Volume 2 Chapter 3: The New Year (3)
205 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The New Year (3)

International Legation, Peking, Qing Empire

“Don’t worry… the German forces in Manchuria would arrive soon. We don’t even need to create a coalition of relief forces as we Germans alone can do it!”

While the two are talking, another person is coming to join in their conversation. It is the German Ambassador, Baron Bilovy, who is confident that the German Army would arrive earlier even if it would come alone without help from other world powers.

Both Ambassador Mckinley and Cornwall can’t rebut the statement of the German Ambassador. The German Empire has the largest forces in East Asia aside from the Japanese forces, which is the regional powerhouse in the area.

“With hundred of thousand of our forces in Manchuria. They can save us from this encirclement and can totally destroy this puny rebellion,” Baron Bilovy added with a snide remark. “The German Army reigns supreme, unlike others who can only use their cunning tongues without lifting any work.”

“Flexing military power in every policy and deals with others can only alienate other nations in making sincere treaties and negotiation with such a brawn-minded country,” Ambassador Cornwall needs to defend his country as if he would not, this would be humiliating as there are other Ambassadors present listening and waiting to any rebut from this statement that is clearly undermining the British Empire. “It would only bring that country spiral into destruction soon.”

Ambassador Cornwall respond in a gentle but firm manner, indirectly hinting that the German Empire would collapse on its own making. That the Germans are foolish in betting everything with their military strength in every move they have done, and it won’t be long before such actions would have dire consequences.

Baron Bilovy wants to respond to what he deems a harsh and humiliating response but they are interrupted by the French Ambassador, Count Charlie Pierce.

“Gents, it is not time for such squabbles. Today is a day of celebration in the midst of the attacks. We should be more united now than ever as we are facing a common enemy. You would only cause discouragement to the men here,” Count Pierce said. The Count is trying to be the mediator between the squabble of the German and British Ambassadors as he sees that this is not the time to be in conflict. Other Ambassadors also know this but the two are Ambassadors of two more powerful countries and they fear earning the ire of these powerful persons present, only the French can stand shoulder to shoulder with these two powerful empires and can rebuke and mediate the two.

“I also believed what Ambassador Bilovy had said. If any nation is capable of immediately launching a relief force toward Peking, it would be the Germans who have several hundred of thousand strong in the area.” Count Pierce added. He wants to diffuse the situation and giving a compliment to the German side would help this and the British side would be not too hurt by this as they are more mature in such diplomatic tactics and would know what he is doing now is necessary.

“I think we must start the meeting fellow Ambassadors. Time is of the essence and we still have a lot of things to do,” Count von Kleitz, the Ambassador of the Austrian Empire, also intercedes in the squabble to change the discussion from the squabble to the more important thing which is the conflict of Qing Empire.

“I also agree.”

“Me too.”

The other ambassadors also agreed with the statement that forces the two to stop their squabble for it would be immature and childish to continue. The two can only nod and also agree with the ambassadors.

“Let’s go to the other room that we prepared for the meeting,” Ambassador Juan Perez added, the Spanish Ambassador in Peking. As the host of the New Year party, the Spanish tried their best to make the celebration as best it can be even in the midst of the chaos, and it can be seen as they were still able to decorate the entire place and prepare a lot of foods even if they can’t procure from the outside.

The celebration may be simple and bare but it is very significant to keep the morale and confidence of the people high. Even on the outside, there are small celebrations happening around for the new year. The Qing Empire also seems to respect the celebration of the new year as no attacks are happening around the International Legation for a day.

The Ambassadors follow the Spanish Ambassadors as they leave the party towards the room that the Spanish had prepared for the meeting. The people around the party noticed the ambassadors leaving but no one minds as everyone knows that the Ambassadors would have a meeting regards to the next move that the International Legation would make.

The Ambassadors then arrived at a large size room that is enough for everyone to stay in comfortably to conduct a meeting. There are guards outside from different nations to ensure that their ambassadors are safe from any possible covert attacks. There is also a large circular table with chairs around where the Ambassadors would conduct a meeting.

“I think it is time to start the meeting gents. There is no need for meeting formalities, we would just move directly towards the agendas that we need to tackle.”

Due to the short squabble between the German and the British Ambassador, it is now left to do French Ambassador to preside over the meeting which the other unanimously agreed with.

“Let’s start with the German plan to expand the area we are controlling to Chang An Street and if possible also Ha-Ta-Men Street, on the grounds that we can be more flexible and needs a larger area for the refugees to stay in,” Count Pierce said, opening with the most important agenda for the meeting as there is no need to make any more detour agendas as the situation is very dire.

“I think I disagree with the proposal. It is hard to control a bigger area with our limited manpower right now. Also, the only reason we can hold and have fewer casualties is that we are on the defensive, and expanding means we need to push the men to attack and would then incur unnecessary casualties that we can’t replace,” as expected, the first to disagree would be the British Ambassador as he sees this is just a way of men and resources to mount an offensive that would bring more area to protect that would expend more men and resources.

The German Ambassador becomes angry as it looks like the British Ambassador is specifically targeting them in anything. He then argues with Ambassador Cornwall why attacking would be better than to be sitting idle in their defensive lines, waiting for their deaths. Ambassador Cornwall also reasoned that they are barely holding the positions that they had and that adding more would thin out their forces protecting the new areas.

Ambassador Bilovy added that they can arm some of the European civilians and the Christian Chinese to fight with them. Adding more areas can also help them from the overcrowding that they are currently experiencing due to the huge number of refugees they had.

The other ambassadors can only listen to the arguing ambassadors as two are debating and the others can’t intercede anymore in their discussion. The others can only helplessly listen to the two and even Count Pierce tried to mediate but it only worsens the arguing between the two as both of them have a point.

“I agree with Baron von Bilovy.”

In the midst of the debate, there is one person who interrupts the two. It is the Austrian Ambassador in Peking, Count Nicol von Kleitz. He speaks in a soft but firm voice in agreement with the German Ambassador. Ambassador Bilovy smiles as the Austrian agreed with his suggestion while Ambassador Cornwall frowned. Count von Kleitz noticing that everyone’s focus is on him, explains why he agrees with the Germans.

“I believe that we need to exert an effort to show to the Qing officials that we would not cower in the corner and also our legation building together with the Belgians and Sardinians would be more secured if we expand the area and give space to the refugees that are already crowding in the streets.” Count Kleitz added. “We can arm them with any weapons like swords and spears, anything that can be used… and let them be in the front as we launch the offensive.”

The other Ambassadors were thankful that Count von Kleitz stop the arguing German and British ambassadors listened sincerely to what he is saying and agrees that there are more benefits in launching an attack than just staying in their current positions. Also arming the Chinese and using them to be in the front in the attack lessen the danger of losing European soldiers in the offensive making the suggestion a more alluring prospect on what they should do.

With the other ambassadors agreeing with the suggestion, Ambassador Cornwall can only agree half-heartedly while Ambassador Bilovy is smiling as he was able to defeat his British counterpart and able to take revenge for the humiliation in the party.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4