Volume 2 Chapter 6: Count Abelard’s Visit (2)
179 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Volume 2 Chapter 6

Count Abelard’s Visit (2)

Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austrian Empire

“How about the Hungarians? Any movements that are connecting the Hungarians and the Ottomans working together?” Crown Prince Justinian feels that aside from the monetary and weapon support that the Ottomans are supplying, they are more dealings and support of a much sinister kind is being sent to the Hungarian revolutionaries.

“About that Your Imperial Highness, after the last major operation that our men conducted at the border, there aren’t any weapon dealings that are happening in the border sir. It seems that the Ottomans had to stop aiding the movement or else they would suffer more.” Count Abelard confidently replies to the Crown Prince. The Austrian Government had tried its best to capture and prevent any weapons and equipment being smuggled inside its borders that can be used by the Hungarian revolutionaries in the future.

And every time there are successful in their sting operations and ambushes, the media, and newspaper that being secretly supported by the Crown Prince, spreads the news to the Austrian people to inflame their hearts against the Ottomans but the news didn’t say for whom would be the weapons to be given to. The goal is to increase the hostility between the Austrian public against the Ottoman military so that in a time of conflict, Austria is united to fight against the Ottomans.

“By the way Your Imperial Highness, it seems your plan in uniting the Empire into one nationality and people is having difficulty in the Hungarian region Your Imperial Highness.”

“Yes it seems, but His Imperial Majesty and I have already expected that outcome as the Hungarians still need to be crushed thoroughly before we can implement it. But in other regions like Bohemia, Veneto, Trieste, and Dalmatia, a large chunk of the population already think that they are Austrian Germans and is rapidly being assimilated especially the younger generation.”

Aside from the Hungarian majority regions in the Empire, the assimilation of the Austrian Empire, especially in the western and southern parts, has been largely successful. Most of the speakers in the other regions of the empire can speak the German language and they have a positive affinity to the Austrian culture.

“The plays and pieces of literature that are glorifying of the life and deeds of famous Austrian men and events like the Austrian Victory at the Battle of Bohemia in the Russo-Prussian war of 1832, Prince Eugene of Savoy, the Roman Empire, the heroic stand of the Austrian in the siege of Vienna and many more have been circulating across the empire Your Imperial Highness.” Count Abelard is really amazed at how the Austrian Empire is pursuing assimilating the empire into one united people and he added. “Your Imperial Highness’ policies had openly gone against the wishes of those Hungarians who for centuries had held to their power in their regions.”

Awakening the Austrian Empire's national identity is one of the main focus not only of Crown Prince Justinian pursued but also of the current Austrian Emperor – Franz Joseph for decades. One of the main reasons why the Austrian Empire had become weak and incompetent in history is because it can’t tap into its full power and potential due to the division and intrigue between different ethnicities.

Especially for the Hungarians who were able to exert their influence and power even if Hungary become part of the Austrian domain during the 16th century. After the death of Louis II of Hungary in the Battle of Mohacs who had no heirs for the throne, Ferdinand I of Austria was able to get the throne through his marriage with Louis II’s sister, Anne of Bohemia and Hungary, and the rest is history.

But even if the Hungarians are technically under the Habsburgs and Austrian rule, they were able to worm out and gain concessions and influence in preserving their power in the Hungarian lands. The division they had caused weakened the strength of the Austrian Empire which can be used in international affairs and relations. Any method and attempts of the Austrians to try to assimilate the Hungarians were met by protests and opposition from the Hungarians.

Because of the situation, the Austrian Empire had always maintained a conservative stance and policies and is scared of any changes in the balance of power. As any changes would bring a drastic change in the status quo of the empire. The uncentralized nature of the Austrian Empire means that it couldn’t raise funds and taxes as effectively as its neighbors and couldn’t also develop a large and well-equipped army compare to its neighbors, forcing the Austrians to adopt a conservative and defensive approach to war.

“That’s why conflict with the Hungarians is inevitable and making them collaborators with the hated Ottomans would weaken their power and influence in the future. Sweeping them once and for all is needed for the internal unity of the empire and we can now start looking outward than maintaining the status quo and slowly waiting for our demise…”

Crown Prince Justinian looks at the map of the Austrian Empire hanging on the walls. The Austrian Empire is big, bigger than Germany, France, and Great Britain on the European continent. It has the potential to compete and wage for dominance of the continent and the entire world.

But due to the internal division that it is experiencing, it can’t spread its wing and now the enemy in the south is trying to truly end its reign. But amidst such challenge and pressure, there is also an opportunity. An opportunity to reverse everything and become much more than a divided and weak nation. A chance to gain and become the world power it wants to be.

That’s why he and Emperor Franz Joseph were willing to bet almost everything in this one chance and everything should be prepared to ensure its success. Count Abelard, as a close confidant to both the Crown Prince and the Emperor, finds this absurd and risky, as the Austrian doctrine throughout history is to avoid such risky wars and always pursue diplomacy, but what is brewing right now is the opposite.

Using an external threat to also destroy the internal threat is one of the basic strategies in all things like war and politics, but implementing this is a different story. He can’t imagine how much time, effort, and resources are put into these.

“Your Imperial Highness, I was still shocked by the scale and detail that you are planning.” Count Abelard is genuinely amazed by the scale that the Habsburgs are willing to gamble on now. It might be the cause that would destroy the empire but still, they are willing to take it.

“Do you believe in life after death Count?”

Crown Prince Justinian asks out of the blue this question to the Count. The Count at first is confused why the Crown Prince asks him but still, he answers what he believes in.

“I only believe in Heaven and Hell in the afterlife Your Imperial Highness. I don’t believe in reincarnations and such sir.”

“Let’s just say that there is reincarnation and life after death, and if you die and are reborn in a position to where am I right now, what would you do with such power?”

“I don’t know…”

The conversation between the two was then interrupted by a knock from outside. The guards had said from outside that Emperor Franz Joseph is asking for the Crown Prince’s presence in the garden where he is staying right now.

“Your Imperial Highness, I think it's time for me to leave. Other pieces of information and details are in here Your Imperial Highness.”

“Okay, Count. You can leave.”

“thank you Your Imperial Highness.”

The Count then stands in attention and salutes the Crown Prince before he leaves the room. He left a document where he said other information can be found for his report. Crown Prince Justinian then stands up and prepares also to leave his office as his grandfather, the Emperor, is asking for him. He doesn’t know why the Emperor is asking for him but he hopes that it would be either good news or an important thing.

He looks toward the mirror and adjusts the white military uniform he is wearing. He wants to look presentable and good in front of others, as it would serve as a good role model to others and for his reputation. It is already proven that outward appearance plays an important role for a person as it can reflect him as a person.

After he thinks that he looks fine and presentable, he then walks towards the door and leaves the room. One of the guards guarding his office follows him as a security detail for the Crown Prince. One guard is enough as he is currently inside the Hofburg Palace of the Habsburg in Vienna but if he would go outside then he must bring enough security detail to ensure his security. As the world had become more chaotic, powerful persons like him need to ensure that he is safe wherever and whenever it may be.

There are a lot of things running inside the mind of the Crown Prince as he walks on the Palace halls he wasn’t able to hear the gossip of the nobles that he walks past into them.

It might be a good thing or not, time could only tell.

******

Sad day :( RIP Not Graduating this semester

4