Volume 2 Chapter 11: Arriving in Berlin
185 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11

Arriving in Berlin

Berlin City, German Empire

The moon is high above the night skies of Berlin, but it is still full of life and color. There are still a lot of people on the streets, going home from their long jobs in the offices and factories where they work on. But in the middle of the normal night scene of the city, a convoy of the same vehicles is traversing the roads standout. A convoy like this means there is an important person inside and they were not wrong.

“Your Imperial Highness, we are near to our destination,” Crown Prince Justinian’s trusted man, Count Karl Alexander of Wurttemberg, wakes up the Crown Prince that they have arrived at the German Empire’s Capital.

The long travel from the Austrian Empire to the German Empire is tiring and boring so Crown Prince Justinian slept well during the entire trip. Almost the entire vacation that he has is used in working and making plans and preparation for the future of the Empire that he has spent a little time resting and spending time with family and other close people. The Count and the men around the Crown Prince know that he needs time to rest so they let him take a rest in the journey.

The Crown Prince, after waking up, looks towards the streets their vehicle passes on. He sees the happy and active faces of the German citizens, even if he is a monarch of a different empire, the affinity of the two empires is very tight and close as most of their citizens are mostly Germans. The thought of seeing the German citizens of the German Empire makes him feel good and happy.

But it also makes him feel sad and anguish of the thought the German Empire is currently their rival for Central Europe and German race dominance. That the German Empire might be possibly become a bitter enemy of Austria in the future. In both his past life and current life timelines, the German and Austrian Empire has competed for becoming the sole dominant German nation position in the European continent.

In his past life history, it had culminated to the Austro-Prussian war or the German Civil war that ends up with the victory of the north and pave the way for the German empire under the Prussian rule and Justinian wants to keep it that way but not in the expense of an Austrian defeat and humiliation. Crown Prince Justinian knows that it would be a huge folly if the Austria aspires to unite the entire German speaking regions under its rule, and it would be better for the northern Prussian to gain the notoriety and opposition of the other European powers while Austria will gain and built its strength in the sideline.

“Lin and her family had already arrived and went home already Your Imperial Highness. I’m sorry that we didn’t wake you up, but they also think that you should take as much rest as you can.” Count Karl Alexander added.

“Oh... it’s fine. It is also my fault for being asleep the entire time.” Crown Prince Justinian said while looking up above the skies. He is saddened that he was unable to meet Lin before her and her family went home, but he knows they will soon meet at the start of the classes.

The trip could have been shortened if they instead ride on a train towards Berlin from the German border, but Justinian and his security detail thinks that it is much safer to travel through a convoy than in a train. It is fine to rode train if it is under the management and inside the Austrian Empire but abroad it would be a different matter as their fate and security is on the hands of the foreign nation.

The foreign nation might not use such underhanded methods to keep good relations and reputation, but it would be much better to be safe than sorry.

“Your Imperial Highness, we are here,” the Count said, happy that they have arrived so that the Crown Prince, the security detail and him can have a proper rest.

In front of them is a large two-story mansion with a garden in front enclosed with a high fence around it. The mansion serves as a royal mansion for any Austrian Imperial family to stay when they visited or stayed in the German capital. This was a gift by the Hohenzollerns to the Habsburgs after the Napoleonic wars as a gesture of friendship and respect.

Crown Prince Justinian and others then at once got out of the vehicle and they were greeted by the people who are keeping the mansion clean and organized. Crown Prince Justinian and Count Karl Alexander continue to walk inside the mansion, they need to take rest for tomorrow is the last day before the start of the classes again. Today or tomorrow might be the last day of their rest as they would be busy again for classes or any activities and plans that need their attention.

But when they entered the mansion, they were greeted by a young German foreign affairs officer waiting for them. It seems that there is something important that needed to be discussed urgently with the German Government. The young German officer bows his head and seems nervous as he is meeting the Austrian Crown Prince, an ordinary man like him is not equal as the man in front of him, a future ruler of an entire empire.

“I greet the Austrian Crown Prince, Your Imperial Highness.”

“It is good to meet with an esteemed officer of the German Empire. It means no disrespect, but may we ask what is your purpose of visitation that needs to be urgently discussed?”

It is not Crown Prince Justinian who replies but Count Karl Alexander. Even if they are exhausted of the long trip, they need to make time with the young officer as it seems urgent. They don’t need to make pretense and at once get to the point as they want to rest from the trip.

“Good day to you sirs, our Prime Minister would like to meet with Your Imperial Highness as soon as possible. Here is the letter from him.” The young officer nervously gives the letter to the Count which gives the letter to Crown Prince Justinian. The letter has the seal and symbol of the Office of the German Prime Minister, and it seems genuine.

But the Count feel offended of what the German is trying to do with them. Even if it is urgent, they must follow and show proper rules and etiquette and not like this, meeting them as they enter the mansion. It is like that they see the Austrian Empire as a minor power or a subordinate nation. Austria is still a major power in Europe even if it is weakened or have been in declined for decades. Also, it is the Germans who needs something and is requesting the meeting with them, they should show the proper respect especially they are asking to meet with the Austrian Crown Prince.

The young officer didn’t know what he had just done as he is very nervous and didn’t think that what he had just done offended the Austrians. It is only Crown Prince Justinian who was able to see the scene properly as he is the only one in proper mind of the three present, the Count is tired and weary from the long trip while the young German officer is very nervous and seems tired from waiting for them to arrive. It seems that the young officers waited for hours for them to arrive.

But nonetheless he would not show pity to the young officer and would use this accident to the Austrian’s advantage. It is the Germans who are asking for something and the disrespect they show can be use in the negotiations.

“Say to the Prime Minister that he can visit us here tomorrow. We are only free tomorrow afternoon so if the Prime Minister wants to meet me, then it would be tomorrow afternoon.” Crown Prince Justinian replies. The two men looks towards the Crown Prince and are shock of what he had just said.

To ordinary people, what Crown Prince Justinian had said seems simple and correct. But it is significant and challenging to the eyes of the German Prime Minister and politics, as he is the one who should visit the Austrian Crown Prince. Making the old German Prime Minister comes to visit the young Austrian Crown Prince instead of vice versa means that Austria is the one who has the upper hand in the negotiation.

The German officer wants to talk back to the Austrian Crown Prince, but he realizes the mistakes that he had done, and it would be more impolite to offend the Austrians more. He feels scared of the mistake he has made and the disaster that it would cause for the Prime Minister that can be used by the opposing faction of the Prime Minister in the government.

The officer can only nod and asks the two men to leave. He can’t continue to stay any further as it would be more troubling for the negotiation. He can only face the reprimand and consequences of his actions but first he must go to the Prime Minister and report.

Crown Prince Justinian looks outside through the window and sees a car leaving. For him, the mistake done by the young officer as heaven send as he would need to have some justification and advantages to make a deal with the Germans.

-- -- -- -- --

I hope that you would also read and follow my other work - The White Wolf of Aquintaine in the Webnovel app/site. More Chapters (up to Volume 2 Chapter 25) of Justinian of Austria with maps and other information in my Patreon Page. I hope that you would support me in my Patreon page! Any support would be appreciated.

Also, images of some characters of the Justinian of Austria can be found in my Patreon page. 

Justinian of Austria Characters (AI generated) | Wew War on Patreon

Thank you for reading! 

3