Volume 2 Chapter 13: The Meeting with the German Chancellor (1)
184 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13 

The Meeting with the German Chancellor (1)

Berlin City, German Empire

Amidst the large protests happening across Berlin, the Habsburg mansion has kept its peace and tranquility. Dozens of servants and workers are working to support and organize the estate as Crown Prince Justinian and his entourage are staying at the place until the start of the semester class. There are Austrian soldiers patrolling across the huge garden to make sure no intruders enter and threaten the life of the Crown Prince.

While the people in the mansion are continuing their jobs and duties, two black government vehicles have entered quietly the gates of the two-story mansion owned by the Habsburgs in the city of Berlin. On the front of their vehicles are small flags of the German Empire is found, meaning that the vehicle is from the German government and not from the Austrians.

The people in the mansion, upon seeing the German vehicles, has urgently continue their duties as it seems that their day would become more busier due to the guests that are now in the mansion. More guards cordoned and guarded towards the entrance gate as some protestors followed the vehicles, bringing large protest signs and placards.

These protestors are angry because their government is still supporting and allying with the Ottoman Empire. The invasion of the Ottomans on the Principality of Montenegro is still fresh on the minds of the people, and allying with a Muslim nation who is invading a European Christian nation is an affront for the European community. They want their government to end its close ties with the Ottomans and instead send support to the Montenegrins who are facing the huge army of the Ottomans.

As time went by, more and more protests are springing across the German Empire as the news about the invasion spread. Even no matter how hard the German Empire keep the news and information from spreading or downplaying it, the people are still angry of the prospect of Ottoman expansion in Europe. Most Europeans still fear and know of the horror of centuries ago when the Ottomans tried to expand into Europe, even reaching the gates of Vienna, and now it seems the Ottoman Empire would try again to expand into the European heartlands.

Any government officials and vehicles that the protestors see, they would chase it and attack. Mostly instigated by foreign powers or Montenegrin sympathizers, the protests and attacks have become more violent and extreme, like burning vehicles and stores and throwing stones and objects to government officials.

Even other states like Austria, Russia, France and Great Britain didn’t escape the protests unscathed. Their countries are also experiencing protests across their borders due to them ignoring and giving a blind eye to the conflict. Their people want their government to take direct action in the conflict.

The tension is getting stronger as the two vehicles stop in front of the Habsburg mansion. The servants around the vehicles stop and slightly bow their head as the people from the vehicle are starting to get off from the vehicles. The men who come out from the vehicles seems all important and significant as they are also escorted by some guards.

Together with the visitors is an old man who is protected by most of the guards. With his firm and calm demeanor, everyone knows that he is the most important person in the group. It is no other than the Chancellor of the German Empire, Chancellor Wilhelm Hart, one of the most powerful person in the German Empire and the entire world.

The Chancellor, seeing the servants and workers bowing their heads to him, signals them to continue what they are doing. He doesn’t want to disturb what the people around are doing as he is only a visitor or a guest in this mansion.

Then they walk towards the entrance of the mansion where they are greeted by a young man wearing a full Austrian noble attire. The young man also bows his head slightly then raise it with a smile and respectful gaze towards them.

“Welcome Your Excellency.” Count Karl Alexander, standing in front of the mansion, greets the Chancellor and his entourage who have just arrived.

******

The Chancellor enters the mansion following Count Karl Alexander. The Chancellor’s entourage also follows them closely as they enter the mansion. The mansion is not as huge like the other German mansions owned by the Hohenzollerns in the German Empire but still it is large enough that the visitors need someone to guide them when entering the place.

In the mansion, there are a lot of priceless objects and antiques like porcelain from Asia, Maximillian plate armors from the 16th century, Medieval and Renaissance paintings and other priceless objects. But even such objects didn’t get the attention of the Chancellor as he also owns such large amounts of such objects in his home.

The one that gets his attention is the high number of eastern people serving and working in the mansion. It seems true that the Crown Prince is fond of the people from the far east. After knowing that the Austrian Government has removed a lot of people in their ranks who are suspected as spies, there are a lot of vacant positions and occupations in the Austrian government that can be filled in.

And as the new treaty between the Austrian Government and three Asian states – the Qing China, Meiji Japan and Kingdom of Siam, the citizens of these countries have a huge opportunity to work in the Austrian Empire. Skilled worker jobs like servants, house cleaners, gardeners and workers, to doctors and engineers are very enticing for these eastern foreigners who wants to work in Europe.

As long as they can speak German and after a thorough check of their identities, they can be allowed to search jobs in Austria, especially jobs who are under the administration of the Crown Prince.

The Chancellor knows the pros and cons of these move, but it seems that the advantages overcome the disadvantages as he can see. It might be due to the decrease of the number of people from Africa and middle-easterners descent origin, there is no significant change of the employees of European origin. It just seems that the Asians replaced the Africans and Middle-Easterners.

“It seems that His Imperial Highness, has made this place home.” Chancellor Wilhelm started to talk with the Count. He knows that the Count, even though young, has a large voice and influence on the young Austrian Crown Prince. The Count has always been on the side with the Crown Prince for years and serves as the assistant of the Crown Prince. He would soon serve a high post in the Austrian Government when the Crown Prince ascends the throne.

“Yes, Your Excellency, after staying here for years, His Imperial Highness has also view this city as his second home. The affinity between us and your people is very high Your Excellency.” Count Karl Alexander replies respectfully.

“Hahaha... Good... Good... it seems that His Imperial Highness held Berlin in high regard,” the Chancellor happily said.

The Chancellor’s entourage are also happy hearing that the Austrian Crown Prince likes Berlin. They know that there are grievances for having the heirs of foreign powers study in another country, especially if the deal is made after its humiliating defeat. Especially for the Austrian Empire who is also a large empire, having their Crown Prince and other prominent and notable nobles to study in Berlin is like having their future hostage to the whims and influence of the German Empire.

The German Empire were able to force the Austrian Empire and other states who are defeated in Russo-Prussian war of 1832 in this term in exchange for lenient terms like no or small territorial lose and less war debt. Only the Russian Empire can escape these humiliating terms but in exchange for the lost a lot of territories and pay a huge war debt.

“His Imperial Highness sees the people here in this city as also his own people for they are all German people. If the people here need help, he is willing to give a helping hand as he sees this as his duty to help the German people.” Count Karl Alexander replies to the Chancellor humbly.

But hidden behind the Count’s humble replies are deep thorns that didn’t go unnoticed to the Chancellor and his people. For Austria has always believe that they are the rightful rulers of the German people. Centuries ago, they have ruled and controlled the entire German lands through the Holy Roman Empire and many still believes so. Many Austrians believe that the Prussians has stolen what should rightfully for Austria and that created a deep rift and rivalry between the two.

The defeat of the Austrians during the Russo-Prussian war of 1832 further deepens the divide and hate from each other. Decades past, and the wounds are slowly healing but the hate is still there. That’s one of the reasons that the Austrians would always see the German Empire as Prussia and not someone who stands for Germany.

The Count, Chancellor and the entourage then descends into silence as they walk towards where the Austrian Crown Prince is staying.

-- -- -- -- --

I hope that you would also read and follow my other work - The White Wolf of Aquintaine in the Webnovel app/site. 
Buy me a coffee - WewWar25 is creating the novel Justinian of Austria (buymeacoffee.com)

Thank you for reading!

3