Chapter 10 – HLE practical
34 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The first actually long chapter, at least for me.

HLE practical was always after theories according to his timetable. They walked into a room much larger than the one they took Sam’s class in. There was all kinds of equipment and padding. Gages showing readings, sensors and computers lined the room.

Standing in the center was the person he assumed to be the Professor of the class and he was a Framer. With long brown hair tied back in a ponytail and dressed in a lab coat, grey sweater and black pants he stood just above five and a half feet in height making him the second shortest in the room just above the unknown girl who needed help with her device.

“Hello fellow Framer subjects. I am Professor John Hanford. I am to be your instructor for the Hyper Logical Essence practical.” He talked in an almost robotic tone with very few inflections in his words while also pacing around the room.

“This class would consist of learning practical uses of HLE, hence the name. You all should know what we are going to go through in today’s lesson but I would go over it again anyway as I am sure some of you are out of practice after your year of return to normal society.” He turned to them and as if he just noticed they were all just standing at the door he indicated for them to all come in.

The group walked in and he directed them to stand in two rows of ten.

“We would be measuring your abilities as well, just like how ever human has a talent and difference in ability, this is the same for Framers. As you should all know. It starts from the moment you become a Framer. Eighty percent of Framers are stuck at the Pre-Alpha class for life. More powerful than a normal human but about on par with a modified or enhanced human. You of course gain abilities on top of that giving you and advantage, but you aren’t exactly a force to be reckoned with. You also aren’t qualified or required to be here as a student and can pursue you own dream in life. So, it could be called a blessing in disguise, although you would be first in line to be drafted either during war time or against Drakker threats that require more hands.”

“Note that I said more hands.” He remarked with some level of emphasis entering his voice for the first time.

“The world has changed drastically in the last two hundred years to the point that individuals are more useful than armies. More specifically I mean Framers and Drakker of course.”

A hand was raised.

“No questions, question time would be at the end please. And I know what you want to ask about, while it is somewhat obvious why this is the case. I am not going to elaborate on it regardless, it would be mentioned in your tactics class.”

“Continuing. Of the remaining twenty percent only just seventeen percent become regarded as Theta class Framers and most would be in the first level of Theta class or barely considering Theta class in the first place due to some conditions that decide the rankings. That means between three and four of you might be considered Theta class in the future, well on average. For reference I would be considered a level two Theta class Framer.”

“What about Isabel?” Legias practically growled.

“You spoke out of turn, but I would allow it.” The man’s facial expression had the approximation of a smile, it was like his lips were stretched across his face in a decidedly inhuman manner. The whole class cringed uncomfortably.

“Isabel is a special case. She is officially like me, a level two Theta class. But honestly her actual strength is more like that of a Zeta class. I can’t say more than that as it would be overstepping my bounds.” He paused before staring straight a Legias.

“Ah Legias, you were the one she sent to the infirmary, give up on having revenge any time soon. Isabel is far more than you saw. Your classes would show you how much she held back in that beating and even that would not be enough to show the true differences in your strengths.” His face went back to the neutral mask.

“Next is the Zeta class, originally thought of as the final class due to no one breaching it and its power already seen as godlike no one thought there could be anything beyond it. The percentage of Theta classes that become a Zeta class varies but we believe that it is at two percent at the moment. There are two hundred known people in the world considered Zeta class today. The Northern Federation has the most Framers. We have thirty of that number making us a powerhouse in the post Expanse world. Nicholai is one such Zeta class Framer. I do not know his level but I believe he is at least a level two.”

Using this ‘concrete’ number and the one in ten thousand humans factoid. Parth was able to figure out that there were nearly three hundred thousand Framers worldwide. Currently the world was made up of about four billion humans after The Expanse and Wars so the number just about tracked is a bit lower than expected. Nicholai was also a Zeta class Framer making him the most powerful person Parth had laid his eyes on.

“Finally, we had the revered Omega class, only one person has reached this level. That being the one and only Lion of Gold, Jyllian. As you would expect her power is tremendous. I have not met her and like most of you have only seen images of her a few decades ago…Let me ask you all, what do you think officially defines the classes of Framers.”

The unknown girl went for this one, her long dark purple hair reached past her waist and her face held large eyes that were just a dark void. Combined with her tiny facial features and height she looked almost fairy like. Weird swirly tattoo like markings were visible in every exposed part of her body but her face. It was slightly unsettling, but the effect was reduced by her nervous posture.

“Th-Their strength sir?”

“Not exactly wrong but not quite right either. You see our strength does vary as I said we all have talents. I could never beat some Theta class or even very physical strong able Alpha level three class Framers in a pure physical fight even if I can easily overpower any of you. Likewise, I have the advantage with HLE formations. Don’t ask I would explain that later. No, what defines the classes is the form we can call our Frame in.”

“Pre-Alphas simply cannot as you all know which is why they are Pre-Alphas. A Frame is simply too strong for any Pre-Alpha of any strength to deal with. You Alphas can call at least one or two limbs. Typically, at level three you can materialize a complete half of a Frame and when taught properly you would be calling the upper more useful half hopefully.”

“After all Frames are tougher than the Framer counterpart regardless of their strength and at the Theta class can use their abilities to a greater extent. And so what is the difference between a Thera and Alpha class?” He asked rhetorically.

“We can materialize a full Frame and as I said they can use our abilities. Now I can guess what you are thinking, how do you go from forming a full Frame to an even higher level? Well, the simple answer is that your Frame becomes more powerful and that is correct. But your Frame also becomes more unique in its physical appearance and grows with your abilities but an even more importantly you can do something called a Framer merge.”

Parth had never heard of this. The Zeta class was almost never discussed beyond being even more powerful than Theta classes to an almost mythical level in both secrecy and expected power.

“A Framer merge is when the Framer indeed merges with their Frame. The Frame becomes more compact without losing its power advantage over the Framer and so the Framer gains a massive increase in capability at every attribute from their physical ability to their HL abilities to HLE formations, this combined with their massively more powerful Frame when compared to Thetas make them a whole other tier of power. Any rumors you have heard of their power is likely an understatement to keep the generally human public from panicking yet again about Framers. Not like that has stopped the forming of the Anti-Framer League.”

That seemed ridiculous to Parth considering her had heard that Zeta classes could turn a city into rubble in moments.

As for the Anti-Framer League, they are a country far in the south of the world. Countries and people that kept the threat of Framers in the forefront of their mind had formed the nation and banned any Framer from entering. They also invested heavily in their own brand of Haze technology.

“Finally, there is the single Omega class Jyllian. Like the other classes you can assume that the Frame becomes more powerful, but I do not quite know what else is gained here. It is hidden even from me. Though I have heard rumors from my own sources.” He had his hands spread with fingers pressed together in front of him as he paced back and forth.

“It is said that instead of the Framer merging with the Frame. The Frame merges with the Framer.”

Parth frowned.

“Now you might be thinking…that does not make any sense. And you would be right in most cases. After all, that sounds like the same thing. It is both merging after all. But think about the wording and the implication. Who would like a guess at what I am getting at?”

Parth nodded and began with John’s affirmation.

“If the Frame gets smaller in the Zeta class…does the Framer get bigger instead? And doesn’t this imply that that the Framer has surpassed the Frame in power?”

“Good, very good. That is correct for the theory. Some believe that the end point of a Framer is some kind of transcendence or apotheosis. Some believe that Jyllian has either reached it, or is close to it. I do not necessarily believe that to be the case but I do know one thing and this is almost going to sound conspiratory. But, Jyllian has become something beyond every one of us and I believe this is why she is never present anymore in the public eye.”

Parth had wondered about that. Jyllian as the strongest and most popular Framer out there was also a public figure and appeared quite consistently for PR reasons. Over thirty years ago however she was seen less and less frequently until she stopped appearing altogether. There were even rumors that as someone over a hundred years old she had died, despite not looking any different from her early thirties. As Parth knew it, powerful Rogue Framers had tried to make a move in her absence but got destroyed as usual, meaning that she was still alive and out there.

“This is all a small introduction to the Framer classes and what they mean. Most if not all of you would not experience anything above the Theta class of power, so don’t expect to reach that level.” He turned to a machine in the back of the class.

It attached to the ceiling on a couple of pistons that pushed it down to his level. The white machine had what looked like a typical scanner and a tablet screen.

“This here is the Framer affinity identification device. It identifies what formations a Framer is best at. As for what formations are…it is best to explain them as abilities that every Framer is capable of performing to an extent. Unlike your personal abilities that are supposed to be unique to the person. Every Framer can use the most basic forms of all four types but anything beyond that would require your affinity to line up with the formation you want to use.”

He went on to explain the different identifications and their meanings.

Firstly, Body Activation. An affinity that related to enhancing the Framer’s body beyond its normal means with HLE. Its most basic use would be increasing the Framer’s body strength so every Framer should be able to do at least that much with some training. At higher affinities you could increase movement speed, stamina, reaction times, recovery times and more.

Second was Projection. Projecting HLE outside the body in a destructive formation. Its most basic use was the creation of a barrier that surrounded the body which John demonstrated forming a transparent spherical shield that appeared to be made up of hexagons. Later uses would include HLE blasts and various projections at long range including local weather disruption.

Thirdly, World Examination. Observing the world around you without your eyes. Being able to do small scan of your immediate surroundings to gather info was its most basic use. Later uses include being able to predict upcoming events in the shorter term.

Precise Manipulation was the final affinity. Manipulating your surroundings. Different to Projection in that it was a direct manipulation that ignored the structure of your target making it very dangerous. The most basic use would be what Framers do unconsciously by bringing HLE into the world, what Professor Sam warned us about. People with affinity would learn healing others via touch at first. Cuts and small injuries would be gone in minutes. More training could include mass healing outside of touching range, deconstruction of objects and being able to further boost others temporarily or in rare cases…permanently. Parth thought that this was by far the most dangerous affinity and John appeared to agree.

“Your personal abilities can of course cover whatever you are missing in your affinities and would come more naturally to you anyway so that would be your focus when attempting to improve yourself.

“There is also a rarity ranking on these affinities.” He tapped the screen to the screen bringing up a table.

Common

Body Activation, Projection

Uncommon

World Examination, Dual Hybrid (No Precise manipulation)

Rare

Triple Hybrid (No Precise manipulation)

Very Rare

Precise Manipulation

Extremely rare

Dual, Triple Hybrid and Quadruple Hybrid (All with Precise Manipulation)

 

Precise manipulation was a very rare on its own and so having it with any other combination as well was automatically in the extremely rare category. Weirdly it was more common to be a triple hybrid of all the other affinities than to have Precise Manipulation on its own. And of course, as a Quad Hybrid you automatically had the affinity.

“Again, having a rare affinity does not mean strength there are a few quad hybrids that are simple Alphas or even Pre-Alphas though rarer. I would now be testing you all. Step up please, one at a time. Stella?”

The tattooed girl whose name he now knew was Stella was first.

She walked into a small circular pad in front of the machine. A mist like substance which Parth knew was the effect of Haze appear around her head wide enough to fit her body in it like a large halo before quickly moving down her body. This happened three times in quick succession before the machine stopped and words showed up on the screen.

“Impressive, our first scan and she is a triple hybrid excluding Body Activation.” John’s voice as monotone as ever despite the situation.

“But beware that Precise Manipulation is the hardest to learn to its limits.”

One by one they all took a scan and had their results. Most of the class was at least a dual hybrid with most having Body Activation as one affinity. Legias only had Body Activation affinity which the Professor said would allow him to focus on that compared to having to spread his time.

Everleigh was a dual hybrid with Body activation and Projection with the twins also being dual hybrids with body activation but with World Examination as the second for one and Precise Manipulation for the other.

Constantine was a triple hybrid with everything but Projection.

Parth was also a triple hybrid with everything but Precise Manipulation which he found a bit disappointing.

And of course, Tey was Quad Hybrid. Somehow, he wasn’t surprised. The smug expression on her face said it all. He wouldn’t hear the end of it, would he…

“You should all know this but it has been a year so I would briefly go over the basics. HLE is called from your Frame in what we call the Astral body. Something that all living beings including regular humans have even without having a Frame.”

“Calling HLE from that body involves you drawing out the essence from your Frame without bringing the Frame itself to the world. This means ironically that Pre-Alphas find it easier to do than Alphas as they can not summon their Frames at all. I would let you all do so within these.”

He pointed to various metal blast doors that led into small rooms.

“This is so that if you draw out too much you don’t end up hurting each other.”

Despite his words it went smoothly after all everyone could do the task. Stella had been out of practise, but it did not take her long to get it right, interestingly gaining a word of encouragement from Constantine.

“Good you weren’t all out of practise, some…accidents have happened in the past. I don’t want to have to explain a death in my first lesson to the faculty.” He was deadly serious.

“Formations are just like that but require a lot more finesse and control in calling HLE. The next class we have would be learning to form a Barrier. Everyone can do a basic one regardless of affinity and I would say it is the single most useful basic formation you can learn out there, so make sure to gain it as a crucial part of your arsenal.”

“Questions? And it must be related to this class, I would not answer what could be explained in other classes.”

“Sir, where are your physical mutations?” Constantine asked.

Which surprisingly John answered.

“As you guessed correctly my mutations are currently being hidden by a formation, a combination of Precise Manipulation and Projection.”

Constantine nodded slowly a finger rubbing his black mask.

A few other questions were raised but true to his word, anything related to other classes were unanswered.

3