10
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ror didn’t expect a welcome, nor did he desire one. He returned, he slept, he ate, he bathed. Even Yemi gave him a wide berth. She’d begged him not to go, she alone had the sense to try and stop him. But the others did well to keep silent. It was a thing that had to be done. But those eyes, like the blue in the new star…

Gund had maps laid out on a large flat stone broken off a low outcropping. They’d brought it into their cave and made a table of it. Most of the maps were from a chest Urum managed to save fro the goblins, the rest were gifts from Cloud Hammer. “We don’t have anywhere near the numbers,” Ganly was saying.

“I loath to admit, but your right,” said his brother. Halfur was seated on a shelf of rock above the floor, with a blanket drawn over his legs and waist.

“Are you well?” Ror asked him brusquely.

Halfur nodded. “Well enough.”

Ror nodded and looked at the maps. Gund and Ganly had made room for him at the center of the table. Across from him were Runa and Klar, and about the rest of the table were Neri, Wulden, Zukuz and Urum.

“Can we raise more from the men we still have?” asked Zukuz.

Everyone looked to Ror. “No,” he said. Gund looked especially relieved at his answer. “We’ve armed everyone we can. Those left out are too young and too old. We have to think beyond reclaiming Thrond, to the coming generations.”

“I assume that rules our women out, then,” said Runa.

Ror thought for a moment, as many of Thrond’s women were strong and courageous, and skilled fighters, but they were few, as dwarf women always were. Still... “If it comes to that, Runa, have them ready, but all other options come first.”

“There will be two women in the fight,” she replied with a menacing grin, “no matter what it comes to.”. Zukuz clasped her hand and gave it a squeeze. He had a look of both sadness and pride.

“Fourteen thousand infantry and sappers, plus the Owl Guard,” said Gund. “We need more. No matter what plan we devise.”

“What progress have you made on that?” Ror asked.

There was silence in the cave. “Well?” Ror pressed.

Everyone looked up to Halfur. He rolled his eyes before rising and climbing down to the table. He fumbled through the maps, clutching one arm to his chest and coughing. He found a map of the lower mines and mass forges and set it on top. “We ignite them.”

Ror turned very slowly, tilted his head back, and looked his brother squarely in the eye. “The poison went to your brain.”

“And our defeat went to my heart.”

“Mine too, brother, but I aim to reclaim our mountain, not blast it into the sky.”

Urum cleared his throat and waited for Ror to look at him. Just speak, old man. You’re one of my father’s two closest friends. Why would you fear me? “Go on,” Ror said gently.

“Half the kingdom will be rendered uninhabitable, Dread Highness, it’s true, and we will lose not only the forges, but the lower mines, access to new supply of mannarim, and the roads to Forvangur will be crumbled. But, the enemy forces will be crippled, and we will have the chance to do unto them as they did unto us.”

“We come in through the citadel.”

“As they did to us.”

It was a sound plan, but Ror liked none of it. He looked to Gund and gave him a questioning look.

“I hate it,” Gund said. “But, we have few options. Cloud Hammer can only give us food and shelter for our citizens, though they’ve offered us gold and gems to buy sellswords, if the we chose to go such a route, all to be paid back of course. But, I look at how much careful planning went into the invasion, and that they had an army from an entirely new race of people from some forgotten land to bolster their ranks, and those... creatures. We will need to do something drastic ourselves, if we’re to have any hope of winning. And there’s this..” Gund gave an order to the guards outside their cave and they brought in a white haired old man. He was stopped, and walked slowly with a limp.

“Dread Highness,” he said with a pained bow.

“This is Zaruk,” said Gund, “a labor overseer in the deep tin mines. He’s served us a long time.”

“Thank you,” said Ror. “And what have you to say, Zaruk?”

The old man looked downward and seemed ready to weep. When he spoke, he spoke slowly, and so quietly that Ror had to strain to hear. “The shadowy creatures, they came for us. Somehow, they could ignite the sulfur and gas in the air. They killed most of the men in the mines. My son and I, we escaped. Our crystals were dimming, so he took two torches. They were bright torches, blue, salted with copper, and chloride. They seemed bothered by the torch light. They hovered near, and always tried to get around the torches, so we kept our backs together, and held the torches high. We got to a door into the dimroads, and they blocked us off. My son gave me his torch...”. That was all Zaruk could say. Urum took him by the arm and led him out of the cave.

“The mass forges burn with all sorts of gasses,” said Gund, “including the ohr, if our theories be true. And we could salt them easily enough, just to be certain. It’s the only way we know of driving those monsters out of the kingdom. And that has to happen, for good.”

“Our enemies will likely never dare attack us again,” said Ganly, “knowing what we’re willing to do to reclaim our home.”

“And how are we to access the mass forges?” Ror asked. “Were the Lonely Ohr unconquered, it would be a simple thing, but we’ll have to reclaim the underlands now, and still have a strong enough force to attack from the citadel. And what if they exit through Malgond? They may discover how to command it, especially with as many captives as they have.” It was a thing few spoke of, but their count left many citizens either slain, lost, or prisoners of war.

“I have a thought on that,” said Halfur. “I wanted to wait until you returned to mention it.”

“Well, I’m here.” Ror’s voice was tense. He wasn’t angry with Halfur, though for some reason his ire was flowing toward him. He was angry at a pair of blue eyes, for being out there in the middle of a battle, torturing him with their shock and grief. He had dearly hoped for the battle to be won without him having to face Cara, or to at least have a chance to explain her father’s treachery and the death and sorrow he caused Thrond. But there she was, with Gislain, watching in horror as Ror turned her father’s head into powder. He remembered seeing Salimod’s blood splattered on her face, and the cold look in her eyes. Those blue eyes, like the new star, surrounded by red, the red of her father’s blood. He realized with small embarrassment that Halfur had spoken his idea and he hadn’t even heard him. Everyone was looking at him expectantly. “I’ll consider it,” he said. “I’ll consider everything. We’ve got to try to find another way. Any other way.”

“I have a suggestion,” said Klar. “We could beseech King Derrion. Father and Verrold were always on friendly terms.”

“As were he and Salimod,” said Gund, his frustration beginning to surface.

“What good would human soldiers do us inside the mountain?” asked Wulden. “The air would choke them in most places, and they’ll never navigate the steep stairs and narrow bridges.”

“They could wait outside Malgond,” Klar said. “Then our people could move in full strength from the citadel, while the doomed win back the Lonely Ohr and ignite the mass forges.”

Ror’s eyes widened. “The doomed?”. Halfur looked at him and shook his head. “I was distracted. This was your idea? Halfur, I have half a mind to send you after Salimod. Where are they even at right now? And supposing we could some how find them, you’d send them all to their deaths? After everything I did for Koll...”

Halfur sighed and raised a hand in Ror’s face. Ror wanted to twist his wrist back and break his arm. Then he’d have an excuse to sit with a blanket over his legs like a sickly human. Ror closed his eyes and took a deep breath. I’m not angry with him. “What hope have we of even finding them?”.

“It’s a long shot, Ror, I know. I’m hoping either Buri or Koll might know a way. I haven’t spoken with Buri much, but I gathered from him that most of the doomed were frightened of Valung. If they could be found, and he brought to a just and brutal end, then it may be we could win them over.”

“They may have no knowledge of the invasion,” Urum said. “I doubt Valung would bother telling any but those closest to him. He’s cunning, and not likely to risk any plan of his failing. Of old he only drew a few trusted men to his side, and that proved dangerous enough. Mayhaps we could use his cunning against him, were you able to find the underguard and expose his treachery. You could do this Ror. If you can find them, with Buri and Koll at your side.”

“And Gund,” said Halfur.

Gund jerked his head up and ruffled his bushy white brow. “What good would I be? I’m more useful here, where I can help Klar govern, and prepare our men for the counter invasion.”

“Ganly and Wulden can ready our army,” Halfur replied. “But we need our Army Chief’s authority to bring back the doomed. Father never named his heir. We all know it was going to be Ror, but the doomed don’t know that. You can make demands of Valung, and judgement. And, in times of crisis, give pardons.”

There was a rush of shocked whispers throughout the cave.

“So we’re to pardon them just before sending them to die?” If Halfur was jesting, Ror was not amused.

“No,” Halfur replied. “It would be a joint sacrifice. We’d only need a few of them to guide some of our men. I’d prefer to send only the doomed, but I know such a suggestion would never take spark.”

Now Ror was angry with Halfur, but his plan was too sound to argue against. If there was a chance to find the underguard, he would have to try. Send Klar to Eruhal, with all that’s left of the Stone Guard, and Gund and I can lead a small group to the search for the underguard, given Buri or Koll know where to look. “I’ll need to time to think on it.”

“Of course, Dread Highness,” said Urum.

Ror looked to Halfur. “Use the time to regain your strength. You’re coming with me, and you’re not bringing your blanket.”

Halfur raised an eyebrow and clinched his jaw, but said nothing and gave a slight nod.

When they had cleared away Ror went to find either Buri or Koll. He saw Bok and a few of the other new soldiers. He’d picked up a scar or two at High Alden. Ror saw him fumbling with the strap on his helm in the middle of the battle. That old walrus faced knight held his longsword by the blade and struck Bok hard with the hilt, then kicked him with his sabaton. If Ror hadn’t been there, Bok would likely have died. He held back when he struck the old knight with Malgond. He held back throughout the entire battle, truth be told. Many of the humans he struck with Malgond went to the ground as cripples rather than corpses. He supposed his anger was sated with Salimod’s death. Or perhaps it was guilt, brought on by Cara’s frightened face. His stomach tightened.

A large hand landed heavily on his shoulder. It was Buri.

“I was looking for you,” Ror said.

Buri nodded. “Halfur spoke with me just now. There may be a way.”

“Truly?” Ror was hoping. He was wanting desperately to be busy. Each idle moment was haunted by Cara’s blood stained cheeks and grief ridden eyes, and little Gislain huddled on her lap. They were in their sleeping gowns when it happened. They’d woken at the sound of that accursed horn, and came running to stop him, to save their father. Their father... Ror thought of his own father being burned by the wraith.

“It will take time,” Buri said. “Valung had contacts on the surface, but the Black Ring never knew them.”

“I assume only the White Ring did.”

“And the Copper Ring. Koll’s ring. He never met with any of them, but he’s knows one’s name, and places he frequents. Halfur says he met the man on the road to High Alden.”

Ror’s heart felt enkindled. “Then there’s a chance. A real chance.”

Buri shrugged slightly. “There will be Valung to deal with, but the doomed think well of you, according to Koll. He had chance to speak with a few before ascending, including Baldur, the old ferryman.”

“And where can we find this man of Valung’s?”

“I don’t know. Halfur’s speaking with Koll still. I came to find you.”

Ror followed Buri to where Koll, Nava and Farin had their camp. Nava was stowing items back into her pack, and Farin was sharpening Koll’s axe and sword. Koll bowed low when he saw Ror. “My friends aren’t required to bow. Where can we find this man?”

“Near Eruhal,” said Halfur. “I already knew, matter of fact. He was favorable to me, and informative. I almost had the sense there was something he wanted to tell me, but he hesitated. Likely due to our company.”

Ror lowered his brow and snorted hatefully.

“How did it go?” Halfur asked.

Ror was silent for a moment. Koll went to help his daughter pack, and Buri slowly stepped away.

“The fools,” Ror said, “they were standing next to me. Why do they step away?”

“You’re their prince. They’ll never forget that, no matter how familiar you are with them. Did he offer any explanation? Any denial?”

Ror opened his mouth to answer, then stopped.

“Did Cara see?”

“He begged me only to punish him. He made no excuses, just came to me, dropped to his knees, and begged me to take him away and leave his kingdom unharmed. He said he’d already commanded Dennel and that old fat knight not to follow him. I... I was angry, and didn’t speak. And yes, Cara saw.”

Halfur nodded quietly and looked to his feet for a moment, then back up. “You let Dennel live?”

“And the household guard. They don’t have many soldiers left, though. Wulden’s men saw to that.”

“They’ll make do. Hale will be king now, and they have vassals nearby. As for our journey, we may as well speak to Derrion ourselves, since we’ll be passing through the Dawnwood to meet with Val.”

Ror nodded. “Better to send one group on the road than two. Klar can handle the people. She’ll have ample help from Urum, as well as Zukuz and Runa.”

“Who will we take with us? Besides Gund, Buri, Neri and Koll?”

Ror laughed. “Sounds like you have that figured out already.”

A soft cough caught Ror’s attention. He turned and saw Koll’s daughter standing with he hands behind her back. She bowed low.

“And her,” said Halfur.

Ror smiled. “You’re all three welcome to come along. I’d hate to split your family up again, and we can use the Iron Maiden’s skills along the way.”

Farin looked up at him, then whispered something to Koll. Ror watched curiously as Koll and her spoke, careful to keep their voices down. Koll seemed saddened, but whatever she was saying, he agreed with her. Ror thought suddenly of someone he hadn’t seen since he came back from the battle. “Halfur, tend to arrangements. We’ll need to meet early tomorrow to plan our journey. I need to speak with someone.”

Halfur nodded and Ror turned away. He went to the outskirts of the camp, near their family’s cave. It took him some time, but eventually he Audun standing lookout by a cluster of small boulders near a sheer escarpment. He went to the boy and crouched down. “Is Fustilugs nearby? I’m leaving again tomorrow, and would like to see her first.”

Yemi leapt up from behind the boulders. Her eyes were puffy and red and snot covered her upper lip. She wiped it with her sleeve before running to Ror. She just about knocked him backwards when she threw her arms around his neck. She gripped him tightly for a moment, then sat on the ground and looked him in the eyes.

“You look sad,” she said.

Ror looked down for a moment. A lump rose in his throat, and his heart was starting to melt. No, he thought. You’re the Crown Prince. You need to be strong, for everyone, and especially for her. He lifted his head and smiled. “All of us are. Seeing you makes me glad, though.”. He clapped Audun on the arm. “Thank you for standing guard. She’s fortunate to have such a good friend.”. The boy smiled, and his right eye drifted downward. Ror wanted to laugh but kept it in.

“Where are you going?” asked Yemi. “You just got back. We need you here, Ror.”

“We need our home back, Fusty. And we’re almost out of soldiers to take it with. But we know where we can find some more, and some of the best. But I need to be the one to recruit them.”

“You found where the doomed went?”

She’s so clever! Ror beamed proudly. “You might smell like a sow, but you’re clever as a monkey.”

They both laughed.

“Can I sleep next to you tonight?” she asked. “I’m going to miss you awfully. And as soon as you get back with the doomed, you’ll have to go get mum and dad back.”

“All right, but no bed wetting.”

She scrunched her face, and this time it was Audun who laughed.

“Will you be taking Koll with you?”

Ror nodded. “And his daughter, along with Halfur and Gund, plus a few others.”
Yemi and Audun both looked concerned. “Can you take Audun along? He can figure out any puzzles you come by, or read stories when you’re bored. And maybe he can clean or sharpen your weapons.”

Ror was genuinely puzzled. “Yemi, we’re going to have a fight on our hands at the end of this. Valung will have to answer for his betrayal, and he’s a dangerous foe. You heard how he almost killed both mum and dad?”

“And you stopped him! You’ll just have to squeeze out his other eye this time. And Audun can hide when you have to fight. He’s really good at hiding. Please?!”

Ror looked at Audun. He seemed frightened. “Yemi, he’s scarred, and I haven’t even said yes.”

“He’s not scared of going with you. Are you Audun?”

He nodded vigorously.

“But you’re not as scared of going as...”

Ror suddenly understood. “It’s all right. You don’t have to explain. I’ll speak with Klar about looking after him, and Urum as well. He’ll be safe.”

“No! He won’t! She only leaves him alone because Klar threatened her, but Klar had Halfur and Gund here. Urum Brann is never around. He’s always meeting with his group of old people and whispering strange things to his guards. The only other people he talks with are Runa and Zukuz, and they don’t care about Audun. Klar will be too busy, Ror. He needs to go with you. Please?”

“Yemi, are you not the king’s daughter? Every member of this kingdom is bound to obey your commands. You can have the Stoneguard watch over him, or have her under guard if that works best. But there is no possible way Audun, or any child, would be safe on the road we’re taking. I would say yes, believe me, just to see the look on Halfur’s face, but I can’t.”

She opened her mouth to protest, but Ror cocked his head toward her and she stopped. She then patted Audun on the shoulder. “Don’t worry. You heard my brother. I’ll make sure she can’t get to you.”

Ror did his best to reassure them both, even speaking to Klar in front of them. Klar looked haggard and overwhelmed, and Ror saw why Yemi was worried, so he tasked Bloody Rykka with protecting Audun personally, then met with the Starmancers to thank them for giving his people refuge. They told him what they’d told the others, that Lobuhl had never come their way, and we left Aurvandil heavy hearted. Yemi was fast asleep when he came to bed. He woke her when he crawled in, but she was snoring again within seconds of snuggling up to him. Ror never even closed his eyes. He knew that the instant he did he would see hers, blue within red, like the new star, staring at him through her father’s blood.

0