Chapter Thirty Three. Arrival.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The giant spaceship flashed into existence in the outer reaches of the stars system. A command ship by design, it was twice as large as any other battleship built. Its escort, six heavy battleships and twelve light cruisers followed, all in a standard arrival pattern. Scanners came online in all the ships, first passive, and then active. Readings flashed back and were consolidated to a report to the commander of the escort.

“All ships reported in sir.” The communications officer reported.

“Including the Maiden Constance?” Vice Admiral Hojo enquired.

“Yes, sir.” Commander Gallis, Hojo’s senior staff officer, was aware of who was aboard the large battleship, so the question was simply the Admiral being careful. Indeed, all were aware; although none talked about it.

Admiral De Johnston’s escort force, was already waiting in the system, the giant planetoids spread out in a protective pattern.

“Sir, message from flagship. Requesting status,” the communications officer reported.

“Send message to flagship, all in order, proceeding in system.” Admiral Hojo ordered.

“Sent, sir.”

“Send a message to Maiden Constance requesting confirmation of intentions.”

“Yes, sir.” No one even raised an eyebrow about the message.

*********

On the bridge of the Maiden Constance, there was tension. Captain Thompson was uncertain of what the future was going to entail, but she knew what the answer to this particular question was.

“Send to escort flag with copy to covering force flag. ‘Proceeding in system to confer with Empire’s representatives.’ Send immediately.” Turning to the First Officer she ordered him to rendezvous with the Empire space station.

At a sound behind her, she turned. Emerging onto the bridge was General Major Dennus. With him was his senior aide, Lieutenant Colonel Gunnly. There was no sign of any of the Ambassadors, the Captain noted thankfully.

“General.” As captain of the battleship, she did not rise from her command seat.

“Captain, we are here. Now the hard work begins.” Dennus smiled. “Please send the message to Commissioner Flores and Major Hunt Van Houser advising our arrival as instructed. Let me know when you get a response. Also, send a message to Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo, requesting a conference regarding disposition of the fleet. A holo conference will do.”

“Of course, General.” Captain Thompson turned to the communications officer. “Send messages as instructed.” She turned back to the General. “Is there anything else, sir?”

“No, thank you Captain.” Dennus left the bridge to return to his suite of offices.

*********

While walking down the corridor to the stairs leading down to the next level, Dennus ruminated over the last twenty three days. The hardest had been before they left. It was fortunate that the Ladies had been on their best behaviour during the trip, making it much easier for their guardians. The difficulty had been before they left.

The meeting between the Dark Lord, the First Councillor and the Marshal had clarified matters so far as Dennus was concerned. While Dennus was not present, the Head Steward had been and there had, in his words, been ‘a bit of a scene’.’ As he was not sure what that meant, apart from the meeting with Vice Admiral Hojo, Dennus had kept away from all involved for a day. The next day, Lieutenant Colonel Etic Gunnly and Captain Feli Duaris arrived. Finding them suitable, he presented them both to the Dark Lord, a sobering time for both officers, their Master not being in the best of moods. The introduction to the ambassadors had not gone much better. The Ladies had been upset as well, so had been rather less than cooperative.

The next day, the meeting between Dennus, Nita and the Ambassadors and his new staff had taken place. This went smoothly, the Ladies showing that they were remarkably self-sufficient in many areas. All they needed, they could easily carry with them, and were adamant that no one should touch any of their possessions. The ships’ supplies were sufficient to take care of any of their other needs. Dennus and Nita hid their surprise as best as they could.

Another delicate problem was solved by the Ladies themselves as they agreed to each share a room. Ladies Andrea and Dana in one, Lisa and Savanna in another, with Jasmine and Lakeisha sharing the third. They had even picked out their rooms. Much to Dennus’s surprise, they showed remarkable knowledge about the Maiden Constance. Indeed, more than they could possibly know or should have known. It underlined to Dennus the need to never underestimate the powers that they hid from view. Later, he underscored this with his staff.

Nita De Posse at least was happy. Away from the Ladies, she made no attempt to hide her relief. Both Dennus and Horris took it well. The other two officers watched on, somewhat bemused.

After sending a message about the berthing arraignments to Captain Thompson, who also was thankful, he turned to his staff.

“Well what did you think of that?” He enquired of his new staff.

There was a pause. “They seemed very well informed.” Captain Feli Duaris was being careful after his introduction to the palace.

Lieutenant Colonel Etic Gunnly also was still processing her observations and feelings. “The Ladies seemed less, how should I say it, daunting today, than I thought they would be. I wasn’t disappointed, just curious.”

“Never ever underestimate the Ladies. Never!” Dennus spoke with emphasis. “Ask yourselves, how did they know all the details of the Maiden Constance? The ship is new, but they showed that they were familiar with its layout and amenities. They rarely leave the Palace, at least not openly or with anyone other than our Master knowing it. Consider that. They have powers that they seldom show, but are there. They may not be as openly dangerous or powerful as our Master, but do not underestimate them. Ever.”

The two officers sat silent as Dennus drilled the lesson into them. Used to difficult tasks with all that implied, they realised that this was a different order of danger and that they would never be likely to run into anything so unpredictable again.

“You will be on call all the time and you have to get ready. Captain Dule had been my adjutant for not even two periods when our Master walked in that door and took him away on a mission with Him. One that I still do not know all the details of. That could be you tomorrow.” Dennus paused for a fraction. “You understand?”

They both nodded.

“Good. Now I want you both to sort out what you are going to need for this trip. Have the palace store what you are not going to take. Assume that we are going to go into a war zone. Remember our primary responsibility is going to be protection of the Ladies. That will come first and guide all my actions.” He paused and gave them both a hard look.

Very impressive, Horris thought.

Dennus turned to Horris. “Colonel, while I have the time, I want to put on record, and my report to the Marshal will reflect this, my appreciation and thanks for all your hard work in this matter. You have gone above and beyond the call of duty for me and my task. Effectively, you have acted as my Operations Officer, as well as carrying out many other tasks for me. I thank you.”

He stood and the two officers shook hands. Their eyes met and they nodded.

“Thank you, sir.”

“Back to business, Lieutenant Colonel Gunnly, I want you to draw up the details of our departure from the palace and transit to the ship. Including security arrangements. Talk to the Head Steward, find out what, if any, protocol is involved. Captain Duaris, get hold of Vice Admiral Hojo and find out what, if anything, he needs from me at present. Details of what to do when we arrive in system as well. I don’t want to go in blind.” He paused. “Any questions?” They shook their heads. “No, sir.”

“Very well, on your way.” The two officers departed.

“Colonel, I want you to brief the Marshal and bring her up to date. Also, find out if she has any concerns that need to be dealt with or any suggestions.”

“I will, sir. And you?” Colonel Horris asked.

“I am going to see if I can get more information from our Sovereign. There are things I need to know about what He expects of our Ambassadors.” Dennus gave a grim smile. “Wish me luck.” They both left.

*********

The Dark Lord was not in His usual room. Neither were any of the Ladies. This was most unusual and disconcerting. It also meant that Dennus had to go in search of Him. The floor on which Dennus’s office was located could be considered the main floor. The next floor was where the Ladies were quartered. Dennus had never been up there. Searching each room, one by one, was the only option. He did not even consider paging the Dark Lord.

All the rooms on the ground floor were empty. Dennus considered that he had no choice but to proceed to the next floor. Slowly and carefully, he climbed the stairs. At the top, sitting at a window alcove he found, to his relief, The Dark Lord.

“You are courageous or foolish, to hunt me down like this, General.” Came in the Dark Lord’s soft voice, this time with an undercurrent of menace.

“If you wish me to leave, sire, I will,” Dennus replied, determined to at least try.

There was a long pause.

“No, you have questions for me, I see.” He waved at the window. “Come closer, enjoy the view.” He waved Dennus to a chair.

Moving over Dennus looked out into the palaces garden. Although it was a weekday, there were many people moving through the grounds, admiring the many different flowers, plants and trees, some from different planets. The view was spectacular.

“Beautiful, isn’t it? I occasionally come here to watch and refresh myself.” Dennus stared. This musing, almost relaxed figure, was a complete turnaround from what he had expected. “You want to know where the Ladies are?” The sudden question almost caught him off guard.

“I am curious, but so long as they are here when needed, that is all what matters.”

The Dark Lord smiled, a satisfied smile, but made no comment.  They sat in silence for a time, then the Dark Lord stirred. He pointed to the gardens. “One of the stewards, many years ago, wanted to have a portion of the garden dedicated to plants from every planet in the Empire. I had to point out the impossibility of his dream due to the numbers concerned and the fact that some could never grow here. Also, some would become positively dangerous out of their natural habitat. He was crushed, but accepted the reality in the end.” The Dark Lord wore a reminiscent look. Dennus forbore to ask just how long ago the incident had taken place.

“I often walk at night and early in the morning.” The Dark Lord smiled. “Few are up then and none recognise me anyway. Actually some take me for the gardener. They ask questions about the various plants.” He gave a quiet laugh. “I always answer as best I can.”

Dennus nodded, he realised what the anonymity would mean to someone as legendary as the Dark Lord. He did not speak, not wanting to lose this time, almost magical to him. After a fraction, he was not disappointed.

“I find it helpful to just walk in the garden and watch people sometimes. Even when you have been doing it for as long as I have, there is always more to learn. Even with no people, I find the gardens, especially the forested parts, soothing.”

Dennus waited for more, in any case, he was as a loss as to what to say. After another fraction, the Dark Lord stirred.

“You wish to know what instructions I have given to the Ambassadors?”

“If I may, my Lord. It would be a guide to me in my duties.”

The Dark Lord laughed. “Apart from telling them to try their best, I have given no detailed instructions. It would not help even if I had.” He smiled, was silent, then spoke again, “You must have noted by now how allergic to being told what to do the Ladies are, correct?” He said giving the General Major a sideways look along with a raised eyebrow.

Dennus gave a rueful look back and nodded. The Dark Lord looked away, seemly content.

“The Ladies have been my Ambassadors before. They know what the situation is, what the stakes are and what I can do. They know …” The last came in a whisper.

“If they are unsuccessful, then what, sire?” Dennus blurted the question out he could stop it.

“Hellfire and Damnation, General. Hellfire.” The Dark Lord rose, walked over and stood at the window. “Terrible things will happen. I may do terrible things. Then even more will happen.”

He turned, looked at a stunned General Major Dennus, who had also risen.

“Was there anything else, General?” The Dark Lord was now stony-faced.

Dennus took the hint. “Nothing, sire.” He bowed and left.

*********

The holo conference went well. Admiral De Johnston laid out his plans for the disposition of the forces and agreed that it was necessary for the Maiden Constance to remain in close proximity to Ti Lepus. Vice Admiral Hojo stated that at least two battleships were to be positioned between the command ship and the planet to make targeting of the command ship difficult for any ground based missile systems.

“They don’t have any according to my intelligence.” Dennus objected.

“My intelligence says the same, General, but it has been wrong before,” Was Admiral Hojo’s crisp reply.

Dennus nodded. “In this you have the say, Admiral. I am in your good hands. Indeed, both your good hands.”

“General, what are your intentions for escort to the planet and on the planet?” Admiral De Johnston needed to know what he had to provide.

Dennus was quick to oblige. “It will depend on where the meetings are to take place. There is a fairground in the capital and I will endeavor to arrange to have the meetings there. It has open ground for landing of forces and a building where the meeting can take place. That is my preferred area, but the Chief Minister may have different ideas. Once everything has been agreed, then we will know what to send. I am sending both of you my suggested list of forces required, broken down into various situations and locations. If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.”

Both Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo were impressed by the suggested array of forces to be deployed. It included close cover by light cruisers and armoured battle shuttles, with forces ranging from a battalion on the ground to a full corps, depending on the actual location of the meetings. Dennus had sat and considered all options with his staff as well as the battleships permanent staff, while in transit.

“You are not taking any chances, General.” Vice Admiral Hojo commented.

“No, none. I have no desire to find out what would happen if any of the Ladies were injured or killed. None whatsoever.”

The two admirals nodded their agreement. They weren’t eager to find out either.

“Whatever you want, we will back you up even if I have to bring our heavy artillery in close to that place.” Admiral De Johnston gestured at what would have been the planet.

“Thank you, thank both of you,” Dennus was sincere in his thanks. “Commissioner Flores and Major Hunt Van Houser will be boarding as soon as we get close enough and I will keep you both advised of developments. In my absence, speak to any of my aides, they will be closely involved in all developments.”

With the usual pleasantries, they finished the conference.

*********

Getting up from the console of his desk Dennus, walked to his door which slid open at his approach. Standing on the other side, hand reaching for the annunciator, was Captain Dule.

Staring for a fraction in shock, Dennus swiftly recovered and greeted his adjutant. “I did not expect you for a while, but welcome.”

“It’s good to be here, sir.” Dule gave a crooked smile. “If I stay around our Master for a while longer, I might get used to this!”

Clapping him on his shoulder, Dennus smiled. “I understand. The longer I am around Him, the less I understand Him. It is good to see you again. Walk with me and I will get you up to date. We will also have to get quarters and supplies for you.”

“Unnecessary, sir.’ Dule replied. “He popped me into quarters next to you along with all my kit. Even sent the kit I had stored. Told me where I was going, gave me the suite number and everything.” Dennus could see that Dule was still shaken, and also reflected on his own experiences with their Master, so made no comment. He could not help but also reflect on the width and grasp of the Dark Lords power. “Ah, He also made me a major, temporary as he wanted to clear it with the Marshal.” Dule continued.

“Let’s go, the bridge is this way.” Dennus started to walk. “I will introduce you to Captain Thompson. She is more than capable.” He could not help but smile. “I wonder how she will take your appearance.”

“Let’s see, sir. Oh, He also told me about the two officers appointed to your staff.”

There was a pause. “Very well.” After a fraction Dennus said, “I will introduce them later.”

By the time they had reached the bridge, both were back on an even keel. They concealed their amusement when Captain Thompson turned around.

“General, I was just about to comm you,” she started. “The shuttle from the Empire’s station is about here, it will dock in a tenth.” The last word trailed off as she turned around and saw the strange officer accompanying the general.

“Captain, my Adjutant, Captain of the Legion, Rickard Dule, temporary Major. He has recently completed a difficult task for our Master.” There was a note of amusement in General Dennus’s voice.

“Welcome aboard. We should arrange quarters for you.” She signaled her first officer. The look of astonishment on her face was mirrored on the rest of the bridge crew.

“Captain, Major Dule is already logged in and has quarters assigned to him.” The First Officer sounded confused. “Wait, a second entry just appeared.” There was a suspenseful silence for a fraction.

“Go on,” the Captain prompted.

“The rank of Major is confirmed. By order of The Dark Lord and confirmed by the Marshal.” He looked up. “Congratulations Major,” There was a look of awe on his face.

There were congratulations all around, politely acknowledged. Then an announcement, “Shuttle approaching.”

“Thank you, Captain. I would like you to join us, please Captain.” Dennus spoke. The Captain agreed. “Let’s go meet the shuttle.” Went to the new Major Dule.

“It will be good to see them again. I stayed here for a week while the girl that I had been put in charge of healed completely and was ready for travel. I think that we crossed at the third transit between clusters.” Dule reminisced.

The two walked in silence for a fraction, then Dennus spoke slowly, “So it was to here you came. I wasn’t sure. Our Master is sparing of the details sometimes. I will have the whole story from you, but not now. We have work to do.”

From the observation point, they watched the dance between the shuttle and the battleship. As the final landing procedure was completed, the pair moved to the bay access door.

“Welcome aboard.” Captain Thompson, who had joined Dule and Dennus, greeted the two passengers. Commissioner Flores and Major Houser reciprocated with the usual pleasantries, although they could not help throwing glances at the now Major Dule.

“Gentleman, let us retire to the conference room.” Dennus keyed his comm. “I will have Lieutenant Colonel Gunnly and Captain Duaris meet us there.”

“The Ambassadors as well?” Commissioner Flores was as calm as ever.

“They will meet with you later. Tonight, over the dinner meal, that was their expressed wish.” Dennus raised a shoulder. “When possible, I go with their wishes.”

“After meeting our Master, I am ready for anything,” Major Houser reflected. Then, with a wry look, continued, “I will probably regret saying that soon!” There was amused agreement all around.

Arriving at the conference room, they found the other two staff officers already present. Further introductions took place, then they all found seats, removing their swords so they could comfortably.

Dennus opened the meeting, “Commissioner, Major, please fill us in on the status of the planet?” Major Houser nodded to the Commissioner.

Just as he was about to start, the door slid open and the Ambassadors moved gracefully into the room. To everyone’s astonishment, they were all dressed in almost identical long dresses, the colours of which best complimented each individual Lady. The officers who had accompanied them on the voyage, knew that they had not brought any such dresses with them.

Four Black Guardsman accompanied them. Two guards stayed inside while two barracked the door on the outside. All present wondered what the crew members who would have witnessed the procession, had thought.

“We thought we’d join you,” Lady Dana spoke to the officers who had now found their feet.

“Ladies.” Dennus spoke for the group. “My I introduce …”

“Commissioner Flores and Major Houser,” Lady Andrea interrupted. “Commissioner, I remember when you received your first Ambassadorship and were presented to our Master. That was three hundred and twenty four years ago. You look well.”

There was a fraction of profound silence, then Flores replied with a bow, “I am honoured that you remember, Lady Andrea. Thank you.” The rest stood quietly fascinated.

“Now, shall we continue?” Lady Dana smiled at Commissioner Flores. She had clearly taken charge of the meeting. Everyone, other than Commissioner Flores, sat.

“My Lady.” Flores nodded then spoke. “This is a planet in turmoil. Minister Leja Leves has become the Chief Minister and has apparently been accepted by the majority of the Ministers, the Scrutineers and the Assembly. He also has the backing of the majority of the population and, although many are uninterested in leaving the Empire, most don’t care or see the dangers. I am unaware of any senior minister who has the status to stand up to him at this time other than Trem de Markus, but I dare not contact him for obvious reasons.

“The majority of the population just don’t like anyone who is not a native of Ti Lepus. They have a visceral reaction to ‘outsiders’ or ‘off-worlders’ as they refer to us. This reaction has been documented thoroughly, although its origins remain obscure. Perhaps it is related to the fact that few even think about leaving the planet. That is unimportant provided that we understand that it exists. Even people I knew well would exhibit it to my face from time to time. It is a deep fracture in the psyche of the people of the planet and it is what drives the movement on the planet, even now. It is what Chief Minister Leves has tapped into. He is using that to gain and keep the power that he has craved for many years.

Turning to the Ambassadors Flores addressed them directly. “Ladies, I wish that I could give better counsel, but I fear the worst for the long-term future of the planet. Unless you can convince Chief Minister Leves that it is in his best interest to retreat from his position, before he makes an irrevocable statement of repudiating the Empire, then I fear that your mission will result in failure. The temper of the people, the hysteria that he has whipped up, may mean that he cannot see his way to make a public retreat, but perhaps a private one will mollify our Master. That is what I hope you can achieve.

“I could talk for longer and give graphic examples to exhaustion, but I would be repeating what I say in short here and now.” Flores smiled. “I never considered myself verbose, except when it is needed.” The smile faded. “Clarity and focus is what we need now.” With a bow, he sat down.

There was silence for a fraction as the Ladies exchanged glances. Dennus, concealing it as best as he could, watched in fascination, as did the rest of the group. After a pause, Lady Dana turned and addressed Major Houser, “Major, your views please?” She gave her captivating smile. “You may speak for as long as you wish.”

“Thank you, Lady Dana,” Major Hunt Van Houser spoke as he came to his feet. He could not completely conceal his reaction to the proximity of the Ladies. All subconsciously thought of them in that manner, rather than as Ambassadors. “There is little that I can add to the situation that the Commissioner has described. However, we have been able to get a reading on some of the actions of Leves.”

“I have made a contact down there. Two actually. The first led to the second. I am not going to reveal who the contact is, but he is well placed. He has told me, in our very brief conversations that Leves is still unsure of his position. He has not been able to make himself complete master of Ti Lepus yet. This may be why there have been no demands for the return of those who left the planet with the girl, Cami.” He paused then continued. “Also, Sessi Dark gen Wattar told me, before he left that he felt that there was someone else. That deeper, behind the scenes, there was another more powerful figure who was the actual power. This person was waiting for Leves to make a mistake and take over full control.” Houser finished, “I am afraid that is all I can say.” He returned to his seat.

“Do you have any idea who this person is, Major?” Lieutenant Colonel Gunnly was first to ask the question that everyone wanted to know the answer to.

“No, and I dared not raise that question with my contact at this stage.”

“Why?”

“In case he took some action that revealed his relationship with us.”

There were nods all around the table.

“So, I am not sure that I have been able to help you, Ladies.” The major sat back in his chair.

The Ladies looked at each other then stood. “Let us eat. The crew have, at our request, prepared a repast.” They moved to the door. The last one, Lady Savanna, looked over her shoulder and smiled. “Come,” she said and left.

Dennus stood. He glanced at the rest of the officers as he buckled on his sword. “We don’t want to keep them waiting.” Without looking back, he went out the door.

There was a scramble behind Dennus as the rest of the officers grabbed their swords as well and followed the General Major out. Phlegmatic as always, Commissioner Flores followed at a more sedate pace.

*********

To the officer’s surprise, the Ladies lead the small group down to the fourth level of the battleship and the shuttle bay, the largest open area available. There, they found a meal prepared. With a wave, the Ladies invited the officers and all the crew, to eat.

At Captain Thompson’s protest that there would not be enough food, she was assured with a smile, that there would be plenty. Uncertain, but equally unwilling to challenge the Ladies, she made no further comment.

A battleship is large, not as large as an armoured planetoid certainly, but large enough with a crew usually in the area of one thousand five hundred personal. And this was a command ship with up to two hundred extra crew members. That there were not more was due to Dennus having only three personal staff officers. This did not allay Captain Thompson’s concerns.

“Just wait and see,” from the Ladies had not comforted her.

The meal, which corresponded to lunch onboard, was modest compared to the meals Dennus had enjoyed at the palace. This was to be expected considering shipboard resources. The crew, however, had done the Ladies proud and the meal was ample. As was their custom, they urged the crew to start the meal while they ate last.

The crew members were in awe of the Ladies and held back until Dennus took matters in hand. “Let us eat,” he remarked and walked to the table. Slowly, others followed. More crew arrived from other parts of the battleship and there was much coming and going as stations that had to be permanently maintained, were relieved. The Ladies sometimes circulated and sometimes gathered together. They were objects of fascination and of continued curiosity. Crew members, especially those that had not seen them board stared, some openly, others with more discretion.

Observing this, Dennus took the precaution to speak quietly to the senior member of the Black Guard stationed on board. Immediately, at least one member of the Guard shadowed each Lady, trading off as each also partook of the meal.

Slowly it seemed, the meal ended. The full complement of the battleship had been feed, and there was little left over. The Ladies had quietly left before the end of the meal. To the surprise of everyone, the shuttle bay was already clean. The story of this meal would become legendary throughout both the Legion and the Navy.

*********

Walking back to his suite of offices, Dennus discussed the next step with Flores.

“It would be best if I speak to Chief Minister Leves. We at least have met,” Flores wondered.

“I agree, but I will be there. Also, if we do get a meeting arranged with the Ambassadors, I think that you should go with them.”

“Indeed, yes.”

“Let’s get a call to our friend down there. I believe it is working hours.” Dennus smiled. Tapping on his comm unit, he contacted Captain Thompson to let her know the decision. He also contacted his three staff members and Major Houser. All four were to be present to record, observe and provide advice as necessary.

Standing in the communications room, the commissioner instructed the rating, in this case a Warrant Officer, to place the call. There was a certain amount of difficulty, anticipated as Leves would not want to seem too eager to speak to the Empire, but soon they had face-to-face contact.

“Chief Minister, congratulations on your promotion and thank you for taking my link. There are important matters I need to discuss with you.” Flores, Dennus and the others noted how stressed and strained the Chief Minister looked. Power did not seem to be sitting well on him at this time.

“Thank you Commissioner. I am very busy, so what are these important matters, you refer to.”

“I am on board the flag ship that the Empire, by command of our Sovereign has sent to this system. Onboard this battleship, He has sent Ambassadors to discuss matters with you face-to-face. I would like to set up a meeting between you and them.”

“And what if I do not meet with them? I really have no interest in such a meeting.” At this statement, the observers stiffened.

Flores, however was quite calm. “That would be unfortunate, Chief Minister, consider what your reaction would be if the positions were reversed. Would you be happy at being so dismissed?”

“Well, I have no interest in talking to you.” He waved his hand.

“I ask you to consider the possibility. If you wanted badly to talk to somebody and were told no flatly, would you be happy?”

“Of course not. But …”

“Then neither would our Sovereign. In fact, I believe that he would be very unhappy. Do you really want that?”

“I see no reason to meet with you,” Leves spoke after a fraction’s silence. “We want nothing to do with you.”

“What would be the harm, Chief Minister? And it could much good.”

“Who are these Ambassadors anyway? Cogs in the Empire’s machine?”

Flores smiled and spoke softly. “We are all cogs, Chief Minister? Some bigger; some, like myself, smaller. These ones are big, very big in fact. There are none bigger except the Dark Lord Himself and He has personally selected them. All are Ladies of the Circle, and are His personal advisors.”

Leves was silent for a fraction, then nodded jerkily. “We can meet in two days. I will send a place and time.”

“If I may, we have had time to select a place. You understand that if any harm should come to these Ladies, it would be … unpleasant for you. There is an officer. I would like to present him to you. He has been charged with the protection of the Ambassadors and must approve the location and will make all arrangements for their safety. If I may, I will introduce him.”

There was another pause, then Leves nodded again. At the Commissioner’s signal, Dennus stepped into the projection area. As he did, he wondered if Leves was getting prompts from outside the viewing area.

“Thank you, Chief Minister, I am General Major Dennus of Hosta, I also offer my congratulations.”

“So what is the place that you suggest?” Even though Dennus was prepared by what he had seen and heard; and by his study of the records, he still found the abruptness and the discourtesy shocking. It was with an effort that he held his face immobile.

“From discussions with our representatives and scans of Ti Lepus, there is a fairground in the capital with a building that would be suitable. There are grounds there where we can both land an escort and the Ambassadors themselves. I understand that it is close your offices. I trust that it would be satisfactory, sir.”

“This is what your Ambassadors want?”

“Actually no, they wanted to meet you on the lake called ‘Tia Rippa’. I managed to dissuade them from that choice.” From the look on Leves face, that was to the good. He seemed horrified at the suggestion, which surprised Dennus who knew nothing of their antipathy for the seas or lakes. “Do you wish to consider any other places? While your offices would be a logical place, the security that I would have to deploy would be both obvious and involve a large number of troops. The landing of shuttles would also be disruptive to the city.”  He let that just hang there. While he intended to deploy at least two battalions at the fairgrounds and have more on standby; to cover the office building, he intended to deploy at least a division, possibly a corps.

There was silence again. “I will have to consider this. I will contact you again.” With a nod to off screen personnel, the connection was broken.

Dennus went immediately to the spacers monitoring the connection. “Did you pick anything up? Was he getting prompted?”

“Couldn’t tell, sir. If he was, it was not by any means we could intercept. And we can tap into anything down there”

Major Houser stepped over and Commissioner Flores also joined in.

“My men on the station were also listening in at my request,” Major Houser informed the group. “They are very experienced at tapping into the systems down there.” He looked at the battleship’s crew. “Nothing intended, of course. They didn’t get anything either.”

Dennus looked at the rest of the group. “Any comments?”

Lieutenant Colonel Gunnly stirred. “To me, he looked as if he was about to face a firing squad. He did not look happy.” Slow nods came from the other two members of Dennus’ small staff.

Flores looked pleased. “Very well put Colonel, I do not disagree.”

“Anything else?” Dennus asked. He got slow shakes combined with no’s.

“I have one. It was too easy, doesn’t anyone think?” Major Dule put in. There were nods of agreement.

“I agree. I expected more resistance.” Flores looked concerned.

Dennus waited for the Commissioner to go on. After a fraction, Flores did continue, “It tells me that there is more involved than we expected. Someone or more than one are involved.”

“What do you suggest?” Dennus asked Flores.

“I fear that there is little we can do. The meeting is suggested and is in as good a place as we could get. To go back and suggest somewhere else would strengthen them and weaken us.’

“I could strengthen the landing party escort?” Dennus looked unhappy at the development. “I was going to put part of a brigade down instead I could put two with a third standing by.”

Flores frowned. “That also would inflame the population and play into Leves hand when he turns up with a few policemen.”

“I agree, but my first responsibility is to protect the Ladies. The Ambassadors come first.”

“Yes general, I understand your responsibilities.” Flores smiled. “And I do not envy you them.” This earned him a rueful look. The rest remained silent. Dule once again reflected on the ‘more dangerous’ remark made by Colonel Horris. There were twists and dangers that could not be anticipated.

“Well Commissioner, let’s go tell the Ladies.” Dennus moved off, then turned around, Commissioner Flores also. “Go to my office,” Dennis addressed his small staff. “You as well, Major Houser. The Commissioner and I will catch up with you here.” The two left, talking quietly as they walked.

*********

The Ladies quarters were in suites near the bridge, but two levels down. They had a spare room in the short corridor that connected their rooms and this was being used as a lounge. It was in the lounge that Dennus and Flores found the Ladies on querying the two Black Guards stationed at the beginning of the corridor. They had changed from their long dresses and were as usual wearing idiosyncratic clothes.

As usual, Dennus was nervous meeting the Ladies, but the reaction he got gave him a greater surprise then any he had before. Commissioner Flores set out, what they surmised was the political situation. Then Dennus spoke. He laid out all the concerns and fears he had, as well as his proposed actions. Stopping, he waited for the reactions of the Ladies.

They laughed.

Not softly, but loudly, and fully.

Flores and Dennus exchanged glances. This was not the reaction they had expected. The surprise they felt was equalled by a raising indignation. Holding their peace, they waited until the Ladies had regained control of themselves.

When the laugher had passed, Dennus spoke with an undercurrent of anger, “We are glad that you are amused, Ladies.”

Lady Dana rose and gave a look at the other Ladies, some were still showing broad smiles. They composed themselves.

“Please pardon our amusement, General, Commissioner,” Lady Dana spoke with her usual charm. “But also understand, the Master did not send us away into a possibly dangerous place all unprepared to protect ourselves should it be necessary.” There was a pause while she allowed the two men to digest this startling new information. “Do whatever you consider best. We will follow your lead. In fact, an overt display of the Empire’s power might not be altogether a bad thing.”

Returning to her seat, she continued to regard the two men with a somewhat sympathetic gaze. The rest had also composed themselves, but the two men could recognise a knowing look so they felt it best to withdraw with what remained of their dignity. Leaving with a bow, they walked to the door; however, before they could leave, Lady Andrea stopped them.

“Please wait. We wish to meet the representatives of Ti Lepus, whoever they turn out to be, as a body. We have been discussing this and our experience is pointing us in that direction. It will do no more harm and may do good.”

Dennus looked at Flores, deferring to the experienced diplomat. Flores considered the request. “As you say Lady, it may do good and I have no objection.” He finished with a bow, and the two men left.

The two walked down the corridor, took stairs and negotiated blast doors in silence. Approaching the suite of offices, most of the staff occupying the consoles inside had come with the battleship, Dennus pulled the Commissioner aside. “I think it best not to say anything about the Ladies being able to protect themselves. Do you agree?”

“Of course.” Flores looked surprised that the question had even arisen.

“Sorry, just a little rattled. I have been with them … Well, never mind. I think I was getting complacent around them. It was a good reminder.”

“I do agree. And I will say nothing.”

With a nod, they entered the suite of offices and with expressions of appreciation to the staff working there, went through to Dennus’s main office.

Taking off his hat and sword, Dennus dropped into his chair and, to his staff’s surprise, placed his feet on his desk. “Major Dule, you were going to regale us with your adventures!”

“Indeed I was sir, and will,” Dule answered. “But how did you get on with the Ladies, if you don’t mind? We are curious.”

With a deep sign, and a sideways glance at Flores, Dennus concluded silently that it was best that he answer.

“There was a discussion with the Ladies, but they will do as we ask.” He kept silent on the Ladies’ reaction. “However, all of them will be attending together. There was a discussion, but that is the agreement.” Listening to the incipient protests forming he continued. “The agreement is made. They have all done this before and the Commissioner agrees.” The protests subsided.

“Now, Major, lighten our day with your tales of your travels and we will also have some refreshment!” Removing his feet and rising, General Major Dennus pulled a bottle of fermented grain from the cabinet behind his desk. The staff were both surprised and delighted. They also noted that it was in a bottle of a shape they had never seen before.

“It was given to me by our Master,” Dennus explained. “He said that I would know when to produce it. We are unlikely to have much time to relax in the future. So, let us relax now.” He turned to Major Dule. “You’re on!

0