Chapter Thirty Six Cami, the Palace and the Dark Lord.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A weeping Cami had been put to bed in one of the palaces richly decorated rooms on the third floor. Both the bedroom and living room were finished in a similar fashion. The living room wall was wood lined from about one third of the way up to the ceiling. From where the wood started the walls were plaster, painted a bone white, down to the floor, which was covered by a rich green carpet. Where the plaster and wood joined was a chair rail, painted a bright white. The ceiling was a bright blue, with white patches resembling clouds. The well-appointed bathroom was painted a bright white and a light yellow. In the bedroom, which had a large bed, the ceiling was painted a light blue while the walls were the same as the living room. The floor of the bedroom was a light red carpet, while the floor in the bathroom was a veined light marble.

All the rooms had furniture to suit. The bedroom had two closets and a lounge chair while the living room had a sofa, a recliner and two lounge chairs and various side and low tables. The walls of both rooms were decorated by paintings showing scenes from what Cami later decided were strange worlds. The Bathroom had been outfitted with all items necessary for use.

Once deposited in her bed, Cami stayed there for the rest of the day, picking at the lunch and dinner she was brought by polite young ushers. Carli stayed with her until Cami told her to go to bed. Protesting, Carli felt that the young girl should not be left alone so she resisted. Provoked into stubbornness, Cami climbed out of the bed and stalked into the living room, continuing to argue. The argument was building when there was a chime from the door. Frowning, Carli turned and looked at the ancient door, caught in indecision.

Without a word, Cami turned and opened the door opened it. Standing there were two of the Ladies who, with a smile stepped into the room, Lady Sydney leading. Following was a slim, lithe woman of medium height with straight black hair and pale skin. She was wearing a short black dress that contrasted beautifully with her skin. High heels completed her outfit. Both Carli and Cami were silenced by the appearance of the two Ladies.

“I am Taryn.” The Lady’s voice had a soft and pleasing lilt to it. “You must be Nurse Janist.” She said and then turned to Cami who had reverted to the teaching of her childhood and was standing with her hands behind her back, eyes lowered. “And you must be Cami,” she smiled.

“Yes Lady,”

“Do you want to sleep, Cami?” The Lady took a seat on the couch.

Slowly, Cami shook her head sending a swift glance at her guardian at the same time.

“Lets us talk then.” Lady Taryn beckoned Cami over to the well cushioned couch. Sitting with casual elegance, she waited while Cami decided what she was going to do.

*********

Lady Sydney in the meantime had spoken to Carli. “Taryn will talk with Cami, but you must be exhausted, let me guide you to your room where you may rest.”

Stilling the nurses’ incipient protest, Nurse Janist was efficiently guided from the room. It was a few steps to Carli’s room and the slender yet rounded red head entered with the nurse.

“Do not worry about Cami, she is in safe hands and will only be encouraged to talk by Taryn. Nothing more.” Lady Sydney assured the nurse. Looking closely at Carli, she continued. “But you also have been through a trying time and need to rest.” Giving one of her big and charismatic smiles, which left Carli somewhat dazed, Lady Sydney left.

Looking around the room, Carli saw that it was almost identical to Camis room. Examining the paintings, she felt that she could identify some, but others were a complete mystery. Looking at the bed, she suddenly felt tired. Dropping her clothes on the lounge chair, she pulled back the covers. And naked except for her panties, fell asleep.

*********

Still standing in a state of confusion, as said Cami was not immune to the charm of the Ladies, she wondered what to do. After watching her for a moment, Taryn said, “Why don’t you sit down Cami.”

Slowly Cami moved to one of the lounge chairs and sat down. For a fraction Lady Taryn watched the young woman as she sat stiffly upright. “Just relax.” She said. “All we will do is talk.”

“What will we talk about?”

“Just tell me what you remember about your home world. I have never been to Ti Lepus and I would like to hear about it.”

“Why?”

Lady Taryn gave a soft laugh. “A good question. But really, what else do you want to talk about?”

Cami shrugged, but slowly she was sitting back into the chair, relaxing. The pale woman fascinated her. She had never seen anyone who looked like her. Even the red-haired Lady Sydney was more familiar then Lady Taryn. She could also sense the magnetic personality that all the Ladies of the Circle were renowned for; even when deliberately subdued. She could not help but be drawn to the Lady and trust her.

“My world has strange rules, like we have to wait for the oldest or a parent to sit down at the table before we could.” Cami thought that saying this wouldn’t be too bad. “We also called the meal in the evening, ‘Evening Tide’. I don’t know why.” Cami stole a glance at Lady Taryn from her chair.

“That’s interesting,” Lady Taryn said when Cami had sat in silence for a fraction. “Tell me more.”

“Like what?’

“How about how you dress. I would like to hear from someone who knows.”

“Why?’

“I hear that it is a bit, unusual.” Lady Taryn spoke in a quiet voice. “Do you know why?”

“No.” Cami whispered, eyes wide, she was now curled in the chair.

“Why not?”

“I don’t know.” After a fraction, she continued. “We aren’t allowed to ask.”

“You are allowed to ask here.” Lady Taryn assured Cami.

Cami just looked down. After a fraction, she raised her head and began to talk. She described the event when a student asked the wrong question and was dealt with harshly. She also talked about the family discussion when she told them about the incident much later. Finishing she looked up at Lady Taryn.

“Is that why those people wanted to hurt us?” Cami asked with a touch of fear after she was finished.

Lady Taryn sighed. “I’m sorry but I can’t tell you why Cami. Eight are dead and gone and cannot answer. The one that survived is beyond my reach, so I do not have any real answer for you.”

“Not with all your powers?” Cami was almost shaking; her eyes were wide and her voice was a whisper. “Even Him?”

“The ‘He’ that you refer to won’t interfere with planetary affairs unless absolutely necessary.” The explanation clearly did not satisfy Cami who frowned. Seeing this Lady Taryn continued. “Do you want to see your planet torn apart in violent war? You already know the effects of violence. That is what will happen if we of the Circle and the Master were to openly force change on your planet.”

The Lady stood. “Now it is late, and we have spoken over long.” With a smile she waved at the bedroom. “You should sleep.”

“Oh, I have so much to think about.” Cami protested. “I couldn’t!”

Ignoring her protests, Lady Taryn led the teenager into the bedroom. “Bed clothes are in the drawers there.” She pointed to a dresser with several drawers. “Other clothes, are in other drawers or hanging up in the closet.” She explained. “There are several different styles, so you can make a choice of what you want to wear. It’s up to you and what you want to do.” With another smile the Lady turned and left, closing the rooms’ door behind her.

Standing still for a fraction in the bedroom, Cami looked around. Turning out the bedroom lights and going to a window, she pulled the curtain aside and looked out at the myriad of flickering lights in what was the imperial garden, back lit by the canyon city beyond. A few people were wandering around and she watched them for a fraction and observed as a pair of security guards wandered up and talked to them. The interaction between the two confused her as after a brief talk the two guards left in one direction while the people who were spoken to also left, apparently content, in a different direction. The difference between this world and the one she had left behind was clearly marked.

Stepping back from the window and allowing the curtain to drop, she turned on a bedside light. As she did so, she surprised herself with a yawn. Going to the dresser, Cami started pulling out what she believed to be the drawer with bedclothes. She was wrong, it contained light tops. Checking through each drawer and stifling more yawns, she finally found the right one and marveled at the selection as she had at each drawer she had opened.

Selecting bed clothes that she felt would be comfortable, she stifled another yawn and changed. Climbing back into her bed Cami marvelled at its size and softness. Laying back she closed her eyes and thought, I will rest for just a fraction, as she rolled over and started to softly snore.

*********

A soft chime startled her awake. It repeated. Scrambling out of the luxurious bed, she ran to the tall armoire where, as she suspected, a housecoat was hanging. Throwing it on, she scampered to the apartment door. Arriving, she hesitated. “Who’s there?” She called.

“It is the Head Usher.” A rather solemn voice announced. “May we enter?”

After a slight hesitation, Cami opened the door, realising as she did so, that it wasn’t locked. In fact, there was no lock at all.  Startled, she exclaimed, “Why is there no lock?”

The tall, rather severe looking man dressed in a strange uniform, who was now holding the door open for two young looking junior ushers, each holding an object, answered as if it was a question of the gravest import.

“None of the doors have locks, except the doors which allow access to the outside, Miss Nep.” He imparted the information in the manner of a judge passing a severe sentence on a forlorn miscreant. “Our Master secures the building day and night, whether he is here or not.” A brief smile suddenly softened the severe face. “You may sleep soundly knowing that you are safe. He will allow no harm to befall his honoured guest.” The Head Usher bowed then turned to the two juniors.

Taken aback by the information she had just received; she was an honoured guest? Cami timidly followed the Head Usher back into the main room where the two juniors had set up a table and placed her breakfast on it. The pair, Cami suddenly realised that they were both young women, possibly a few years older than her. When they both bowed to her, she was so taken aback, she automatically returned the bow.

“These two juniors will attend on you today and perhaps for the duration of your stay, depending on its length.” The Head Usher informed Cami in his ponderous manner.

“I see, thank you.” Cami replied, uncertain of what to say and not understanding the full import of what she was being told.

“Our Masters instructions.” The Head Usher bowed and, with stately thread, left.

Cami watched him leave with astonishment at the whole performance, then turned to the pair left with her. One immediately pulled the chair out and gestured at Cami to sit. Slowly she complied and the second junior moved the portable table in front of her and removed the cover. Cami stared at the meal. There were two different types of meat, an egg dish and a fried vegetable that she recognised as taters. Rounding out the setting was a bowl of hot cereal and a small carafe of a juice with a cup beside it. Eating utensils were set to one side.

Cami stared at the meal, uncertain where to begin. See her hesitation, the usher who had uncovered the plate, spoke to reassure her. “Don’t be afraid Miss Nep, cook makes sure that nothing she puts before her guests will upset them.”

“Oh,” Cami replied, “I just wasn’t sure where to start.” She began to eat. Suddenly hungry she continued. All too sudden, the tray was empty and the now satisfied girl sat back.

“All finished Miss Nep? I can fetch more if you are still hungry.” One of the ushers had stayed with her while the other had disappeared into the bedroom, but now returned.

Cami looked at the usher, suddenly embarrassed at how she had eaten and that she didn’t know either of their names.

“I am sorry.” She stammered, moving to stand up. The second usher moved quickly to take away the tray and its contents. “I didn’t mean to eat like that, and I never asked you your names.” She was standing as she had been taught, eyes lowered, and hands clasped behind her back.

The two ushers exchanged startled glances. “I am Heidi, Miss.” The one who had stayed with her said. “Miss, I am Jo,” the second offered. Heidi was slightly taller with black hair, rare blue eyes and tanned skin. She was slender, but like Jo neither had any part of the subtle charm of the Ladies. Jo was shorter and compact, with brown eyes and sandy brown hair. Both were wearing the same uniform, a white shirt with black ties and vests. Black pants and shoes completed the ensemble. Their heads were uncovered.

“You have no need to apologise to us, Miss.” Heidi said. “We were told that you had been through a great ordeal.” Cami had lifted her eyes in surprise.

“In any case Miss, nothing that you say or do here with be repeated by any of the palace staff, ever.” Jo smiled.

They both smiled, bowed and opened the door. Jo, to Camis shock, carrying her soiled clothes. “My clothes …” She whispered.

Jo caught Camis words and replied solemnly, “Don’t worry, just taking them to clean. They will be returned by this evening.” As they left, they met Carli who had slept in just like Cami.

“Good morning Nurse Janist,” Heidi greeted Carli with a smile and a bow. Jo also gave a bow but remained silent. The pair vanished down the third-floor corridor.

At the door, Carli watched the two ushers as they left, then turned to Cami with a raised eyebrow. “Ready for the day Cami?”

Having recovered her composure, Cami nodded as she said yes.

“Perhaps a wash up and getting dressed might be a good idea.” Carli suggested.

For the first time Carli heard Cami giggle. Must have been a good talk last night, she thought. “Half a period, I will be right next door.” Carli left, shutting the door behind her.

Although she was in wonder at the size and superlative finish of the bathroom that was all hers, she didn’t tarry. This was a new day and she wanted to make the most of it! Arriving at Carlis room, she got a surprise. Ladies Sydney and Taryn were there ahead of her.

“We will not be meeting with you this morning, Cami. You must continue on your own for now.” Lady Taryn said after having Cami sit beside Carli on the couch.

“But what if I need you?” Cami asked, her eyes round and suddenly full of tears.

“If you do, we will know” Lady Sydney assured the young woman. “Don’t worry about it.” Lady Sydney gave one of her big, mesmerizing smiles. “We’ll take you down to the stewards’ office and get you both fixed up there. They will also tell you where to go to eat, you are not always going to get breakfast delivered to you!”

Slightly over powered by Lady Sydney’s charm, Cami just nodded, then turned to Carli. “What should we do today then?” She asked.

Carli nodded and suggested a walk in the garden. “It will give you a chance to stretch your legs and get some fresh air.”

“Oh yes,” Cami said, “I’ll like that. A sound at the door caught their attention. Turning they saw that Heidi was waiting there.

“I was instructed to be here at this time.” She announced as she bowed.

“And you are right on time.” Sydney smiled. The Lady then instructed Heidi to take both Carli and Cami to the stewards’ office so that they could be properly signed into the palace. Camis sensitive antenna got the impression that, of the two Ladies, Lady Sydney was somehow the superior, if only slightly. Having only heard a few stories about the Ladies she wanted to know more but was unsure how to ask. She also wondered how Heidi knew or was instructed to be there at that time.

It took shorter than feared but longer than hoped for to have the complicated process of getting the two visitors inducted into the palace security system. To Camis relief, she did not need to be presented to The Dark Lord. Having met him just the once that she remembered, she wasn’t in a hurry to meet him again!

“The garden, Cami?” Carli asked.

“Yes, lets!” Cami gave an open smile. Nurse Janist was pleased, it seemed that Cami was beginning to get over her trauma although the nurse realised that there would be relapses.

Touring the garden was magical for both Carli and Cami, however they could only see a small part as it was so large. Also, they had to be back for lunch. Met at the entrance to the restricted quarters by both Heidi and Jo, they were guided to the room where the members of the palace ate.

“Everyone eats here?” Cami asked, her eyes wide in surprise. She recognised the Head Steward and his assistant, Nikki. Many others were there which Cami recognised by their uniform: cleaners, carpenters, cooks as well as other office staff, security guards along with others whose uniforms were unfamiliar.

“Yes.” Jo answered as she showed Cami where the plates and cutlery were stacked. She then escorted Cami down the table groaning under the weight of the repast set on it.

Watching, Carli glanced at Heidi. “I don’t know who had the idea of asking the pair of you to assist with Cami, but it seems to have done wonders.” She said. “Thank you.”

“No need to thank us Madam, we’re are just performing our duties as instructed.” The Usher replied as she guided the nurse to the table, and they collected their meal.

“If she says anything that you think I should know….” Carli left the rest of the sentence unsaid while wondering exactly what Heidi’s statement meant.

“Sorry Madam, anything said to us remains between us.”

At the firm answer, Carli stared at the usher.

“It’s the tradition of the palace. Absolute discretion.” Heidi gave the nurse a look and a shrug as she took a swig from the tumbler she was balancing.

“Even from the Ladies?” She got a nod in reply.

“What about …?” Went with raised eyebrows and a nod of the head towards the corridor.

Heidi got the message. She grimaced and shrugged. “I am told that he admires courage.” She replied, the shrugged. “Anyway, he seems to have his own sources.” The two nodded and drifted apart.

The nurse carefully watched Cami for a space and when she noted that Cami seemed tired, suggested that she return to her room to rest.

This continued for a few days, Cami usually talked to Lady Taryn once or twice a day as needed. One day a tall Lady with long dark hair bound by a silver coloured circlet, appeared and introduced herself. Both Cami and Carli were awed, they had both heard of Lady Luca and knew that she was amongst those who were said to be closest to the Dark Lord.

Cami and Lady Luca talked for a long time. Carli never learnt what they said to each other.

*********

Over the course of a number of days, Cami came out of her shell, began to explore the palace, its grounds and started to talk to the younger staff members. Cami and Carli never learnt that the Dark Lord had spoken to the junior staff and suggested that there would be no problem to do so, but that work would have to still be completed!

It was during lunch a few days after Cami arrived that the anticipated crisis emerged.

It was lunchtime and the usual meal was being taken. Cami was talking to some of the junior staff while eating. Carli was also talking, in her case to a couple of the more senior staff including Heidi.

About to make another comment, a change in Camis attitude caught Carlis attention. Where she had been smiling and talking with other young ladies and men, she was now urgently asking questions and looking unhappy at the replies. Abruptly leaving the group she had been in, a stunned look on her face, she dropped her plate with other soiled plates and turned to the door.

“I’ll take your plate.” Heidi said to Carli and nodded to the door that Cami was even now leaving through.

With a word of thanks Carli left, chasing Cami down the corridor. Catching up with her at the steps leading up to the second and third floors, she asked what was bothering the young woman.

Shaking her head, Cami continued without saying anything. Finally reaching the third floor, she slowed, pacing back and forwards.

“The staff, they were talking about a task force. A big one.” She stopped. “It was going to my planet. They said that there could be fighting.” She started to cry and ran down to her room.

Startled, Carli followed a fraction later. While she knew about the task force in general, she had not considered the effect of its existence on Cami. As she walked, she shook her head with anger at herself.

“Cami,” she said as she entered the room. “It may not mean anything.”

“You don’t do something like that without it meaning something.” Cami replied. “I asked what was in the task force and I was told. One that big could destroy the planet.”

“You don’t know that Cami. Not for sure.”

“When I was healing on the space station, I was given a comm unit as you know. One day, I was bored, there wasn’t much for me to do after all, so I looked up the empire. Well, one of the links I followed led me to the empire’s forces. Just one of the big armoured ships could blow up Ti Lepus.” Cami glared at Nurse Janist. “And he sent four! As well as other big ships.” Suddenly she sat up. “Ma and Da,” She whispered.

Slowly Cami looked around the room. Getting up, she wandered around, stopping to look out a window at the garden. Carli watched, the process of a decision in the making was obvious. Coming back to the couch Cami stood and gave one final look around. Squaring her shoulders and lifting her chin, Cami looked straight at the woman who had been designated as her guardian and spoke clearly and firmly.

“I want to see Him!”

0