Part Seven. Destruction. Chapter Thirty Eight. Some escape and One arrives.
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More than two days standard had passed when there was a call from the planet surface. It was not Leves or the council. It was Chief Inspector Nic ra Ptocto. Major Houser took the call immediately. Commissioner Cos Flores moved to his side.

“How can we help you, Chief Inspector?” Better keep it formal, thought the Major.

“What was said earlier, still stands? We may have birth soon.”

Major Houser thought furiously. “Certainly. When is delivery?” He replied.

“Within the period. A doctor is needed and we are waiting.” Ptocto informed the Major.

“Understood. Standing by.”

“Agreed. Out.” The comm unit clicked off.

“What was that about?” Commissioner Flores looked concerned.

“I think that you know already,” smiled Houser.

“You offered sanctuary?”

“Yes, to Nic and his team. But after the Dark Lords message, I don’t know who or how many now.” The Major just shrugged. “We will have to wait and see. I am going to talk to General Dennus, Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo right now.”

The senior officer’s reactions were consistent with their concerns. Vice Admiral Hojo wasn’t worried, this not in his operational area. General Dennus was concerned however. What would the reaction be on the planet? What would be the reaction of the Ladies? Admiral De Johnston was the most concerned. He had recognised immediately that a coded warning was included. What was going to be expected of the task force?

Dennus was considering the task forces potential problems. His first reaction was to protect whatever craft would be used, until Admiral De Johnston pointed out that it was not really a good idea to shoot at a planet that was part of the Empire.

“Perhaps we could move a cruiser close enough to put them between the planet and whatever craft they are using?” General Dennus wondered.

“Good idea. If we knew where and what shuttle they will be using.” Came the response from Admiral De Johnston.

“We will tell you.”

Hearing the unexpected, but familiar, voice behind him, Dennis practically jumped out of his chair.

“Who’s there?” barked Admiral De Johnston.

“It is Andrea,” the Lady replied, moving into the transmitting area of the Holo comm.

“My Lady!” All of the holograph images jumped to their ghostly feet.

“The craft will be coming towards the cargo transfer station, in less than half a period. There will be no attempt to destroy it.” Lady Andrea smiled. “Councillor Markus worked to arrange the matter so that the good inspector and his team could escape. There will also be a number of young women on board. Those must be brought to this ship.”

“My Lady, there is room and more on any of the planetoids under command, along with a team of specialists to help them.” Admiral De Johnston protested.

“Admiral De Johnston, we know that. However these girls, for that is what they are, will be best served on this ship.” Lady Andrea paused. “We should also tell you that our Master has spoken to Councillor de Markus because he has provided help to those who wished to leave. He is working to save the planet and this is a critical time for all.”

There was a fraction of silence as this was absorbed. Both the revelation that the Dark Lord was now involved, as well as the reality that they could be ordered into action imminently.

“Lady Andrea, what do we do now?” Vice Admiral Hojo wanted to know. “I have concerns about your security and Captain Thompson will need to know how many people she has to accommodate.”

“We wait Admiral, we wait,” Lady Andrea calmly replied. “As for the good Captain, she is no doubt monitoring this communication and is doubtless making the necessary arrangements as we speak. Security will not be a problem.” There followed an uncomfortable silence as the truth of this statement seeped in.

“As you wish, Lady.” Admiral De Johnston knew when to concede a losing fight.

“Thank you Admiral,” Andrea pointed, “See the shuttle has left the planet.”

A ripple of shock ran through the listeners. Even before the sensors and scanners of the Empire announced the departure from the planet of the shuttle, Lady Andrea saw it.

The confirmations flowed in from scanner crews, unaware of the consternation roiling amongst the senior staff. Of these, Dennus, Dule and Thompson, were the least affected. Their recent experiences having given them an appreciation of the powers the Ladies concealed.

The shuttle approached the cargo transfer station and swept past it. Transmissions began flashing from both the station and the ground, demanding answers which were ignored. As with the previous episode, the shuttle contacted the Empires station with a call for asylum.

With dispatch, the shuttle docked and the passengers off loaded. Eleven young women, all of whom were confused and somewhat frightened, were transferred to the Maiden Constance. It was just a period later that Chief Councillor Leja Leves made his anticipated call.

“You are stealing our young women now?” He was practically frothing. “I demand that they be returned immediately.”

Major Houser took the call calmly. “It is a pleasure to talk to you Chief Councillor. Do you wish to reopen negotiations with the Ambassadors?” He watched while Leves fought for control. “By my repeater, almost fourteen periods are left that you have available to you.”

“I demand that these criminals be returned at once.”

“That is a matter that is outside my authority. Whether or not they are criminals has yet to be established. You must discuss this with the Dark Lord’s Ambassadors.” He paused. “If you will stand by, I will transfer your call to their ship.”

“I have no wish to listen to lies spouted by the Empire’s tools.” Leves snarled. “I demand the return of our stolen citizens. That includes all the ones on the first shuttle!”

Houser’s face had hardened at the insult to both the Ambassadors and the Empire. Softly, he replied, “Do you really think that insulting the Ambassadors is the best way to proceed, Chief Minister?” There was a pause before he continued. “It is hardly the way to secure cooperation of anyone, particularly the Ambassadors.”

“There will be no further discussions without all citizens of Ti Lepus returning to their home!”

“Chief Councillor, we are ready to switch your call to the Ambassadors ship now, please wait.”

“I will never bow to those, those….” Leves waved his hand and his image vanished.

“Well, that’s that,” Major Houser mused. General Dennus had been monitoring the transmission and his image now appeared before the Major.

“Nothing you could do Major.” The General assured Major Houser. “I will inform the Ambassadors.”

“Sir.” Dennus’s image disappeared.

*********

On the Maiden Constance, Dennus walked to the suite of rooms occupied by the Ladies that now included eleven young women. Squaring his shoulders, he reached for the annunciator. As he did so, the door slid open with Lady Jasmine on the other side, smiling at him. Shaken as always, he felt that he would never get used to the Ladies’ sixth sense so he covered his discomfort with a joke and a smile. “Waiting for me my Lady?” Her smile broadened.

“Come in General,” Dennus’s eyes swept the room as he took a step in. The young women all stood up submissively with their hands behind their backs and their heads lowered. Their conditioned behaviour holding them in its grip. Most looked frightened.

“You have news for us, General?” Lady Dana sat back in her chair and regarded him calmly.

“There has been a communication, my Lady.”

“And Chief Councillor Leves refuses to talk until everyone is returned to the planet, of course.”

“Correct, Lady Dana.” Out of the corner of his eyes he noted the young women were now staring open mouthed at the two of them.

“The call did not go to you.” The question was phrased as a statement.

“No, it went to Major Houser. He tried to have it switched to this ship, but the Chief Councillor refused and cut the transmission.”

“I see.” Lady Dana looked thoughtful. “And the time limit?”

“Less than fourteen full periods, my Lady.” He absently noted that the young women were hanging on every word, mouths open at the deference being shown to a woman. “I can get an accurate time. This is being closely monitored by Captain Thompson.” Dennus pulled out his comm unit.

“It matters not. The decision to call or not call rests with Chief Councillor Leves. It is up to him. As for the return of those who sought asylum.” Lady Dana paused for a fraction and stood, the eyes of the young women fixed on her. The other Ambassadors stood as well. “You may tell Chief Councillor Leves that the decision of the Master is final and none will be returned.” Lady Dana’s smile turned dangerous, Dennus felt a sliver of fear run down his back. “He can discuss that directly with the Master when He arrives.”

“The Dark Lord is coming here?” Dennus felt frozen in place.

“He is.” There was silence for a fraction. The young women were now surrounding them, eyes round with a mixture of fear and wonder.

“May I know the time Lady, and is it in order for me to pass this news to others in authority?”

“Soon, and you may.”

“My Lady.” Dennus nodded his head and left.

*********

In his office, Dennus initiated a conference call with Captain Thompson, Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo. Their reactions were the same as his. After Dennus was finished, they fell silent for a fraction.

Finally, Admiral Johnston drew a deep breath and spoke for everyone. “If He arrives in any of your ships please let me know, and I will do the same.” He paused, receiving acknowledgements from the others. “It seems to me that He will choose your ship, Captain Thompson, rather than one of ours, but who knows. Thank you for the warning, General.”

“Just doing the job, sir.”

“Ok everyone, back to work.” And they all signed off, except for Captain Thompson.

“Any other orders, sir?”

“No Captain. Just put anyone from the planet through to me straight away.” Not that I am expecting anyone, he thought.

“Will do, sir.” The comm link vanished.

Dennus looked at his staff who had sat quietly watching through all this.

“Any suggestions?” From the general to his staff only got headshakes. Dennus laughed. “I am out of any ideas anyway.” He checked the ships repeater on his comm. “We have thirteen and a half standard periods. Go get some rest and food. You will be called if necessary.” He smiled again, “That is what I am going to do.”

Saluting and with a variety of farewells, the three left.

Stretching, Dennus walked to his personal food dispenser. He rarely used it, preferring to dine with his staff. Punching in an entrée, he waited the short time for the meal to be dispensed.

“I will have a plate as well,” followed by a chuckle, made Dennus jump.

Slowly, he turned around, ignoring the soft chime announcing that his meal was ready.

Keeping his voice even, Dennus looked at the Dark Lord standing beside the desk. Dressed as He was in his usual dark clothes and hooded cape, He cut an imposing figure of power.

“I will have to congratulate Admiral De Johnston on his foresight. He expected you to would come here,” The General spoke as he took a step towards his desk. He stopped when the Dark Lord held up his hand.

“Take your plate and eat.” The Dark Lord said. “I will dine later, and the good Admiral as well as the others do not need to be disturbed.”

Taking his serving tray and meal, Dennus sat at his table. The Dark Lord took a seat nearby in the sitting area, having removed His cloak. It occurred to Dennus that he had never, in all his time at the palace, seen the Dark Lord eat. On an impulse, he decided to ask.

“Sire, when do you eat?” The Dark Lord looked at Dennus in surprise.

“Now that is a question I have never been asked.” He laughed. “Yes, I do eat. I actually enjoy a good meal, although I mostly eat in private and I can go for long periods without sustenance.” He laughed again. “Contrary to tales I have heard, I do not eat babies!”

There was silence for a few fractions of a period while Dennus ate. The Dark Lord sat back on the couch He occupied, fingers steepled and eyes closed. As Dennus finished, His eyes opened and His arms were folded.

“The Ladies know I am here. But you know that.” The Dark Lord said quietly.

“I guessed, sire. They seem to have a … instinct.” The General had a rueful look as he continued, “They enjoy opening the door on their suite, just as I am prepared to announce myself.”

The Dark Lord laughed. “They do enjoy their little games.” He sobered. “But time is short. If Leves wants to live, he will have to call soon.” He settled back on the couch, eyes again closed.

“I understand that you spoke to Councillor De Markus, sire.”

“I did. He and I have spoken several times over the last many years as I perceived the growing crisis. Together we have managed to keep it in check, until now.” This information drew a look of awe from Dennus. He wondered just how many threads the Dark Lord kept in his hands. The Dark Lord’s eyes opened. “There are few I have admired more.” There was a space of silence. “He has more to do however.”

“Did anyone else know that you have spoken with him?” Dennus was uncertain about the last statement but decided not to ask.

“No, and neither did I have anything to do with those who escaped the planet and petitioned for asylum, apart from the warning I gave through Major Dule.” He smiled. “The poor Major, he had no idea, I will take him aside and apologise. He deserves it.”

Picking up His cloak, He stood, placing the cloak around His shoulders. Dennus stood with him.

“It is time for me to go to the Ladies. They will have prepared the young ones who are terrified at the sound of my name. Unfairly, but that is how sometimes things turn out.” He shrugged. “Tell the good Admiral De Johnston that there will be need of two vessels from his task force for the transport of those seeking asylum. I wish to keep the two parties separate until they reach Tihab.”

“I agree, sire. However those women are too young and inexperienced to travel without supervision. Will the Ladies be travelling with them?”

“That is a matter I shall take in hand.” The Dark Lord was being enigmatic.

The General felt it best to just nod and reply with a “Yes, sire.” Dennus continued, “I shall contact the task force commander at once, sire.” With a nod, the Dark Lord opened the door and left. At the sudden stamping of feet and commotion outside that he heard before the door fully closed, Dennus smiled. A group was passing by, he realised.

At his desk, he commed Admiral De Johnston. Hearing the request of the Dark Lord, De Johnston immediately agreed to designate a pair of battleships which formed a sub group of the close escort force. Vice Admiral Hojo agreed and the two captains affected were informed. They immediately moved to collect their respective passengers.

On hearing that they were being moved, the men objected. Explanations were made and, when it was learnt that the Dark Lord Himself had ordered both their removal and that of the young women, in addition expediting their journey to the administrative center of the Empire, objections were stilled. Further information that they were going to join the previous party including Sessi Dark gen Wattar and Cami sis Nep, had a calming effect as well, especially with the eleven young ladies. These last were happy to leave the battleship which had the Dark Lord on it.

To their disgust, Ladies’ Lisa, Savanna, Lakeisha and Jasmine were designated to escort the young women of Ti Lepus back to Tihab. There had been arguments, carried out in their strange language that they used from time to time, but they had all been firmly rebuffed by the Dark Lord. The intensity of the Ladies’ disapproval had caused some of the observers to step back, anticipating the Dark Lord’s wrath. However, He had remained calm and smoothly refuted all objections.

Dennus was uncertain what was said that caused the discussion to come to an end but the shuttle was soon away and the sub unit was on its way to the Galactic Rim Transfer Station. He felt that Lady Andrea and Lady Dana who were staying had something to do with it.

Watching from monitors in the control room, both Captain Thompson and General Major Dennus showed their relief at this development.

“Well, another step done and they are on their way!” As the two ships winked out of sight. Captain Thompson gave a small, relieved smile.

“The more important part is still to be done,” Dennus spoke a little grimly. “And we still have guests.”

“But your part seems to be over and you can relax.”

“Perhaps.” Dennus gave a thin smile.

“Not quite yet, General.” From the Dark Lord brought both officers and their staff to attention. The rest of the bridge staff also started to rise.

“Everyone back to work now.” Captain Thompson ran a taut ship.

The Dark Lord stepped onto the bridge, His cloak around His shoulders. Lady Andrea and Lady Dana followed Him. Also following was the slender Lady with light brown hair that Dennus had noted at the palace. He was not surprised to see her.

“Captain, time to the deadline, if you please?” The Dark Lord asked.

“Navigation!” Captain Thompson indicated the officer that she had taken the precaution of designating to keep track of the deadline.

”Eleven decimal three nine two periods sir.” Was the prompt response.

“Anything else, sire.” Captain Thompson turned her attention to her guests.

“No thank you, Captain.” The Dark Lord turned to General Major Dennus. “General, you will serve as my conduit to the rest of the fleet present, if you please.” He then turned to Major Dule.

“Major, I must apologise for using you in the manner I did. I could not be sure that you would be present when the good Chief Inspector talked to Major Houser. That is why I did not warn you. I am sorry.”

Major Dule swallowed and nodded. He managed, “It was no problem, sire.” The Dark Lord smiled and turned to the view screen.

“It is time to talk to Chief Councillor Leves. There is a little surprise that might help him change his mind.”

The three Ladies accompanying the Dark Lord starred at Him, obviously as surprised as everyone else. He drew his hood up over His head then pointed at the projector. Leves image appeared, staring open mouthed.

“What, who, who allowed this?’ Leves stuttered in surprise.

“I did.”

“And who are you?” Leves was recovering.

“Your Master.”

Whatever else he was, Leves was no coward. His face hardened. “We of Ti Lepus have no master. We are a free people.”

“Really? And how are your women treated? Your underclass people? Do they not acknowledge the higher classes? Is not status and class the most important part of their lives? Is this freedom or fiefdom?”

“Ha, what you say is simply how our lives are run. It is nothing.” He waved his hand, obviously wanting to disconnect. Others could be clearly heard trying to cut the connection.

Ignoring their efforts, the Dark Lord continued, “That is the kind of excuse that is used to justify actions otherwise unacceptable, this will soon be made clear to the population at large. But I wish to raise a different point. Do you recall your history lessons? Do you recall what happened when Ti Lepus joined the Empire?”

“Bah! History. It is nothing.” Leves was practically grinding his teeth.

“I disagree, and let us review your some of your history. Some three thousand standard years ago, the first contact was made between the people of Ti Lepus and the Empire. There were negotiations, between the two. These lasted for some hundreds of years, we were not in a hurry and neither were your rulers of the time. But an agreement was reached at last. A treaty was signed.” The Dark Lord paused. There was silence from the connection, it seemed that the technicians had given up trying to break the connection.

“So? What has this to do with now?” Leves could not stop himself from asking.

“You had better read the terms that were specified for the joining of Ti Lepus to the Empire. They were very specific.” Leves was silent. “You will find that the original of your copy has been under careful restoration by your custodians of the treaty for the last several months. It was thought to have been lost, you may recall, but it had simply been mislaid.” The Dark Lord smiled. “I will extend the time limit, until midday in two days, your time and location.” The connection disappeared. There was silence.

“Recalculate.” The command went from the Captain to the navigator. That man jerked, he had listened, rapt as everyone on the bridge was.

“Yes sir … Now two days, twelve decimal two nine one periods.”

The three Ladies were still staring at the Dark Lord. He laughed. At this, General Major Dennus stepped forward.

“Sire, if I am to assist you, perhaps I may contact Admiral De Johnston to advise him, and, so I can fully inform him on the reason for the rescheduling of the deadline. Could you please explain what just transpired?” The Ladies turned at the Generals question with looks of respect.

“An intelligent question, artfully posed.” The Dark Lord appeared pleased. Everyone relaxed slightly.

“The treaty that was signed was similar to all others and, as such, contained clauses which governed the way the Empire reacted with the planet as well as the planet’s relations with the Empire,” He began. “With regard to leaving the Empire, this treaty is unusual in that it contained a clause which expressly bound the planet of Ti Lepus with the Empire, and vice versa. That means I can’t kick Ti Lepus out and neither could Ti Lepus leave. There is also a non-negotiable aspect included in the clause. That means we cannot even negotiate a release. To be clear, I had nothing to do with these clauses being part of the treaty, although I was aware of them.” He shrugged. “If Leves refuses again and demands release and the planet, which it has so far, supports him, then I see my way clear.”

The last part of the sentence was delivered in a flat chilling tone. Then the Dark Lord smiled. “However there are other forces in play and an unanticipated factor is about to come into play.”

With His icy gaze, the Dark Lord swept the bridge. “General you may bring the rest of the task force up-to-date. I will have orders for the task force soon.” He turned on his heel and left. The Ladies followed, exchanging looks no less startled then any others present as they did so.

0