Chapter 7: Bogeyman
431 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After dinner mom suggested once more that we should relax in my bedroom and get plenty of sleep.

Our maids changed us into pajamas in the changing room and removed the makeup that was so carefully applied only hours ago. Don't ask me how many rooms the Palace has...many....way too many for my taste. But it is what it is.

I forgot to mention that our clothes are made with wings in mind, so we are not bothered by those. I keep forgetting that I have them, but I guess it's just another thing I have to get used to.

River guides us to my bedroom, wishes us pleasant dreams and then simply leaves us be.

Just before we enter the room that is supposedly my own bedroom, Rose says "it's just like in the dorm. Two roomies back together again."

"Yeah, I think I know what you mean. But I don't.....know.......what the heck is this?"

We enter the bedroom and judging from the expression on her face, Rose is as stunned as I am. 
I see a well-lit room. Lit by two magnificent chandeliers, because it's slowly getting dark outside.
The amount of light that those things are emitting is just insane. Probably magic, because I can't see a single candle in this room. If my school is supposed to be a magic school, then why the heck don't they use the same? Ah...money....probably.

There are two separate beds in the space where you could easily fit two or three of those dorm rooms. It's spacious in here alright...

The beds appear to have wooden panels and seem pretty comfortable. Both have pink sheets and purple covers and the pillows have some kind of animal motif. A heart-shaped bright pink fluffy pillow lies near the center of both beds. If anyone doubts that Princess Daisy is a girl by now, they really need help.

The beds look fluffy and very comfy. But that's not all. I liked stuffed animals, plushies, when I was young. But the number of plushies I see at the moment is beyond insane. At least thirty of those are scattered throughout the bedroom. All neatly arranged on shelves and a few are strategically placed on both beds.

Rose looks at me the same way I look at her...our mouths agape. I simply shrug. What else can I do?

I walk into the room and Rose follows, also taking in the sights.

A desk, obviously for studying, is placed near the windows, overlooking the gardens on the front side of the palace. My younger self apparently asked for a room on the second floor, so she could enjoy the balcony. At least that's what mother entrusted to me earlier at dinner. And honestly.....I see why. Nice choice, old me!

On the other side of the room I see a vanity desk. That thing was imported straight from a fairy tale, let me tell you that! Its mirror almost invites me to sit down and comb my long, black hair. I'm sorry, I'm getting carried away. This is the stuff of dreams....but it seems real enough!

"My goddess, Daisy....this is your bedroom?"

"I guess so, Rose. Don't look at me....it's the first time I'm here...so.....as surprised as you are. It's..eh....spacious."

"It sure is. And you seem to like plushies...a lot."

"Yeah.....let's not talk about those. I like to think that I'm too old for them."

"Really? That's a pity." Mother just entered the room. She was standing in the doorway all the time, overhearing everything.

"Oh, mom, sorry, I didn't..."

"Don't worry, dear. You always liked this one." She walks over to the bed and motions us to come closer. "This little thing was your favorite." I can see a tear forming in her eyes.

Should I play along? For her?

I take it in my hands and study it, smell it and feel its weight. It's cute alright. 
"Cuddly fluffy foxie woxie." I don't know why I said that, but I did. I know...forgive me.

"Ba....ba....ma......EXACTLY! That's what you always said!" 
She hugged me and twisted me until she let go....after a minute.

She sits down on the bed and says "Daisy.......you really are in there.....please.....come home..."
Now she starts crying.

Rose doesn't know what to say or do, so she just sits down on the other bed and gives my mom and me some privacy. I sit down next to mom and say "mom, I already have. I'm here. Just...give me some time. I won't leave you."

She wipes away her tears on a handkerchief and says "I'm sorry. I know that, honey. Just....sleep well you two. Tomorrow we'll have a family day. All of us together, like we used to. Nobody will disturb us, I promise. So sleep well you two."

Mother leaves the room pretty quickly. I don't think she has finished crying. Emotions need to come out, whether you like it or not. Better give her some space. This place sure has enough of that.

Without realizing I've been hugging that fox plushie for a while.

"Are you okay?" Rose asks carefully after she joins me on the bed.

"Yeah.....I think I need time....lots of it. Glad you are here with me."

"Anytime. And I can't say I hate the royal treatment your family is giving me."

"Ha ha ha.....sure....that's nice too." I put the fox back on bed and then walked to the balcony.
Large doors open up outwards to the balcony and it provides a nice place to view the gardens...and stars at night. Rose joins me and we both take a few breaths, enjoying the evening air.

"Excuse me, please?" I hear River's voice calling out to us from the bedroom. I didn't expect her to return tonight. 

"Yes, River?"

We return inside and see River waiting for us.

"I just wanted to close the curtains for you. May I also suggest closing the balcony doors? Your father insists on increased security."

"Oh....of course. Sure."  The doors seem to have been open all day, so the room smells fresh. No problem, just close them.

River closes the balcony doors and I hear her turn a key, locking them. Then she gently pulls on the curtains, but leaves a bit open in the middle.

"River?"

"Yes, Daisy?

"Why are there two beds in this bedroom?"

"Oh? Well....when you were little....two years ago perhaps....hahaha....just joking. When you were little, you were afraid of the Bogeyman. You can thank one of the employees, Twig, for that.
You frequently sneaked out of your bedroom and ended up in the staff break room. It's just a few doors that way. Anyway, he always told you a little story when you couldn't sleep. But one time...he told you a scary story. It made you cry for an entire night. Your mother couldn't get you to sleep, nobody could.
The solution however was simple...she asked for another bed in this room. You may not remember it, but I spent quite a number of nights sleeping here, watching over you, cuddling you whenever you had those nightmares again."

"Ohh.....thank you, River. I don't remember that."

"I know. About your memory loss. And don't worry."

"Ah, sure. Oh! What happened to that Twig guy? Did he have to apologize?"

"In a manner of speaking. He was fired the next day."

"Oh....I see."

"Don't worry about that, Daisy. It was his fault. You simply don't tell horror stories to young children. My goddess...it even got under my skin. It really was disgusting. I hate horror stories."

"Yeah, me too." Rose agrees with her.

"So.....just telling....if you want me to return the favor..." I smiled at River.

"Huh? Ha ha ha! You betcha! I know where to find you. I'll keep you to that promise!"

"Anytime."

"Good, now rest you two. Better get some sleep. I can't give you any details, but they have planned quite the day for you two. Look forward to it!"

"Yes!" Both Rose and I say at the same time. We sounded like young children, I know. But 16 isn't that old, right? 

River reminded us that this room has its own toilet and washing area. Let's say that I wasn't surprised about that, considering that this bedroom equals an entire apartment on Earth. But I still don't get why they insist on bathing us and changing us in yet another room.

She closed the bedroom door and left us here to rest.

I double checked that the balcony doors were closed and locked and then asked Rose 
"okay...now what do we do.....do you have a preference for a bed?"

"Eh...I think this one is supposed to be yours?" Rose points at the bed mom sat on earlier.

"Yeah, I guess so. But....if you like....you can sleep next to me? The bed can easily fit 5 people."

"You....you want to have a sleepover?"

"Huh? Yeah! Let's do that! I won't tell anyone! Do you want.........a plushie?"

"What? No! I'm not five anymore..." Rose shakes her head when looking at the shelf full of plushies  behind her.

I walk over to the shelf and take a cute bear-like thing from it, then give it to her. "Look at it. It's practically begging you to cuddle it."

I think that worked. Rose's brain switched to little girl mode for a second and she hugged the plushie.
Only moments later did she see me smile. I could barely hold in an "awwww." But luckily I did.

"Don't worry, Rose. Nothing wrong with that. I'll take that foxie thing, okay? Just....pretend we're having a sleepover. I don't think I even had one of those."

"Huh? You haven't? Awww...okay then."

We both got into bed and indeed, this bed is waaaay too spacious for one person.

After chatting a bit more we both felt sleepy. Really sleepy. At some point Rose didn't respond to my whispers anymore. She didn't notice me seeing her hug that plushie. I guess there really is a kid in all of us. Nomatter how old we think we are. And no....I'm totally not holding that foxie thing...

We both fell into a deep, relaxed slumber. Knowing that we were safe, protected by family. In my own home, reunited with Violet.

18