Chapter 12: The Adventurer’s Guild
377 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning we enjoyed breakfast with the Elders. They thanked us once more for providing the much needed support for their forest as small improvements can already be seen. We simply said that it was the least we could do in return for their hospitality. Something however tells me that they will have lots of snow in their weather forecast for the foreseeable future.

But what happened next made everyone stop eating and start gazing at us.

"Hahahah, yeah, and then she said.........what? What's wrong? Did I say something inappropriate?" Rose said, noticing the bewildered looks all around us.

Everyone was staring at her...and at me. But then both of us realized what was going on. Our bodies....we are changing...ever so slowly.

"Your ears, nails and teeth now resemble those of the Elves." Rose said matter of factly.

"Yeah....same with you...but when did that happen?"

"Just moments ago. That's why everyone is so quiet...." the Matriarch said after stealthily approaching us, "....and I may be prejudiced...but you look....better...more....normal."

"And my indicator is up again. I'm only negative 750." I said, with excitement in my voice.

"Mine is up too. Just negative 981. Nope, just up again...to 980."

"This warrants a celebration! Our goddess has rewarded these two brave souls! Music!" The Matriarch demands.

I just look at Rose and let myself fall over so my head leans on her shoulder. "Not again. Please Rose...please make them stop."

And lucky for us, the Matriarch says "you two will be going to the guild, I presume?"

I look at Rose...there is still hope for us! "YES, Matriarch. That is EXACTLY what we were planning."

"Hahaha.. Very good. Meira shall guide you. But just one question, if I may?"

She looks at Rose, so she replies "eh....sure?"  

I can hear an Elf play on a flute while the Elder is gathering her thoughts. It's a young elf and he missed a few notes right from the beginning. It seems I'm not the only one who noticed as even some of the Elders just winced.

"I just realized. Young Rose here used a teleport spell to teleport here. So....why not just teleport back?"

"Yes, Rose. That is actually a very good question!" I have to agree with the Matriarch.

Rose looks down to the floor. "Eh.....even though I now have the teleport skill, I'm not really confident with using it. I don't know where we'll end up next. So, if you don't mind, eh, I'd rather walk for a month."

The Matriarch looks at her with a serious expression, then laughs as hard as she can "Ha ha ha ha ha, very true. Very true indeed. Now go my friends, while you still have plenty of daylight."

We return a smile and nod, then decide to leave a bunch of happy Elves behind us as quickly as we can.

 

 

We are now finally on our way to the Adventurer's Guild. We fairies are talking while poor Meira is walking. 

"Daisy, don't tell me you don't know what an Adventurer's Guild is?" Meira seems to have jumped on the "let's tease Daisy train" together with Rose.

"Eh.....people can register there as adventurers and kill mean creatures for money?"

"Well, not....exactly. While that happens occasionally, the guild simply offers jobs to commoners."

"So....what's the adventure part about then?" I don't like where this is going.

"Simple, you never know what job will be available."

"Oh...that's....boring I guess."  Not like the stories I remember...

Meira just tried to tease me....but she's just too kind for that, so it's now Rose's time to tease me.
"Daisy, I know you are a Princess, but we commoners have to work for a living. And the guild is a great employer. You know exactly what is expected from you and the pay is pretty reasonable. And sometimes the adventure is real...like escorting merchants through a forest. You never know what dangers may await. But those jobs are only for people trained in combat or magic. Not exactly stuff for fairies to worry about."

"Yeah...<sigh>...I guess. But it still sounds like something to look forward to. I have read many novels where guilds are an important part of the story. So I can't help but feel excited that we are about to visit a real guild. Even though you may find it mundane."

"We Elves frequently visit the guild to exchange fruits and berries for tools or cloth. The guild also offers services like sending a message to another guild. And most guilds offer food and lodging at fair prices. You always know what to expect from the guild." Meira offered the Elves' point of view on the matter. 

"That's true, but also...." 

But I interrupted Rose. "Rose, Rose! Did you see that?"

"What what?" Rose is looking everywhere, same as Meira. "No? what?"

"I have a new skill! I just got a message."

"My goddess, Daisy! We can't see those messages! What.....oh...I see it too!"

"What's happening, guys?" Meira asks.

"Invisibility skill. You have it too?" I asked Rose.

"Yes! It says the skill just got unlocked. Let's use it!"

I nod and activate the skill immediately. Rose is staring at me, expecting me to disappear.
But we both keep looking at each other, neither of us have disappeared at all...

"Nothing happened?" Rose sounds disappointed.

"Eh.....Daisy? Rose? Are you still there? I can't see or hear you anymore."  She stopped walking and her hand found me on her shoulder.  "Ah! Sorry, so you're still there? Did I hurt you? Hello?" 

I fly in front of Meira and try to get her attention, but nothing happens. Then I stopped the experiment. 

"Ah! Daisy! You startled me. It seems to work perfectly. I couldn't see or hear you. But I can still touch you."

"Yeah, that's surprising but good to know. And even more surprising, Rose and I apparently can see each other while we are invisible. Nice skill."

"Yes, very handy." Rose is now also visible again. "And it seems that this skill doesn't consume any mana at all."

"Mmm, really? I guess that makes sense. I remember from stories in...eh...my...dream...that fairies can become invisible. So it might be something natural for us?"

"Yes, that's a possibility. Fairies are not only magical beings, they are actually an expression of pure magic." Meira said.

"Huh? So we are not really physical beings like you Elves? We're just made from magic?" I am at a loss for words. So I'm basically just a bunch of magic with wings?

"Daisy, you have forgotten so many important things. Yes, we fairies are a manifestation of magic. But that doesn't mean we aren't real. We have cities, schools, and a society. We are still very real."

"Okay, I guess I have lots to learn about. A good thing is that I have read many fantasy stories and isekai novels. But Litrpg wasn't that strange either, at least when I finally got the hang of it."

Rose looks at me with that "are you insane?" expression on her face, shaking her head in amazement.
"Huh? I didn't get any of that!"

"Nevermind, Rose. It's just so strange that in my dream, I read stories where people could see their skills like we can. Just call status and you can see your skills. I thought that was just fantasy. I guess it really was reality mixed into a dream, you know? They gave me elements from reality and made it seem like fiction. But for me, fiction then became reality. And what I thought was reality, was actually a dream. Don't you see it?"

Rose opens her mouth in amazement. "WHAT? Can you speak like...normal again please?"

"Nevermind. Just daydreaming I guess." 

Meira then says "well, it actually makes sense what she said. It must have been confusing for you."

"It sure was, Meira. Or rather, still is." I'm happy that at least Meira understood what I had said.

 

 

We discussed the nature of Fairy life for quite some time until we approached a village. Rose and I practiced the invisibility skill many times, just to see what would happen. But nothing special happened.

 

Whenever I had to imagine a village in one of those isekai stories, I always imagined run down wooden buildings with lots of mud where roads should be. Imagine my surprise that reality is most definitely not the same. Cozy looking little cottages, with curtains behind the windows are located near a paved road. Well-maintained gardens give this village a warm, friendly atmosphere.

"Welcome to Frosthaven," Meira said proudly.

"Oh, that's a lovely name for a little town. I know this is a stupid question, but...is there a special reason for that name?" Yep, I can't help it, I just have to know.

"There actually is. Right beyond this town starts a mountainous area. Snow and frost are common here during the season of Frostcrown." Meira explains.

"Daisy, she means the season of Frostcall."  Rose tries to be helpful.

"Yes, I understand. Winter. I get it."

Let's just say that I ignored the strange looks when I said "winter." If this reality is real, and Earth was just a dream....why did I have to forget all these details? Mean, just mean!

 

Meira walks to a large wooden building, not a surprise as most buildings are made from wood in this area. The Adventurer's Guild is a pretty large building, even when you consider that we fairies are tiny compared to other races. This building also offers food and lodging, so I guess most of it will be like a hotel. 

Rose and I decide to become invisible for a while, to check if the place is safe for us.

Meira opens the sturdy looking door and it creaks loudly, then unexpectedly shuts with a bang. Okay, at least people know someone just entered the building. Can't say they didn't know.

"Wooww.....so amazing. A real guild. Just like in the stories!" 

"Stop it already, Daisy! They will think you're crazy."

"They can't hear us now, dumb dumb. We're invisible."

"You don't know that for sure! You are the dumb one!"

"So what if I am?"

'Yeah, so what if you are?"

"Hey! I'm still a Princess!..."

"Yeah a crazy Princess. They do exist, you know?"

"Oh....shut up!"

Meira then whispers "eh....would you two please become visible again?"

Both of us immediately become visible again and say "Sure, Meira" and "Okay!"

The inside isn't as luxurious as I had imagined. It seems people don't wipe their shoes clean when they enter this building. I feel sorry for the janitor already. 

Meira scans the message board on the wall for news. These people don't have anything remotely like the internet, so they have to read the old fashioned way....by reading from message boards.
News about recent demon attacks. People asking for protection. People offering potions. 
At least I'm able to read these messages! No weird symbols, just plain English. At least something turned out to be positive for me.

Mmm....what does that say? "Unexpected snow storm hit...."  I can't read the rest.
I tried to lean forward, attempting to read the rest of the message.....but I messed up again. 

After performing weird acrobatics with my arms, I lost from gravity and started a circling kamikaze dive towards the floor. "Ouch!" I fell on my butt, then tumbled forward and finished the maneuver by hitting my nose. 

I see a giant shoe next to me and look up to see a hand approaching me. Meira wants to protect me, but immediately understands that I'm in no danger.

"Don't worry, little one. Let me help you up." A smiling male Elf grabs me gently and holds me near Rose. 

I jump over Meira's shoulder, next to a still snickering Rose. She still has to rub salt into the wound it seems, "we fairies can fly, didn't you know? Ha ha ha!"

I cross my arms and am not in the mood to reply, instead I rub my sore nose.

The Elf is dressed in classic adventurer's clothing. A rather long sword is fastened on his belt. It seems to have experienced quite the adventures, judging from the wear and tear. 
He looks at me and says "I'm sorry for scaring you, little one. Huh? Oh....you're a Princess even? Mmmm...blessed demonic fairies? How odd. Dark wings, but definitely not as scary. Ah...and another blessed one!" He looks at Rose who for some reason decides that I'm at least useful for hiding behind.

I wave at the Elf and introduce myself while blushing out of embarrassment. "Hi there, and thank you for helping me up. I guess I have eh...miscalculated there for a moment. Anyway, my name is Daisy and yes, we are not your typical kind of fairies. Please drop the "demonic" part if you will."

"Yeah! And add "Moronic" while you're at it!" Rose is laughing so loud that Meira needs to intervene while pointing at Rose.

"Yes, and this little one is called Rose. Not a very good friend today, it seems. But she's usually much nicer."

"Hey!" Rose stops laughing when she realizes Meira meant her. But everyone here knows that we were only engaged in some friendly teasing. No hard feelings. 

At least she's quiet now. 

"Oh ho.....very interesting friends you have there, Meira. Miss Daisy, Miss Rose, I am called Alwin. It is an honor to meet you two....unique...fairies." Alwin bows and makes a polite gesture with his right arm, truly a gentleman.

"Nice to meet you, Alwin." I curtsied.

Rose greets him in the same way, then says "nice to meet you. Say, have you and Meira met before?" 

"Yes, we..." Alwin wants to explain how they have met, but Meira interrupts him. 

"Yes, yes we have." 

I look up at Meira's cheeks, and see that she's definitely blushing. 

Meira quickly changes topics. "It's been a while, Alwin. Daisy is wearing a concealing necklace, but you still seem to be able to see all of her stats. Is that something new you have learned?"

"Yes, Meira....." Meira expects him to reply to her question, but instead he emphasizes something else. "...it has been too long indeed." He smiles while looking her into the eyes, then waits for a few seconds until Meira starts to blush even harder. "But to answer your question, yes, it's a skill I recently managed to level up. It's quite convenient." 

"I'm sure it is. See you around....Alwin." Meira cuts off the conversation and walks away from him, while still blushing and smiling shily. "Okay you two, time to see if they can send a message to your family."

Rose and I still managed to wave goodbye to Alwin, who seemed a little disappointed, but just before we lost sight of him, I managed to see him smile....big time. Something tells me those two will meet again soon.

Meira walks over to the reception area. A beautifully handcrafted wooden desk separates the guests from the employees, but there is currently nobody here to help us. There's a weird golden statue on it and a large open book with many lines, probably a visitor record. No candles on this desk either, they must have magical lights hidden somewhere. Shelves with even more books are placed against the walls.

In the room next door people are cheering, very happy people indeed. I hear the sound of laughter, glasses and someone's playing a flute...giving a real medieval atmosphere to this place. But somehow this helps me relax.

"Daisy? Daaaaaiiiisyy?"  Rose is trying to get my attention.

"What?" I try to pretend that I didn't just daydream.

"Didn't you hear Meira? She asked if you have prepared your message."

"Nope, but I will think of something soon. Don't worry about it." I'm still fixated on the open book. How do they even write? I doubt that they have pens here.

"I don't worry about it at all, just about you." Rose said, snickering. 

"Now stop it, you two, or I will return and leave you two right here."

"Sorry, Meira." Both Rose and I say at the exact same time, resulting in more Fairy giggles. 

"Good, that's better. Now let's get someone's attention."

Meira gently touches the small golden statue, reminding me of an angel, complete with wings and all. No idea what that's supposed to be, but a soft bell sound can be heard further away. Must be their idea of doorbells. Weird, but whatever...it seems to work as we hear someone approaching us. 

A young lady, probably in her early twenties smiles warmly while walking to the reception desk.
She's a cat-kin. A genuine, straight from the fantasy realm imported cat-kin. Black hair and fluffy ears on top of her head and a nice swaying tail confirm everything I need to know.....this place is isekai heaven! She's quite cute, but I can't say that out loud of course. Oh, just realized, can I still call her cute, now that I'm a woman? Whatever, I meant isekai-cute.

"Good morning, Meira, sorry to keep you waiting, we've had a little calamity back there. Cleaning up and all, you know? But anyways...ah...and you brought two fairies. It's nice to meet you, I am Karra. How can I be of service?" She bows a bit, just enough to look cute and polite at the same time. At least this one isn't using typical isekai cuteness like "Gyood myoning, nya."  Some people find that cute, but that's not for me.

"Hi, Karra. This is Rose and eh.....oh there you are. That is Daisy." Meira pointed at us fairies.

I bow to Karra and say "Good morning Karra, nice to meet you too."

"Hi Karra, it's very nice to meet you," Rose bows as well.

"Oh...so polite." The cat-kin said, her tail emphasizing that she's happy.

"Yes, they can be, if they want." Meira ignores our protests and simply continues. "Karra, do you need any help with cleaning?"

"Nope, we're good. But thanks. Tell me, what can I do for you?"

"Well, first a news update for the guild. Our village was attacked by a few dozen Gloombrood demons yesterday. These two brave fairies assisted us in defending the village and healing my people. All in all we were lucky that they only damaged a few homes, nothing worse. The demons I meant."

Karra's ears flopped, then stood up proudly again. 
"Oh, so it's true! I heard some rumors about that this morning, but I guess...there's more?"

"That's right. Would you believe that these two were blessed by our goddess?"

"Whaa??? These two little ones? No way! Finally some good news around here. It has been ages since the goddess even spoke to us. Oh, no disrespect intended." Karra looked up to the ceiling for a moment. "Anyway, that's really good news! I'm sure the guildmaster will be most pleased to hear that!"

"Yes, I can imagine that. Oh, and I almost forgot. They used their skills to bring new life to our forest. It's still in the beginning, but you can see life slowly returning. Even wildlife is returning, it's so wonderful!"

Karra shakes her head in disbelief. But she seems genuinely happy. "Wow, so you two are real fairies then? I thought demonic fairies didn't help other races?"

Okay, now I feel insulted. "Karra, please know that Rose and I don't feel aligned with anything demonic anymore. We're just trying to get home and we're just returning favors here and there. Nothing as spectacular as Meira makes it sound. Right, Rose?"

"Yes, correct. We're enjoying their hospitality, so it's the least we can do."

Karra smiles at our replies. "Oh, I don't know about that. You must have seen the gloomy atmosphere around most villages. That's what happens when there are no fairies in the area. So.....just saying....you guys are more than welcome to stay...and help more if you like."

Meira then says "see, another one calling it gloomy. Anyway, I can't decide about that, but this is actually our reason for being here. They want to send a message home."

The cat-kin looks towards the room where the flute suddenly stopped playing and someone dropped a plate....shattering it. She shakes her head and focuses on us again. "Oh, sure, we can do that. Do you want to send the message to a guild, or have it delivered as well?"

I don't think I can actually pay for that kind of service.... "Eh...I don't know how to pay for this?"

Luckily Meira comes to the rescue. "We Elves trade regularly with the guild, so we have the means to send your message. But just one I'm afraid. So...don't worry about it. Karra, this message has to be delivered to the Northern Asari region."

Karra's face suddenly shows concern, she's all serious suddenly.
"Eh....that's...far away. We technically can send the message...but the guild insists on you answering a few questions first. If the guild accepts, it will cost you 3 copper coins and the message should arrive the next day at the latest."

Meira taps with her finger on the desk, a gesture that she's thinking. "Okay, 3 copper coins it is. But what do you need to ask? It's just a message?"

Karra then explains. "The message is not the issue, but the destination is. Considering you are sending it to a demon-controlled area, the guild requests that those two show their stats in the open. The guild has a strict non-violence policy, and we are expected to screen people first. Would you.....mind?"

Both Rose and I tell her that we don't mind.

Karra smiles again. "Very good!" She seems relieved for some reason. Perhaps she's afraid of fairies? I knew I was when I saw those teeth the first time. But we aren't like that anymore, so that should put her mind at ease, right? "Eh...can you two please remove any blocking crystals?"

"Of course. I'm the only one with such a necklace." I remove it and Meira holds it for me.

"Okay, both of you, please come here and touch the crystal."
Karra takes a rather large, for fairies, crystal ball and puts it in the center of the desk. Is it my imagination or is it glowing? Nope, it's the perfect lamp for my night stand. Eh...the one on Earth I meant.

Rose is the first one to touch it until it's my turn.
When I touch it, I feel some kind of electrical charge flowing through me. It's a bit warm but not painful. I released it when Karra asked me to.

"Okay, thank you very much, that's all. You can put your necklace back on now." Karra takes the crystal ball and puts it safely back in storage.

Meira returns the necklace and Rose helps me put it on again. I must have done something wrong as Rose was fiddling with it for a moment. But we're good now.

Karra seems to be studying our stats. "Oh......I see you are....a Princess?"

"Shhh....yes, but please keep it a secret."

Karra almost whispers. "Sorry, where do you want to send the message?"

I look at Rose, because I can't possibly remember all these weird names. 
She looks at me with a smile and says "the destination is the Palace in Duskhaven, in the country of Betrana."

"Thanks, Rose."

Rose simply winks at me. Finally, she's in a better mood now. Maybe she was just homesick? 

And there we have it again, Karra's ears just flopped again. "Oh dear.....this means I'm not allowed to process your request." She looks apologetic and seems honest about it as well.

Meira doesn't understand "eh....what does that mean? You won't help them?"

Karra's ears return to normal. "Huh? Oh no no no, sorry for that. Only the guildmaster is allowed to send a message to a Palace or a government. You see, it means someone has to hand deliver the message from the local Adventurer's Guild to the Palace. We can't do that without his permission. It has to do with politics and such."

I take a deep breath and let out the worries in a single exhale. "ohhhh....that's a relief."

Karra smiles at that and says "just...just wait a moment, okay? Let me quickly run upstairs and ask him."

Karra sprints away and we wait for a few seconds in silence. Luckily there isn't anyone waiting behind us at the moment. I can't stand that...people start sighing and that alone makes me feel uncomfortable.

Not even a minute has passed when the cat-girl appears before us once more. But this time she's short of breath. "he........is.......ready......for.....you.....now....follow......me...."

"Are you alright?" Meira asks.

Karra nods and simply gestures to follow her, up the stairs.

Meira follows her, carrying Rose and I on her shoulder.

The second floor looks like an office area. Red carpets on the floor, nice wooden panels against the walls. Potted plants, paintings....everything to give it a professional business-like appearance.
We even passed what looked like a meeting room. I always wondered what they would look like, and surprisingly they are as boring as on Earth.

Once we had arrived at our destination, Karra simply pointed at the door, but she seemed to have serious respiratory problems! This is no ordinary lack of exercise, nope....she's almost suffocating.

The guildmaster must have heard us and opened the door for us. "My goddess, Karra! Are you alright?" 

I only glanced at him, because I'm focused on Karra. He seems to be a kitsune, a person resembling a human, except for his fluffy fox ears and ditto fluffy tail. He's in his fifties, I think, and most of his hair is reddish brown with silvery streaks here and there. But his most defining characteristic is a very long white beard, reminding me of a wizard's.

Karra nods and bends over...breathing very heavily. 

I can't stand this any longer and fly to the cat-girl and land on her shoulder. That startled her, but that was not my intention. 

"May the goddess heal you and comfort you." I asked the goddess for help. 

Karra glows for a second or two and then stands up, like nothing has happened at all. 
"Huh? It....it's gone! The pain is gone! I can..... <breathes deeply> ....breathe normally again! Thank you so much!"

I landed next to Rose again, happy to have scored a few bonus points. Less negative stats for Daisy!

Rose smiles and gives me a thumbs up. "Nice one, Daisy!"

I guess I'm blushing now. I don't really want this kind of attention, just happy to help. "Thank your goddess, Karra, not me. I only touched you."

The guildmaster looks at us fairies. "How modest, coming from a fairy. We never were able to heal her, our mana was simply never sufficient for her. But now...well done!"

Karra's tail is swaying happily. "Still....how can I repay you?" She looks at me.

What else can I say? "You already have! My negative stats have decreased. So let's call it even."

She smiled and said "oh....he he he.....in that case....." but she was interrupted by the guildmaster. 

"Karra, would you please excuse us?"

"Oh, of course. Bye for now."

We simply waved her goodbye and followed the guildmaster into his office. He closed the door and took a seat after motioning us to do the same.

We introduce ourselves and his name is guildmaster "Satoru." But we feel it is appropriate to just address him by his title.

I whisper to Rose "wow...a real guildmaster! Ow!" Rose pinched me in my arm. But it did bring my thoughts back to reality.

He says "it is very rare to have Royalty visiting us, your highness. Karra mentioned that you wanted to send a message?"

"Please, do not address me as such. I haven't earned that title yet. I'm just Daisy."

"Oh?? That's uncharacteristically polite for a demonic fairy."

"Yeah, please know that we are not really that, you know, demonic. Actually I hate being called that, I don't feel any inclination to anything demonic at all. So I guess that we aren't your everyday fairies." 

"Yes, I already noticed that." He gives both of us an honest friendly smile. "Anyway. We can send a short message to the guild near your home and they will send someone over to your Palace, is that what you wanted?"

I look at Rose "Rose? Is there actually a guild in our capital?"

"There sure is. They are pretty much everywhere these days. It's quite amazing when you think about it."

It seems that the guildmaster appreciated the compliment. "It sure is. The guild is neutral and tries to maintain friendly relations with every race. But with demons...we never had any success. They are mysterious and a destructive race....anyway...this is not about them. Let's say that the first message is on the house, for helping Karra. Next ones will cost you 3 copper."

"Thank you very much, guildmaster, that is very generous of you." I'm serious. It also means that Meira's people won't have to pay for us.

He then replies "a little kindness may go a long way. Perhaps we can do business one day. Profitable business." Did his eyes just twinkle? I bet they did.

"Ah, if you say it like that. I do hope that we will do business in the future. Profitable business indeed."

The guildmaster grins and I was kind of expecting to see dollar signs in his eyes, but even for a fantasy world, that part was simply wishful thinking on my part.

"I see you understand, Daisy. Now, please tell me what message you would like me to send. And please....try to keep it brief. Sending a message over long distances takes more time if the message is long."

"Okay, understood. Let's see. And Rose, tell me if I forget something." Rose nods. "Good....the message has to be delivered to the King or Queen and the message is as follows: we are safe with friends in the Elven city of...eh...."

"The Elven village of Lana Serin, in the Ennore region." Meira quickly filled in the blanks.

"Thanks, Meira. ...Unsure how to get home. Are you safe too? Will return soon for a reply. Rose and Daisy......    Is that short enough, guildmaster?"

The guildmaster writes down my message and then says "that length is perfect, no problem at all. So let me repeat. We are safe with friends in the Elven village of Lana Serin, in the Ennore region. Unsure how to get home. Are you safe too? Will return soon for a reply. Rose and Daisy."

I nod "Yes! Perfect! When will my parents get the message?" 

Oh, and I saw him writing with a pen-like stick. Apparently no ink was needed. Don't ask me how......ah, it's just an ordinary pencil.

The guildmaster stamps the message and says "There, done. We will send it to the other guild within the hour. When it will arrive at its destination depends on how far away the Palace from the guild is."

"Rose?" I look at Rose, hoping she knows the answer to that.

"It would take a fairy only an hour or so to fly there. The guild is pretty close to the Palace, but they have to go through the merchant's district first. So about an hour I guess."

He then replies "so in a few hours they should get the message then. Any questions?"

None of us raises a question so the guildmaster continues. "Alright, then let me ask something. I promise to send the message right after our meeting is over." 

"Ask whom? Me?" I think I missed something.

The good man has that grin on his face again. We have only met a short while ago, but I recognize that expression all too well....he smells a business opportunity...and money. Question is only....what?

"Rose and Daisy, both of your stats and skills are amazing. Even though they are not developed yet. How about joining one of our teams? Travel the country side and with your amount of mana, you would be perfectly suited to lend a healing hand here and there."

"Excuse me, guildmaster?" He nods and Meira continues. "Daisy, Rose. You don't have to work for coins. You are welcome in our village and you already paid us by healing us and the forest. So...please don't get yourselves in any unnecessary danger. You have still quite the journey ahead of yourselves."

He scratches his fluffy ears and says "true, they don't have to. But one of our adventurer teams had a recent loss, while culling a sounder of wild boars. One of those killed their mage. How about you join them? Even for a single quest? They will be culling some blood bunnies soon. Mmm? How does that sound? And we'll make sure that nothing happens to you. You can simply fly away. We only request healing, that's all. And still share equally in the gold."

Now it's my turn to grin. He's a smart one, isn't he? "Guildmaster. For what's worth, you made a very, very tempting offer. My heart screams to accept, but my brain tells me not to. So I have to agree with Meira. Meira, are we really no burden to your people?"

"No, not at all. You are welcome to stay until you find a way to go home. The Elders wouldn't even mind having you around for a lot longer, considering the amount of healing you did to our forest."

I smile at the guildmaster, and feel a bit sad for him. His offer really was tempting. "There, how can I refuse her offer? Such a kind one?"

His grin is replaced by a polite smile. "Yes, quite so. You would be unwise to decline her offer. But still...joining a party has its merits. You might level up pretty quickly too."

Okay, I have to be diplomatic, but still, time to end this conversation quickly.
"Well...how about this? We'll see what my parents reply and go from there? I mean...if someone happens to be here when we visit the guild...and just happens to need healing, you know what I mean...?"

The grin's back. "Alright then. I'll interpret your reply as definitive maybe and won't ask again."

I nod. "Good, good, a maybe then..." I smiled and couldn't suppress a giggle.
"And we'll be visiting the guild every day or so, to check for messages. So please don't feel obligated to send someone to Meira's village."

He nods "that is very much appreciated, your highness."  His fluffy ears are standing upright in attention, almost telling me that they are expecting a reply.

I simply look at him and tilt my head....squinting my eyes as if I'm miffed by the reply, but he can see that I'm actually smiling.

And then "ho ho ho ho! Oh how I wish you could work for us. For a fairy you're quite something. Enough fun for today, now let me show you out."

I shake my head with a smile and mumble, inaudibly, "looks just like Santa Claus."

 

The guildmaster guided us out of the building and we waved at Karra once more. She's pretty happy, no doubt about it. 

 

While we are on our way back to the Elven village, I tell Meira that Rose and I will be flying to the guild ourselves from now on. No need to guide us anymore. She didn't mind, but still appreciated not having to walk all the way here every day. 

 

 

 

[ A few hours later, in the Royal Palace back home ]

The King has ordered his staff to visit the local guilds and spread the word that his daughter and friend are missing. It is after spending so much time listening to advice and following up leads that he finally feels that he has gained the right to sleep again. He hasn't slept much since her disappearance. Nor has his wife.

He and his wife take turns sleeping, so that at least one of them is awake to coordinate the continuing investigation.

Violet is trying to focus on her studies, but her tutor realizes that it is a lost cause. She can't focus, knowing her sister may be in serious trouble, but not being able to help her.

 

The Queen is currently sitting on Daisy's bed, looking outside while lost in thought. On her lap is Daisy's favorite plushie, something that reminds her of her beloved Daisy.

Then...suddenly...

Fleur, her personal maid, knocks on the door even though it is already opened.  
"Excuse me, my Queen." 

The Queen returned her gloomy gaze outside. "Yes, Fleur? Is it lunch time already?" Her reply was saturated with depression. 

"No, a messenger from the guild has arrived and delivered a letter. Do you wish to read it here?" Fleur has no idea what this is about, she can only hope, just like the Queen.

"Yes, I might as well." 

Fleur walks over to her and hands over a sealed envelope. She then curtsied, but the Queen didn't even notice, she simply stared at the envelope. It reads "To the Royal Palace, for the attention of their majesties only."

She then wanted to thank Fleur, but she had already left. She breaks the red wax seal and retrieves the folded letter contained in it.

"Sent from: Adventurer's Guild in Frosthaven.
Message:  We are safe with friends in the Elven village of Lana Serin, in the Ennore region. Unsure how to get home. Are you safe too? Will return soon for a reply. Rose and Daisy.
Comment: thank you for using the Guild's express message service."


She re-reads the message.....yes, it really says they're okay!

The Queen whispers first.  "Herb....Herb?"  Then speaks in a normal voice "Herb! Herb!" 
Then she shouts "HERB! HERB VIOLET HERB!"

Within mere seconds, the King is standing next to his wife. He's not fully awake yet, considering he is standing in nothing but his underwear, ready to defend his wife against an intruder.
"What? Blossom? What the heck is wrong?" He looks around, but is at a loss why she even called him. 

She simply stares at him, smiling, then hands over the letter. 

At this point Violet rushes in, first cautiously, then running to her parents.
"Mother, father, what happened?"

The King then shouts "YES! She's safe! Yihaaa!!! They're safe, Violet! Rose and Daisy are fine!"
He pulls them in a group hug.

"Where did they find her?" Violet asks.

"Find her? No no no, SHE sent US a message. You have no idea where she ended up!"

"Tell me father! Where!" 

The Queen starts crying, releasing the emotions she has kept inside, no longer able to maintain her image as Queen. She's a mother in the first place. 

"They are in the Ennore region, in a place called Frosthaven."

"What? How did they end up there? That's insanely far away!" Violet can't believe it.

"I know! But it doesn't matter! They're safe! Fleur! Fleeeeur!!" 

Fleur rushes in and bows to him. "Yes, your majesty?"

"Send a message to our guild, ask them...."

And so the Royal Family found hope again, trying to get a message back to them as soon as possible.

17