30. The Oni Way.
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paul spat, tasting blood in his mouth, his head ringing. He didn’t think Tatsuo would kick a man while he was down, so he took a second to catch his breath, his nose full of the dank mine dirt.

See, he thought to himself ruefully, this is why words are your weapons. Because actual weapons fucking hurt! Inwardly Paul sighed, of course the Oni believed in trial by combat… or whatever it was they were doing here that involved Tatsuo beating the crap out of him.

The problem was, the young Oni was twenty years younger, nearly eight inches taller and four times stronger than him… and he’d taken Paul’s advice to heart last time and wasn’t falling for any of Paul’s tricks this time.

The only somewhat dubious advantage Paul had was that it was strictly unarmed combat, and that Tatsuo wasn’t actually trying to kill him, just humiliate him in front of his entire clan.

At least, Paul didn’t think Tatsuo was trying to kill him!

Come to think of it… Paul thought, he might not be too put out if I ‘accidentally’ died, and he’s enough of a fool to think he might get away with that. Oh bugger!

Paul sighed. He was going to have to defeat Tatsuo, and quickly. Which was very much a case of easier said than done, because that was what he’d been trying to do for the past ten minutes, and getting his ass kicked for his efforts.

Paul levered himself off the floor, and eyeing Tatsuo, made a T shaped gesture with his hands.

“Time out, please.”

Tatsuo laughed, and nodded.

“It’s not customary, but since you’re only human, five minutes.”

Paul staggered over to a table and collapsed on the chair there. Someone handed him a mug full of water, which he drank half of, and dumped the other half over his head, shocking his addled wits into a semblance of action. He studied Tatsuo where he stood easily, talking and laughing quietly with some of his peers, or at least, other young Oni his age.

He needed a plan… a way out. Tatsuo was playing with him, confident of his victory, and frankly, Paul wasn’t sure if wasn’t right. Paul was sure he could probably beat him with a staff or maybe a sword, but in unarmed combat Tatsuo’s sheer speed, size and strength gave him enough of an advantage that he could overcome Paul’s greater breadth of experience. It was bloody hard to shoulder roll or flip someone when they could just pick you up... with one hand!

He needed a plan, Paul thought, some way to neutralise the Oni’s advantage or turn it against him. He also needed to get serious about this. Because he wasn’t sure if Tatsuo wouldn’t kill him if he thought he could make it look like an accident. He needed to go all out to beat the snot out of the young Oni.

Which was a bit of problem because he rather liked the young punk, and he very definitely needed him alive.

Paul leaned back, well aware that five minutes were nearly up… and spotted a sheet of paper and pencil on the table nearby. For a moment he stared at it, the germ of an idea forming, and then he grabbed the paper and pencil and quickly started writing.

“Time’s up Paul-san!”

“One minute, just let me finish writing this, it’s important.”

“Alright, out of respect for you.”

Paul finished scribbling and folded the paper into four, before handing it to the older Oni that Tatsuo had introduced as Master Aio. Paul bowed.

“Could you hold onto that for me until I say otherwise Master Aio?”

“I will young man… although I hope it doesn’t prove to be your final words.”

“Me too!”

Tatsuo bounced forward, ready to fight, as Paul circled him warily. Paul tried a couple of faints, but Tatsuo clearly wasn’t falling for it. Evidently he’d learnt from their last encounter.

Paul nodded inwardly to himself… it wasn’t much but he would use that.

He fainted to Tatsuo’s right, and Tatsuo immediately guarded his left hand side, expecting the attack to come that way. Paul hooked his foot around a nearby chair, and flicked it towards the right-hand side of the tall Oni. As it entangled his legs, sending Tatsuo stumbling, Paul kicked hard at Tatsuo’s knee.

Tatsuo yelled hoarsely as his knee folded sideways. He lashed out blindly, but Paul had already danced away, not pressing his advantage. Tatsuo slowly stood up, favouring his injured leg.

“I’ve gone easy on you until now old man… but not any more.”

“Awww, did the big bad Oni get a boo-boo? You need someone to make it better, Tatsuo-kun?”

Paul’s voice was deliberately mocking, using baby language to belittle him. Tatsuo growled and charged at him, moving faster than any human could despite limping.

But Paul was ready. At the last split second he dropped into a crouch below Tatsuo’s grasping arms and spun, kicking out again, connecting with Tatsuo’s already injured knee.

The Oni’s howl of pain almost drowned out the crunching impact, and he went sprawling in the dirt as Paul, using the force of his kick, rolled forward out of the way.

Paul bounced to his feet, grinning for the first time.Before Tatsuo could recover, he leaped, bringing his heel down hard on the small of the Oni’s back, causing him to howl in pain again.

Paul bounced away again, warily watching Tatsuo as the Oni dragged himself upright, using a chair to lean on. That last blow would’ve crippled a human, Paul thought to himself, and all it’s done is stun the nerves a bit, numbing his legs, he’ll start to recover in a minute or two.

Paul shook his head and sighed.

“Time out! Tatsuo, take a minute.”

“I don’t need your pity human!”

“Not what I was about to say. Master Aio, could you read the note I gave you?”

“Now Paul-san? Are you sure?”

“Yes please. Aloud so everyone can hear.”

“Very well. The note says… ‘In the next ten minutes I, Paul Holmes, will strike Tatsuo twice upon the right knee, disabling it, angering him and making him careless. This will allow me to strike once upon the base of his spine, causing a temporary paralysis... Oh!”

Tatsuo shouted from where he’d collapsed in chair.

“Impossible! It’s a trick!”

“You saw me give the note to Master Aio, Tatsuo. There’s no way I could switch them, unless you think Aio is lying?”

“Then how can you predict the future?!”

“The same way one guesses how an opponent will move on the Shogi board. I out-witted you. Master Aio, would you please read the rest of the note.”

“Yes, yes of course… ahem.. I have permitted Tatsuo to appear to gain the advantage prior to this, in order for him to save face, but I expect that he will become enraged as the fight continues and to make a concerted effort to either kill or seriously injure me. In order to prevent this, I am writing this note, because if the fight continues after this is read out, I will need to take certain actions to defend myself. Actions that run the risk of crippling or possibly even killing Tatsuo.”

There was silence in the Great Hall as Master Aio refolded the note, and looking at Tatsuo spoke.

“Is this accusation true Tatsuo? Were you considering trying to kill or seriously injure...”

“NO! I.. I...” Tatsuo wilted under Aio’s level gaze, and muttered. “Yes master… I did think that in the heat of the moment.”

“Louder Tatsuo.”

“Alright! Yes, yes I did think that! But..but.. that..”

Aio gestured with his hand, like a blade, cutting off whatever else Tatsuo was about to say. Tatsuo fell silent, his cheeks stained with red as he hung his head. Master Aio turned slightly, and bowed at Paul.

“Paul-san… thank you. This has been most educational, for all of us.”

Aio looked pointedly back at Tatsuo, and then swept his gaze around the rest of the assembled Oni.

“On behalf of my clan, and my young clan leader, I thank you for sparing his life, and we will consider the matter of your dispute settled in your favour. Is there anything you wish to ask of us in recompense?”

Paul sighed.

“Well, there was a slight matter I wanted to bring up earlier...”

Master Aio nodded.

“Speak then… and it will be granted.”

Paul grinned, not missing the way Aio had said that.

“Ok then. Shoko-san has requested that Jiao goes to elementary school with her.”

Tatsuo tried to stand up, and failed, catching himself before he fell, as he shouted.

“NEVER! I will not permit you to put her life at risk!”

Paul sighed, he somehow thought that would be his response.

“And you still think I’d risk Shoko’s life? That Inari would permit it if there was any risk at all?!”

“Inari is blind to your..”

Aio rapped Tatsuo’s ankle with his cane, interrupting him.

“I advise silence while you consider your next words VERY carefully Tatsuo… lest you insult both Paul-san and Inari together.”

Tatsuo shut his mouth with a snap, glaring at Master Aio, who having spoken turned to Paul.

“My apologies Paul-san, the impetuousness of youth and a brotherly love for his sister caused our young leader to speak rashly.”

“Understandable. However, please allow me to address his concerns. To the best of my knowledge there is no risk. Both girls will be provided with the means to pass as human. I can fabricate whatever papers are necessary, well enough to pass even the most stringent inspection. I used to forge passports to get refugees out of various hell holes, and I doubt a school board is going to be harder to fool than Russian border guards eyeing up a truck load of Ukrainian immigrants.”

“I believe you, but why do this?”

“Two reasons really. Firstly, Shoko asked… she’s lonely up here on this mountain by herself. Jiao and Aimi-chan help alleviate that, but neither can be here all the time and she yearns for a normal life, one more like that which human children have. Tangential to that, from what I gather Jiao also wishes to allowed to play in the sun with others like her.”

“Then they can play here, where it’s safe!”

Tatsuo sullenly growled.

Paul shook his head.

“Insufficient, and wrong. However much you hide it, it’s obvious that Jiao isn’t like other Oni children. She’s smaller than her peers, she’s weaker and frailer.”

“All reasons why she shouldn’t be a part of your mad idea!”

“Wrong, as I said. She’s smaller, weaker… making her the same size as a human child her age, and only twice as strong, not three of four times. In other words, humans are nearer to being her equals!”

Tatsuo opened his mouth, then closed it, evidently thinking that over. Master Aio prompted Paul to continue.

“You said there were two reasons?”

“Yes. Ok, now that the problem of the magic fading is solved, the goal is to establish a sanctuary for Others, a safe place for them to live in peace. However, we can’t rely on secrecy being the key to safety.”

“Why not? It’s worked before.”

Paul smiled inwardly, Tatsuo was obviously interested despite himself.

“Has it though? You yourself said the humans always find you. Hiding doesn’t work because you can’t keep these things a secret forever. Eventually word leaks out and people learn that you exist, and once they know that they won’t stop looking until they find you.”

A murmuring whisper of agreement arose from the other assembled Oni. Even Tatsuo nodded, acknowledging the truth of Paul’s words.

“Ok… so.. since clearly doing the same thing as before isn’t working, one has to try something new. Even you have to admit you can’t fight all the humans, so the only other option is to make peace. And before you ask how, the answer is to deal with the root cause. Fear.”

Tatsuo cocked his head, leaning forward and frowning.

“And just how do you plan on over coming centuries of fear?”

“Through familiarity. Humans are very adaptable, given time. And not much of it either. They’ll get used to anything after awhile. You see, the biggest reason they fear Others is because they are unknown. Let’s face it, you lot are the boogymen, the monsters in the dark… the sort of thing they’ve been telling scary stories about for untold generations. How long do you think that fear will last, however, if you step forward into the light and they get a good look at what you’re actually like, and realise that really, you are not so very different?”

Tatsuo snorted disbelievingly.

“You are an optimist Paul-san, humans still fear and hate each other because of such tiny petty differences as skin colour or religion! What makes you think they’ll accept us monsters as being the same as them?”

Paul grinned.

“First time in a long, long while someone has called me an optimist… and to answer your question... Have you read any mangas or watched any anime? Because if you haven’t, you’d better do so… You see, we’re going to launch a rebranding advertising campaign for Others that’ll charm the humans little cotton socks off!”

Tatsuo snorted, amused at the idea and the mental image.

“Alright, perhaps that might work… but I still do not see why Jiao needs to go to school?”

“Because it’s a two way street, as well as human society adapting to the Others, you need to learn to adapt to them. In other words, you need to learn how not to spook the mundanes badly enough that they stampede and crush you.”

“I’ll concede that’s probably a good idea… but..”

“I’m getting to that point! Ok, Elementary school is probably the safest place on earth. Jiao, although she’s small and fragile for an Oni, could beat the living tar out of most of her classmates. So what better place for her to learn to be gentle around them and not spook the humans? Also, before you ask why Jiao in particular? That’s because although they’ll be in disguise, slip-ups will happen, and Jiao is the only one among all of you able to pass as human without magic, with a bit of make-up. Besides, she’ll be your clan leader someday, it’s only right she leads the way.”

“And why not just Shoko then?”

“Are you kidding? You have met her, right?! Can you imagine that hyper-kinetic ball of fluff let loose alone in a class-room of almost equally hyper human kids…. I wouldn’t give it a day before she’s showing off her magic or her ears and tail to some kid or other. No. Shoko needs someone there to steady her, and Jiao is perfect for that too. However, Shoko is smart, and she’s observant. She picks up on things as good as anyone I’ve met, and despite appearances and her behaviour, she’s eighty years old. She’s had experience with humans before now. So, as long as she doesn’t get too giddy, she’s perfect for the job. Together, they make an ideal cultural recon team, in effect.”

Tatsuo nodded slowly…

“You have thought this through Paul-sama… I will give you that. And you have shown that you are adept at planning. I will talk to my clan, Jiao is as much their future leader as she is my sister, and we will put it to a vote.”

Paul forbore from mentioning that actually, Tatsuo had already lost that right. The young Oni needed to save face after all, and he was pretty sure of the outcome of any vote.

“That’s all I want, for her to be given a fair chance. If you feel that the risk, even as minimal as it is, is too much to chance your future leader on, then I would urge you to consider other candidates. Some other young Oni might not be as good a fit, but we can make it work I think. I hope anyway.”

Tatsuo nodded.

“I will ask for volunteers if that’s the case… although I’m not sure any of us would want to offer their child. And as you say, it is her right to go first. A leader should lead.”

Paul eyed Tatsuo, and sighed.

“You know… if you were a foot and half shorter, we could just about pass you off as an upper classman.”

Tatsuo snorted and shook his head.

“What, and have all those idiotic human schoolgirls sighing over me? No thank you.”

Paul had to bite his tongue to keep from laughing. Once he could trust his voice he added.

“Well, it would be one way to keep an eye on Jiao. The elementary school is on the same grounds as the high school. And while your height might present a challenge, Inari is very good at disguise spells, just ask Yuko…”

The look Tatsuo gave him was distinctly unfriendly, and rather suspicious.

“We will put the matter to a vote, and inform you of the result later. Someone will accompany you to the surface Paul-san.”

Master Aio spoke up.

“I will undertake that task, young master. These old bones of mine would welcome warming in the sunlight I think.”

Tatsuo frowned at Master Aio, but nodded and then turned away, dismissing them both without saying it.

Once they were away from the other Oni, Paul leaned against a wall, sagging, holding his side.

“Are you well Paul-san?”

“Yeah… about as well as can be expected for having gone toe-to-toe with an Oni. I think I’ve got a busted rib, or a badly bruised one anyway and I’m pretty sure I am really going to need a long hot soak very soon, and maybe a truck load of pain killers.”

“Ah, as I thought. I think the human phrase is; but you should see the other guy, yes?”

Paul snorted a brief, pained, bark of laughter.

“Yeah, something like that, unless you’re about to tell me Tatsuo wasn’t as badly injured as he made out.”

“Sadly, no. Tatsuo has as many fine qualities as one would want in warrior...”

“..but subtly isn’t one of them. I got that.”

“I was going to say the fine art of subterfuge, but you are not wrong either.”

Paul shook his head, and slowly levered himself back upright.

“Yeah, it’s not hard to see why he’s only Regent, and Jiao is the leader-to-be. Now that is one young girl who knows how to play people like her shamisen.”

“Indeed… she is more like her father than either of them, but she has her mother’s grace too.”

“Yeahhh, now if we could just add ten years growth and experience to her overnight...”

“Yes, alas, I fear neither of them will be up to the task ahead.”

“Not alone, no… but with each other, and help?”

Master Aio nodded slowly.

“Ah, yes… that would be preferable. I think young Tatsuo would profit from your guidance Paul-san, if he ever stops fighting you.”

“Maybe, I’ll give him his head a bit longer and if he doesn’t stop, I’ll ask Jiao to have words with him.”

Aio chuckled.

“I see you understand how it works with them already.”

“Bit hard to miss. That girl is leader in all but name already.”

Aio nodded.

“The clan adore her, despite her frailties or possibly even because of them, since she tries so hard, protests so little, and asks for no concessions to be made for her.”

Paul nodded.

“Yeah, that fits with my observations. Still, it would do her good to be somewhere where she is normal and people don’t treat her like she’s made of spun glass, or try to act as if they’re not.”

Aio looked at Paul sharply, then stroked his short grey wispy goatee beard.

“I admit, I had not considered it in that light. But you are indeed right I think.”

As they neared the entrance to the mine, Paul sighed.

“So Master Aio… was there anything else you wanted to sound me out about? Since I doubt you offered to accompany me just to see some daylight.”

Aio chuckled.

“I have missed someone to match wits with, and you show promise young man… but yes, there was something else. Your fight with Tatsuo, and the note you gave me. Would you really have gone that far?”

Paul chuckled.

“Master Aio, I was about ready to drop. If we’d continued then about the best I could have done is fart in his general direction out of defiance.”

Aio stared at him in surprise… then began to chuckle.

“Paul-san, you are a very dangerous man indeed. Because you win without fighting and make your enemies defeat themselves! You’ll do young man, you’ll do indeed.”

1