41. Early morning conversations
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dawn was stealing over the horizon, setting the mountain tops afire as the golden sunlight struck autumn foliage. Tatsuo tried to move silently as possible through the temple complex. His objective was the kitchen block; he was hoping to raid for supplies without anyone the wiser.

He’d just put a single bare foot on the step up, when a voice spoke out of the shadows.

“Morning Tatsuo.”

The tall Oni did his best not to jump and yell, although he did produce a strangled sort of startled squawk.

“Hoi, Paul-san… what are you doing up so early?”

Paul was seated in a corner, his long fingers wrapped around a gently steaming mug of coffee...

“Couldn’t sleep… and you?”

“Ah, the same… and I was hungry.”

“Want me to cook?”

Tatsuo struggled with himself, on the one hand being around Paul-san would be a risk, but on the other... His hunger ambushed his chain of thought as his stomach growled. Paul laughed quietly.

“Think that answers my question. Come on in, I was thinking of cooking myself something anyway.”

“Thank you… umm...”

“I’ll make you up a tray to take back to your date.”

Tatsuo tripped on the steps in shock, almost falling as he grabbed at the door frame.

“H..how did you..”

“Tatsuo, a word of advice. Next time you bring a girl back, don’t leave articles of her clothing on the path outside the guest house… at least I assume they belong to your date, because they looked a bit small to fit you.”

Tatsuo’s face went brick red in embarrassment, as he covered his eyes with his hand.

“Just… kill me now, please.”

“Oh stop being so dramatic. So you got laid. Good for you, but honestly, no-one minds.”

Tatsuo stared at Paul for moment, then shook his head.

“Paul-san. I admire you, really I do. But sometimes you forget not everyone thinks like you. An Oni, with a human woman… that can only end in disaster.”

Paul sighed as he started getting the ingredients for mitso soup and flapjacks out of the fridge.

“Tatsuo, think about it for a few moments. Apart from me, you and whatever her name is... who else knows? No-one. I picked up behind you. Yes I’ve got questions, but I trust you enough that I don’t need to ask if the sex was consensual. Actually, I’m guessing she had to kick your legs out from under you and then pin you down.”

Tatsuo could feel his ears burning. He nodded, not trusting his voice. Paul smiled a sort of twisted smile.

“You’re an honourable guy Tatsuo, maybe more than is good for you. I don’t know what went down, I don’t need to know. But as long as it’s mutual and healthy, I’ll cover for you. But yes, I’m not so stupid as to think there won’t be objections. Your clan isn’t going to take this well I’d guess, if they find out.”

Tatsuo sat down, feeling a bit faint, and slowly shook his head.

“Of all the things an Oni can do… taking a human woman is one of the worst. My clan will tear me to shreds Paul-san… and rightly so. I’ve brought destruction down upon us.”

“You’re being dramatic again. While that may have been historically true, times have changed. I’m betting her family are going to be really pissed but they can’t legally stop you seeing her. They might try, but it won’t be legal; however, if she’s under eighteen, they may refuse consent if you wanted to marry.”

“M..m..marry?”

Paul gave Tatsuo a hard look, and then sighed.

“You’re an idiot if you think she hasn’t already thought of it. Also, I’m guessing you two love birds didn’t use any kind of protection...”

Tatsuo looked baffled.

“Protection? Like.. armour?”

Paul gave Tatsuo a long, measuring look, and then sighed.

“Oh good grief.. you’re not joking. NO, not armour. I meant contraceptive protection. Condoms, to be blunt, to stop you from getting her pregnant...er... that’s a thought. Oni can fertilise human women, can’t they?”

Tatsuo nodded, blushing so hard that, had it been possible, his horns would’ve turned red as well.

“Okayyy... so even if she isn’t already, although that would make you officially in enough trouble that being an Oni actually probably wouldn’t make any difference... even so, even if she isn’t pregnant, she has been out all night with her family not knowing where she is and at her age, it’s probable this is her first time. Which by the way also means it’s likely she’s not on any contraceptive pill either, and yes, virgins can ‘catch’ first time...”

“Enough Paul-san! Please.. I understand. I will take responsibility and do the honourable thing if she is with child.”

“No.. you’ll do the smart thing, and decide now what you want. I’m saying she may be pregnant, and she may choose to keep the child if she is...”

“Keep the child? You mean, not give it up for adoption?”

Paul sighed, and put down the spatula he was turning the flapjacks with.

“Ok… I know you Oni haven’t had any formal education, but seriously?! You’ve never heard of condoms, contraceptive pills or abortions?”

“Um… no. We… there are so few of us are born that… and there were so few adults at first.”

“Ok. I am going to have to talk to Ms Mitashi and somehow arrange sex ed lessons for your clan… or you know, you could try asking... er Tatsuo, what is her name?”

“Katsu Yamato. She’s in second year of senior school, grade 11.”

“What’s that in terms of age for the English guy please.”

“Oh, um, seventeen. She... said something about learning about... ‘it’ … in school. Classes I mean.”

Paul nodded.

“Well, not a total disaster than. At least one of you knows what they’re doing. But unless you want your lover explaining to the rest of your clan how it works, possibly using you as an example....”

Tatsuo’s eyes widened at that thought and he shook his head violently.

“Ok then… I think the best bet would be to get Inari to update what she knows, and then she can teach the rest of you. She is the Goddess of fertility, I’m assuming your clan would have no problems with that?”

Tatsuo chuckled.

“Other than embarrassment, no. At least you have no problem with your lover...”

Paul held up a hand.

“Inari is not my lover.”

“She... she’s not?!

“No… Kiko is Inari’s lover. Me, I’m her friend, her confidant, and her Herald. And before you say anything else. I’m ok with that.. Inari isn’t at times, but it’s a work in progress. Because, in my heart, I am still happily married.”

Tatsuo stared at Paul for a moment, then stood and inclined his head.

“Paul-sama. I apologise for having ever doubted your resolve. You are indeed a man whose honour is beyond reproach.”

“Oh sit down. I’m not a samurai or a shogun. Although, by the way, that look suits you. You cut a very dashing figure yesterday.”

Tatsuo smiled shyly.

“Katsu said that too. She said it made her sweat.”

“Sweat, or wet?”

“Um.. might have been wet… why?”

“Never mind Tatsuo. Not important. We are going to have to come up with an explanation for her parents though...”

Tatsuo waited to see what tale Paul-san could spin to explain what happened. Silence descended on the kitchen for awhile... until Tatsuo could wait no longer.

“Hoi, Paul-san.”

“Yeah... I’ve got nothing. Sorry.”

“Ehhh?! What?!”

“I literally can’t think of asingle damn thing that stands even the faintest chance of working. Any possible, reasonable, explanation for Katsu being gone all night, falls apart as soon as anyone investigates it. I mean, the most reasonable explanation is if she was suspected of, or witness to, some crime and detained… but then there’s police reports and Kami has like three police officers so I’d have to somehow convince them to go along with a false report… and I’m not sure but I think Juvenile law would require them to call her parents anyway. And that’s the explanation that’s most likely to work... You see my problem.”

Tatsuo blinked, and slowly nodded.

“Then… what do I do?”

“When in doubt, tell the truth. It cuts down on the amount of lies you have to remember.”

“I can’t do that!!”

“Depends on how much truth. You two did talk at points, right?”

“Yes, so?”

“So tell them you were talking, all night, and lost track of the time. The pair of you will be in trouble, but not so much… especially if you can play up the romantic side of it.”

“And if they ask me if we… er..”

“Ok, then you lie. Or act offended at the mere suggestion you’d do anything so dishonourable! Without saying yes or no.”

Tatsuo grinned slightly.

“Sneaky! You had me worried Paul-sama, because if the situation is so dire even you can’t think of a way to talk your way out of it… But you proved my faith in you was right!”

“Well yes, I usually can… but I don’t like relying on it. That’s why I always have an escape route planned too.”

“Because there’s been times you needed it, yes?”

“Yeah, you of all people can understand that, Tatsuo.”

“I, or any of my clan.”

“Right. You know that while you can bluff her parents maybe, that’s not going to work with anyone you know. Like your clan.”

“Oh. I am so dead. Hoi, Paul-san… can I hide out in Inari’s shrine maybe?”

Paul raised an eyebrow, Tatsuo was no coward, and he didn’t seem to be exaggerating.

“They’d literally kill you for this?”

“Yes. Someone, probably a lot of them, would call me unfit to be leader. They’re already unhappy with my leadership, and think I am weak.”

“Because I beat you.”

“Because you beat me, and the way you beat me too. They think I am too young, too rash and impulsive. That my judgement is unsound.. This would end me, Paul-san. I would have to fight them, challenge after challenge, and we do not have enough warriors to ensure the clan’s safety as it is. The clan would not survive such rivalry, so I would have to flee. For the good of all.”

Paul sighed.

“Yeah… I can see that.”

Paul paused, scrubbing his scalp with his fingers in an effort to wake his brain up.

Gah! … Ok, if I’m to come up with something, I need more information to work with. Is Katsu awake?”

Tatsuo nodded slowly, as Paul thoughtfully continued.

“The dryer’s nearly done so I might as well go with you when you bring her breakfast and her clothing, because I really need to talk to her as well. I mean, I’m sure you two did talk, but… well, can you even tell me what her parents do for a living?”

Tatsuo shook his head.

“I have no idea about her parents, other than she has them. I think they’re wealthy. Katsu said her parents wealth is another reason she has no friends, but I don’t know how or why they are. I... don’t know that much about human society actually, so I don’t even know what wealthy is by their standards.”

“Yeahh… one thing’s for sure, we were never going to be able to get you into school as a transfer student, that’s for certain. Not unless they were willing to overlook your lack of academic grades due to your athletic prowess...”

Tatsuo shook his head.

“I don’t think it works like that. Does it?”

“True, this isn’t America. Hmm…but that does give me half an idea. I need to talk to Katsu first, but I think maybe I might have an inkling of how to convince your clan to support you maybe, and make you more acceptable to Katsu’s parents.”

A short while later Paul sat on one of the benches surrounding the zen garden outside the guesthouse Tatsuo had appropriated for the night, waiting for Katsu to get dressed. He looked up at the creak of the door and blinked at the sight of the pair of them. Katsu wasn’t much shorter than Tatsuo, even without his human disguise. They came over and sat next to each other on the semi-circle of stone benches; leaning against each other, Katsu’s glossy, blue/black hair stark against Tatsuo’s silver. They were facing Paul, across the ‘ocean’ of gravel and rocks.

“Morning Katsu.”

Katsu inclined her head slightly.

“Good morning Paul-san, Tatsuo tells me I may trust you.”

“You may, whether you will remains to be seen.”

Katsu’s lips twitched upwards in a sketch of a smile.

“Please do not take it personally if I don’t. There are very few that I trust.”

“Let me guess, other than your family, that number is somewhere around oh.. one, yes?”

Katsu’s gaze slid slightly sideways towards Tatsuo as she nodded. Paul smiled.

“Ok, I’m going to ask you a few questions Katsu and then hopefully come up with a way out of this predicament.”

“There is no predicament. I will bear my shame, tell my parents that I am moving out, and live with Tatsuo.”

“And get yourself and Tatsuo killed or driven out by his own clan in the first day.”

Katsu looked sharply at Tatsuo, who nodded.

“Oh. I did not know they would be so.. unwelcoming.”

“You can ask Tatsuo for details later, but the Oni have been persecuted and hunted down like animals by humans for centuries. They would not welcome you with open arms.”

“Then we will leave, and go live somewhere else alone together.”

“And if you’re pregnant, then what? Tatsuo might be able to hide his nature, but a baby wouldn’t.”

“Oh. Then what do you suggest?”

“That’s why I need to ask some questions, so I can work out what to suggest.”

Katsu regarded Paul levelly for a few moments, then nodded, once, firmly.

“Ask.”

Paul studied her for a few seconds.

“Ok, what do your parents do for a living?”

“My mother stays at home. My father owns several businesses; starting with a boat yard, building and repairing boats, which was started by my grandfather. He also owns the company that runs the Sakaiminato-Okinoshima ferries, and has a few other smaller investments he has made over the years in other local businesses throughout the Prefecture.”

“The local businesses, he owns them fully, or jointly?”

“Father loaned money in return for a minority ownership to a number of people, either to start or expand their business. He believes it is his duty to help others. He leaves the running of them up to their majority owners,.”

“Ok, are you a single child?”

“Yes.”

“Do your parents expect you to act more feminine or are they happy to let you be yourself?”

Kasu thought for a moment before replying.

“I would say... they tolerate my behaviour, and I try not to disappoint them when playing the role of the dutiful daughter as is expected of me.”

“Does your father talk about you inheriting the family business, or does he expect you to find a husband and pass it on to him?”

Katsu blinked.

“I… think the former.. but we have not talked of it.”

“Elaborate please.”

“My father insists that I master business principles and he often requires me to attended meetings. I.. think he is making sure I know how to run a business.”

“I see… ok. How serious are you about kendo?”

“Very. I... I enjoy it greatly. I find that it’s code and teachings suit me.”

“And your father approves of it?”

“Very much so. He is proud of my accomplishments; he often mentions it when I win to his friends and business acquaintances. He has pictures of my triumphs in his office.”

“Hmm, have you had the opportunity to witness Tatsuo’s ability with a sword, and how do you rate him?”

“He’s good, better than I am. He.. he defeated me easily, and not just because he is stronger and faster. He is more skilled too.”

“Ok Katsu, last question. Do you have your own money? Finances you could tap?”

“Yes. I have a college fund, and savings. Enough to buy my own house should I wish.”

“Good.. ok. Thank you, let me think a minute.”

Paul sat, staring at the rocks in the sea of gravel… each of the boulders being chosen to represent the islands of Japan. He frowned at the arrangement, wondering why someone had once decided that was what to put in every such garden, in every temple. Paul shook his head, and took a deep breath.

“Alright then… I think I have a plan now. You are going to go to your father Katsu, and confess. You spent all night with a man, just talking. However, you think you may be falling in love. Tatsuo saw you in the crowd with your sword, and recognised you. You got talking, sparred a little and he defeated you, which explains the cuts and bruises, and afterwards you spent all night sitting up, talking, discussing your ambitions, your plans for the future, what you like and so on… I’d recommend you actually do that if you haven’t already by the way.”

Katsu glanced to one side, at Tatsuo, and they shared a slight smile. Paul raised an eyebrow.

“Ok… so the cover story is as follows. Tatsuo is from the north, eldest son of a large, somewhat traditional, but rather poor, family. He is looking to open his own kendo school, whatever the proper term for that is, but he has no sense of business. You’ll tell your father you are not going to confess your love to him right away; you’re not sure how he feels about you and you are not certain of yourself. You’ll forbid your father from asking Tatsuo since you want to handle it yourself. However, you are going to state that you intend to invest in his business, using your college fund, rather than asking your father for money. He’ll offer at that point I think, he’ll probably even insist; let him win that argument. You’ll tell your father you are going to work with Tatsuo to get the business side of his school running. After a month or two you can tell your parents you’re in definitely love… make it clear that you wooed him.”

Paul paused a moment studying the grave faced pair.

“You think you can hide your feelings for each other that long?”

Both Tatsuo and Katsu nodded, together. Paul bit down on a smile… he doubted they could for that long, but slowly letting them slip out worked better, especially if it looked like they were trying to hide them.

“Ok then, any questions?”

Katsu nodded.

“When I tell him of my business plans, should I approach my father alone, or with Tatsuo?”

Tatsuo spoke up hotly.

“I am not letting you face him alone!”

“And that would be your answer Katsu… Tatsuo, you’ll need to put your best stern samurai face on when you meet her father. And for goodness sake, freshen up and buy a new set of smart clothes first. Plan to meet him tomorrow.”

Tatsuo nodded, then frowned.

“Hoi, Paul-san, about my clan?”

Paul nodded.

“Getting to that Tatsuo. So, you are not going to confess a damn thing about your feelings for Katsu to them, not yet. You’ll tell them today that you are going to try out this ‘integrating with human society’ first, before any of them risk it. Your plan is that you are going to open up a kendo school in town, because it’s one of the few skills you have that you can get paid for. You won’t tell them I had anything to do with this, other than you asking me for a set of papers. This is all your idea. Got it?”

Tatsuo nodded thoughtfully.

“Ok… that makes sense Paul-san.”

“Right, and because none of you Oni know a damn thing about running a business, you had the brainwave of taking on a human business partner as a cover. You will tell your clan that you found out from visiting the school that the daughter of one of the wealthiest businessmen in the area is a kendo champion. Tomorrow you’ll mention that you sought her out, and have sparred with her, impressing her with your skills. You’ll tell them that you had a bet with her, that if you beat her then she had to help you set up your school, which you did. You then spent the entire night talking, gaining her trust. You’ll mention, maybe once or twice, that you think she has a drop of Oni blood in her, not enough to be really noticeable. But don’t over do it, the idea is to plant a seed and let gossip do the work. After a month or two, you can then mention you have feelings for her… and eventually point out that if you two were married, then that would secure her father’s alliance for when the Yokai go public. By which time if all goes according to plan, your clan should think she’s part Oni... hell looking at her I’m already wondering that. No offence meant Katsu.”

“None taken Paul-san.”

Tatsuo was slowly nodding along to Paul’s words

“That sounds workable... Hoi Paul-san! You forgot one thing though, I don’t know how to teach!”

“Ask Master Aio, you’ll need his help anyway. Mention to Katsuo’s father that your old master will be helping you get started. I think you can probably trust Aio with the whole truth anyway.”

“What about Jiao?”

Paul huffed a breath of laughter.

“Ha.. that one will know within five minutes whether you tell her or not. But she loves her big brother, so if I were you I’d reassure her she’s not going to be loved by you any the less and tell her she’s not loosing a big brother, but instead she’s gaining a big sister. That should settle any qualms she has.”

Tatsuo smiled ruefully.

“You’re not wrong Paul-san… she treats Yuri and Yuko like her sisters already, so… yeah.”

“Ok then.. well, if that’s sorted I’m going to go find my bed and leave you two love birds alone. Try not to get caught, ok?”

Katsu stood as Paul did, and bowed.

“Thank you for assistance Paul-san. I am sorry to have troubled you.”

“That’s ok… I’m glad I could help. Just be careful...and I mean that in all senses. It would be a whole lot less complicated if you’re not with child.”

Katsu coloured slightly but nodded.

“I.. think that may not be an issue, just yet. But I know how not to.”

“Good to hear. Try to keep it that way for now.”

Paul stretched until his back popped and then sighed.

“On that note, Adieu.”

Katsu and Tatsuo stood and bowed, deeply. Paul inclined his head, and headed for his own rooms… the last thing he heard, just as he was almost out of earshot, was a rather scandalised; “You want me to do what?!”... from Tatsuo.

Paul couldn’t help smiling. The young Oni was in for an education.

Paul’s bed was not empty when he found it. Inari had already crept out from under Kiko’s blankets, and quietly stolen into his, as she’d taken to doing ever since she’d returned from Osaka.

Neither Paul nor Kiko had talked about it to each other, but it was mutually understood that Inari needed them both and this was their compromise. As far as Paul could tell, Kiko wasn’t jealous, and he had no interest in Inari sexually…

Or rather, he pretended not.

Paul changed for sleep, and silently joined Inari under the bed clothes. Once again, she’d forgone sleepwear herself, being almost entirely nude, aside from her brush which was curled around her hips. He was never too sure if that counted as nude or not, but it covered the essentials most of the time.

Paul sighed and curled around Inari, playing big spoon to her little. He was self-aware enough to know that his libido desired her, but even though she was sexually enticing he had no intention of doing anything other than admire from a safe distance.

Or at least, he used to have. After the kiss on the beach, Paul had stayed up, having a long heartfelt talk with himself, so to speak. He was forced to admit that, even though he planned on staying celibate, he was developing feelings for Inari which went a bit beyond friendship.

As if life wasn’t complicated enough, he thought ruefully.

With a sigh he planted a gentle kiss at the nape of Inari’s neck. Very quietly, lest he wake her, he whispered.

“Hey, Inari. Don’t tell anyone, but I think I might be falling for you.”

Totally worth it though, he thought, even though Kate would be laughing like a drain about now. He could almost hear her saying….

Oi Paulie, when will you listen? You’ve literally got a hot naked goddess in your bed, dying for you... and you’re pining for something you can’t have? Paul my love, you really are an idiot sometimes.

“I know Kate, I know.. I’m an idiot, but you love… loved me anyway.”

Paul sighed, his breath stirring Inari’s long hair…

“As if life wasn’t complicated enough already.”

... and closed his eyes, trying to sleep.

1