46. Speaking Truth to Power
27 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Inari glided forward across the smooth stone pavers, Paul realised that at least an inch of her apparent increase in height was the fact that her feet were that far off the ground. He guessed even a Goddess might have a thing about her height, or lack thereof.

Inari’s honour guard spread out, forming a hollow square around the impromptu meeting, with the emperor’s mortal body guard stationed, rather diplomatically, on the inside of that. The Emperor and the Prime Minister stood by two of the chairs, waiting for Inari. Paul in his role as Herald went first, drawing out her chair for her as she sat.

The Emperor and then the Prime Minster sat, and lastly Paul sat, noting that the arrangement placed Inari directly facing the Emperor with the Prime Minster to his left, and opposite Paul, who had Inari on his right.

Whether it was deliberate or not, the arrangement also gave the waiting cluster of dignitaries outside the ring of security guards and armoured kitsune a perfect view of the proceedings. Paul wondered briefly if any of them could lip-read.

Dragging his attention back to the matter at hand, Paul politely coughed, signalling he wished to speak.

“The Goddess Inari Okami expresses her regrets at her long absence due to ill-health, however, she wishes you to know that she is recovered and is ready to resume her traditional duties. However, she has directed me to bring to your attention some concerning matters that have arisen during her absence, that are troubling her and will need to be addressed first. Hence this extraordinary meeting.”

The Prime Minster and the Emperor exchanged a look, and then the Prime Minster spoke.

“Ah.. speaking for His Majesty’s government… you must understand that there is no one currently living who has met Inari Okami...”

“Ah yes, of course. Forgive this humble Herald. I should’ve presented our papers first, but Inari directed me to proceed with haste in her eagerness to visit her relatives, the Imperial Family.”

Paul reached into his messenger bag, placing it on the table first and moving carefully in case any of the guards were twitchy, withdrew a half dozen scrolls.

“The Imperial certification recording Inari Okami as a Goddess of the first rank. Her Imperial warrant of passage..ah, what you would call her passport nowadays I suppose. This is a record of her traditional duties, responsibilities and rights, including the right to call upon the Emperor should there be need. These three are modern translations of the preceding documents, and as your experts will no doubt testify, all six are stamped with the same personal seal, despite there being a span of a thousand years between them. A seal, I may also add, you will find a further sample of in your own Imperial museum, upon the Imperial rolls of Kami, next to Inari’s entry, and a likeness of her.”

The Emperor seemed to be doing his best to suppress a smile, whereas the Prime Minister looked as though he’d bitten into a sour persimmon. The Emperor spoke.

“I think we can take it as proven then. Forgive us Inari-sama, it has been a very long time..”

“There is nothing to forgive between relatives, however distant.”

“You mentioned there were matters to discuss?”

Inari nodded, her face growing troubled.

“Yes, chiefly, are you aware that there is an organisation within your Imperial Majesties government dedicated to the eradication of yokai… and that they also paid Me a visit! One that was thankfully skilfully deflected by My Herald, but still unwelcome and worrying.”

Paul inwardly sighed, that wouldn’t have been how he raised the matter, but… he watched the exchange of looks between the Emperor and the Prime Minster. Politics aside, he’d bet good money neither of them knew about it. The Prime Minster opened his mouth to speak, as Paul slid a plain manilla folder out of his bag.

“Documentary evidence, plus a transcript and notes of the conversation which is an audio file on the enclosed flash drive. I apologise for it being audio only, it was a rush job and there was no time to set up a hidden camera to record video, as well.”

“Oh… thank you. You anticipated my question.”

“That is my role.”

Paul inclined his head towards the Emperor.

“I beg your forgiveness as well Your Majesty. As part of the ruse intended to draw out information from the person representing this shadow department of hunters, it was necessary to make certain false claims, one of which was that my cover alias had authorisation from yourself to be there. The transcript and my notes I hope make it clear. But I apologise if this has caused your personage any... difficulties.”

“Oh? I look forward to reading this transcript then...Perhaps you might summarise for now though, with your permission Inari-sama?”

Inari inclined her head, and let Paul control the conversation for the moment.

“To summarise then. I pretended to be a fellow agent from a similar sort of organisation as the hunters, although one with different remit, namely to work with the supernatural in order to contain it safely. I led the hunters to believe that Your Majesty had contacted the British Queen and requested assistance in... ‘recruiting’... Inari to serve as a defensive deterrent against Chinese or North Korean attempts to weaponise their equivalent yokai.”

The Prime Minster interrupted at that point.

“Excuse me, you keep saying yokai as if they are real...”

Paul just looked at him, raising an eyebrow as the Prime Minister coloured.

“Yes, we are quite real. All the ‘myths’ you have dismissed have a basis in truth. However, you understand that there is a great reluctance to step forward and say this, given that it is most likely to cost not only one’s own life, but probably the lives of anyone else that the ensuing mob could find.”

Inari spoke up.

“That is the crux of the matter. Yokai are real, and while we have been persecuted throughout history, it has only become worse as time has progressed. Since the Mejing period, when it became official policy that yokai did not exist, we have been driven underground so we do not have any legal rights as we are not recognised by the modern legal system, and since that time we have been quietly hunted and exterminated as being ‘counter-progressive’.”

The Emperor glared at the Prime Minster, who spread his hands.

“I swear, Your Majesty, upon my honour I was not aware of any of this. You know my stance on human rights. I would not agree to it.”

Paul spoke up.

“Doubtless it is your stance, that is the reason you have not been made aware of it, even though it is clear to us that certain government officials are behind the continued policy of eradication. Although I also do not doubt that those individuals would argue that, by definition, human rights do not apply to non-humans, that Yokai are non-persons as well as non-citizens. Even though many Yokai and their families can trace their lineage back hundreds if not thousands of years, and many have been resident here all that time.”

The Emperor frowned, and turned fractionally to address his Prime Minster.

“The bill last year, Abe, to grant certain limited legal rights and protections to non-human sentient beings, such as dolphins. I recall you saying that the opposition to that was unexpectedly forceful and came from unusual quarters. Perhaps this is why, since those rights could be argued as applying to yokai, had we known.”

The Prime Minster nodded.

“Yes, your majesty… now that you say it, in hindsight it makes sense.”

Paul spoke up.

“Ah, regarding that bill… we used that as basis to draw up a proposal of our own, one that would recognise the existence of yokai and other non-humans, and grant them the same legal rights and protections as humans.”

Inari nodded and spoke, leaning forward and addressed the Emperor in an earnest and impassioned voice.

“Please… consider making this part of the law of the land. Your Majesty’s yokai subjects are nearing extinction as a result of the continued persecution and the failing levels of magic. We have found a way to counteract the lack of magic; help us save what is left of us and stop the hunters.”

Paul quietly took out a half inch thick file folder and passed it across as Inari spoke, adding when she finished.

“The draft proposal, along with supporting evidence of the decline in species numbers, an analysis of the impact of ‘habitat’ fragmentation and so on… and some proposals on how to deal with the problem. In addition, I have been studying the health impacts of a waning ‘mana’ or magical energy field upon the various yokai species. Although I haven’t included that, as the study is not yet finished, I can say based on my initial analysis that it has significant repercussions, similar to dietary deficiencies. However, one conclusion that may be of import is that that in all species, there is a correlation between a decline in field strength, and a decline in fertility and birth rates… and while I haven’t extended the study, it would be logical to conclude that it would probably affect humans as well in similar fashion. There is not as much difference as you might imagine at the cellular level between human and yokai.”

The Prime Minster, who some years ago had been responsible for instigating measures to counteract Japan’s decline in birth rates, looked up at Paul’s words.

“Oh? Are you implying that the decline in birth rates is the result of a loss of magic?!”

“Prime Minister, when I recently did my initial research on the matter, I ran across the government papers you used to support your proposal. The measures you introduced are in my opinion sound and should’ve worked… and yet, as your opposition are quick to point out, they’ve had little to no effect at all. I suspect, and this is just my guess, that your people missed certain factors. Chiefly, that yokai and humans have always interbred to a degree...and after this much time, the Japanese population contains a certain percentage of non-human DNA. It’s this that has left you at risk to the effects of a falling mana energy field.”

“And how do you propose to address that?”

“We’ve not been idle. We’ve learnt how to apply science to magic, and have created a device that converts electrical energy to mana or magical energy. Information on that has already been uploaded to the internet and file sharing sites. Anyone with a college education in electronics can build one. We have taken some steps to build the foundation for a Public relations effort to change people's perceptions of yokai to a more positive outlook, in advance of going public with our existence… or rather I should say, more public.”

Inari stepped in.

“In essence your majesty, we are asking for official recognition and legal protection for your non-human citizens. I am asking for no more, and no less, than what every other person enjoys as part of this nation. In return, you would have our assistance in dealing with the oncoming health crisis your people haven’t even recognised. Humans are less affected by the decline in mana, but they aren’t unaffected. Yokai are.. what is the term.. canaries in the mine.”

The Prime Minster frowned.

“It sounds as if you have already set your plans in motion.”

Inari nodded.

“We have… there was the possibility that we would be attacked before we could have this meeting, much less gain your cooperation, so it was better to ensure our plans outlived us in that case. As my Herald termed it, bomb disposal rules. You keep notes for the next person to learn from your error, and trust that someone else will pick up after you. The work is more important than the individual.”

“You think these hunters would go so far as to attack a Goddess?!”

Paul answered the Prime Minster with a shrug.

“Do you see any others like Inari-sama? She withdrew as a result of ill-health, becoming reclusive while she recovered. It is possible that is why she has been overlooked, but we do not know the fates of any of her brethren. However, they are noticeable in their absence nowadays.”

“And yet.. you risk your lives coming here so publicly.”

“It was necessary… and boldness has it’s virtues. They are unlikely, I hope, to make an assault in your presence. But if they do, then you have proof of what we say. But either way… in order to see this hidden genocide end, we had to take risks.”

“Genocide?”

“Prime Minister, what else would you call the systematic murder of an entire culture and multiple races of people?”

Inari added, addressing the Emperor directly.

“Your Majesty, what humans call monsters, yokai… are not that different from you humans. I hear their prayers as well. They have feelings, dreams, wishes just the same. They fall in love, raise families and hope for a better future for their children. That is a hope we now entrust to you. Please, help Us save them.. and help Us make Japan’s future more wonderful than you ever imagined.”

The Prime Minster and the Emperor exchanged a look, and the Prime Minister spoke.

“Ah… speaking as a representative of His Majesty’s government, I would have to say that we must examine the matter ourselves before we can...”

The Emperor slammed his fist down onto the arm of his chair.

“No! Are we not men of honour?! Do you dispute what has been said?”

“Your Majesty..I..no. But..”

“Again, I say no! Do not speak of committees, of delaying agreement. You heard what has been said. Is this not the Goddess Inari Okami before us? The Goddess of fertility, prosperity and all that is good? You have heard what She has said. She comes to us, at the risk of her life, to appeal for our help..and you speak of ‘examining the matter’?! I know, and you know, what that means. As your Emperor I say we WILL provide what help is needed. We WILL end this slaughter of our own people, and we WILL do what is necessary to bring to justice the people behind it. As your Emperor I order you to make this happen, or it will forever be an unforgivable stain upon the Imperial Honour.”

The Prime Minister stared at the Emperor in shock, as the Emperor glared at him. Paul himself was taken aback, his mind’s eye painting the kindly, round faced middle aged man, who frankly looked like some middle-school teacher, with a set of samurai armour emblazoned with the Imperial Chrysanthemum crest upon his breast-plate, glaring out across some battlefield.

It was a look that seemed more fitting than absurd.

Paul shook his head slightly, recovering from his surprise… and noticed that Inari herself did not seem in the slightest bit perturbed by the sudden show of moral steel from the Emperor. He raised an eyebrow at her. Inari smiled.

“It is good to see that time has not thinned the Imperial blood.”

The Emperor smiled, albeit a bit sheepishly, at Inari.

“Ah… it has tempered the family hot-headedness somewhat; we have learnt to use words not swords to make our point now.”

Inari glanced sidelong at Paul, but said nothing… her laughing eyes speaking volumes instead. The Prime Minister having recovered himself, cleared his throat, breaking the momentary silence.

“Ah. Your Majesty, Honoured Kami. I humbly apologise… I spoke out of the habit of many years serving as Prime Minister, and the necessary caution that entails. But your Majesty is of course correct. This is not the time for that. I will do whatever is necessary to obey your wishes your Majesty, and consider it an honour to be given this task.”

“Good. I am sorry Abe-san, that I spoke harshly.”

The Prime Minster smiled, genuinely, and shook his head.

“No, your Majesty. You were right to do so. I needed the shock to break out of the habit of thought. To remember to be the man before the politician. It will not be easy to get your government to agree though. I may need to offer my resignation again..”

“If they refuse, I will threaten to step down myself. I was being serious when I said this would be a stain on the Imperial Honour.”

The Prime Minister smiled a small wintery smile.

“With your permission, I will repeat that to those who are stubborn… they may not like us, but they would like the chaos that our departure would cause even less.”

Paul held up a hand, forefinger extended.

“Ah, one moment. Forgive the note of caution… but perhaps it would be wise not to offer to fall upon your swords just yet. There are players in this game who’s motives are yet unclear and who may see profit from the removal of allies from the board.”

The Prime Minister gave Paul a measuring look.

“Now you speak of caution?”

“Prudence… is it not wiser to make the other fellow sacrifice himself for his cause?”

The Emperor spoke, querying.

“Sun-tzu?”

Paul shook his head.

“Churchill. Not all wisdom is ancient.”

Paul thought the Prime Minster was going to choke the way he tried to suppress an undignified laugh. He rather thought perhaps he’d unknowingly stepped into a long running argument, or private joke maybe, between the two men.

Just then Paul’s phone buzzed, surprising everyone. Paul smiled apologetically.

“Sorry.. this is probably urgent. Narrator, go.”

“Driver. Get out of there. A van and three SUV’s worth of hunters just pulled in to the carpark here. You got maybe five minutes.”

“Understood, go to plan B, and get out of there pronto.”

Paul looked up, and realised he’d been speaking English.

“Ah, so sorry. We have to go…it would appear we’re about to have unwelcome visitors.”

The Emperor looked outraged, but the Prime Minister was frowning.

“Your Majesty… it might be wise if we don’t offer too much resistance. Let them think we are as yet unconvinced.”

“But...”

Paul shook his head.

“Your Prime Minster is right. These people are dangerous, they see themselves above the law, above government. If they think you are allied with us, at a minimum they’ll go to ground and be a persistent problem for a long, long time. At worst, they may act to neutralise you in some fashion. Better to let them think they’re secure and work to cut them off at the root.”

The Emperor sighed and nodded, then looked thoughtful.

“Still… as a sign of faith...”

He raised a hand, and made as if to gesture someone forward. From the rooftops, several black clad figures dropped. Paul almost started to rise, then noticed the lack of reaction from the security guards. One of the figures stepped forward, and knelt in front of the Emperor.

“By your Command Majesty.”

The Emperor swept up the folders from the table and gave them to the figure.

“Commander, keep this safe until I ask for it please. Also, I ask for one of you to undertake guardin Inari and her Herald for us.”

“As you wish.”

The black clad commander of what Paul took to be some sort of special ops group rose, and gestured one of the figures forward. Paul frowned, aside from the undeniably feminine shape, there was something.. odd.. about the person as they stalked forwards.

The Emperor placed his hand on the persons shoulder, staring her in the eyes.

“Protect and obey these two as you would me. That is an order.”

“Understood.”

The Emperor released the female agent, and looked at Paul.

“You have an escape route planned?”

“Several. Hm, a suggestion. Inari’s guards are illusionary, but with your permission they can remain and delay our foes. They’re no good for fighting but they look the part and should distract them.”

“Very well. Inari, how may we contact you?”

“Through the head priest of my shrine in Kyoto of course. Please be circumspect, he is dear to me.”

“Of course.”

Paul looked at Inari.

“Time for disguises Inari-san.”

She nodded, and took a deep breath, drawing in her power. Her hair darkened, and the inner light of her Divine nature dimmed and went dark. At the same time Paul slipped the kitsune mask off, and placed it in his messenger bag. With a last bit of magic, Inari cast an illusion over their robes, transforming them into ordinary looking street clothes.

Both the Emperor and the Prime Minster stared in wonderment, the Emperor recovering first.

“Remarkable… Safe travels.”

Paul nodded, then looked at the black-clad female agent.

“Sakuradamon gate… we have transport waiting.”

“Understood. I will take point.”

The black clad figure ran ahead, vanishing between the trees as they sped through the gardens in the direction of the ancient stone bridge over the moat.

3