48. Goddess of Metal !
45 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was chilly high up on the camera platform, above the ‘nose bleed’ seats right under the edge of the dome. Inari shivered, and leaned against Paul, who was sure that it had nothing to do with it being cold.

“You ok Inari?”

She shook her head.

“No, I’m scared, for our strangle little family, for what might happen to them while we’re apart. And because I have no idea what I’m going to say on stage!”

Paul put his arm around the nervous young-looking Goddess and hugged her.

“They’ll be ok. The monster hunters will come here first. We’ll keep them here as long as we can, give the others a head start, and then go dark ourselves.”

Inari nodded.

“Any ideas what I should say on stage?”

Paul shrugged.

“No, but some advice, yes. Don’t think of anyone else out there, focus on Suzue and Moeka. Nobody else matters. Talk to them.”

Inari peered down at where, if it was any other day, would’ve roughly been where the pitchers mound was, and nodded.

Below them, Suz-metal and Moe-metal were singing the last bars of ‘Metal Fox’ which were essentially a prayer to Inari, although she wasn’t mentioned by name, beseeching her to come, ending in the repeated refrain.

“Come to me Mother Fox Goddess. Come to me Metal Fox!”

Paul nodded, towards the stage.

“Sounds like your cue Inari. Shall we?”

Inari nodded, and standing cast the Golden power from her hand, creating a compact golden glowing cloud, before stepping onto it. Paul still felt a shudder run down his spine as he stepped onto what was quite literally thin air, slipping his kitsune mask into place.

The cheering crowd fell silent slowly as the cloud, with Inari radiantly shining upon it, descended towards the stage. On stage, Suz-metal and Moe-metal looked uncertainly at each other, as behind them the Hidden Kami band also exchanged puzzled looks.

Paul could see realisation dawn on Suzue’s face first, as her expression went through incredulity, shock and finally awe as she sank to her knees, and bowed, prostrating herself as Inari’s cloud touched down and She stepped onto the stage.

Moeka looked down at Suzue, and then at Inari, and sank to her knees copying her friend. The band members followed her lead, as much as that was possible encumbered as they were by both white sheet-like costumes and instruments.

Then, unexpectedly, one by one the audience sank down, kneeling, bowing towards Inari.

Paul wasn’t sure if Inari even noticed however, as she walked towards the two girls in their faux Edo warrior-princess costumes, and crouched down, placing a hand on each of their faces, cradling their cheeks.

“My daughters of spirit, stand. There is no need for you to kneel before your Mother Goddess.”

Paul knew Inari didn’t have a microphone, but he could clearly hear the echoes of her voice as it filled the entire stadium.

“Mother Inari! You.. you came!

Suzue’s voice trembled, sounding less like the confident kawaii-metal performer, and more like the hesitant, uncertain young woman she was behind her stage persona. Inari nodded, and leaned in to whisper so the audience wouldn’t hear her.

“I came, my daughter asked me. Shoko says hi.”

If anything, Suzue and Moeka’s eyes went wider... after all, they knew the yokai of Yokai-Metal were real.

“You... you’re really her, Inari Okami!”

Moeka’s microphone transmitted her shocked words to the entire stadium...and a whispering murmur rustled throughout the vast crowd as people began to realise this wasn’t part of the act.

Inari laughed, nodding.

“I am. I’ve been away for such a long time, but I am here. You brought me back, you and your devoted followers. How could I not come here to thank you all?!”

From somewhere above them, glowing sakura petals began to fall, swirling on the air currents, filling the air. Paul could feel Inari’s magic at work, and as he watched the petals seemed to slow, and almost stop.

Paul blinked, somehow, Inari was altering time around them. Everything outside of a circle surrounding the four of them, throughout the entire stadium slowed down to an almost imperceptible crawl as time itself slowed. Or perhaps time sped up within the circle…

“My Herald, will you explain to the girls the choice they have to make?”

“As you wish Inari.”

Inari closed her eyes, standing stock still. Paul guessed that maintaining the spell around them took a great deal of her concentration and effort. Paul stepped forward half a pace, drawing concerned looks from both young women.

“Inari Okami is, indeed Inari, Shoko’s mother. This isn’t a trick, what you saw of her before was the disguise, so she might get the measure of you. She wishes to offer you a reward, but it’s one that comes with heavy responsibilities. One of you will be promoted to Goddess, fifth rank, while still living of course, for a special assignment. You will be Inari’s representative in the mortal realm, granted divine powers to some extent, able to do some magic. Your mission, should you chose to accept it, will be to change people’s perception of yokai. You know the truth behind Yokai Metal, you’ve heard their songs. Your task will be to prepare the way for the yokai to step out into the light and openly join human culture in harmony. To usher in a new age in effect.”

Moeka frowned.

“But, why us? Wouldn’t that be their, Yokai Metal’s, job?”

Paul nodded.

“Yes, and they will be working towards that end too… but also no. You see, there are hunters. A government backed group operating in secret, whose goal is to eradicate all yokai. Some are on their way here now, even as we speak. You are not yokai, and you are so well known that they would hesitate to act against you even if you were. Think of your role as being part of a larger plan, the vanguard leading the way. The details of your part I leave up to you as I, as we, have confidence that you can do it.”

Moeka looked thoughtful, but Suzue looked as if she was ready to declare war on someone, possibly involving heads on pikes, salting their fields, and driving their women before her. Just at that moment Paul remembered the line from Shoko’s version of Senbonzakura, ‘Boys and girls becoming like samurai / Just like those from our previous life.’

Suzue looked like a samurai, reborn, just handed her first mission. Paul knew who he’d pick if the choice was his… but it wasn’t.

Moeka spoke up.

“You said we had a choice?”

“Ah. Yes, which of you two should accept Inari’s gift, and take up the mantle of living goddess?”

Suzue immediately turned to her friend.

“It should be you Moeka, you’re the thoughtful one.”

Inwardly Paul raised an eyebrow, despite her evident determination, Suzue had thought of her friend first… and for a reason that made good sense too.

Moeka shook her head.

“No, precisely because of that. You’ve always been the heart and soul of us Suzue, you comforted Yui after she was diagnosed, and you held the band together when she had to leave. It should be you now. The fans have always loved you more.”

Paul glanced at Inari; even though she was motionless, he got the impression she was listening, and approved.

Suzue shook her head, still objecting.

“But...”

Moeka stamped her foot, making her pigtails bounce.

“Suzue! … I’ll refuse if you won’t accept it! You are better suited for this. It’s a task that needs someone that thinks with their heart, not their head. I’ll support you of course, but it has to be you.”

“I am not worthy though.”

Paul indicated Inari with a nod.

“That’s not what she thinks. She knows your hearts, but you have to make this choice for yourselves, and it has to be one both of you agree with.”

Moeka nodded and said

“Because if she’d just picked one of us, the other might come to resent it, yes?”

Suzue glanced at her friend, looking wide-eyed, and then slowly, shyly, smiled.

“I see Moeka, if you’re sure… then I accept!”

“Precisely. Good. Now let’s wrap up the private time you two, this spell only lasts so long.”

Paul dug into his sleeve, remembering something; he had a back-up flash drive somewhere, just in case.

“Now where is it... Ah, here we go. Moeka, this usb drive contains details of everything we know. I’ll leave it up to you how to use it, but be circumspect. First thing you’ll need to do is read the files on mana research and build a convertor. That’ll help give Suzue the energy she’ll need. You can contact me through the head priest at Inari’s main shrine. Just tell him you’re a friend of Paul. Ok, places everyone, back to where you were, time slip ending in 3..2..1..”

Moeka and Suzue hastened to take up the positions they’d been standing in moments earlier, the automatic habits of seasoned professionals serving them in good stead.

With an inaudible, but still perceptible, pop the spell around the four of them burst, and time resumed it’s natural pace.

Paul felt a weight in his sleeve suddenly, and drawing it out, found a scroll he certainly hadn’t put there earlier. Unrolling it, he scanned the words written in gold, and then began to read out loud.

“Let it be known, that on the twenty third day of the month of Frost in the fifth year of the era of Reiwa, or beautiful harmony, that the human Suzue Nakamoto, otherwise known as Suz-metal, is promoted to the status of Goddess of the Fifth rank due to extraordinary service. That she henceforth is entitled to all powers and due respect as Goddess and aide to Inari Okami, with special dispensation to remain in the Mortal World. So signed Inari Okami, Goddess First rank.”

Paul rolled the scroll shut and presented it to Suzue, then stepped back as Inari approached the trembling young woman.

“Do not be afraid, my daughter.”

Inari placed her hands on Suzue’s shoulders, and closing her eyes, summoned forth her Divine energy. The power grew between the pair, and unconstrained by a circle, the magic spilled over.. causing the house and stage lights to go out as circuit breakers tripped.

Paul took a half step back as an intangible but none-the-less very real wind rushed forth past him, outwards from where Inari and Suzue stood. The air seemed to sparkle, and judging by the clearly audible gasps, he wasn’t the only one who felt and saw the spill over.

The small star that formed between the pair lit the entire stage, their bodies casting long shadows across the stadium. The light sank into Suzue, who gasped and stood rigid as her body lit up from within, the power sinking into her bones, her very soul.

For a moment, Suzue blazed so brightly it was impossible to look at her. She was a towering, crackling pillar of blue-white actinic lightning, her scream echoing around the dome, answered by thunder from outside.

And then, like lightning, it was over. Suzue knelt on one knee before Inari, smoke coiling up from where the flooring had been scorched around her. Slowly she stood, and even Inari almost took a step back. Suzue’s eyes glowed momentarily as if lit from within by lightning bolts. Lightning crackled around the young goddess, arcing over her costume, leaping from metal stud to metal stud, playing around her fingers as she stared at it in wonder.

The crowd in the stadium went wild, cheering, screaming, and applauding. Here and there lights started to come on, as people turned on the flashlights of their phones, those that hadn’t been fried, and waved them high in the air.

Paul came up behind Inari and quietly asked.

“What.. the.. hell?!”

Inari shrugged, watching Suzue as she played with the blue-white arcs of power that leapt from her palms.

“You know how I said that giving Divine power to those with a trace of Yokai blood has unpredictable effects? Well, imagine what happens when the recipient has a trace of Kami in their ancestry!”

Paul stared at the young goddess.

“She’s descended from a god or goddess?!”

Inari nodded.

“Mmhm. Susanoo, god of storms, Amaterasu’s little brother. I’d guess she’s his great-granddaughter or great-great-granddaughter. He was known for having dalliances with mortals among others. I wish I’d known that before, I could have warned her.”

Suzue laughed and raising her head, threw her hands up, sending arcs of power flying upwards. Then, bringing her arms down and clasping her hands together, she bowed deeply to Inari.

“Thank you! Thank very much Mother Inari. I will try to use your gift wisely and bring honour to your name.”

Inari inclined her head, one senior goddess greeting a newly minted junior.

Paul, in the meantime, had moved to stand alongside Moeka, pitching his voice low, and hoping the mic wouldn’t come back on just yet, he whispered.

“That was unplanned… but magic is unpredictable. Sorry.”

“Don’t be. That was the most metal thing I’ve ever seen! Listen to the audience.”

Paul listened, and under the chaos, he could discern a chant beginning, two beats and then three.

Sūzu Goddesu! Sūzu Goddesu! Sūzu Goddesu!”

The crowd chanted, over and over, Goddess Suzu. Paul’s eyes widened.

“Aw crap, I think we just started a new religion...”

Moeka giggled and shook her head.

“No, just gave more vigour to one that was already going. They love us, but they’ve worshipped her since the beginning!”

Just then, the power came back on, and momentarily the stadium’s main lights came up, illuminating the entire crowd. At the far edge Paul could see a huddled group of people in dark suits, standing in such a way that he didn’t need to see the guns.

Judging by the slight gasp from Moeka, she’d seen them too. Paul looked at Inari, who was standing beside Suzue, bowing with her to the crowd… and mouthed as he caught her gaze.

“We need to go, now!”

Inari nodded at him, and glanced towards where the Torii gate still stood. Paul nodded. It was about three quarters of the way around the Stadium from the where the agents stood.

Moeka in the meantime had gone over to their musicians, and was talking to them. As she crossed over to Suzue, they started to play. Paul recognised the opening bars of ‘Road of Resistance’; he’d seen the video of that and knew what was coming.

He came and bowed to Inari, and she led the way towards the walkway, moving to the beat of the music.

Paul walked behind and to the left of Inari, as they made their way along the walkway… which as well as being a position of deferential respect, also put him between the hunters and her, blocking any possible shot.

Behind them, Suz-metal and Moe-metal stood on stage, as Inari and Paul strode at a stately, determined, measured pace along the walkway towards the gate.

And then, as the music paused, and Suz-metal gestured, making a parting motion with her arms in front of her, lightning playing between them, the crowd parted abruptly leaving the hunters who’d been trying to push through the crowd towards the stage out in the open, surrounded on all sides.

Suz-metal, or Sūzu goddesu as the fans had renamed her, lifted her fist up into the air, and on the beat, the music screaming into life, it’s tempo like a rushing river… she brought her fist down, punching towards the ground as a lightning bolt arced from her fist to the ground with a deafening bang.

A thousand hyped up metal-head fans cheered, screaming, and poured, running, into the mosh pit, with the terrified hunters caught frozen in the middle.

Inari hesitated on the threshold of the gate, looking at Paul.

“Paul-san, you don’t have to follow me.”

“I’m your Herald Inari, where you go, I go… er, where are we going?”

Inari giggled like a school-girl. Paul frowned, wondering if perhaps all the energy and emotions sloshing around were making her giddy.

“The air in here is saturated with magic. I’m going to use that to open the way to the Road of the Gods. If we don’t go far it should be safe, but there is no way those hunters can track that!”

Paul glanced over his shoulder, and then nodded.

“Ok, those lot are preoccupied with not getting trampled, but I don’t know if they left anybody outside. We’d better go.”

A shadow moved, and suddenly, in a blink of the eye, Nōnēmu was standing beside the gate.

“If we’re going, we need to go now. There are more hunters outside on their way in here. Too many for me to stop without bloodshed.”

Paul nodded, taking a tighter grip on the shoulder strap of his messenger bag as Inari placed her hands on the pillar of the gate. The shimmering curtain of light that formed between the pillars resembled the illusion she’d cast before, but it was richer in colour, and whereas the illusion had hovered over the surface of the black curtain, this seemed to extend back, outwards into a dark void empty of everything save the dancing, twisting curtains of coloured light. Paul swallowed, it was both the most beautiful, and most terrifying thing he’d seen in a long, long time.

Inari held out her hand to him. And with a nod, Paul took it, and together, they stepped though the gate, and into the formless void beyond.

At first it was like plunging into a rushing mountain stream, fresh sprung from a glacier. A giddying rush of motion and air so cold it seemed to freeze the moisture of Paul’s lungs, filling his chest with needles.

Around him, above and below, and to either side, colours and light twisted and danced in curtains of auroral light.. but before him, stretching out to create an endless tunnels in every direction he looked were rows and rows of torii gates, disappearing into infinity. A few, a very few, glowed as if someone had turned up the colour saturation, until the red of their paint bled into the air around them. Most however were dark, faded almost grey in colour.

Even though there was no discernable floor, Paul felt a smooth hard surface underfoot, and as he looked down, he realised that the constellation of lights below him were, in fact, street lights. Somehow, he appeared to be high above Japan, high enough he could make out it’s entirety in one gaze.

Paul gulped. He’d never been afraid of heights.. but this high, with nothing but a thin curtain of charged plasma between him and the ground, it was a bit much.

Inari chuckled, her voice echoing weirdly.

“Don’t worry my Herald, it’s all illusion here. We’re not really standing high above the clouds.”

“Oh good.”

“We’re outside what you mortals think of as time and space. The illusions are there to stop you going mad as your mind tries to make sense of that.”

“That’s not any more comforting Inari!”

Paul turned, looking for Inari, and his eyes widened.

Inari was... Inari... but she blazed like the sun. She towered above him, as tall as one of the torii gates. Paul swallowed, and looked away, blinking against tears, and saw behind her a shadow. A dark shape like a piece of the night sky or the void itself, given shape and form, with two red orbs for eyes like far distant, almost dead stars…

Without thinking Paul’s hand dropped to his sword hilt...and then.. he froze. Just when and where had he acquired a sword?

Paul glanced down, briefly, trying not to take his eyes off the patch of shadow. The hilt looked like it belonged to a katana. Plain, wrapped in simple black cord, well used and work-man like, this was a sword that had tasted blood.

“Be at peace my Herald, nothing and no-one is quite what they seem to be here.”

“Uh-huh, the fact that I’m somehow carrying a sword sort of gave that away.”

“It suits you well. You have a warriors soul in part, so you have a sword. You will notice on the other side you have an ink stone and a brush attached to your belt.”

Paul glanced, and saw that yes, he did indeed have a writer or poets tools. He took a long, trembling breath, which didn’t sting from the cold as much as before, and exhaled.

“Okayyy... so what I see is more symbolic than real. So why do I just see a shadow where you are Nōnēmu?”

A smile flashed in the darkness, one that Aimi-chan would’ve been proud of, with fangs like frozen shards of moonlight.

“I am what I am…”

“Well, that’s helpful, not. What are you? Truthfully please.”

“Is that an order?”

“A strong request.”

For a moment there was silence… although Paul fancied he could here faint music, something high and piping. He shook his head, he didn’t know what it was, but he got the idea that wandering around out here would be very, very bad.

Nōnēmu sighed.

“I am one of the undead, what you’d call a vampire.”

“Seriously?! They’re real? What sort are you?”

“Somewhat like your western vampires. I need blood to sustain me. Although I don’t have all the foolish weaknesses they’re shown as having. But is this important, now?”

Paul shook himself.

“You’re right, it’s not. Inari, where are we heading? I presume each of those gates indicates a ‘stop’ along the road, right?”

“They do, the ones that are faded show which are unavailable but still intact.”

“Unavailable?”

“Lack of magic to power it, or cut off by a dead zone, either of those. We can’t use any of them, which does not leave many.”

Paul nodded, understanding now why the torii gates of every shrine had the shrines name painted on the plaque somewhere on it. It made finding your way out here rather easier.

“Where should we go Paul-san?”

Paul tilted his head up to look up at Inari, then back down as he found that she was standing next to him, looking exactly as she had the day he met her... Paul blinked, shaking his head.

“Whoa! Warn a guy please. I nearly got mental whiplash there. Anyway, you can do this trick only once right? In, out, and done.”

Inari nodded.

“Once we emerge I won’t have the strength to do much else. You’ll probably need to carry me afterwards.”

“I see, are we ok to just stroll here so I can see which are available?”

“Best not. If we tarry for too long…well, time moves oddly here and I am not as certain of this as I used to be. Also The Road has become unstable.”

“Ok...”

Paul quickly glanced along the road stretching into the distance, and spotted a name he recognised on a nearby gate that was still active.

“Arayayama, that’s near Mt Fuji if I recall correctly. That should be far enough away.”

“Arayayama it is then Paul-san…”

Inari touched the gate in question and all the others fell away, literally it appeared, as it filled with sinuously twisting curtains of multi-coloured light. As one, they all three stepped through into the cold autumn air and wanly orange, late evening sunlight…

... and the shocked gasps of tourists!

2