52. Not the End, but the end of the Beginning.
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The smell of lunch, or rather brunch soon brought people downstairs. Firstly a rather shyly hesitant Masami, who offered to help, and shortly afterwards Inari and Kiko came creeping downstairs, like a pair of giggly schoolgirls out on a date. Paul noticed that Inari didn’t seem to go further away from Kiko than arms reach… and vice versa.

It was utterly cute, and made Paul feel older than he was.

He nudged Nonemu, or Usagi, and muttered..

“Ah.. young love!”

Nonemu very nearly snorted the glass of water she was drinking at the time. Judging by the glare he got from Inari, she’d heard too…

Once they were all sat around Masami’s small kitchen table, which even with the sliding screen doors open into the dining room and the table extended, was barely large enough to hold them all, Paul looked round the table.

“Ok… while everyone is here, we’re going to have to plan what our next step is. Do we stay in hiding, go on the offensive, or what?”

Masami raised a hand, for all the world like she was back in school.

“Umm… am I included in this?”

“If you want to be, then yes.”

Masami nodded.

“Just… I had a thought when I woke up. I can’t hide the fact I can see now, and it’s undeniably a miracle. Which means I can’t deny you were here Kiko, should they ask.”

Paul sighed, and looked across the table at Kiko.

“I understand you did a good thing… but you have also put your cousin in harms way.”

“But I didn’t mean to! All I did was hug her. It just… happened. It’s been happening all the way from Tokyo. Small miracles, wishes.. they just seem to come true around me without me doing anything! That’s why I didn’t go to my uncle at the shrine! Can you imagine what would occur there?!”

Inari leaned back, making a circle with her thumb and first finger, and looking at Kiko through it. She blinked, looking surprised.

“Hoi! Kiko, love… you’re leaking magic!”

Kiko blushed, making vague hand gestures up and down her body, as if she was trying to decide what to cover…

Paul spoke up.

“I take it that’s not normal or expected?”

“No. Her body is overflowing with mana…”

“Where’s it coming from?”

Inari shrugged.

“I don’t know, no-one knows why, but some gods and goddesses just make mana, without it coming from anywhere. It looks like that.”

“Okayyy… tabling discussion about that for later then... because seriously, what the hell?! Anyway, what can we do about it? Can you take back your ‘pearl’?”

Inari shook her head.

“It’s… well the best way to describe it is that the pearl has dissolved and is now spread throughout her. They can’t be separated.”

Paul sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Nothing’s gone to according to plan since the stadium… Alright, I take it you can at least teach Kiko a degree of control?”

“Maybe…. but I don’t know how long that would take. Once she gets the trick of it, it could go quickly. But it’s one of these things that you either get or you don’t.”

“I see… Ok so for the duration then Kiko will have to come with us. I presume you can mitigate the trail of small miracles behind her.”

“I can try… it’s not something I have much experience in. Kami don’t normally try and stop it happening after all.”

Paul nodded.

“Figures, so if we move, we’ll just have to move fast then, hope we don’t make too much of an obvious trail.”

Inari nodded, then frowned.

“Move where? Where can we go?”

Paul sighed.

“Home Inari… I was thinking maybe we fall back, regroup on the mountain, and then try again.”

As silence fell on the small group around the table, Paul glanced around. Nonemu looked like she was considering the tactical angle of his suggestion, Masami looked uncertain, but then considering she’d probably barely left her house in the past few years, that wasn’t surprising.

Paul’s phone buzzed at that moment, causing him to blink. He pulled it out, and answered it.

“Narrator.”

“Driver… where are you now?”

Paul considered for a split second how to answer that, then shrugged.

“Where you left your package. Where are you?”

“Home plate.”

Paul put the phone on speaker, and placed it on the table.

“You’re on speaker, Driver. What are you doing back at Home plate?”

“Playing catch up it feels like. I circled back round to see if I could find out more about who was giving us trouble. You are never going to believe who the hunters are.”

“Division 3 of the Metropolitan police’s security bureau.”

“Oh. Maybe you would then. And just how are you knowing that then?!”

“I have my sources. Listen, this is important. Do not engage the hunters. Don’t poke that hornets nest until I’m ready.”

There was a long silence, then Ash spoke sounding a bit sheepish.

“Ah… we might be having a wee bit of a problem then...”

“What have you done?”

“I’ve done nothing… mostly. It’s a bit of a long story now it is, but I was on my way to go rescue… ah, she isn’t having a code name... the lightning goddess. So there I was, on me way there now, only there’s a bit of a crowd outside the police headquarters, because somehow they found out that’s where she was now. So I got delayed on account of the streets being blocked off. There I was, thinking to myself that the sky was looking a bit ominous like, and this banshee like wail started up, and next thing I know a tornado’s touched down, ripped a chunk of the building off and all hell’s breaking loose.”

“OH… Bloody… Hell! Apparently lightning isn’t the only thing she can do.”

“And isn’t that the truth now! So the building is all to pot, everyone’s running around like headless chickens evacuating and I notice this group running the other way, towards the trouble. Now I think to myself, this lot look a lot like the hunters… so I tagged along behind them, quietly like. Then there we all are, up where there’s this big hole in the building, and there she is now, mid-air, in the eye of the storm...and there’s a little bitty girl below her acting like she’s got our girl on an invisible rope. Like a kite on a string she was.”

“What the...”

“That was what I thought, so I did. Figured she was a witch, working for the hunters. So I thought, maybe that’s how they tracked us. So I lobbed a brick at her, bouncing it off her skull, and it broke her concentration beautifully now. But, that’s when it all went to hell now. Our girl took off like a banshee on a hot date… leaving the place a shambles. The hunters went over like nine-pins so they did, and the witch girl who was out cold, went over the edge and would’ve ended up a chalk outline on the pavement below, only the belt loop on her trousers snagged on a bent bit of rebar just on the edge of the hole where there used to be a wall now. So, I thought, now’s my chance.”

“I reiterate.. what did you do?!”

“Um… well as far as anyone else knows, the witchy-girl got snatched up by the tornado and is half-way to Oz by now. But actually, I grabbed her, jumped and made off with her.”

“Why the hell would you do that?”

Paul could almost hear the shrug in Ash’s voice.

“It seemed like a good idea at the time. She was going to die if I didn’t do something now. So, I snagged her and decided to make off with her, figuring you might want to ask questions of her.”

“Meaning you saved her from a fatal fall, then thought of justifications after the fact. Because really, you’re too soft-hearted to let her die.”

Ash laughed.

“Ok, guilty as charged so I am. Should I be letting her go instead?”

“No… lay low, bind her so she can’t do anything. Magically I mean, as well as physically. I’ll think of something. Is she still out cold?”

“She came round a few minutes ago, but she’s dazed and doesn’t seem to know where she is or what’s going on yet.”

“Ok, hole up, lay low and put her on ice. Not literally. Keep an eye on her condition in case she needs medical care. If she does, call me, and I’ll make some calls and see if I can sort out something. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Before you go now, there was something else.”

“Oh?”

“There was an announcement on the TV this morning. Himself is going to be making a special address to the parliament tomorrow, along with the Big Nob. So, I think whatever you said, had an affect.”

Paul grinned broadly.

“Ok, that at least is good news. Stay in touch, if I don’t call you tomorrow, call me. Stay safe and lay low for now.”

“Will do. You too.”

After Ash hung up, Paul looked around at the small group gathered around the table, grinning.

“Well, sounds like we need to plan a return visit soon. Kiko, get in touch with your Uncle, you may have messages waiting. Inari, we’re going to have to go home, grab supplies, in case you need to put in an appearance, if not… well we’d have to head home at some point.”

Inari grinned at Paul.

“Hey Paul-san… you called the shrine home.”

Paul blinked, then smiled.

“Yeah, I did, didn’t I?! Well it is… and for once in my life, I actually want to go home. I think I know now what homesickness feels like.”

Kiko had her phone out and was calling her uncle, the head priest, before Inari had even finished laughing. She stood by the back door, conversing in low tones for a few minutes, then hung up.

Paul asked..

“Well?”

Kiko shook her head.

“The message was that we should watch the TV. The Emperor has his own proof which he will present to the Diet. Also, he apologises, but he will return the equipment you left behind once he has finished with it.”

Paul blinked, then a slow smile spread across his face.

“I have a feeling I know what equipment he means… ok. We should plan on heading for the mountain. I suspect we may not have to worry about the hunters so we’ll just take the train. Masami, do you want to come with us?”

Masami nodded.

“I think so. I think it’s about time I got out of the house. I want to help, but I don’t know how much good a former personal assistant would be.”

“You were a P.A? Yeah, that’ll come in handy. What industry did you work in?”

“Public relations… mostly advertising, but we handled some political campaigns.”

Paul stared at her in astonishment for a moment, then slowly grinned.

“Oh yeahhh… do I have a doozy of a job for you! Could almost be heaven sent...”

Most of the rest of the day was taken up in packing and preparation. Since they were not outrunning the hunters, Paul suggested that they take the midnight train, to arrive in Kami by 5am. He got the feeling that everyone wanted to get back as soon as possible.

So it was, in the twilight moments just before dawn, Paul found himself stepping off the train onto the platform at Kami, then turning to help first Inari and then Kiko and Masami down. Nonemu ghosted up behind Paul and murmured.

“I don’t think it’s trouble… but there is a crowd waiting for you just up the platform.”

Paul turned, only to have his breath knocked out of him by a small body impacting his at high velocity. Shoko hugged him fiercely, grinning up at him, before letting go and repeating the process with Inari. She went to hug Kiko, but stopped, looking at her in surprise.

“Hoi! You’re glowing!”

Kiko nodded.

“I know… can’t help it.”

Shoko grinned, and hugged her anyway. Although her hair stood on end as if she’d hugged a static electricity generator.

Yuri rumbled behind Paul.

“Welcome home Paul-san. It’s been quiet.”

“Any sign of Tatsuo and Katsu?”

Yuri shook her head, her hair whipping over her horns. At that point Paul realised something important… not one of them were in disguise.

Paul glanced around; there were people on the platform, including a rather short and curvy woman with a bushy squirrel tail in a police woman’s uniform. Paul blinked, shaking his head.

“Did we miss something… important… while we were gone?”

Yuri grinned at her.

“You could say that. You remember Ms Mitashi? She’s been busy rallying support since Halloween, gotten a bunch of yokai and influential people in town on your side. Someone may have given the mayor a copy of your proposals folder, the one you presented to the local yokai lords covering the potential tourist trade?”

Paul nodded slowly, then turned to look at Inari who was doing her best to look innocent.

“I… may have accidentally dropped it, at one of the evening classes… one attended by the mayor’s wife who has a daughter in class 3-b.”

“Okayyy... what happened?”

Ms Mitashi spoke up behind Paul,

“We happened.”

Paul turned… and stopped and stared. Standing beside Ms Mitashi was what looked like a Shiba Inu breed of dog, if you took one and rearranged it’s skeleton to be more human. Then dressed him in a business suit.

“Ah.. Holmes-san, may I make known to you the Mayor of Kami, and my good friend Namora Katsumi.”

Paul blinked, then bowed, smiling slightly.

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance sir… although I still don’t understand what happened to bring about such a change.”

The mayor grinned slightly at Paul. His voice was a pleasant tenor when he spoke.

“Oh well, that’s because it turns out people recognised individuals from Yokai Metal, as being ones who also appeared in the costume parade and on stage at the Halloween festival. My good friend Natsuko, ah, Ms Mitashi here, told me the school has been abuzz with speculation as to who they might be. Of course, those of us who are yokai recognised them… but anyway. When the concert happened, especially after Inari appeared, well the Nekomata was out of the bag! So, I called a town meeting, and told everyone the truth. Natsuko here had gotten us quite a bit of behind the scenes support, so people came forward in support, and not just yokai either.”

Ms Mitashi, Natsuko, interjected.

“Namora-san threatened to step down as mayor if the proposal didn’t pass… but since no-one could dispute the brilliant job he’s done of managing the town in the last eight years, no-one wanted him to. We were prepared for long and bitter arguments, but in the end it was more like… why are we even talking about this? Do it!”

The Mayor shook his head.

“I suppose you could say, doggied determination comes naturally to me.. but anyway. The proposal passed by a simple two thirds majority vote and the resolution was ratified, although it has to be recognised by the prefecture’s council. But that shouldn’t be more than a rubber-stamp.”

Paul sighed.

“Meaning?”

“Ah! Yes.. didn’t we say? Kami is now officially a sanctuary town for yokai, where they can walk freely among humans, and discrimination on the grounds of species is illegal. I must say, it’s very nice not having to wear that damn disguise all the time!”

Paul stared in shock, then with a whoop he grabbed Inari and hugged her.

“You hear that Inari? It’s started… it’s well and truly started!”

Inari laughed, and then let out a startled squeak as Paul kissed her soundly on the lips.

The rest of the day passed in a whirlwind of people wanting to meet Inari, of celebrations… The town took on a distinctly festive air, and Paul thought that this would eventually end up being a sort of local independence day possibly.

Local yokai hesitantly at first, but in increasing numbers took to the streets, without their disguises. Paul witnessed more than few incidents of neighbours who had no idea that the other was a yokai, laughing at the absurdity of remaining hidden all these years.

He waved at Saori when he saw her slithering past, a gaggle of giggling small children riding on her back. Some of the Oni were strutting around town; he spotted Yuri surrounded by a group of track-suited young men and women, as she lifted a bar with a number of them hanging suspended from it. Master Aio he noticed deep in conversation over a chess board, with an older man that bore a striking resemblance to Katsu.

Paul felt a bit dazed himself, although that might have had something to do with the number of drinks that had been pressed into his hand by well-wishers. Still, he thought, it strongly reminded him of something…

The answer came to him as someone let off a string of fire-crackers a street or two over. It was like the end of a war… when those that had survived, couldn’t quite believe they had, but decided to celebrate being alive.

Paul’s lips curled up at one corner… the local midwife would be very busy in about nine months he’d wager.

Somehow he ended up down by the beach again, where someone had strung a giant white sail-cloth between two trees, and the school A/V club was setting up a projector and sound system to show the Emperor’s address to the Diet. Paul checked his watch, they’d have to get a move on, it was due in a few minutes.

Briefly, he wondered where everyone was… the last he’d seen of Inari, she and Kiko were holding court, which was the only way to describe it, at the town hall. Which was a rather drab bit of beige 70’s brutalist concrete architecture. Paul had been amused by the surreal sight of two young seeming goddesses sitting in the glass fronted atrium between grey concrete pillars, with a long and winding line of people, human and yokai alike, leading up to them as they dispensed wisdom and healing, listened to complaints and wishes alike.. and generally acted as one would expect from a pair of Divine Persons.

Paul was just glad a Herald wasn’t needed, that people could talk to the goddess Inari directly. It had been a while since he’d had time to himself, with no worries and nothing planned.

A cheer went up from the gathered crowd, who were in good spirits despite the cold wind whipping off the sea. The A/V club had finally gotten the projector working and tuned to the correct channel… although from what he could gather the broadcast would go out on very nearly every channel. He hoped it would be good news… evidently everyone expected it. There were charcoal braziers set up and people were selling hot drinks and food.

Just as the broadcast started, with the station logo and countdown timer, he felt warmth against his side, as if something or someone was pressed against it. Frowning he glanced sideways, and saw a shimmer of heat-haze. Just for a moment, Inari’s smiling face peered at him, as if from underneath a mask, and she winked. Paul found her waist by feel and pulled her closer.

Very quietly he remarked, as if to thin air.

“Adulation can wear thin very fast can’t it.”

“Mmhm… it can. But this is going to be a historic moment, one that will be remembered for a very long time to come. Where would I be, but by your side My Herald, so I may make you part of this memory, for all eternity.”

“I suppose so. It’s odd to think that even after I’m long gone, you and Kiko will keep me alive in memory.”

“Hmm yes. Kiko .. I don’t think it’s sunk in yet, the fact of her immortality. For either of us, actually.”

“Still, at least you won’t be alone now.”

“True.. oh it’s starting!”

The Prime Minster was shown standing in front of the House of Representatives, according to the scrolling ticker-tape at the bottom of the screen. An ornate desk like structure, in front of the chairman’s seat, and above the semi-circular enclosure containing official stenographers.

He talked about the things Paul had addressed before, how within their nation there was an unrecognised, dwindling minority of people who were ‘unpersons’, not legally citizens despite them having lived here since before history began. He went on to describe their plight...without once calling them yokai. The crowd began to grow restive. There were boos… which was unusual for Japan as public politeness was the norm. But then, rowdy drunks were rowdy drunks the world over.

Paul heard Inari muttering several unkind words too. He shook his head.

“I thought he was a more capable politician than this.. he’s completely misread the crowd. People will be turning off their TV’s in minute or two.”

“There is still the Emperor’s speech yet. They will stayed tuned for that.”

“Hope so… I’m falling asleep here.”

The Prime Minster bowed, and there was some polite applause. Then the emperor took the podium, and stood there.. staring out across the assembled politicians of both houses. Silence stretched on, and on...until he spoke.

“My subjects... fellow citizens. The honourable man speaks the truth. Our country has and is guilty of mistreatment bordering on genocide of these innocent people.”

Paul sat up straighter, as he imagined a whole lot of other people just did. The Emperor had a way of speaking that commanded respect. In contrast to the dullness of before, it was electrifying.

“We will not allow this any more. It is the Imperial Will that laws are written, or rewritten, to include these people in their protection, as full and equal citizens, subjects of the Chrysanthemum Throne the same as all of you.”

The Emperor paused… and it seemed like even the ocean was holding it’s breath.

“But who are these poor people you say.. where are they to be found? They are all around us, hidden in the shadows, unrecognised. They live in the abandoned places, on the margins. Preyed upon by gangs and fanatical organisations alike.

They are our neighbours, our friends perhaps, keeping their nature a secret from all but a very few. Living in fear of being discovered. But recently, a few, a brave, bold and desperate few, have come forward and told us who and what they are… some of you may already suspect who these are. But I will tell you plainly.

We are Yoaki.”

There was a stunned silence...and then Paul watched, as the Emperor seemed to shine from within, his form dissolving… and reshaping in between one breath and the next…

The Imperial dragon leaned forwards, resting his five toed feet on the desk, bending his head down to the microphone, and spoke into the silence.

“We are the origins of the myths and legends, of the stories humans tell. We are Yokai and like you, we love, we laugh, we cry and we feel pain as you do. We are people too, are we not deserving of the same rights then? We have always been here, whether you chose to believe in us or not. The Imperial Family has always known this, for we are them too… and now we will openly admit what we are, what many of us are. We will humbly ask you to accept us for what we are. Proud citizens.”

He got no further; the House erupted into noisy chaos ...as politicians stood up and shouted… and then… the camera panned to the front row. There a Tenuki stood in a grey suit, blinking and looking around at his fellows defiantly.

Another stood up, and unfolded, revealing himself to be a crane spirit. Still another threw aside her mask and stood tall, with her ears erect and tail held high, a red haired Kitsune for all to see.

One by one, the yoaki who lived and worked as humans within the government; elected representatives, councillors, even the staff, stood up, took a step forward, and revealed themselves. Symbolically standing with their Emperor.

The Prime Minster came up, still human, and bowed at the Emperor…

“We will now vote on the proposed bill in front of us. In light of the unusual nature of this, we will do this by a show of hands, so all of those present may be held accountable for their actions this day. All those in favour of the legal recognition of Yokai as full citizens with all the protections and duties that includes, now raise your hand...or limb.”

A forest of hands, limbs and occasional wing, was raised, the ushers for each section counting them, then conveying that tally to the vote counters.

It took only a few minutes for the vote to be counted and confirmed. The Prime Minster took the slip of paper from the chairman, and spoke.

 

“Votes for, 653.. votes against, 57. The Yes vote has it.”

Paul didn’t hear any more, couldn’t hear any more, as the crowd gathered in the streets, spilling out onto the beach, erupted into wild cheers. Inari hugged him tightly, her invisibility slipping as she kissed him on the cheek. After a few minutes, as the sky filled with fireworks… someone in the A/V club put on “We are Yokai” and music rang out across the gathered throng, who sang along to the lyrics.

“We are Yokai, and we’re here! [We’re here!]

We’re here! We’re here!

We’ve always been Here! [We’re here!]

In shadows we dwelt, all through the years.

Living in your forgotten, abandoned places,

waiting until the day, when we can say,

WE! ARE! HERE!”

Paul lent down, and spoke into Inari’s ear over the noise.

“And now… now the real work begins.”

2