They Surround Our Troops
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Look out! It's a runaway cart!” The following crash stirred me awake as my heart pounded. Immediately, I got dressed and headed out of my room. I approached the situation, only to retch as I saw a simple wagon cart smashed into a wall. There were two horses that were fatally wounded from splintered wood that skewered them to the wall and a person that seemed pinned underneath a broken wheel, still struggling.

What happened? What tore this cart apart!?” I asked.

The wheel came loose and that’s where it fell. Don’t try to help him, the weight will kill you as well.” One of the villagers warned me. In spite of that, I went to the cart and dug my hands underneath the heavy frame. True enough, the weight was very heavy. I couldn’t even budge it. The closest I could achieve was getting splinters underneath the broken frame of the wagon. No one else seemed to want to join in.

Come on now, if we all put our all into lifting this cart, we might be able to save this man’s life or at least give him a start!” I pleaded with the others, who seemed to ignore them… One person, the mayor, took off his jacket and got me out of the way. As he squatted, back against the cart, I went ahead and pilfered the back of the cart to lighten the load, carefully placing the sacks onto the ground. I observed that the sacks each had a four-digit number: 1823. I presumed that was the year. I looked at the mayor as he struggled to lift it, though he managed to do better than I did, as the cart lifted a few inches off the ground.

The mayor needs our help! Take the load off this cart! For once in your damn life, help with your heart!” My words spat out whatever I could to motivate the denizens. Eventually, a few people did come to my aid and take the sacks off the cart. The mayor managed to hold the cart long enough for some of the others to pull the would-be victim away from the wreckage. As the mayor panted, I went to his side.

Thank you, kind sir… You helped an innocent man today. What is your name, for you’ve done nothing but good during your stay…” Monsieur Madeleine asked me.

Rob Langolier. You must be Madeleine. From what I’ve heard of you, you’re the brightest of men.” We shared a glance at each other.

Monsieur Mayor, I have no words. You come from God. You are a saint!” As though to reaffirm my newfound faith in the mayor, the man he saved blessed him. I might actually like it here. If I were to get a steady job, I might set myself up for life without needing to visit America. As the people took away the man, the mayor leaned against the crates that were still on the cart. I figured it’d be a good time to check in on the woman from yesterday, but before I could go…

“Can this be true? I don’t believe what I see!” Javert emerged onto the scene, perhaps having witnessed the whole thing. “A man at your age. To be as strong as you are!” He approached the mayor. I merely raised an eyebrow.

I helped as well. It wasn’t just Monsieur Mayor. Even the civilians helped! We all played a part!” I said to him.

But that cart was still heavy, even with a dozen people, you couldn’t have lifted was well as the mayor…” With a nod, he turned to the mayor. “Your strength brings to mind a man who did what you have done. He was a convict from the chain gang, he’s been ten years on the run.” Both me and the Mayor realized where he was going with this. Before he could respond, I jumped in.

Multiple men have feats of strength, perhaps it’s a coincidence? Are you certain that this convict is here, among our presence?” I asked him. Javert… shook his head.

I apologize… At first, I had assumed… And yet, once I found him, I shouldn’t have presumed… This convict was not you, for they had found his hideaway. He had just been re-arrested and he appears in court today.” I exhaled a sigh of relief.

I do apologize, but I must take my leave, but there’s a person I must relieve…” I left the two to discuss about the convict. In a way, I was kinda glad the convict wasn’t the mayor. That sort of thing would have led to this town going under and leaving me with no place to stay for the Revolutionary War.

I had thought about the thief from the church, but Javert mentioned how the convict was running for ten years. I had just seen that man a few days ago. Even with time travel in play, I doubt I’m actually ten years into the future…

Whatever, I don’t even know if the thief and the convict were one in the same and it didn’t even matter anyways now that he’s arrested. All that matters now is securing a place to stay, though after checking in on the woman from last night.


I found her sitting on a bed, looking no worse for wear. A little bedrest was what helped her out, though she still looked as glum as when I gave the money to her.

“It seems fate keeps bringing us…” I noticed the lack of cadence in my voice. Another lapse in the timeline, I guess. “…together.” I finished my sentence before she noticed the pause.

“God is mocking me… He’s letting me live over Cosette…” She shed a few tears as I remembered the time, I entered the office…

“That letter… About the sick child… It was for you.” I muttered.

“Go ahead… Call me a slut like the rest of them… Think less of me because I have a child with no father to raise her.” As she began to cry, I shook my head.

“I won’t. I don’t even know your name and yet I know you’re far from what you label yourself.” I approached her. She hesitated before speaking up.

“It was because of you that I was able to cloth my dear Cosette… Thank you…” She hid a smile behind her frown.

“Where is she at this moment? You should get back to her…” I asked.

“She’s living in Montfermeil with a kindly couple and their family of kids. I pay them monthly for their services.” Ah, so it’s like babysitting but with extra steps. “But… now I have no job, and no means to pay for her…” My heart sank to the bottom. Had I kept a few more of those golden coins, I would have given them to her, maybe even employed her with some of the money I’d be making at work. Instead, I handed them all to Sammy to sell. I just hoped the currency I’d have still had some values in France.

“I’ll talk with the mayor, have him give you a jo-”

“He’s the one who left me with no job.” An air of awkwardness lingered between us. Just a while ago, the man was literally called a saint and now I’ve heard that he is willing to indirectly let someone’s daughter die just because their mother was rumored to be a whore? Either there was more to him than met the eye or it was all a misunderstanding. Obviously, I wanted the latter to be the truth.

“I’ll talk with him and get him to give you back your job. If not, I’ll do double shifts.” I said to her.

“That won’t be necessary…” I turned to see Madeleine standing outside the room before he waltzed in, taking off his hat as he did. “I’ve heard all I need. I’ll arrange for someone to fetch Cosette.”

“M-Monsieur…” Before the mother could speak, he nodded.

“There’s some money I’ll be getting before I depart to Arras. Take it. It will help you with Cosette’s well-being.” He said.

“… Thank you, both of you…” She said. Madeleine nodded, then headed out.

“My name is Rob, by the way.” I said to her.

“Fantine.” She gave a warm smile back. She then coughed, covering her mouth with her hand. It left me a tad concerned. Normally a cough like that wouldn’t be so bad, but given how far back in the past I am, the cough might be indicative of an affliction.

“It’s a lovely name, Fantine. Almost sounds like fountain if you say it fast enough.” I gave a light hearted chuckle to ease the tension “I hope Cosette is delivered to you soon.” We both shared a frown, perhaps knowing that time was of the essence. With a sigh, I spoke up. “I guess I’ll see you around.” I left the room. Just before I was about to leave the hospital, I came across a nun who was about to enter Fantine’s room. I gave a glance at her, then simply asked:

“She’s dying, isn’t she?” I asked. She hesitated. I shook my head. Talk less. Smile more. I had to remember that mantra. “My bad, I just assumed…”

“No, it’s okay… She isn’t.” I blankly stared at her, then peaked into the room where I saw Fantine cough a bit more.

“It’s okay, you don’t need to sugarcoat it…” I said to the nun. However, she glared at me.

“It’s a sin to lie.” After she said that, her face became a little more neutral. “If you had brought her in about a week or so later, that would have been the case, but I haven’t found any blood on her sheets since you and the mayor brought her in, so if she has an illness, it isn’t tuberculosis. I overheard what you and her talked about and I believe that Cosette might be able to make her feel better.”

“How so?” I asked.

“I believe God would want the two to have a nice, happy life together.” With that, she walked into the room to hand Fantine some food. While I wanted that to be the case, I didn’t want to put my faith on her survival on what was basically the Law of Attraction with a religious flavor. However…

I remembered how Sammy spoke of how our bodies were more modern. Enough to deal with disease. Even if this wasn’t TB, we might have the antibodies needed to take care of whatever malady Fantine had. With that idea in mind, I took out my flintlock and rubbed the sign…


After the crash of waves, I was back at New York City. The key difference was that there were now British Redcoats around the area. They weren’t pursuing anyone, so I believe I managed to lie low. Immediately, I looked around for Sammy. Funny enough, I managed to find him. He was talking to an older man with a well decorated red coat.

“So, we just let him run?” The general asked.

“Every time he loses, he runs off. With enough time, we’ll back him into a corner. I’ve also heard reports that he faces frequent desertion from his troops. He’s fighting a losing battle and we should let him realize that we’re inevitable.” Sammy tipped his hat to the general. “That’s my advice for now, Howe.” He noticed me, then walked over.

“Hey, Samuel.” I said. The general walked away, accompanied by some troops. “Who was that, just now?” I asked.

“That was General Howe. You came at a good time. We just finished the capturing of New York City, so you don’t need to worry about any rabble-rousers.” Sammy said.

“Okay, that’s nice and all, but…” Samuel nodded and took out a sack. Inside were way too many silver coins for me to count.

“Relax. I got you covered. Had to haggle a bit, but I got you the most money out of those gold coins. Feel free to use these here for the time being…” He then leaned in to whisper. “Don’t worry, once America wins this war, they’ll be more than happy to change those British shillings into American currency.”

“Got it… Listen, Sammy, I met someone in France. She’s sick. Not sure if it’s fatal… You told me about our bodies and how new they are… Can they be used to cure her?” I asked him.

“It’s possible but risky on multiple levels. Not to mention that we don’t have the technology to help in the process. You’re taking a gamble.” Sammy didn’t pay attention to me, instead going towards a horse.

“But… It’s possible. What do I need to do to-” Sammy sternly turned to me.

“All for a random person in France.” He coldly said.

“… Her daughter’s sick as well. They need my help.” I said boldly.

“You’re missing the point… What’s so important about them? In the grand scheme of things, what does a mother and her daughter have to do with shaping history? Unless this is some French royalty who needs to be alive to preserve the timeline, I have no interest in helping you.” Sammy got on his horse. I growled and hopped on as well.

“They might not mean something to you, but like hell am I going to let them die.” I squeezed the handles of his body.

“You really want to help? Fine. There’s still the southern tip left to take over. You help me with that, I’ll help you with your sick people. But just this once.” He said. Just before he took the reins, a fellow Redcoat came next to me.

“Hey, who’s the guy?” He asked Sammy.

“A Hessian. He lost his coat in battle, which reminds me. We’re gonna give you some new clothes once this is over. HYAH!” He and the others threw their reins as the horses galloped.


“How’s it feel, Langolier? This is going to be your first taste of war! Do you feel excitement?” Sammy asked as we rode to the southern tip.

“…” I kept the emotion in my chest, but there was a bit of a fervor in my body. It was that same fervor I obtained back when I turned 18 half a year ago in my time. Having that card and knowing that one day, I would be selected to fight he good fight… That was the feeling I had right now…

And yet, I’m fighting against my own country for the benefit of a mother and daughter from another country.

“It feels odd… but… also great.” I said. The horses stopped just at the doors of the fort.

“There it is… The Battery. Langolier, I trust you know how to use your weapons, because otherwise, the only trial you’re going to have is by fire.” Sammy got off his horse, as did I. I took out the flintlock. Sammy took some time to load a rifle, which made me realize something…

I didn’t put any bullets in my gun when I fired last time… The bullet just… sprang out. Before I can ask Sammy about that, he was alerted to some soldiers and ran off to confront them, leaving me alone to explore the fort. I quickly realized that it was heavily abandoned…

“So that’s what Sammy meant…” I muttered, remembering what he said to Howe. Even so, I held my weapon on the off chance of a surprise. The lack of a coat on me might help me, since it was a good indicator of if I was friend or foe. Sammy might have left me in the best possible spot for a green newbie like me.

Squeak squeak squeak…

Or so I thought. The sound of wheels squealing made me jump and point my gun to a pair of blue-coated people, one of whom I recognize, having turned his gold coat in for blue. Alexander, I believe Burr called him.

The beats began as I can feel my vocal chords begin to tickle. I think this is the vocalization process.

“Hol’ up, hol’ up!” As soon as he noticed me, Alexander held up his hands.

“Rrrrrrah!” His friend, an absolute muscleman, gave a quick growl that might double as his battle cry.

“You’re that guy from the bar and back when Seabury was the star-”

“Rrrrrrah!” The growls punctuated his speech.

“What’s a guy like you doin’ at a place where British troops are pursuin’?” He asked me.

“I can ask you the same thing. I didn’t really ask to be a part of this shindig.” I replied.

“Yo, keep it quiet, but I’m stealin’ some cannons.” He said to me.

“Part of that retreat, huh?” I remembered what the plan was, then stowed away my gun. “Aight, I’ll look away and cover ya, bruh.”

“You’re a life saver.” The muscular friend said.

“Yo, we keep meetin’ like this, kinda like it’s God’s bliss, should at least tell me ya name, man.” Alexander asked me.

“Rob Langolier, you?” I asked.

“Alexander Hamilton.” I heard some soldiers running towards us, I gave him the nod. “There’s a million things I haven’t done, so just you wait, just you wait!” He ran off with the cannon, as did his friend. Sammy and a fellow soldier caught up with me.

“What happened?” The soldier asked me.

“Just some scavengers hoping to salvage some guns.” I said.

“Let ‘em go. If they wanted their victory, they should have been earnest and earn it.” Sammy said. The soldier decided to survey the rest of the area while Sammy pulled me to the side. The beats began to die down.

“Sorry, I couldn’t shoot… He was talking his mouth off and then his friend was threatening me with his guns… Well, not literal guns but-” My own mouth was running off.

“No, no, it’s okay. If that was who I thought that was, you made the right call. This was not his place to die.” Sammy said to me.

“… Wait, when does he die?” I asked him.

“Far past the point when I will die at. That’s all I know about him.” He walked with me as we explored the rest of the fort. Once we got the clearance that there were no additional troops, we got back on the horses and ran back, carrying some of the cannons left behind in tow.


“Same held true back at the Battery, Howe.” Sammy relayed his information to the general. I was now dressed in a green coat with red sashes. According to Sammy, this was the uniform of the Hessian, German soldiers who acted as auxiliary to the British militia.

“So, my idea has been confirmed. Samuel, you’re the only other person who agreed with me about George Washington’s retreating. They run because they couldn’t fly. With you by my side, we can easily crush this revolution and be done with this by Christmas.” Howe said. I resisted any urge to scream at Sammy as he nodded.

“It’d be a pleasure, General.” Samuel bowed. “Now, if you excuse me, I’m going to show the Hessian around.” He went to me and took me by the hand.

When we were a good amount away from him, no, scratch that, away from any British soldiers, he turned at a snap.

“I know what you’re thinking. Let me explain.” As Sammy opened his mouth, I did too.

“So you are wanting to make the British win!” I growled.

“No! If I was, I’d tell Howe to pursue Washington.” His shout lowered to a hiss. “Howe’s mind was already fixated on letting Washington run. I was merely there to tell him what he needs to know and pass it off as my idea. From there, I’ll be able to rise through the ranks in time for Griswold.” He said.

“How do I know you’re not just stringing me along?” I asked him.

“Because I told you before how I wouldn’t do anything that puts my existence at risk. The British won Griswold. I’m only going to lessen the casualties. Speaking of…” He took out a small capsule. Inside were dozens upon dozens of small, purple smartie-shaped pills. “I was given this before I was sent back, just in case I came across a situation where I or someone else got sick from a disease our bodies weren’t prepared for. It’s able to boost the development of antibodies. You said two are sick, correct?” He took out two and handed them to me. “This is as far as I can help you. You alone need to forge your legacy.” With that, he walked away before patting me on the back. “I’ll see you on the other side of the war, Langolier.”

With the time it took for him to leave, I held the two pills in my hand… Perfect! Now to get back to Fantine! Rubbing the plus on the rapier, I switched times, back to France.


I was right outside Fantine’s room, exactly as I had left it. It was now night time lack of light outside the hospital. I wasn’t sure if it was the same day or even a day later… Pills in hand, I entered Fantine’s room. I saw that the mayor was there by her bedside, hair white as a sheet. I was just about to enter the room when Javert charged past me, shoving me out of the way. I held onto the pill tightly so that it wouldn’t fall.

“H-hey! What’s the matter!?” I got up as I saw the two stand and confront each other. Fantine was soundly asleep, the sack of money that Madeleine promised by her bedside. As we stood, I heard music beginning to swell, as did the feeling of my throat swelling.

Valjean, at last, we see each other plain. Monsieur Mayor, you’ll wear a different chain…” He said. Valjean? I presumed that was the mayor’s first name.

Whatever business you two have, please leave the room… Fantine is sleeping and you two could be her gloom.” I walked in, squeezing past Javert. I checked Fantine. No blood, and there was slow but steady the rise and fall of her chest. Safe.

Stay out of this, Langolier, you know not what he is! Mayor Madeleine was just a façade. Before you stands the escaped criminal, ten years on the run, Jean Valjean!” I gave a glance at the mayor, then at Javert. While I trust his word, it didn’t add up.

You said you arrested him earlier, didn’t you? What happened that made you look at him anew?” I asked.

Because he confessed at who he was. He professed at the crimes he had done. He even revealed the number of his time: 24601!” The Mayor’s own face, contorting to a frown, seemingly confirmed it. I noticed Fantine stir awake.

Arrest him outside… Far from her sight. I agree at your decision, but don’t make this her blight.” I whispered as her eyes opened.

“Cosette? Where’s Cosette?” She sounded out of it, to the point where her voice did not match the song. Still in the process of waking up. Javert pulled out a rapier…

Wait, he’s going to seriously arrest him at Fantine’s room?

No! Screw talking less. If I talked less here, I couldn’t be able to smile more.

There was a small delay, young Fantine, but don’t you fret. I’ve been assigned to fetch your Cosette…” I tried to obscure Fantine’s vision of the two men as they came out of the room.

“Please hurry… I fear she won’t be long for this world…” With another cough, I handed Fantine the pill. The music played away from where I was, and my voice had a slight cadence, but was otherwise normal.

“This will help.” I said. “When I return, I will have Cosette…” I then ran out of the room as I heard the sounds of sword clashing against wood. Both of them singing out different verses. I wasn’t sure who to help… The Mayor, who had just been revealed to be a criminal despite having a heart of gold, or Javert, an officer of the law who I had seen is a man you wouldn’t want to be on his bad side?

I knew I had to get in on the fight before one of them kills the other, though. I pulled out the rapier and intervened, my blade against Javert’s own rapier and the Mayor’s wooden bar that he seemed to have pulled from one of the walls. Nuns saw us in the heat of battle and rushed to attend to the patients, including Fantine. As I stared the two men down as our weapons were locked, I noticed two things…

Javert’s rapier looked exactly like my rapier, with the exception of the golden plus. 1823… The year my father said the rapier came from… Could this be where it was used? It seemed even Javert noticed the white steel on my blade and how similar it was to his own.

Though, what got my blood to freeze was the Mayor. I saw a bit of his footwork during the fight and I felt like it was familiar… The desperation in his steps, throwing whatever he could, putting everything into the fight… Like that of a thief…

That’s when I remembered the man from the Bishop’s. I couldn’t put two and two together because the mayor lacked something that man had: a beard. He was clean shaven and had a full head of hair. That said… A lot could change in ten years…

“You…” I muttered. The Mayor’s eyes closed in remorse, perhaps he too remembered who I was… Maybe even sooner than I realized… I hadn’t changed since the last time we met, which to him would be ten years. I then remembered what the Bishop said, about him being an honest man and how him and I had a role to play.

I could feel the rapier strain against the wood. Eventually, these weapons will break free and I will be forced to choose a side. Protect the thief who the Bishop put his faith in or answer to Javert’s wrath?

1