Fourth Disgrace
8 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More time has passed for the young knight, with fortune on his side once again he could finally sit behind his very own desk inside a humble yet comfortable office given to him by his superiors as a reward, but the empty shelves around him didn’t sit well with him. However, he was sure he would soon fill them with documents and books.

But at the same time, something slightly saddened him as he wouldn’t have time to enjoy the small benefits as new ranks demand more responsibilities and a small pile of paperwork was already waiting above his desk.

Without much else to do, he grabbed the first file and placed it on his desk until the door of his office was thrown open with a child wearing along indigo dress running inside followed by two servants he had met before.

“What do I owe the honor of your visit, your highness?” He quickly addressed the young member of the royal family as any knight should address them.

However, princess Annelise, with her pre-teen like strength, stomped the floor. “How many times must I tell you to call me Anne?”

Her reaction earned a small laugh from the loyal man. “I cannot break my code as a knight.”

Princess Annelise giggled and walked up to Alynore’s desk, showing her height to be tall enough for her to rest her elbows on it. “But that’s why I’ve come to congratulate you on your promotion as First Lieutenant.”

The new lieutenant stood up from his chair and gave the princess a bow. “Is a great honor to have the princess to personally congratulate me. I assure you I won’t disappoint the faith the royal family puts upon my shoulders.”

“At this rate, you might become a commander or even a general!” She exclaimed as she put a finger below her chin, pondering of the implications.

The young man nodded. “Is a possibility, but I won’t think of the future as only the present matters now.”

“But if you do become one you will leave the capital.” The princess somehow could deduce the implications of a military promotion.

He let out a long sigh and grabbed a specific document from his desk. “I do have to leave your highness, after my promotion, they have assigned me to assist on the western frontier.” 

Document, which he handed to the princess, who didn’t wait another second to eat the contents as fast as she could and threw the paper away.

“Hmph... I don’t like that.” She pouted with her arms crossed, an action that didn’t go unnoticed by the caretakers who suppressed their amusement.

The newly promoted lieutenant hit his chest right above where his heart should be. “Is my duty as a knight to serve this kingdom.” 

The young princess looked down, gently bitting her lower lip, her heart clouded with uncertainty as her limited mind raced for solution, until one idea finally brightened her face, giving her the strength to look him in the eye with confidence. “What if I become your superior?”

Alynore was taken by surprise momentarily, but just as fast regained his composure and kneeled in front of the princess, lowering his head in reverence as he extended one hand to her.

“Then I would gladly become your subordinate.” 

His declaration made her face break into a wide smile while her heart fluttered with excitement to the point of jumping with joy, but as a member of the royal family, she had to control herself. “Is a promise then!”

Then she turned around and left the small office room with her bodyguards and caretakers. Or that was her plan until her favorite knight loudly coughed twice, catching her attention.

“Your highness must first graduate from the military academy to be part of the military.” He hastily explained.

The princess remained still for a moment before looking at her caretakers, who could only nod in agreement with the lieutenant causing for her cheeks to slowly adopt a faint pinkish color of embarrassment before pointing a finger at her favorite knight and future rival. 

“I will graduate and reach the rank of commander first so you can be by my side!”

Soon after, she left with fire in her eyes, as she had a new objective to prove her resolve.

0