Chapter 1: Self Awareness
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hello, I am a manifestation of the knowledge domain. As a manifestation of a domain, I am privy to many secrets related to my domain, which means as I am sure you can imagine will allow me to help you learn about yourself. You have become something incredible.” The first of the voices to speak to me since I wondered about my limits begins.

I press the elevator button that will take the thing to my floor. As the doors shut in front of me, the voice continues to speak.

“Please take a second to contemplate my domain, and then shut your eyes and look inward.” The voice requests. I do as it asks, curious to see what I can learn from this initial activity. As soon as my eyes are completely shut I find myself still fully aware of my surroundings, including able to see through my shut eyelids, and I am both surprised and delighted to see a new, odd, mental window appear to the side of the two existing mental theaters I can perceive reality through.

This new window is not focused on observable reality, but instead shows me many different status screens. It is curiously video game like, and as I study it, I notice several different drop-down bars that appear in the right corner of the screen.

Each one has a different set of words affixed to it, “Cosmic God”, “Grand Adonis”, “Zenith King”, “Dragon Lord”, “Sanguinarch”, “Living God”, “Transynth”, “Omega Lord”, “Nova”, and “Archdemon”, are the names given to the currently visible drop-down menus. I can vaguely sense the general power levels of the kinds of beings that I am, which I know instinctually is what these words are telling me. I know that the single greatest kind of being that I happen to be is a “Living God”, which is only somewhat stronger than a “Grand Adonis” and the least mighty is a “Zenith King”, but I can also tell that each of the types of creatures listed in front of me is meaningfully powerful.

At the same time, I see a few powerful words emblazon themselves in the upper right corner of the screen. “Secrecy”, “Dissemination”, “Seer”, and “Mastery: Knowledge” are the curious words that appear in the upper right corner of the latest mental theater to take up space in my perception of reality. I study each of the words and when I do information about them flows into my mind. This is not as simple as the definitions of each word, but rather what each word means to me.

Each of the words, including the “Mastery: Knowledge” conveys abilities to me that I can now make sense of, though a few of the abilities were already revealing themselves. My power to learn things about people merely by looking at them is an aspect of this domain.

“Excellent! It’s good to see that you can easily make sense of your powers and have even organized them already.” The voice from earlier tells me.

“You have become something that no one has ever seen before: a manifold ascendant who has the powers of a living god. Initially even ‘I’ wouldn’t have been sure of why this was the case, but after you looked inward it became clearer to ‘me’… Your soul is that of the ancient lord of Mars, the ‘Zenith King’, who as it turned out must have also been an Omega Lord from Etherscape.” The voice tells me, as though any of this makes sense without context. This thing must be able to hear my thoughts as because as soon as I think that it does something a bit like clearing its throat and speaks up.

“Ah, I apologize. It seems that in a past life you were not as mundane as you may have felt until now. The cosmic energy that struck you was drawn to you by the brightness of your soul. Your soul shone brightly because of what you were in a past life. You were a trifold being.” The domain explains, even as the elevator doors open, and I step into the hallway in which my apartment is located. I begin to walk towards it while the voice continues to speak.

“In a past life it seems that you possessed the powers of both Novas, a type of powerful ethermancer from the extra-dimensional empire known as Etherscape, and Omega Sparks. Omega Sparks are mighty fonts of power that exist in the hearts of Omega Lords, powerful beings who once dwelt in a kingdom situated in a time loop that is nestled in the last few hours before the death of the multiverse. A long time ago a legendary adventurer roamed the cosmos using remarkable powers before attempting to settle down on Mars. His attempt to settle down on Mars failed, but left the place changed.” “Knowledge” tells me, sounding rather reverential all the while.

“This adventurer was able to, among other things, make use of Omegatech, remarkable technology created by Omega Lords and largely only useable by them, to help make Mars suitable for life, and even though he didn’t settle on the planet his actions are why it’s habitable at all. People theorized that the Zenith King was an Omega Lord but no one knew for sure until now.” The voice in my mind tells me, sounding awed even as it contemplates the implications of this knowledge.

“When his attempt to colonize Mars failed, he left the galaxy to continue adventuring. Something must have occurred that kept him from learning about his success, perhaps he was simply too impatient? You see his actions rendered Mars a habitable, lush planet and is known to have resulted in the creation of a race known to Martians as ‘Elurii”, an all-female, elf-like race that possesses incredible strength, charisma, and magical affinity. They remain in this solar system to this day, awaiting his return and worshipping him in the meantime.” Knowledge tells me, causing me to chuckle.

“It seems that he is you. It is known that he would later die, sacrificing his lifeforce to heal a wonderous queen who had been stricken with a terrible curse, though not before vowing to find a true home someday. It appears that you are his reincarnation, and that living on Earth must have stripped you of your ability to access your, his, powers. Because of the veil. However, the origins of your nature as a ‘Grand Adonis’ is a mystery, even to me…” The voice explains, causing me to laugh lightly.

The veil is the name given to a phenomenon that makes it so that magic and the supernatural are weakened and dampened on Earth. It’s something that we learn about as kids now, thanks to efforts to study what magic works on Earth and the accounts of the first supernatural creatures to move to Earth in the modern era, who boldly revealed the existence of the veil in the wake of discussions with Earth’s various governments shortly after they arrived here.

Supernatural creatures can come to Earth but only if they give up most of their supernatural abilities, permanently, becoming either weirdly human-like or animalistic in the process. Vestiges of magic remain, which is what makes flying cars and other such supernatural things possible, as well as allowing lesser magi to exist who can use very weak spells but the veil allows Earth to remain unconquered by supernatural forces despite how much stronger than humanity such beings usually are.

It has also kept humanity from traveling to other worlds, as the veil obscures our efforts to see what lies on other planets for reasons that, if known to governments, are not known to the public. According to “Knowledge” Mars is far from lifeless, and this prompts me to attempt to search for “Alerts” tied to my domains and sins that hail from the relatively close by planet.

I smile brightly when I feel my powers again reacting to my intent. I am quickly alerted to a plethora of instances of my domains and sins that hail from Mars.

Even just reading the list appearing before me is enough for me to gain significant knowledge of the odd planet’s multiple cultures, billions of inhabitants, and even a bit of awareness of the curious history of the planet. My mind races as it absorbs this knowledge and I feel myself beginning to unconsciously connect seemingly disparate trivia that is now locked away within my mind. I am also able to learn about a place named “Quentra”, where seemingly the majority of the Elurii live.

“Amazing…” I mutter, even as I repeat what I was told to do for “Knowledge” with the other domains and sins that I am aware of. Each time I do I gain conscious awareness of the new words that float in the videogame-like screen that I can study freely. I immediately study them and when I do I feel new powers stir within me.

Sins and domains both give me access to three sets of words each, and a unique “Mastery” word that is just the name of the domain or sin, coupled with a powerful super ability. As I do this, I hear the excited voice of the domain of knowledge almost shout into my ear, causing me to laugh audibly.

“Yes! Take initiative and learn from the things I tell you. Incredible stuff Ricardo.” The voice tells me, clearly deeply excited.

When I am done looking at the lists available to me from both my domains and my sins, I feel a plethora of information surge into me. I gain an awareness of “Power Sources”, my “Divine Realm” and “Hellish Lair”, and even my “Favored Race”; the legendary Elurii I once helped create. This potent knowledge causes my eyes to glow and for me to laugh in joy.

“Of all of the domains, knowledge is one of the ones that is tethered to success and longevity as a cosmic god.” The voice of the domain tells me, even as I begin to turn my eye toward the other menus. I greedily open them, which itself manifests in my list of sins, even as my mind surges with more knowledge.

I reach the door leading into my apartment and enter the empty, tiny room that the landlord generously calls a “Living room”. As I do I begin to be able to more fully appreciate the astounding powers that I possess. I can feel how mighty they all are, and beyond that I am aware that the veil will not affect my powers. I am not sure how I know that, but I feel it in my bones that my powers will not be stymied or weakened by the veil in the slightest.

Each of the “Types” of creatures that I am, be they one of the five types of ascendants, or one of the three lesser but still incredible beings; “Nova”, “Omega Lord”, and “Zenith King”, or even perhaps the mightiest two of them all, the “Living God”, and the “Grand Adonis” grants me remarkable new abilities. While there is some overlap, such as both “Living God” and “Omega Lord” granting me the power to expand my sensory range without conscious effort, and both of them as well as “Dragon Lord” giving me the power to give others powers, I can keenly feel the staggering potency and sheer versatility of my powers.

I also gain an awareness of something neat. The ship that I can see through is a body of mine that is as easy for me to control as the body I have possessed until now, it is very distinctively a part of me due to my nature as a “Transynth”, one of the five types of ascendant beings that I now am. I can even use my non-Transynth powers through it at will!

I am powerfully aware that I am distinctly lacking some important things. Being an ascendant, a Living God, or even any of the three lesser types of beings that I am, would normally all come with mighty resources, which I am very distinctly lacking.

Aside from being able to draw power from instances of my domains or my sins, I have little as far as power sources go. Other than the Elurii, who worship me as my past-life’s self, and the inhabitants of my underworld I have no worshipers, I have no temples, no horde, no artifacts, no souls, or anything of the sort. Even as incredibly powerful as I am, I am entirely devoid of the resources that I would have had if I had ascended or become a Living God through my own power instead of randomly. This is a problem…

I walk over to the tiny couch which sits at the end of the small cube that I have been told, repeatedly, is technically a living room. I almost throw myself onto the thing as I contemplate what to do next.

I am now aware of myself. I am cognizant of my capabilities, of my many strengths, and equally aware of my few, though incredibly important, weaknesses. I lack the infrastructure needed to accrue more power, and though I have the capabilities to build my own army, that is only one of several things that I need if I want to maximize my own potential power.

I glance at the four close corners of my living room, and I decide to flex my abilities. I will the living room to expand, and smirk as it does as I command it to. I watch the four corners of the living room push apart from each other, and I feel the living room become wider at my command. It expands for a few seconds and when it is done expanding, I am standing in the middle of an opulent space that is completely empty aside from what little furniture was already here.

I hear a voice in my head call this an example of the “Spacetime” domain, and a familiar rush of energy seeps into my cells, invigorating me. I like that my own actions that qualify as instances of my domains and sins energize me just as much as sins and domain-instances committed and caused by other people do. This can easily allow me to recover lost energy, or otherwise grow even greater by acting instead of allowing others to act on my behalf.

I silently begin to use “Creation”, one of the “Greater Megapowers”, abilities that all ascendant beings can learn how to use, that I possess to fill my living room with furniture. I am using a power that creates something out of nothing, relying on my reality-defying ascendant energy to break the laws of physics and ignore how reality is supposed to work in favor of making it work how I want it to work. I feel a tiny bit of my energy vanish as I use my power, but every instance of domains and sins I am aware of replenishes some of my energy.

As furniture forms around me I hear a soft choir of voices chanting my name, followed by vague descriptions of what I am creating, and then remarks that these are instances of the “Creation” domain. Familiar surges of energy fill me, and I momentarily wonder if other cosmic gods with the “Creation” domain are empowered by my acts of creation.

“No, they are not. The only way for another cosmic god to benefit from the domain related actions of one of their peers is if they are in the same pantheon. You are not part of a pantheon, and as such actions you undertake which relate to your domains only benefit you. Actions undertaken by your underlings do not have this protection unless they are in your presence while they are doing whatever domain-related activities they are doing.” The voice of the “Knowledge” domain whispers into the back of my mind.

“Additionally, you gain much more energy from instances of your domains and sins if they are done by your followers, in your name, or any other such contextualizing factors that cause them to have some sort of positive, intentional link to you.” The thing adds, causing me to pause and begin to think about what to do from here.

“Hmm… I really need to strategize about how best to proceed.” I mutter, even as I take stock of my surroundings. My plain living room, even with new dimensions and elegant new furniture is hardly a fitting lair for a multifaceted god…

I close my eyes and focus on the constant stream of alerts that I receive from Mars. The not-so-distant planet is the home and birthplace of my “Favored Race”, which itself makes it a valuable place for me if I seek to gain as much early power and influence as possible. The number of Elurii in existence is in the millions, and the race that I, in my past life, created are active across the solar system.

Each time they sin or are responsible for an instance of a domain the energy I am fed is greater than it ought to be, by a healthy amount. By going to Mars and linking up with the Elurii who are already there I can begin the process of rallying them to my side, as well as begin to accrue influence throughout the solar system.

Tactically speaking, the wisest move I could make would be to either stay here and begin to build up a small following, or to go to Mars and make waves… Well, it’s not as though I actually have to limit myself. One of the benefits of being as powerful as I happen to be is that I can safely engage in different courses of action at the same time.

I keep my eyes closed and I elect to go ahead and pay a visit to Mars. Doing so allows me to begin to think of various ways I can leave Earth behind, or even stay here on Earth while also paying a visit to Mars in ways that are meaningful enough for me to be able to exert my full power.

My ultra-charged mind is fully capable of forming complex and abstract strategies and makes use of the full range of the knowledge I am privy to as a cosmic divinity of knowledge to come up with a thousand different ways I could go ahead and achieve my goals here. It only takes me a few moments of contemplation before I decide which of the various plans I have thought up that I will enact.

When I pick which of the plans seems like the most fun to enact, I smirk and feel my consciousness stretch to make the plan I have settled on possible in the first place. This is about all of the preparation I need, aside from deciding how I want to behave in front of the very first people I would like to persuade to become my worshipers.

Curiously enough, it takes me more time to decide how I want to behave in front of the Martians I am determined to persuade to become my worshipers than it does for me to complete mentally preparing any other aspects of these plots and schemes.


Two more immense ships, exact clones of the first ship to appear in the night’s sky, appear in the sky above Fayetteville. Both ships are also invisible and incorporeal, and so the appearance of neither ship causes any alarm or fear. Both vessels are only in the skies above Earth’s surface for a few moments before they vanish from view, teleporting an immense distance and reappearing in the skies above a distant, verdant Martian valley.

The beautiful vessels appear in the skies above gigantic Martian mountains, invisible and undetectable to the two armies they ominously loom over. Both armies are made up of “Orenar”, human-like creatures who are currently oblivious to the devastating threat that floats above both opposing armies.

The two armies belong to two different nations, each of which is hell-bent on claiming the verdant resources that lie in the valley. Their opposition to each other’s designs, and their indifference to the desires of the valley’s native inhabitants has created a long-lasting instance of the “War” domain, as well as countless sins, allowing Ricardo to learn of the place the instant that he first focused his domain and sin sensing abilities on Mars itself.

The divinity has elected to use this place as his entry point into Mars simply because this is an urgent situation and without direct intervention it stands a real chance of continuing to fester and worsen. At least in this instance the deity wishes for his influence to be positive and for his work here to be good; he wishes to stop the conflict before it results in more death and suffering than it already has.

He has appeared here by mixing [True Shifting] with [Teleportation], one of his sanguinarch powers that allows him to do acts such as clone himself with a [Greater Megapower] that allows him to teleport across the multiverse with ease. This powerful act has allowed him to be both on Earth and on Mars at the same time and is something he can do with comical ease.

Even as his ships begin to hover above the two armies, floating silently over the headquarters of the two forces he has come here to oppose, he beams an avatar of his into the relatively close-by central village of the “Daemon” natives of the valley. In their villages they have long lived normally peaceful lives with minimal technology and maximum communion with nature.

At the same time, in the distant Elurii realm of Quentra, the current queen of the Elurii gasps. Her soft blue eyes widen as she feels something she has never felt before: a strange rush of energy filling her every cell, suffusing them with potent power and exciting her in ways she has never felt. The heart-achingly beautiful redheaded elf-like woman elects to use this strange new energy by sharing it with select Elurii who are positioned in different parts of the solar system.

One of the women she transmits this potent energy into is a healer who happens to be in the same village where an avatar of Ricardo’s has just been sent. The blonde healer is a woman named Eosyn, an Elurii of the “Dawn” caste who is a powerfully skilled healer and magician. She is quietly tending to the daemonic victims of the two armies, a soft golden glow vaguely emanating from her even as she casts powerful magic to heal the wounds sustained by the valley’s protectors.

The instant that she receives the mighty, nerve-alighting energy sent to her by Laluia, the queen of the Elurii, she shivers in delight. Even as that energy begins to course through her veins, filling her with power, she is also further enhanced by her status as an ally of the figure she reveres as the “Zenith King”, whose nature as a maximally powerful transynth ascendant fills her with the passive buffs given to allies by the metals that make up the ships that invisibly float in the not-so-distant skies.

The next time the saint mutters an arcane word of life-bestowing healing power, meant only to prevent the warrior’s condition from worsening, the wounded soldier she is taking care of is bathed in a powerful, holy light that completely restores him. The light covers him for a few seconds, closing his newest wounds and healing even the oldest scars on the grizzled veteran’s chest, causing him to exhale in bliss as aches and pains he believed he’d feel for the rest of his life are done away with spontaneously and completely.

This strange event causes Eosyn’s heart to hammer in her chest as she feels the raw power she has just channeled into the body of the figure she has healed. Tears stream down her face as she sees how completely healed the warrior she was asked to treat has been restored, so full of life and energy in fact that he thanks her for her treatment and gets up to go and help the defense effort some more!

The powerful healing magic, which serves as an instance of the life domain, the light domain, and the magic domain, causes Ricardo, distantly, to smile in shock and delight. The avatar is currently smirking in the middle of the village, unseen by anyone because he is still [Shadowblanked]. He knows that the second that he undoes his power he will be noticed by attentive village watchmen, studious individuals tasked with protecting the village.

He takes a deep breath even as he wills the power protecting him from the diligent notice of the skillful village watch to drop, allowing people to see him. In the lightly populated village square, the eyes of numerous daemons widen as they fall on the figure who has just, to them anyway, appeared from nowhere.

His stunningly beautiful body distracts the village watchmen who are currently present, even as no one dares to approach him to ask the figure to leave the village. Every villager stares at him, both respectfully and disrespectfully, and he laps up their sins. He delights in the energy their envy and lust generate. None of the villages can approach him, they are all too awed by his perfected, archetypically masculine beauty, which is itself an effect of a mighty “Lust” domain perk. The figure eventually looks at the people gathered around him and smiles, beautifully, at them.

His smile, serene and perfect as only a cosmic god of love's smile can be, causes some of the villagers to fall in love with him! He greedily laps up that instance of the domain as well, happy to feed on as many instances of power sources as much as he can in this early stage of his development.

2