Ch-14: End of part one
122 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The soldiers stood united under the Kingdoms banner. Some sung old war ballads and others drummed the ground with their abdomens. Every legion had their scent flag waving above their heads: a thousand of them total. That was a hundred thousand soldiers, half of our total population! It showed the Queen's determination. The termites had angered the sleeping giant.

There were soldiers, and then there were the slaves. They had finally been let out of the dark cave deep underground. They barely made a tenth of the total numbers and stood stark compared to the soldiers.
Midst them was no fanfare, no flags or singing, and drumming.
They were the ants from conquered lands that had been reared as slaves; they were the captured, the won, and the useless. They were the dead ones walking that had no right to enjoy the festivities of the living.

Soldiers and slaves — they’ll be sharing the same war, but playing different roles. The living will be fighting the war for valor; the dead will be fighting for a chance at life.

The commander appeared from the broken part of the tower. None accompanied him. He stood alone facing his soldiers.
At ease,
soldiers, the order fell from the tower. The wind was blowing away from him, bringing his words to each and everyone on the ground.

Peace, he started, comes at a price. And it’s costly to keep. We have been at peace with our neighbors for so long that even mere termites don’t consider us a threat anymore. They have forgotten the fire that burned them away from this patch of land. The soldiers stirred. They have forgotten the chance we gave them. They begged for life and we allowed them to run to the west, to the land beyond the desert of white glowing sand. It has not even been three complete generations since and suddenly, they have grown a pair of wings, and think they can challenge us? The scents grew heavier. The flags rose higher and higher. The drumming became incessant. We showed pity when there should have been none. We gave mercy when we should have uprooted them from this word. Not again.

The activities stopped. Everyone raised their heads, antennae straight in the air, faces determined and ready. The commander passed the verdict.

It’s time we burn the termite’s existence out of our neighborhood, once and for all!

Ho! The soldiers cried. Even I found my heart pounding when I like many others were simply bystanders.

The sun glared from the sky as the progression marched past the boundary watched by the sentries and slowly disappeared into the thicket to the west. The scents they had raised hovered over the city for an instant before being swept away to the nearby regions by the wind, striking fear into the hearts of the trespassers living in our territory.

We were at war, but the city didn’t understand this. It demanded to be taken care of without caring for the sentiments of its residents.

Since the sky was clear and sunny, the workers decided to open the air ducts that had been blocked since the thunderstorm. They would open the closed tunnels when the time was right. With the city suddenly losing half its population, the existing chambers were enough to house the remaining population. Priorities like repairing the tower, stocking firewood, and bringing leaves into the city to increase mushroom growth took precedence.

The need for protein never dwindles, because the larvae require a strict protein diet to grow healthy and strong. Since the queen would be laying eggs at a quicker pace to fill the numbers, it would be impossible to feed the whole city on a diet of protein. The mushroom farm was going to play a large role in getting us through.

It all meant further delay in the completion of Princess Tinbuji’s personal abode, where she would be laying eggs after becoming a queen.

That being said, there was one thing that bothered me personally. There was this one notification that had been pestering me all day, ever since I had regained consciousness. I had tried to will it away like usual, but it was persistent. It said it was a notification log. I had no idea what it meant.  

Later, our scouts returned from the neighboring cities bearing good news. The cities had agreed to send reinforcements to the west. The scouts weren’t late. There was just no time to wait for reinforcements. The 34th city was already under siege. If the soldiers had waited the city would have fallen by the time they reached it.

As for the Princess, she kept busy around the farm and sent me off to supervise the worker under me. There was a new tension to her that hadn’t been there before. The only time she relaxed was upon learning that the completion of her chamber would be further delayed, which was unusual from my point of view.

She had hoped to get valuable information out of the termite. It was supposed to solve the mystery and light our path, but it had died worthlessly. We needed to know their motive, not where they lived and their surprisingly bludgeoning population. It was no wonder the termites dared expand their way into our territory. The numbers were in their favor.

Since I was not required by her, I spent the morning supervising the workers at the tower. It was the only way I could help. The workers weren’t pleased to see me and they made sure to let me know that they meant business. Keeping them working was a headache in itself, but regularly cleaning the cement that they mistakenly threw at me every now and then was a bigger nuisance than I had first considered. I believed it to be a harmless joke since the cement could be easily cleaned off —unless it hardens. That’s when you risk losing the affected area, which was their purpose in playing the sick joke on me.

It was while our shift was coming to an end when the workers forgot all niceties, and it set me off. Show me what you have got, I thought out loud. Though it didn’t make the workers even hesitate, it did send the persistent notification that had been hovering at the center of my sight, into an explosion of colorful messages and characters, some familiar, but the majority of them were not.   


You have killed a puppet of gluttony.
Experience gained.
Congratulations! You have leveled up.
Frankly, I did wonder if you’d ever reach this point. But here you are. Better late than sorry, I guess.


Your status network has connected to the Stellar Transformative and advanced transcribe of the user’s subconscious aka The System.


Personal status can be viewed at the user’s discretion.
Note: Please take note not to show your personal information to anyone.


(.1) points were automatically distributed to your constitution. (.1) points were automatically distributed to your strength.


Skill has been gifted for analyzing the contents of the status.
Skill: Analyze acquired.
[With this skill you can analyze the contents of your status to your heart’s content.]


[Analyze][Tier-1][Lv-1/10][Active]
[You must have been wandering around the river of your status like a lost duckling. This one will guide you.]
[Use: speak the word Analyze, and repeat what you want to be analyzed.]


I had been trying to find something about the phenomenon, a spark I could work with, but what I got was more than just a little something. I got enough to build a fire that could easily burn me.

It was a scary change but was also a chance to ask the questions I had been holding back.

The moment we completed our shift I found myself a secluded place and started thinking. There were more than enough such places in the city. Even on the tenth floor, where I was at, there were tens of abandoned chambers. Some had been taken over by the elements and others couldn’t be finished because of impossible to navigate obstructions like giants rocks and dried roots to name some. I was inside one such chamber, palpitating with excitement and worry, looking at something unexplainable.

STATUS: 5-6-99

Level & Rank

1/10 [0]

Willpower

Low-Low

Endurance

12.5/13.4

Dexterity

Low-Low

Mana

0/8.4

Perception

Low-Low

Species

Ember Ant (Common)

Hardness

Low-Low

End Reg. (.4/hour)

Mana reg. (0/hour)

Calories

10/13.1

Stat gain/Level:
+.1 CONS, +.1 STR/ +.1 AGI

Strength

.9

Intelligence

1.5

Agility

.6

Wisdom

1.2

Charisma

0.0

Luck

0

Greed

42

Constitution

2.5

Titles:

Master of Greed, Loud mouthed Traitor, Royal Guard

Skills:

Sin

Greed(-)

Racial

Digging(5), I.C(1), Ant sense(3), Bite(2), Absorption(4), Pheromone Control(2), Climb(1), Tracking(3), Balance(3), Hibernation(1)

General

Universal Tongue(n/a), Breathing(3), Movement(3), Memory(3), Patience(5), Focus(5), Hygiene(7), Tenacity(1), Toughness(1), Anger(1), Sight(1), Roll(1), Dodge(1), Feather fall(1), Vigor(1), Examine(1),

Utility

Confusion(1), Map(1),Charge(1), Stab(1),

Resistance

Thermal(1), Poison(1), Acid(1), Charm(1), Stress(1), Strain(1), Mental Corruption(1), Overwhelm(1), Pain(1)

Mastery

Bare handed(1), Sharp Weapon(1)

 

It was a complicated piece, this thing called status. Something told me I should get accustomed to the sight for I would be seeing it fairly regularly. However, there were too many squiggles, too many characters, all too personal and bold.

It wasn’t the answer I was looking for. But it was something. Or was I asking the wrong questions? I would have to wait and see.

I calmed myself. I could worry and hurry or I could be patient and focused; I had to take one thing at a time. The latest squiggles had told me the skill or as I called it, the phenomenon called Analyze would help me figure out my problems. The next steps were easy to figure out.

The word skill was the first thing I analyzed because that’s what my sight was, a skill. It had been the most prominent of all. Many had come and gone, but none was quite like it.

Analyze: skill: Skills are your abilities, honed or acquired, by repetition or from knowledge. Every action that has affects you, another, or the environment can be a skill. Mostly categorized as General, Utility, and else. Training improves a skill, and hence its performance. Levels detail your mastery or proficiency over one. Lower tiered skills are easier to master compared to higher-tiered ones, but the reward also varies accordingly. Skills can be further categorized as passive and active once. Passive ones enhance you without order, whereas the active ones have to be active to earn the desired effect.

It listed important things, but none that answered my question. Therefore, I decided to try acquiring a skill before moving on to see how that process worked.

I had wanted to learn the aged warrior’s antennae whip since the first time she had slapped me with it. She had told me to use what I had, and I wanted it as my ability.

Nervous and excited, I moved my antennae-like her. At least I tried moving them that way. However, nothing happened. My antennae were stiff and weak compared to hers. She could whip them with force behind it to create a snap. It didn’t help that her antennae were of an odd length for an ant; they were aggressively huge.

The differences were many, but they weren’t enough to stop me. I knew I couldn’t whip, but I could at least flick them. When I flicked my antennae the notification appeared, just like that.


Nice flick, slick. I wonder what you are going to do with it. Show her your flick and brag, of course!
You have acquired a new skill: Antennae Whip.


[Antennae Whip][Tier-1][Lv-1/10][Active]
[It forces your antennae to move in such a way that the clubbed end strikes with a snap at the end of it.]
[Effect: Consumes .3 calories/ whip.]


I didn’t do much, but I got the skill. However, when I flicked there was no sound. Then I remembered that charge was a skill that I had to agree to use. I agreed to use the antennae whip.

Lo and behold, my antennae moved like something possessed. There was a whip and the unforgettable sound —that snap at the end— and also a sharp pain. The pain wasn’t important, but the knowledge that the phenomenon called the system could override my control and force action through me was worrisome. The whip was performed while in reality, I could barely flick my antennae.

I couldn’t think what to make of the system and its powers. What was it? An infection of the kind that slowly takes over your body, a tool made to subvert actual knowledge with a false promise that could be broken anytime, or just a method to facilitate further learning. Because if I was left to my devices I knew the whipping action would take me an unknown length of time to learn, but if I learned by following the actions of the skill, I would have a healthy learning chance, and an easier time than any teacher could provide.

So if I was to accept it, I would have a teacher that would more not just show me actions, but move me through them.

I decided to look further into the status before deciding anything.

Analyze: Endurance: Endurance is the limit of damage or abuse your body can take. Everything from walking to getting hurt takes endurance. You die when it reaches zero.
Analyze
: Strength: Strength is a physical attribute representing your physical ability. It affects the damage you deal and the hardness of your body. The upper limit of hardness depends upon your strength and constitution.

The word called attribute got my attention. I analyzed it, too.

Analyze: Attribute: Attributes are the representation of your qualities. Certain actions, prolonged training, and skill levels increase the value of your attributes, strengthening you as a whole being, and increasing your natural limits. Usually leveling up is the quickest way of increasing them, but training skill levels is also a highly sought out method of raising attributes.

Skills affected attributes. It meant the status was not just a record! It was also a means of improving the physical body beyond the natural limits. That is what I understood, and why I got excited. This explained why I could easily penetrate the termite’s exoskeleton when others had to force their way in!

I get stronger the more skills I have?

I didn’t know at the time how small I was thinking.

My heart thrummed. I hadn’t gotten this excited since I had found out that my method of digging was way superior to the others. But I didn’t lose my focus. It’s not bad to be excited about something, but my digging had led to much disappointment and resentment. For all my excitement this time could have been no different.

We will have to see. And to reach that place, I would have to accept it, which weighing the pros and cons was undoubtedly the better option.

I should ask others for help.

What others? My inner voice asked. Do you even have someone else you have been hiding? Are you talking about the princess? Yes she trusts you, but are you sure you want to share this thing with her, even though it might be dangerous?

I moved on. It went on and on until I was done with all of the words represented on the status. Surprisingly, analyzing status simply brought the panel to the front. The notifications had been coming and going free of my influence, to think I could also influence them made me feel good.

***

I left the chamber dazed, but highly impressed and also conflicted.

From what I had learned, the phenomenon that was called a status was not a natural thing. I had connected to it through the essence of Greed that was the hateful pebbled I had found. And that it could enhance my body. For what purpose or at what price, it didn’t say and I couldn’t figure.

I decided to remain vigilant, but also accept the phenomenon since it was already a part of me. The other annoying things could be dealt with in the future. Also, I needed the strength that was being promised.

I found Princess in the royal chambers, but I wasn’t allowed to go in. She was in distress, but not in mortal danger. I knew because I was her royal guard, and not just in name.

I left a message with the guard: I’ll be on the forty-first floor if you need me. She was dumbfounded upon hearing what I was admitting to but didn’t say anything otherwise.

I returned to the slave quarters with a bounce in my steps. I felt invigorated, empowered. There were pointed antennae and name-calling from the few soldiers training on the preceding floor, but no physical harassment. However, for the first time, their jeers felt like mere shackles they had lain to bind me. And they had no effect on me.

There were fewer wounded and recovering in the usually clamorous corridor that led to the crystal lit cavern. The pheromones in the air were also lighter, of worry and fear, rather than pain and death. It was an odd sight to witness.

Since all the slaves had been taken away as war resources I believed the crystal lit cavern at the end of the tunnel to be empty. But there were many bodies milling about, mostly workers, but here and there were a few soldiers resting or practicing.

I found the aged warrior sitting on the ledge. The young soldier, her apprentice, was moving in front of her. Many of the workers about were taking care of the fungus, but even the few present couldn’t hide how desolate the cavern looked. I was not used to the bustle that populated the cavern halls, but instantly knew the emptiness would be impossible to get familiar with.

I approached the aged warrior and she almost stood up upon seeing me.
You, she said then shook her head. She went deep into thoughts, contemplating something.
I heard what happened yesterday. The soldier said. Have to give it to you; you are pretty stubborn for someone your size.
There is no hesitation in you today. Something must have happened.
She said.
Of course, something happened! The kid got taken out by a termite! I can’t believe the humilia—

There was a loud snap and the soldier was limping around in a frenzy, cursing he aged warrior and calling her an old hag.

What did you realize? The aged warrior asked me, not paying attention to the soldier. Did you figure out your fourth lesson?
No. I said. That I haven’t figured out.
Then why are you here? She scented. I didn’t detect sarcasm from her. She was solemn, nostalgic. I did remember her saying she would be the first one to leave for the war if she could. But she was here and alone.
 
What happened last night was what had caused me to hesitate in the first place. I was afraid of being hated by the soldiers, but someone told me it didn’t matter. All that mattered was how I felt about what I was doing. Sure, the others might not be happy with my decision, but if I was happy then that was all that mattered.

She didn’t look surprised, so I whipped my antennae at her. She easily deflected but was astonished.

I don’t know what the fourth lesson is, I continued. But now I know that I have much more to learn. What I learned from you saved my life. I am sure that if it’s you, you can help improve my skills.
She looked at the soldier who clicked at her in annoyance and she busted out in amusement.

Kids always keep demanding for more. You want to learn how I can catch you sneaking up to me, and you want to hurt me don’t you? Then come let’s see how much abuse your young skeletons can take.

Ten minutes later, I was running around the aged warrior in circles, the soldier was in front of me, and we both wished to die.

What I believed was a figure of speech was her actual true intentions. She was really trying to break my skeleton.

She made me run with my lame leg and its opposite clenched up to the base of my thorax. She said it was easier to learn running with four legs instead of five. I don’t know where she was getting her information, but I had been getting around on five limbs just fine. This, however, was torturous.

It wasn’t easy holding the legs clenched, but running on top of it was painful. Worst was our supposed trainer who was hitting me every time I tried to stop. She was juggling between me and the soldier without breaking a sweat, while I was on the verge of breaking down. If this was the level of someone aged as her, I wondered what the battlefield looked like where thousands of warriors like her fought together.

She wanted us to dodge her tearing whips without looking at which we were failing spectacularly.

My mind was starting to wander, and I was hurting in the areas where it shouldn’t. There were a few skills that I had acquired, but I was dying there.

Why are you stopping? Is this it? Didn’t you beg me to teach you? Where did that fire go? She whirled her antennae at me, striking me the end of my sensitive bottom! My feet automatically picked up the pace. Since my antennae were not healing properly she wanted me to learn a different form of sense. Apparently, there was no better method of doing it than running for my life.

Do you sense anything yet?
No!
The Whip struck the top of my abdomen.
How about now?
NO!
It nicked my chest.
Do you like to get beaten up?
NO!
She made me trip. I fell hard and almost didn’t get up.
Are you giving up? Is this all you had to learn?
NO! I answered. I had to keep answering. The soldier already knew, but I learned the lesson of not answering her back the hard way.
She struck me in the head when I was getting up and faltered back to it.
Doesn’t the ground feel good? Don’t you want to sleep?
NO!
She took a step in. I felt her shift behind me. Something moved. It was fast and coming for my eye. I tried dodging, but I was tired and as a result too slow. The clubbed end of her antennae struck me fairly on the head and I went down to the ground again. However, thoughts erupted in my head instead of the usual cursing.

What was that?

The answer came in the form of a notification.


Lo and behold, he has now woken up to the senses of a soldier. Wait for it and he’ll be dumb like them too.
You have acquired sensitive hearing.


[Sensitive hearing][Tier-1][Lv-1/10][Passive][Racial]
[Antennae hair and feet together make the three advanced sensory organs of an ant. Every ant can use its antennae to sense and feet to sense, you have just opened to the new sense that is the combination of sensory information you receive from the vibration under your feet and the signals of your hair.]
[Effect: It allows you to sense your surroundings.]
[Reward: Your Wisdom and Intelligence increases by .1 points every skill level.]


Then I felt it again. It was a feeling akin to being poked, an alarming sensation. I rolled forward on impulse. The snap came from my previous position and I knew I had made the right decision. I steadied myself and got back on my feet, facing her. I was learning to roll, instead of letting the system push my body through the motions. It was an awkward maneuver to perform, but I was getting better at it.

The aged warrior had stopped moving, antennae hanging freely in front of her face. The soldier by her side was equally perplexed. They still hadn’t gotten over the rolling. They called it un-ant-like.

You got the feeling, did you not?
I nodded.
Keep on to the feeling. Let’s keep practicing so you don’t forget the sensation.  

Wait, what happened? He got hit, how is that a success?

Stop complaining you smelly brat. Move your body, not your mind if you want to learn something, too. You have been at this thing for the past three days; about time your blasted bottom received a whipping. She moved to hit him as he pulled back. But something caught her attention and went past him. Go play with each other. She scented. I’m too tired.

***

Finally, I faltered. Nothing was left in me. I got up to eat the fungus, but the soldier stopped me.

You don’t want to eat that.
Why? I asked.
Right now you only have an odor of the fungus on you. It will disappear with time. However, you eat that thing and you’ll be one of us. I got up to rebuke him, but then he said something that didn’t make much sense. And there is no place in society for those who eat that.

Weren’t the slaves promised life if they returned alive?

Yes. He said and left me. I asked him to stop but he didn’t listen. It was a worrying behavior, but I was too tired to worry about someone else. I fell asleep.

It was high noon when I left the cave. By this time our soldiers would have reached the city and started fighting the termites.

The scouts had returned baring news from the neighboring cities. The help was being sent. There was also news of a scout from the 43rd city on way to the city.

 As the chief, the commander had ridden out with force, leaving the city to the government, which was basically a committee made of the various department heads. One of them was the head of the treasury who announced the need for immediate recovery of the food wasted on the war effort.

Harvesters were to ride and bring back food to fill the empty treasury.

It had slept but my mind was still wandering. It was in this drunken stupor that I collided with someone. He was a winged male, a royal captain, steering a team of the harvester on a mission to gather food.

Be careful. He said and started walking. I knew him. He was the one who had led the team to the mountain region, the one that had found the termites. Something came over me as I blocked his path and scented out louder than I was expecting to. Honestly, I’m glad I did it.

Captain, I called. Can you get us to 47th city?

Made a few changes to the 2nd chapter. Removed the status form there and nerfed Greed. Now it doesn't give a point on level up or a point in wisdom.

 

5