Ch-5: Secrets
260 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Princess Tiny —that’s what she told me to call her— took me to someplace familiar. We went down to the twenty-sixth floor and took a left into the newly furbished artery, widened for heavy multi-way traffic. It was empty. The workers were away enjoying the feast and she was not yet a Queen. The floor would burst teeth life, both new and old, once she took command and started laying eggs.

This was the expressway built to connect the secondary queen’s chamber with the main city. I couldn’t grasp the idea of having two queens. It was something unprecedented. Who will have command? I casually asked but she was solemn in her reply.

I won’t be queen.
She said.

It felt like I had peeled a mask off her face. An eagerness for adventure, that’s what I had taken from her during our internal connection. And pressure, a burden eating away her mind. To say I didn’t want to pry the answers out of her would be wrong, but I didn’t dare do that. I didn’t believe she would like a stranger meddling in her affairs.

Queen had ordered me to advise and protect, with a heavy emphasis on the latter.

However, I didn’t think it was my place to do that and neither did I want to dissuade my relation with her. I perfectly remembered being excluded from the workers union for trying to change the tradition of digging with a unique idea. So call it selfish if you may, I decided to remain her guard until I was sure she needed the emotional help of someone lower in popularity than a glow bug.

Although most of the workers were away to the feast, there were still a few worker ants roaming or power napping in the tunnel. They would wake up anytime and start working again. That’s the life of a worker. Eat, shit in a corner, worker till you start feeling dozy, rest a minute, and repeat the cycle.

We soon reached the junction where the Princess was attacked and I had my accident.

You were dead silent, you understand? Princess Tiny suddenly scented. You had not a single spark of life left in you.
She stopped in her tracks, turned, and touched my chest where the crazy worker had grabbed me in her mandibles. There was not a single blemish there, much less a wound.

She had sheared your chest open, making you freely bleed. You were cold to the touch when I finally got to you. The sergeant announced you dead and I believed. She took her antennae away, keeping our contact with scents, showing her control and strength over pheromones. Yet, you are here, standing tall and following me, no longer a worker but someone much higher in the ranks than even a sergeant. Did you think your life would take this turn?

That was a question she had deliberately asked me. I might have stumbled had she asked my advice on a matter, but I did have an answer to this question.
No. I told her. I was sure to be forced into slavery, to be sent off to war somewhere. I had no doubt. Yet, I am here, beside you Princess Tiny, as your royal guard. It is something I don’t even know the meaning of. I am scared, so scared of letting you down, but also excited. I can’t thank you enough for your help.

She tapped my head. Don’t be silly now. You have thanked me enough by saving me, and not once but twice. I can’t help believing that if you are around, you just might save me from my fate, too.

Her scents were heavy. They didn’t float in the air for long, before dropping down and getting absorbed by the dirt. That’s why I didn’t understand what she meant. The scents were something I couldn’t hope to recreate. My lone attempt had driven a soldier to confusion, causing her to go into a frenzy. I considered it a result worse than failure.

You are early Princess. The sergeant noticed us first. He stood at the end of the dark junction connecting the two locations. This was where I had… died. That part was official now. There was no doubt about it.

The sergeant was nonchalant toward the princess. I could understand that. I had been like him until yesterday. I suppose she was so far apart from us workers that there could never be any other sort of emotion between us unless forced or of opportunistic nature. My relation with her was neither; it was born from an accidental.

His antennas stopped at me for a few seconds longer than needed. He could clearly read my passport and the Princesses stamp. What astonished him was my personal scent. The one he had sensed going out and cold. I had only bought time against the worker. He was the one who had really made the difference between her life and death.

His antennas stiffened straight when he finally remembered me. He was surprised to find me alive. Just like Princess Tiny had been.
How are you alive? He asked.
I have no idea, was my answer, but I had more than just an idea behind my apparent resurrection. Still, I knew revealing the notifications would do me no good. For all, I knew it could be a sickness! I truly didn’t want to be thrown out of the city right after being accepted. I didn’t dare.

They talked about the progress and the sergeant told her the floor would be ready in two weeks. It was a large space to dig and the progress was slow because Princess Tiny had been approved only a limited number of workers by the labor association. Yes, there was a labor association that kept note of pending work and new projects and efficiently distributed workers to them.

Although the sergeant talked to the princess he did keep one of his free antennae on me, afraid I would follow my predecessor and let loose.

Don’t worry. Princess Tiny assured him. He’s mine now. The sergeant shuddered visibly at being called out like that, something we both noticed. I was as surprised as him that she said it, but also couldn’t help feel some pride.

Princess turned to face me, touched my antennae, and asked: you worked here, didn’t you? So how about a tour? The sergeant tried to stop her, but she was already walking down the tunnel before he could do anything. She, I had noticed, was stubborn like that, and didn’t care much for others opinions. I followed behind her unconditionally and the sergeant could only follow us. He wouldn’t leave a fertile member of the royal caste alone in an area under his jurisdiction. Not after his last security blunder.

There were some workers working, digging away at the solid wall, and building a pile of waste to take out at a later time. And then there was the tunnel I had dug up. It was long and they still hadn’t gotten to where I had left it — yesterday! They were just too lazy. I was sure those sisters were only here because they were behind on their daily quota. The sergeant might not care for the mean or the method, but he surely did care for the end result. He could be strict if he wanted. Why else would the soldiers have dragged that crazy worker out, if not for his order?

Who dug that? Princess Tiny asked the sergeant who instantly started thinking and staring at me. I was sure he believed I had complained to her about the process — like I was that petty. There was no way he would have thought my association with Princess Tiny being out of any other reason. Strict, and strong, but also dumb. He would have made captain a long time ago if he could think for himself.

He did. The sergeant gave up and told the princess when her antennae started waving about. I later asked him why he gave in so easily, and he told me the waving antennae were a sign of her impatience; something he had learned over the days.

Princess was generally impressed, going as far as to say she had never heard of my method before. But the difference also infuriated her. The tunnel I had dug was three times as deep as one dug by another. The workers had managed to close the distance to a mere five ant lengths, but they had taken a whole extra day to get there.

I want you to call the workers here, right now. She told the sergeant, which turned into a stern order when he tried to make excuses.

After a few tense minutes, the workers started trickling in, antennae flailing and heads churning. They were not happy. Princess Tiny ignored their impatient scents and directly cut to the crust of the matter. Explain. She scented antennas pointing at the tunnel. Many noticed my presence as their antennae moved in my direction. They were brazen and bold, but not stupid. None complained.

Had they listened to me this wouldn’t have happened. Now they were paying for it. The sergeant included. I enjoyed their situation very much until Princess Tiny decided to include me in the mess, too. Once again, without asking for my opinion, she made me the supervising leader of the site. Meaning, the sergeant would work under me —until the site was completed that is; she didn’t have the authority to make my misery permanent and that was the only good news. She called it my first job, to watch over the workers who now hated me. This was neither a promotion nor a form of protection.

He’ll be acting in my place. Think of him as you think of me. And listen to him. Understood?
Of course, the workers, the ex-soldiers, and the old laborers-diggers-miners understood. I was sure they were already planning to dig me a hole and dump me in it. They knew the city better than me, and most likely had a few places where no one would look for a missing disabled ant. Maybe she thought I wasn’t hated enough already?

My life changed at that moment. And a notification from my mysterious watcher finalized that change.


You just had to do it, huh? Couldn’t keep your voice down and leave the others in peace. You had to screw them before leaving for good. But Society doesn’t work that way, kid. You better understand this before it’s too late.
You have acquired a new Title: Loud-mouthed Traitor


[Loud Mouthed Traitor][Title]
[You have been officially excluded from the worker's unions for speaking behind their backs.]
[Effect: Every worker will know of your deed. Your status has turned unfavorable with the worker caste of all ant species.]


A title was something new. Although I had thought of trying to understand the mystery behind the notifications, I didn’t feel well enough to try that now. Not after this magnificent blunder.

The workers weren’t happy. It was clear from the collective scent of alarm they released. The scent calling me a traitor was growing strong. I told the sergeant to diffuse the crowd and send them back to work. He did hesitate but followed through. To think I would have to look after them daily until the construction was complete… I really wished to complain, but I was neither bold nor brazen. Just thinking about the task gave me the chills. Here, the old ex-soldiers ruled. The workers union was their brainchild.

The workers weren’t completely sold on the idea of dampening solid dirt with water for digging, but even forced, they did as they were told and the work progressed at a visible rate. No, really. Working in the dark narrow space makes you lose hold of time, but seeing the hundreds of workers moving in the space, scratching damp dirt, create a pellet out of it, and rushing up and out the colony was an exciting sight to see, even if blurred and hazy.

Why did you do it? I asked the princess. The sergeant had to work the workers so we were the only ones left standing, giving me a chance to vent.

Didn’t you regret not being able to prove the effectiveness of your method and being excluded by the workers union? Princess Tiny told me. It was the strongest emotion I felt from the internal connection you forced upon me, right before the sadness over losing the mandible and its consequence buried it down.

I really leaked everything during the I.C, didn’t I?

You would have been killed if you hadn’t. Consider it a part of your compensation for saving my life, if you will.

This time I was not sold on the idea and she sensed it. I decided to work on my scents along with the notifications. My lack of control was turning ridiculous. It was hard to believe I hadn’t noticed it until now.

I didn’t understand what she meant by compensation, but I dropped my head and antennae to her feet regardless, similar in manner to the ritual of accepting help from a caretaker, but with more respect and gratitude.

She accepted my gratitude with a tap of antennae on my head, and I stood straight beside her.

It didn’t take the workers long to figure out the gist and the guts of my digging method, but the older of the ex-soldiers kept nudging me when passing by, showing their discomfort. It wasn’t long after when princess Tiny poked my chest and asked me to come along.

Where to now? I asked and she gave a surprising answer.

Now, I have to – we have to visit the commander.

I stopped right in my tracks. By commander do you by any chance mean the brightest ember after our respected queen? I asked. The one who has led the most charges against enemy forces in the history of the Kingdom; the only who protected us against the wandering army and made them turn back; who is also nicknamed ‘the coal’, for he’s always smoldering with anger! Are we talking about the same ant!

He sure is popular, She amused.

I didn’t know about her, a fertile female of the royal caste, but I, a worker of the lower caste, and now a disabled, would never have been allowed to visit the thirty-sixth floor where the headquarters was. And as for meeting the commander… let’s just say that the idea alone was scary enough, much less the apparent execution of it. But Princess Tiny had made up her mind.

W-will it be alright?
What do you mean?
She scented and I notice that we were already inside the elevator shaft leading directly to her destination. I had lapsed. I hurried with the explanation, heart racing.

I meant, won’t the commander find me offensive.
Because…
I am a worker.
I said and she nodded as if that was all the explanation she needed. She didn’t wait for me to elaborate.
You can stay back if you want. She playfully said, and abruptly broke our connection.

I was taken aback. That is not a place for someone like you. A little voice spoke in my head. Don’t follow her. Go dig a tunnel or something. The voice was cranky and sarcastic and everything I needed to remind me that I was no longer a worker. I was no longer a worker. The truth was harder to accept than the rejection of my digging idea.

Princess might have told me to stay behind, but it wasn’t even a choice. I was her guard. Queen had ordered me to stick with her, protect, and advise her — and that meant following her wherever she went.

I easily caught up to her in the shaft, even with my one lame leg, when the traffic was light and there was ample room for everyone to move about. The realization was a tense one.
She had waited for me. The gesture gave me some confidence. It was a quiet trek down the shaft when we started walking again. The shaft was loud enough with banter and hurry, but we didn’t have another scented conversation until we reached the end of the shaft.

That’s where she touched my antennae and advised me.
There’s nothing wrong with being afraid. Everyone is afraid of something. But you can’t let fear control your actions. You let it do it once and it’ll come around to haunt you during an important decision. I understand your worry, the shackles society has put on you, but you are not a worker anymore. Break free.

14