Silver fang: 5
68 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An alarm was spreading in the air. The protocol demanded a soldier to call for help upon encountering an invader. There was a caterpillar on the loose in the area under Silver’s supervision. It was only a matter of time before groups from the nearby areas gathered to stake claim over the catch in the name of help. A soldier hurriedly arrived carrying the news of their encounter. Red was at the site and the situation was under control. They had learned early how important it was for a captain to be present at the site. The lesson had cost them a caterpillar, and everything to their opponents.  

Silver sped up, leaving the soldier behind. They had divided work. Silver was to handle the invaders and Red was to find a way to the center of the green wonder, legally. The last bit was important because there was no way for them to force their way through the hundreds and thousands of soldiers protecting the farm.

Yes, they had successfully infiltrated the farm and had even received a place to protect. Yes, they were each allowed a drop of honeydew every day. But everyone on the outer perimeter of the farm enjoyed the same benefits or the lack-there-of them. The drop of honeydew was nothing; it could barely even provide a rush of energy. Well, at least it was sweet.

And they had to get their own food —hence the intense competition over the invaders. The alliance of eight different ant cities, it sounded nice to hear but the reality was much different and dirty. There was a war going between the different groups and everyone wanted to profit.

The plants on the farm were connected to each other through the leaves. Some leaves were big enough to overlap one another, and others were glued together with a mixture of dirt and saliva, creating bridges in the process. The alliance soldiers used these bridges to get around; his way was more romantic. He jumped from the end of the leaf he was occupying and dropped atop of another a distance away. The leaves were too small, too young to bridge the gap.

The plants were connected, but the bridges were not all on the same plane. Some were on the upper levels of the plants and others were below, needing one to climb up and down, wasting time and effort. Sometimes you could see the invaders eating though the young plants, but couldn’t get to them in time because of the overly convoluted passages.

His group of slaved were using this delay in response to snatch every invader they could find. It wasn’t out of greed, but Red’s proposal to get the authorities' attention, and small revenge for stealing from them. Their destination was the tower at the center of the farm, not the outskirts.

As they stood, the bridges acted more like a measure to keep the soldiers moving, to keep them from growing lazy.

Maneuverability was the key. And his workers were busy taking care of that problem. They had already connected five of the fifteen plants under his supervision to one another; another day, and they would have the whole area connected and battle-ready.

One would assume the thousands of soldiers must have been gathered to protect some really obscene secret, but it was nothing like that. There was no secret to be found at the farm, only small green parasitic ticks called aphids that sucked the plant marrow and produced honeydew.

Yes, the small (merely two ant head large) creatures produced the universally favored honeydew.

They were clustered at the various plant nodes in small bunches of five to larger coalitions of thirty. Silver found the creatures funny.
They were so dependent on ants to keep them safe that they only move for a shepherdess to when a shepherdess arrives to take them to the tower. A prey that didn’t run and protectors that never arrived on time, it was no wonder the caterpillars frequently visited the outer regions.

Silver could see a soldier waiting behind one, tapping its back with her antennae. A clear drop slowly grew larger from its anus, which the soldier drank and left. That was honeydew —not otherworldly nectar as its sweetness suggested, but the aphids dropping.

Some members of his group claimed they were better off when they didn’t know the truth. Red in turn exclaimed at the importance of coexistence that the farm put on the display. He claimed the army would have decimated the whole place and moved on, not stopping to understand its true worth (These were his exacts words).

His soldiers were already wrapping up the fight when Silver arrived at the area under attack. They were up against a giant caterpillar that fashioned some very aggressive colors and patterns upon its body. The thick spikes jutting from the entre of its back were no playthings either, but his group of slaved knew how to deal with these large and fluffy packets of meat.

The caterpillar was held almost glued to the leaf and was being shredded into pieces as he approached closer.

There were other groups, gathered outside the boundary of his area, feverishly watching his soldiers at work. Antennae erect, some zealously waited for a call of help so they could ask for a portion of the caterpillar in return, while the group that directly shared their eastern border was releasing anger. His group might have an easy time filling their abdomens, but these groups usually needed help of multiple neighbors, thinning their meals in the process. So there was a heavy competition over the bugs and critters that sometimes raided the plants. They were only brazen because help usually never arrived at time.

The leader of their eastern neighbor, a group of dirt ants —pale, yellow, and small— was in one-sided discussion with captain Red.

That belongs to us.
She was passively complaining from the other side of the border. It was in ‘our’ territory! Which she didn’t dare cross.  

It ‘is’ clearly in ‘our’ territory. Red commented in passing. He was juggling his attention between the workers narrowing the gap between two leaves with a dead leaf they had fetched from the ground, the soldiers fighting the beast, and the angry neighbor. It was actually a compliment in itself that even under the burden he had commented.

But you took it from us! One of mine reported seeing—

Leader, Red released out loud. That was his indication to the opportunists and the troublemakers to get on their way. The yellow ant was the first to scurry far, but she didn’t leave for good and neither did the others. They seemed to be expected something, which was a cause of concern. Red wondered if he’ll have to ask Silver to show-off his strength once again. No, that would do no good. Silver needed to be kept as a deterrent against aggression, and that would only work if he was kept as a mysterious figure.

Silver stopped beside the caterpillar that had coiled in defense to protect its life. Red stopped everything and stood behind him. Are you having any trouble? He asked. Red shook his antennae. The onlookers were still not leaving.
Well, they weren’t trying anything either.

None
, he answered.
Silver touched his antennae for more private communication. It was not a foolproof method, as it was hard to contain the chemicals from spreading, but that was not a problem for Silver. The pheromones listened to him. Red had never heard of someone with such precise control over the scents. It was just one of the reasons Red respected him.

And how is ‘our’ mission progressing? Have you found a way to get us closer to the tower?
I am still asking around. Give me some time. The others don’t like us much, you see. Maybe the shepherdess would know something.

Speak of the devil. The shepherdess, that frail leafcutter ant who was the complete opposite of Green was approaching. Tagging her was a whole group of giant black jawbreaker ants, the same kind that the merchants had followed to the depths of the tower, where they had taken perch and forgotten about them. There was still no news of those slippery snails. Well, the merchants only promised them entrance to the farm, which they had fulfilled. The rest depended upon them. They were most likely waiting in the tower, sipping honeydew day and night, enjoying their stay.

Red noticed the excitement rising from the onlookers. They surprisingly seemed to have been waiting for her arrival. He couldn’t figure out the reason but told Silver about his findings just to be sure.

There were ten of those big black giants, and they didn’t stop for the shepherdess to get Silver’s permission. They went straight to pick up the pieces of the caterpillar that the slaved had prepared for them. Both sides were already accustomed to the trade.

The jawbreakers were also one of the eight members of the alliance and worked as the defenders of the tower.

Silver would need to get through a whole bunch of them if he wanted to have any chance at robbing the place. And if he was to make anything out from the fire burning in the eyes of his slaved, they were ready to pounce at his order. Not yet. It still wasn’t time.

The shepherdess approached Red but stumbled on the way upon noticing Silver standing behind him. She had grown to fear him since he had fought a caterpillar alone and killed it. Not only her, but others were also starting to fear him for the feat.
I have… the caterpillar; she pointed a trembling antenna toward the carcass only to notice that the jawbreakers were already tracing their steps back to the tower with the caterpillar in tow. She had called them for her protection! Where were they going leaving her alone? She almost ran away but froze when Silver put his attention upon her.

Red enjoyed her company exactly because of her awkwardness.

Lurching and shaking she continued. This makes it your ten-tenth offering to the tower. Th-this completes your quota to defend the outer perimeter. She continued, nervousness giving way to fear and dread. This was an opportunity that every shepherdess waited and dreaded at the same time.

The groups banished to the outer regions rarely ever managed the quota of ten invaders between sharing the prize with their helpers and feeding.

According to tradition —she barely released— those who have proved themselves in the outer perimeter of the farm can move inwards toward the densely populated areas for a better stipend of honeydew and—
let’s go. Silver interrupted.

She was taken back. The inner region was a dangerous place that was under constant threat by creatures of various strengths. There was no group that willingly agreed to work there! There had even been cases of shepherdesses being hurt for giving the news. She had cried in her chamber before coming out today, and even said farewells to her friends. This group of mismatched ants was far too scary. She was sure to be taken hostage at the very least.

Let’s hear her first, leader. Red scented, barely controlling his excitement. She must have more to tell us. He decided to observe caution. Their neighbors couldn’t be excited just because they were being sent to the inner region right? He wondered how they would react if they knew the situation was exactly what his group desired.

The shepherdess looked around. They had even created bridges! According to her friends, personal bridges were the first sign when a group expected to stay for a long time at the outer regions.

Inner regions are dangerous. There are many bugs hiding there in plain sight that mimic our behavior. Of course, there are benefits befitting the danger. She read the memorized lines one after another without a single fumble. She wanted to get through them as quickly as she could. This was the part where the groups usually grow cold feet. Your group will receive five drops of honeydew and one free meal each every day—

That’s enough. Silver interrupted. Shall we leave now? 
Yes? But why what about the bridges and your reputation here?
What about them? Silver asked. While Red observed.

He was very interested in the shock circulating among his neighbors. They expected drama, not for them to agree so easily. Even the shepherdess looked lost for words. The onlookers were starting to whisper. Most were simply relieved that they were finally leaving. It had only been a day, but the caterpillars they had caught could have easily fed ten groups for a few days. BY offering them to the tower they had basically taken away their food. No wonder they were relieved.

Nothing, the shepherdess scented, growing relieved. Wasn’t this way too easy? There was bound to be a catch! She expected the silver monster —but even monsters couldn’t kill a caterpillar all alone— to throw some demands her way, but he was far too nonchalant. Did he not care about his safety or at least the safety of those under him? Well, the rugged group didn’t look like they were in any need of help. But still! What about the warnings, and the stories?

Who asks for hardship? Who asks for challenges? They are maniacs. She decided. Well, shouldn’t she be happy? They had already agreed. She only needed to make it official and she would be enjoying a bigger stipend for herself and an additional percentage of honeydew for her city.
She grew pensive. What if this group made it to the tower to protect the stores? She shook her head to uproot the through. That was in simple words… impossible.

Red was mused to see their neighbors celebrating their leave. The slaved thought they were congratulating them and waved their antennae in response. They had experienced a similar change in reputation in the army. It’s better this way. He decided.

The plants grew lush and green the deeper they went. Silver could see proper plants at a distance rather than the young sprouts of the outer region. The age difference between the plants had created a fictional boundary separating the two regions.

Red’s antennae buzzed with excitement. He was also taking the nearby scents to create a better picture of his surroundings.

A long straight bridge of leaves made the last stretch of the divide between the inner and the outer regions. This area was fairly populated by both soldier and aphid population, compared to the perimeter. The bridge looked proper and cared for. It alone was a big step up from the outer circuit where the bridges were sparse and convenience was non-existent.

The movement of their group was causing a small commotion. Heads were turning to see the unfortunate being forced into the gate to hell.

There was a check post in the middle of the bridge, noticeable from its dirt construction. Manned by mere four black jawbreakers, the check post was neither to allow nor bar entrance.

Their shepherdess asked Silver to stay at a distance and took charge. She approached the guards and released trace amounts of a pheromone that was unique in its demanding way. It was the only way of communicating with the jawbreakers. They did not understand complex signals.

Once the guard nodded she confidently gestured the group to approach. Finally away from the group, she felt safe again.

Silver was the first to cross. What does the pheromone do? He asked as one of the four touched his back. He surprisingly showed no reaction to being touched, which she found very unnerving. They were jawbreakers! They were known for their inability to regulate strength when biting; hence their name: the jawbreakers.
Oh, she had turned and almost ran back the first time she had seen one of the giants.
No.
It was pointless to compare her with the monster.
He had killed a monstrous caterpillar alone. Why would he fear a mere jawbreaker? Even considering that was a mistake on her part.

It’s a temporary passport.
She plainly answered, which he casually accepted.

The plants were finally starting to show their age near the end of the bridge. They were huge and multileveled with at least ten levels to them. There was another check post at the end of the bridge; this one was actually protected by only one ant, a large-headed mountain ant.

They are known for their loud scents. The shepherdess scented as if that explained everything.  

Past it was the inner region, and it definitely looked like someplace a soldier should strive for.
The plants there were greener and taller. Red counted seven stories above his head. It was dark inside, however. The bridges, though complete, also blocked sunlight. Soldiers milled about without worries of boundaries. There was an explosion in the aphid population; hundreds could be seen sticking on the plants, filling their abdomens without stopping.

There was enough sweetness in the air to send the slaved on a euphoric trip down the memory lane. Red worried that this environment would be a bad influence on the soldiers; Silver disagreed.  

The solders grew denser. And so did the sweet scent. It was an inviting place for any critter. Silver agreed with that statement. No wonder it was also more dangerous.

Most of the soldiers showed no interest to them. They seemed disinterested even.

The shepherdess took them westward.
This is the region you will be protecting. There are no actual boundaries, but if you are found loitering when your region is under attack it will affect your whole group. So you all better take care.

The shepherdess was explaining when a pheromone in the air got her attention, and of everyone else around.

The scent was riding the wind from the North, bringing along the message of danger and an immediate need for backup. The scent contained no other details and was so thin it wasn’t clear whether the backup was still needed or not.

Soldiers were breaking away from the group all around them to respond to the alarm. They were gathering together into a small mass, ready to march off in the direction of the scent. The oldest soldier had taken the role of a leader.

Can I join? Silver asked and the shepherdess could only agree. There was no reason to stop him. However, that didn’t stop her heart from getting restless.

Will he be alright?
Worry about the others if you have to. Red scented and asked her to take them to their destination. He’ll be alright. Red added, much to persuade himself as her. Nothing can happen to him until he finds the one he has been looking for.

She believed him.

3