Ch-25: We are Family
72 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Let’s land there.

I found it confusing that all the females I had met did things on their own terms. Just where were the normal ones who liked to follow and do as told? Perhaps it was their way of retaliation against the rule that only Royal males were allowed to lead a company. I was onto something, for sure.

The finders lead. It’s as simple as that. And it’s her hunt.
Barry told me and added his biased opinion on top of it like a garnish.

Bella gingerly landed atop her chose the place, the star-shaped leaf of a green flowerless weed. It was the only of its kind, growing unrelated midst refreshing flowers of multiple colors, as far as I could see. The leaf wasn’t wide, but they were plenty and long; its odor pungent.

The plant will hide our odor and us.
She explained without being asked. The beetle has a strong sense of smell. It won’t land if it caught even a whiff of your scent in the air. As a wasp she obviously knew the tendencies of her prey, there was nothing wrong with that.

And we waited.

The time was early enough that the grass below was still wet with dew, though the sky had already grown light. It was a clearing in the middle of the forest and we were on an adventure. Correction: She was on a hunt and we were simply tagging along. She didn’t need us. I believed she had an agenda in bringing us along, and I wasn’t wrong.

Barry hovered atop the leaf and dropped me, then landing right behind Bella, shuffling on the way down.
I’m like a flying caterpillar. He jabbed, but it was clear as the sky above that his handicap was causing him some annoyance. His once funny comments were starting to smell of light sarcasm. Neither Bella, nor Barry himself had noticed it yet, but it was true that he had difficulty controlling his body.

Weren’t you going to help me find my way back? Can’t you find something once you have helped me?
You want me to find something to lay eggs on the way? Are you stupid? Where will I find another beetle like this one?
Suddenly, she dropped the conversation to concentrate on our surroundings. She vibrated her antennae to filter the finer molecules and licked the ends to taste what she had caught.
It’s coming. She announced and warned us against unneeded movements. Hide, and don’t move a hair; I’ll have to deposit my eggs inside you both if it escaped. It’s nearby.

We both males, unsure and bewildered at her warning, did as were told. Her ovipositor was as much a threat as the beetle. For all I knew, she had already deposited eggs inside my body and was only acting to care because we were her investments. No one would want their children to die before they are even born, right?

The droning of the beetle was not quite anything like the buzzing of a bee or a hornet for that matter. It was scary and drowning, heavy and oppressive. I felt it with my body, and so did Barry.

No. Barry gave his verdict, but Bella had her eyes set and antennae watching.
Yes. Just remember the plan and everything will be alright.
I didn’t think so. The Beetle had just entered my range of sight and I was not pleased with what I was seeing. I hated the situation more and more the closer approached.

We can’t distract that!
Barry said, pointing an antenna at the big black giant armored flying rock with a horn that was approaching us with a drone that had drowned all activity nearby.
Oh, I’m sure you will more than distract it. She scented, sizing him from top to bottom. It was the worst time for a joke, but I wasn’t going to tell her that.

The droning intensified as the beetle approached, reaching the peak when it flew over our head. We silently watched it passed by and lowered itself to the ground in front of its burrow.
Thick armored legs, armored back, armored face, armored abdomen, a horn, even its underbelly was armored.
That’s a beetle? I asked, dazed beyond belief. Even Barry squirmed in resignation.

Yes. We’ll be hunting that today. It was amusing how confidently she said it like it was just another day for her. Sure she had upped the ante by choosing to hunt the beetle rather than, let’s say, a spider —but up there between the leaves, hiding and stalking and waiting for her chance, she was in her zone.

She was challenging herself, the same way a worker would by deciding to dig out the pebble blocking its way instead of going around it.

That thing has more armor than it has skin.
Of course, my babies will have the best foundation.
There is a difference between a foundational and a whole shading mountain! How many eggs are you planning to hatch at once?
One hundred, Bella answered proudly.
That’s impossible. You can only lay ten eggs at a time, at most.
I know. But a girl can dream, right? And who said I need to lay the eggs all at the same time?

Barry decided to end it there. She had already decided.

One hundred eggs meant one hundred more wasps roaming the shade to parasitize other beings, including ants. A shudder went through me. She needed dissuading instead of help. The world was surely going to need a savior sooner or later. Well, not me. My claws were already full and, who in their right mind would try to stop her? I was repeating myself.

That hungry quiver that overtook her abdomen said she was hunting the beetle at all costs, and I needed her help to get back. So yes, when she signaled me to start my act I rushed down the plant like the helpless victim of a deranged predators abuse, which was not far from the truth.

Even on the ground, the beetle flapped its wings, creating a draft that pushed at me, halting my progression. Up close it looked like a rock, really. It gleamed in the sunlight. I honestly couldn’t find a single place that wasn’t covered in that black hard skeleton.

It was a flower in full bloom and I was a still-growing bud. That was the only comparison I could make as things stood.
A buzzing came from behind me. I’m going to catch you. It playfully meant. The beetle stirred into action ahead of me.

Help! I released, even though it wasn’t going to understand me. I did it more out of habit than need. It had no antennae, so releasing pheromones was pointless.
The beetle ignored me, and I bumped into its back end to see if that gets me attention; it did not. The buzzing came again. Where are you hiding? It was said playfully. Hurry up.
The latter was meant for me. Bella must have been growing anxious.

Out of option, I charged at one of its legs, because they were the only visible place not covered in armor. A charging head butt got its attention but also rang my head like an empty cocoon. The force from my action rippled inside its body, causing it to lift up the affected leg and give out a low warning hum.

It slowly turned toward me —too slowly. That was a weakness, alright. I made a record of it in my memory, so I wouldn’t forget. You never know when it might come to use. Memory was a skill. Its use was exactly what I had mentioned above. It gave me the ability to keep records, both visual and sensory, so I wouldn’t forget. It was a surprisingly nice skill, though it didn’t have much use other than that.

It watched me as I rushed underneath it. There was ample space for me to hide there even though the beetle squat low on the ground. I was hiding from my superficial chaser: an act that Bella had created to distract the being.
Barry arrived not too late, buzzing with a fanfare.

They talked in the language of bugs. I could understand but had no way to convey my thoughts. Thankfully, both my companions had antennae. I couldn’t even begin to think where I would be at this point in time without them. Sure they were eccentric and both had their quirks, but inside they were warm and caring, even more so than real siblings.

You are hiding something that belongs to the mighty Bezonian of bezzindroid Spires. Barry repeated in pompous aggression, which brought amusement out of me. Return it or you will face my wrath. My army is hiding nearby, just so you know.
Take it.
Well, that didn’t work. The nonchalance threw Barry off the loop. The beetle was moving again; surprisingly, limping on the leg I had struck.
What now? The scent rained around me and I decided to take things into my hands, as Bella had demanded; or I could have the egg implanted in me. I wasn’t so stocked about the latter option.

I hooked my claws around the leg it limped with and started stabbing with my one sharp mandible. The leg might not be armored, but it was thick and strong; I couldn’t penetrate or hurt it in any way. Still, the plan worked, the beetle was annoyed. It shook the leg, hoping that would take me out. I had iron claws; no way was I letting go so easily.

Annoying the beetle was really fun for some reason. I was worried, but not scared. I was more fearful of its armor than off slipping and getting squashed. I didn’t realize it, but something had changed inside me. Somehow, I had become more brazen and confident, both of which were very un-ant like.

However, it soon became apparent that clinging to its leg was a bad idea. It wasn’t producing any real result. Results are the most important. If efforts weren’t giving results then either the method was wrong or I wasn’t pushing harder. In my case, it was the former. My presence was too meager to really put the beetle in a bind. I needed to act courageously, to act recklessly. The situation demanded me to stop worrying. I had two formidable friends to help me. They would save me if push came to shove. This was my chance to prepare for the day I might have to fight a beetle with real consequences on the line. I already knew that it had trouble turning, what else I find out would help shrink the differences between us.

Reckless courage activated. I looked up and started climbing. From the joint, it was a straight path, a much easier journey. My destination was its back, but I coincidently saw a gap between the armor where its head was connected to the chest. Its neck was unprotected!

See! Courage was opening my options. Currently, I lacked the capability to hurt it, but tomorrow, a month later, after my other skills had evolved to tier-2 like Greed, who knows, I might have the strength to win against the same beetle.

But it didn’t stay silent. The beetle buzzed and started flapping its wings. I almost fell when it jumped up to gain elevation. I barely held to a spike that was extending from its armor and heaved back onto its thigh. It was armored, at least on the upper portion and slippery; so I had to be extra careful not to slip off. I wondered how much it weighted. Obviously the answer was, less than the bird, the frog and all those nasty not insects, and more than me. But the beetle was different; it was one of us. All the armor could have easily been on my or Barry’s or Bella’s bodies. Maybe there was a skill—

Hold that train of thoughts, I have something to say. The voice in my head said. DONT BE GREEDY, FOOL! Now, pay attention to your task. You might slip, otherwise.

That scream was akin to the cold, piercing splash of a raindrop right upon my head. My mind became clear. I made it to the beetles back in a careful hurry, but it was windy up there. The draft created by its humongous wings was not something cute; it would have been blown away if I wasn’t vigilant. No wonder Barry was still hesitating to pounce at the beetle. Well, in the next moment he did just that.

I cursed him for his despicable timing. Turns out iron claws were susceptible to failure when a third variable was loaded upon them. The sudden impact canceled the skill and I was flung right off the curvature.

The beetle in return was instantly enraged. What are you doing? He buzzed; being pushed didn’t hurt it much. The weight and size difference between them was enough that the impact made the beetle wobble, but not fall, which Barry must not have anticipated.

In return, it was he who had difficulty staying up. He should have tried stinging it, instead. Well, there was irony in that, too.

The leg I had hurt saved me. But I was in no position to thank it for being there for me, even though I had hurt it.
The beetle found his balance and rose higher. Barry took his time shaking, but he also arrived with time to spare. This time he tried to sting the beetle, but he had had enough. The beetle went to ram his split ended horn into Barry, which he barely dodged. But the beetle was relentless in his pursuit. Barry tried to cling to it to save his life, but that was a tall order for him with only two legs. The beetle didn’t seem to care anyway. He was confident about his defensive capabilities.

I wondered how Bella planned to handle the menacing beetle, for it was proving far from an idle match against a hornet and an ant. What if she had planned to let Barry handle it from the very start, to take advantage of his kindness? But she called us a distraction and asked us to keep it occupied while it slowly approached. After all, it was us who had gotten too confident and caused this result.

Let’s just get it back to the ground for now. I thought and climbed atop its back again, and this time made sure to spread my weight equally across my legs to better handle any unsuspected impacts.

The beetle knew I was on its back and it tried everything in its arsenal to get me off. I guess it didn’t like someone ridding it from the back.

Barry flew right next to my ride. He looked haggard. Maybe he was not up to speed, yet. Shri had made a meal out of him for days; the after-effects were bound to last him for at least the same amount of time.

Apparently, it was once again up to me to produce a result, and I was confident. I knew its weakness; its neck was my target. I could deal with it. I let Barry know the same so he could stop worrying. Its wings produced a mind-numbing drone from up close. I didn’t want to be get sucked into them, for that would cause a bad end to my day. So I crawled through the gap between them like I would get through the narrow confines of a tunnel and reached its neck. It was indeed not armored, just that it was also impenetrable by my mandible.

Barry’s stinger would do, and the venom would take the beetle out for good. I stood up to call Barry, but he was distracted by something and not paying attention. All of a sudden the beetle sped up and I could no longer stay down. A bubble of air had gotten trapped under my aerodynamic chest. At level one the skill was no help rather a nuisance. Oh no, the thought had barely formed when the bubble burst and I was thrown back, right into the left-wing.

I don’t know what happened next.

I might have ripped the wing because I remember freely falling toward the ground, and the beetle was tumbling down right behind me. The lone wing it had continued beating was making him spin. We both crashed. The beetle being heavier pushed past me, but one of its legs caught me square on the chest.

When I found my senses Bella was dragging the beetle toward its own burrow. I was lying on its back. Both of its wings had been plucked and the protective covers ripped off. It was alive. I could feel its metabolism, though slowed down to a crawl. It had entered the state of slow death, a preventive measure similar to my own hibernation. It would wake up one day, driven by the pain of being torn apart from the inside, and then finally it will cease to exist. That was no other end waiting for it.

It reminded me of the nymph.
I felt dizzy and scared. What had I done? It was as much a statement as it was a question.

Are you staying? She asked me. To think I was friends with her,
Is that sarcasm I detect? Perhaps, I should burry you along with beetle.
Take me.
I told Barry. He lifted me in his arms and took me away. I didn’t like being carried. I just gave up when even being helped reminded me of my nymph days. I needed rest.

We flew back to the hive. It wasn’t far, but Barry was exhausted. Neither of us said anything on the way. It was an odd feeling, one I didn’t like. Maybe it was exhaustion. Perhaps I could ignore it.

Madhuri was waiting for me and started beating her wings upon seeing us return. She flew toward us and accompanied us back to the hive. Watching her so happy and made the feeling grow inside me. I finally knew what it was. I was afraid of saying goodbye. This was where we were going to part. Bella would accompany me for a while and then I’d be on my own and the thought of being alone scared me. It was the end of our adventure together.

I knew I might never meet someone who would show such emotions toward me. And it was hard, but it was time to go.

I wasn’t going to take her with me. Greed was a part of it, but I simply didn’t want to exploit her kind nature anymore. The next excursion was going to be a dangerous one and she had already suffered enough.

I worried that her mother must be worried sick, finding the nest ransacked and her children missing. She might be waiting for her back in the nest if the snake no longer occupied it.

The queen was putting an egg in a cell when I saw her. She worked far too hard and rested too little. The workers were busy keeping her healthy, a simple life that I envied. I wished I could take their place right beside her.
What can I do for you, child of fire? She greeted me.
We are leaving today, your highness. Please, receive my gratitude for your hospitability and kindness. I hope there comes a day when ants and bees live together.
I receive your gratitude, child of fire, and will look forward to that day. But for now, can I ask a promise from you?
Yes?
Will you dissuade our guardian from leaving? I don’t know why he keeps insisting on following you on your quest, but he’s adamant. I wouldn’t have anything against his wish if he was of health, but he’s suffering and he has suffered enough. There’s nothing I can do, but I think he will listen to you. At least, I hope so.
When did he ask you?
This morning, he came to see me at the first light, fought with the workers to wake me up, and then created a commotion.
The queen scented and buzzed to happiness. It reminded me of the day he had found us, lost and exhausted. He was arrogant then, and young. We knew we couldn’t hurt him and he used the knowledge to extort honey from us.

The queen put her attention back on me. That was long ago. He’s still impulsive and irrational, but he’s was a hornet then. He’s a bee now and we take care of one of ours.

I left the queen with the promise to do my best. It was not my intention to take him with me, not before and certainly not now. I found him with Bella, waiting right next to Madhuri. They were getting ready.

I didn’t have to say anything. Barry knew I had been to see the queen and he knew what she had asked of me.
I’m coming and you can’t stop me.
He let me know. He was not asking for my permission but telling me about his decision.
But your condition—
He buzzed to amusement, shaking his head. I’ll still be a hundred times more impressive against foes than you.
Why do you want to do it? I asked him with a straight face. Don’t you have everything here? Aren’t you home?
I didn’t want pity, and if he was being stubborn to repay me for bringing him back to the hive, then I would tell him that he had already done that ten times over by sharing his passport. I needed to know his reason so I wouldn’t have doubts on the way.
That’s right. He said. And I won't stop until I take you back to your home. Besides, you are family. And we bees take care of our own.

My heart was thumping. Bella looked pretty amused by the wholes situation. Madhuri wanted to take to the sky, already. As for me, I felt fantastic.
Now you are cheating. You are throwing others lines as yours. The queen wants you to stay.
I know. H
e said buzzing to respect. But the child has learned to fly. Now it’s time for him to leave the nest. Isn’t that right, Madhuri?

She tilted her head at his pheromone. I believe she was wondering whether to eat him or not.

I rubbed my face into her warm feathers and climbed atop of her head. I decided to enjoy our last flight together and part on a happy note.

But, I guess, there were no partings for me that day. A surprise awaited at the end of our short journey. The nest was empty, and her mother was not around.

2