Chapter 16: Escaping the Crowd
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The nightlife in Bangkok was wild to me. It was a Tuesday night, and yet it felt like it should've been Saturday. We drove through the city, and I examined the surroundings outside of the cab. There were so many people still out, and I recalled how the other night I did not know the time, but that it felt early in the evening because of how energetic it was with all the people still going on throughout their day. 

I'm pleased that we decided not to walk because this drive took at least 30 minutes to get to the venue. As we sprung out of the car, I took in the environment around me. The club was huge and looked expensive. I grabbed Fah's arm, "Can we even get in?" I was a bit nervous because it looked like there was a line and everyone seemed so flashy. Fah patted me on the head, "This is the best time to go! On the weekends, you have to have reservations to enter so most locals try to come during the work week. Annnnd I'm not one to brag, buuut I know the bouncer working so we can get in!" Fah peered down at me and shot a cocky smile. 

Beth and Non were stumbling all over the place, while me and Fah appeared to have been walking normally. Fah went ahead of us to talk to the bouncer. I decided to stay back and wait to get the "okay" from Fah. I could see that she was laughing with the extremely large man standing at the entrance of the club, she was very touchy with him. I wonder if she had some kind of intimate relationship with the guy at some point. All of a sudden, Fah whipped her head back and waved her hand to come towards her. The bouncer opened the door for us 4 and we sauntered into the building like we were VIPs. 

The place looked huge on the outside, except when we got in, it was jam-packed. There were people everywhere and the music was insanely loud. I couldn't even hear myself think. We made our way through the crowds to get to the nearest bar. Each of us ordered a drink, I usually enjoyed fruity drinks so I asked for a Mai Tai, that was my go-to. 

I was scanning the structure, trying to see if there was available seating, then I felt my arm being pulled on, "LET'S GO DANCE!" Beth and Non had already taken off to the dance floor, while Fah waited for my response, "MAYBE! I'M GOING TO FIND SOMEWHERE TO SIT!" 

"WHAT?" 

"I'M GOING TO FIND SEATING!" 

"OHHH! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!" She's right, this place had hit capacity, and I'm not even sure there was a spot where you could sit. 

"I'LL STILL LOOK! I'LL TEXT YOU GUYS!" Fah gave a thumbs up and took off to the dance floor. 

There has to be someplace available, I mean it's a Tuesday night! I felt like I was the ball in the pinball machine, being bumped around back and forth as I tried to find an opening. In the distance, I could see an outdoor set-up. I sprinted towards it, as if it were the light at the end of a tunnel. In a flash, I crawled my way out of the sweaty crowd and headed into a small entryway. Phew, I was outside! I looked around to see where exactly I had ended up. This almost seemed like a private area, but no one has said anything to me yet. It was much quieter, and there was a bar with only a few people hanging out around it. 

This was a fascinating part of the club. It was located outside, except it had a hanger and a lookout where you could view the outside world. Again, I wasn't sure I was supposed to be in here, but I didn't really care. I just needed to get away from that crowd. 

There was plenty of seating available, however I didn't want to be seated alone at an empty table, so I headed toward the bar and made myself comfortable there. The bartender walked towards me and set a napkin down, "Would you like another one?" I looked down at my drink, realizing it was almost empty, "Yes please." He turned back around and started grabbing different bottles and mixing my drink. I didn't even tell him what I had ordered, but he must've been an expert because after he was done, he set the drink down in front of me, "Is this a Mai Tai?" He nodded with a quick smile. I sipped on the drink that he had made, holy shit! This is a Mai Tai. I peered up at him and inclined in approval. 

I know I said I was going to text Fah, but I realized I didn't have her number, so instead I texted Beth. I probably won't hear from her in awhile, so I decided to enjoy myself for as long as I could, however in an instant, I started getting heckled by a rather large man. I thought that maybe he was security and he was about to kick me out, but he then sat next to me at the bar. Really? Out of all the seats available in the vicinity, you have to sit right next to me. He was slurring his words really badly and I couldn't understand him. I wasn't even sure if he was speaking another language, or English, that's how bad it was. I tried my best to ignore him, having said that he still couldn't take the hint. Was having alone time too much to ask for? As he fumbled around his words, there were a few I could make out, "... Beautiful... Alone..." I barely glanced over at him, "Ummm, thanks..." I wasn't alone if that's what he was asking, at the same time though, I was alone. 

Abruptly, another voice came out of the blue, "Khuṇ kảlạng rbkwn p̄hū̂h̄ỵing khn nī̂ xyū̀ rụ pel̀ā." I briefly looked over to see who was talking, it was a younger looking guy sitting toward the end of the bar. The large drunk man, stared over at him looking aggravated, "Khảnụ... Ng t̄hụng ṭhurk... Ic... k̄h... Hic... Xng khuṇ xeng!" What the fuck is going on? The two of them began arguing back and forth, when another man, who might've been security, marched in, "Keid xarị k̄hụ̂n." The drunk man burst out yelling at the younger guy and shot up from his chair, he sprinted towards the kid, and before a fight was about to break out, the other man grabbed a hold of the drunk guy. 

What had just happened? I sat there, stunned by the whole interaction. 

"Sorry, are you okay?" I flinched at the sudden sound, and I swung around on the bar stool. There stood the younger man standing behind me, casting his gaze down onto me. The lighting in the room emitted a shadow halfway across the guy's face. From what I could make out, he looked even younger up close. He was very tall, at least 6 ft, and his skin tone resembled a beige color. His complexion was very clean, actually everything about him seemed clean. His eyebrows were thick in width, but had a neat look to them, as if he got them waxed. His nostrils were rather large and had a convex nose, he didn't have monolids, but his eyes were very sharp-kind of reminding me of almonds. He had this sweet and innocent feel about him. I wasn't sure how long I had been goggling at him, but he spoke up again, "Oh... That must've really freaked you out!" 

"What? Oh shit... Sorry! I just zoned out." He had this adorable laugh, "Ohh! You scared me there for a second! I thought you were scarred from that whole thing!" 

"Oh Jesus! No, I'm sorry! I'm fine... Uh, thank you for helping me out." 

"It's no problem. That guy was being a creep and I could tell you were uncomfortable." 

"Yeah, I couldn't understand what he was saying to me either..." 

"That's probably a good thing, you don't want to know." 

"Well, thank you again!" It grew silent between us and he stood there looking a bit gauche. He seemed harmless, so I decided to speak up again, "Do you want to sit here?" I pointed to the bar stool next to me. 

"Oh-oh yeah. That'd be great!" This guy was kind of silly, he had seemed so smooth earlier, but now he just reminded me of some ungainly teenager. I initiated the conversation, "Sooo was that Thai you were speaking?" 

"Yes it was. I'm assuming you don't know Thai?" 

I took the last gulp of my drink, "Unfortunately, no I don't." 

"That's too bad, ummm are you visiting?" I waved over to the bartender and ordered another Mai Tai, "No, actually I just moved here like two weeks ago." 

"Really? Where are you from originally?"

"California, but I lived in Japan for a little bit." 

"Oh I've been to California once! I really liked it there! I haven't been to Japan yet." The bartender served me my drink and I began chugging it down, but stopped until there were at least two more sips left. 

"Japan succccks and California is finee." The younger guy chuckled at my response, "Is that why you came to Thailand?" I could feel my body becoming warmer and loosening up, this must've been the alcohol, "Ummm... I guess you could say that." I finished the drink in front of me, and waved over to the bartender again for another drink. 

"Wait!" I slapped the counter, startling the young guy next to me, and glanced over at him, "I dunno your name..." 

"Oh you scared me there for a second! You can call me Beam." 

"Beam?" What kind of name is Beam? 

"It's just a nickname. Do you not know anything about Thai culture?" Okay, now he's starting to sound like a smart ass. 

"Ummm... Didn't I mention I just moved here?" Beam jokingly shook his head in disapproval, "I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of names in Thailand are really long, so most people just go by nicknames that they're given at birth, or if they decide to change it when they get older." 

"No shit, really? So what's your real name?" 

"That's an interesting question..." 

"Why is it interesting?"

"Because in Thai culture you can know someone for years and not even know their real name. I've known you for like 10 minutes and you already want to know my real name... Seems a bit personal." I could tell he wasn't taking this all too seriously, so with the alcohol making me feel more comfortable, I slapped my hand on the bar again, "I'll tell chu everything... Bout myself! So you can tell me your name! BUUUT! Youuu have to ask the questions first... Likeee, I won't jus tell you everything... Yaa know?" Beam seemed to enjoy this little game because he gladly accepted. 

"Fine! Fine! I'll start off easy, what's your name?" 

"I tell people to call me Tabi, buuut my name is Tabitha." 

"Okaaay... Tabitha, I mean Tabi. Why are you here alone?" 

"HA! I'm not! I'm actually here with other people, buut they went dancing and I didn't want to dance... PLUS! I get anxiety in crowds soooo yeah. NEXT QUESTION!" 

I wasn't sure how long we were going at it like this, and at this point, I'm not even sure how many drinks I've had. I was beginning to feel dizzy and the room seemed just as drunk as I did. 

"TABI! You still good?" Beam waved his hand in my face, I flew my hand at his and hit it out of the way, as if it were a fly. 

"I'MMM doing fan-tas-tic!" 

"Good because I have another question!" 

"I'm... Hic... Ready!" 

"What's that necklace for?" My head bobbled towards my chest, and I stroked the rings softly, "Well... Ummm... This was my engagement and-and wedding rings..." I took another gulp of my drink, "... My husband is dead... Hic... That's why you don't drive in the rain!" I was still looking down at the necklace. I didn't hear anything from Beam, so I peeked over at him. He wasn't looking at me, but behind the bar instead. I could see his side profile, and as expected, he had a doleful look to him. 

"I-I'm sorry to hear that Tabi..." I became irritable at how he said that, "Don't pity me! I get enough of that shit from other people! YES, my husband is dead, and YES, I run away from my problems when they come up! That's why I'm here and NOT IN JAPAN, or in California!" Somewhere in my mind, I felt bad about yelling at him, but fuck man! I'm trying to have a good time, not fucking mope around. I waved over at the bartender again, "Caaaan... I get anotha' shot pleaseee?" Beam grabbed onto the arm I was waving the bartender with, "I think you're good Tabi-" 

"Ummm, are youuuu my parents' little boy? No! You are not!" I ripped my arm away from him. Like magic, the shot appeared in front of me, and before Beam could take it away, I threw the liquor back down my throat. Everything became blurry and noises sounded in slow motion. 

I'm not sure how the rest of the night turned out because my mind went blank after that last shot, and I fell into a black void of forgetting my problems.

0