Epilogue
1.1k 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Mariana}

Today's set of executions in Diosia marked the final ones that would take place.

All of the elves in the town had either been captured or had escaped. The Inquisitors' job was done.

Or, it would have been, if a new task hadn't been thrust upon them today.

The God-King stood in a balcony, overlooking the gallows, and his Inquisitors waited for his next commands behind him. The Duchess was there as well, watching the hangings emotionlessly, as she held a pipe in her hand.

"Congratulations," the God-King told her, his metallic voice making the bones in Mariana's body shake. "You've completed your task."

"As I said I would, your majesty," the Duchess bowed as deeply as she could.

"All those years ago, when you said you would carry out my orders, I believed you to be nothing but a filthy snake like all elves are. Perhaps you have internally become a human, though. Good work."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Keep up the good work and I will spare your pitiful life."

"I will, your majesty."

His words were like the lifting of a blade off the Duchess's head. Her shoulders dipped a little, as she visibly held back a sigh of relief.

Alverion stood before Mariana, and he was the next person who the God-King's red eyes fell upon.

"As for you, consider yourself retired. You will be given a pension and as pleasant a home in the capital as I can find for you. Good work as well, my disciple."

"But, sir," Alverion said. Although he was about to voice some form of disagreement, he at least had the presence of mind to lower his head in submission before he did so. "I wish to-"

"Alverion," the God-King interrupted him.

It was odd. His tone had not changed, neither had the volume at which he spoke, but with that one word, the man was suddenly wrapped in a murderous aura.

"Yes, your majesty?"

"I trust you understand that with just one leg, your potential to be of any real use to me has gone down dramatically." The God-King's tone was matter-of-fact, but the unblinking, unmoving way in which he delivered them made him seem so much more...

... Well, inhuman.

Mariana's head would be rolling on the floor right now if the God-King could read minds.

Thankfully, though the God-King was omnipotent, he wasn't omniscient.

"The only thing you're good for now is for giving advice to your junior and wasting taxpayer dollars on wine and slaves to fuck. The fact that I am even bothering to give you a home and retirement money is in acknowledgment of the service you've done for me. Decline this offer and the alternative will only be for me to throw you off this balcony right now. What will it be?"

"... My apologies," Alverion quickly rectified his behavior. "I, of course, accept your gifts. Thank you, your majesty."

"I thought so."

Again, his words were like a noose loosening up from around Alverion's neck.

Finally, the last person in that room that the God-King bothered to look at was Mariana herself.

And Mariana met his gaze absent-mindedly.

It wasn't that she was not scared at all. But, she had always been fairly incapable of understanding things like courtesies. All she knew how to do was look people in the eye and wait for what they had to say.

If that got her killed, well... That would be unfortunate.

The God-King walked up to her.

Towering over the curly-haired blonde, the God-King slowly put a hand on Mariana's shoulder.

Mariana blinked.

"Your teacher's duties here have now become your duties," the God-King said. The face Alverion made clearly suggested that he disagreed with this idea but, naturally, he didn't say anything. "I understand that you lack experience, but you do show great promise according to Alverion's reports. You will gain this experience in a leadership position."

His hand tightened only just a little on Mariana's shoulder, but the simple touch sent shivers down the girl's spine.

"You can fail once or twice. I will understand. Again, you are new. I do not expect perfection out of you. Fail consistently, however, and I will have someone throw you off the nearest roof for me. Got it?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"Good. Once I am back in the capital, I will write for you a list of responsibilities. These range from capturing elves, drasen, and demons found near human cities and towns, to scouting forests, to killing that demon who escaped the other day. With that last responsibility being chief among them. Take your time. With how much I damaged that thing, I doubt it will show up again anytime soon, but if you see it, you do your best to kill it. Got it?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"Very well... Now," the God-King said.

Suddenly, his hands went from Mariana's back to her chest.

She froze.

Staring up at his red eyes, she slowly inhaled as the God-King said:

"There is one other duty that falls upon you. Come. I will guide you through it now."

Out of instinct, Mariana's eyes went to Alverion, almost as though asking for confirmation that this was going where she thought it was.

He simply nodded at her.

"... I understand," Mariana replied with a dry voice.

"Good," the God-King stated, and she walked by the God-King's side to another part of that building.

She did not complain, she did not say a word.

After all, the God-King's word was final.

That was all that mattered.

13