Interlude 1: The Pathfinder and the Royal Mage
49 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The shop was nestled in an old, rundown building, its exterior covered in ivy and moss. The entrance was a small, inconspicuous door, hidden between two large brick walls. Inside, the atmosphere was dimly lit, with flickering candles casting a warm glow over the patrons. The air was thick with the scent of smoke and the murmur of conversations.

As a jingle sounded from the front of the door, the sharp eyes of the shop owner turned towards an unlikely customer. A brown haired, scruffy fellow with a long cloak that didn’t seem to practice anything close to the arcane arts.

“May I help you?” The shop owner asked, with sharp words disguised as a greeting.

“You mage folk really do know each other huh?” The scout responded with a half-respectful, half-mocking tone, “Don’t get your trousers in a twist. I’m looking for a shortie who should have dropped by recently. Red hair, huge hat, blue robes. Ring a bell?”

The conversations surrounding the entrance died down as the atmosphere tensed up. These were the type of people that had many enemies, and the strange behavior of the new arrival had them all on guard.

The eyes of the shopkeeper narrowed as she spoke, “Even if we did have someone of that description I cannot permit a strangeling like you within this store. Please. Leave.”

“Ah well I suppose this is where stuff like this comes in handy.” Recognizing the tension, the scout moved to diffuse the situation by producing a guild emblem from his pocket.

‘Pathfinder of The Dragon’s Teardrop. A ranked adventurer.’ It read

“I’m Swift. And the girl I was mentioning is a friend of mine. So if you would be so kind...”

The shopkeeper of the arcane store was a scrupulous and shrewd individual, her hawk-like eyes scanning the intricate emblem with a keen and critical gaze. She turned the emblem over, examining its every angle and detail. Her lips pursed in thought as she traced her weathered fingers over the intricate engravings, feeling for any imperfections that might reveal it to be a counterfeit.

“I see.” Confirming its legitimacy she waved down the agitated patrons and shifted her tone to one of respect, “It is a pleasure sir pathfinder. Your companion is located in the private reading room on the second floor. Hers is the door with the blue waves.”

Swift gave the shopkeeper a nod before making his way upstairs. The second floor was a library that seemed far bigger than the building appeared upon the outside, lined with tall shelves and cabinets brimming with dusty books and strangely written tomes along with the occasional curious oddity.

“These magic folk are real wacky people.” Swift shook his head at the sight before making his way to the blue door on the far end, his footsteps stopping right outside, a moment of hesitation washing over him.

When they split up, they each agreed to have their own happy ending when they appeared before each other once again. Yet here he stood, still with no place to call home.

“Ah whatever.” He threw off the icky emotions before knocking on the door. “Oi, Rafine. It’s me.”

There was a cluttering sound and some rustling before he heard two voices.

“Sabine, wait!” A voice that was fiery and fervent, one he recognized.

“Oh, what’s harm Rafy? I think we can entertain a guest of yours.” Playful and deliberate, this voice he did not know.

As the doorknob turned and the door swung open, his eyes were drawn to the fiery red hair of Rafine, who was frantically scrambling to put away her messy books in the background. Her movements were quick and precise, yet her expression was indignant. 

His attention, however, was quickly diverted to the figure before him. A woman with beautiful eyes of silver stood before him, her eyes sparkling with a playful expression that left him feeling simultaneously enchanted and unnerved. Her inky locks framed her face in a chaotic yet elegant fashion, with wisps of hair falling across her sharp cheekbones like tendrils of black smoke. The sorceress exuded a coquettish aura that was almost palpable, her skin aglow with an otherworldly light that spoke of magic and mystery.

As their eyes met, the woman's playful expression deepened, and she took a step forward, drawing closer to him with a slow and deliberate grace. Her movements were sinuous and hypnotic, as if she were dancing to a tune that only she could hear.

Swift found himself transfixed by her gaze, unable to look away as she leaned in closer, her lips curling into a sultry smile. He could feel the heat of her breath on his skin, and the intoxicating scent of her perfume filled his nostrils until...

“Sabine. Stop that.” Rafine’s words were sharp and clear, breaking the trance Swift had been put under. With a gasp the adventurer immediately leapt back and put his hand over his weapon, nearly bumping into a bookshelf.

“Aww Rafy, you didn’t tell me you had such a dashing companion.” The woman, Sabine, stepped back gracefully while still keeping her eyes on Swift, “Rugged and wild, but thoughtful and kind. This one must be quite the ladykiller.”

The way Sabine licked her lips made a shiver run down his spine.

“Enough Sabine.” Rafine gave an exasperated sigh as she finished organizing the mess inside the reading room, “You’re scaring him. He’s not actually that good with ladies. None of them are except for Raaylin.”

“What? But didn’t you mention that lovely cat girl of yours?”

“Oh right. I do suppose if Prisilla is in the mood she may indulge herself in a maiden or two, but beastmen have it differently than most.”

“Gosh are you sure she isn’t coming? I would have loved to meet her.” Sabine frowned and sat down beside the red haired mage, her pouting expression holding an attractive power that Swift could not accurately describe.

“I doubt it.” Rafine, seemingly immune or used to her charms, picked up a journal she had set aside and doublechecked its contents, “Sylvestra is asking for quite a lot. I’m surprised other people even showed up.”

“The Dragon’s Teardrop was once quite large, no? I’m sure there are many who’d want to help a friend, especially a lass such as she.” Sabine inquired.

“You’d be surprised how conditional these bonds are, Sabine. And even if there were a lot, after what happened with Jordan and Tylian...” Rafine sighed and turned towards the scout still cautiously waiting outside, “well let’s just stop there. Come in already Swift, you’ll disturb the others.”

“Uh yeah.” Swift, having regained his composure awkwardly walked into the room and closed the door behind him. The room very similar to the library he had seen outside, albeit with a comfortable area in the middle to read, “Great to see you too, Rafine. Who’s the friend?”

“Oh? You’re curious about me?” Sabine once again set her eyes upon Swift who instinctively took a step back under her gaze.

“Sabine...” Rafine began.

“What? I didn’t even do anything that time.” Sabine latched onto Rafine with her arms in protest, but the red-haired mage just shoved her aside with an irritated look.

“Sabine is a former student of mine back when I used to teach at Osignin. She’s a strange case that just dropped on my doorstep one day,  insisting on keeping in touch with me after all these years so you could say we’re...”

“Soulmates.” Sabine finished, clasping her hands together.

“...friends.” Rafine refuted coldly. “She’s a 3rd grade sorceress, though I wouldn’t trust the sorcery grade on her all that much. She’s a lot stronger than she lets on.”

“You flatter me darling.” Sabine leaned in for a hug once more but Rafine coldly ignored her.

“That’s... great? Is she coming with us?” Swift asked with a hesitant tone, he wasn’t sure that bringing along such a character would be wise.

Thankfully his concerns were unwarranted.

“No.” Both the black haired sorceress and the red haired mage answered in unison.

“Oh how I wish I could accompany my beloved master but alas a multi year journey upon the road would destroy my beautiful skin.” Sabine answered with some theatrics.

“Her maintenance is way too high. She’s absolutely unsuited for adventuring.” Rafine put it simply. “Besides, two is company enough for a charity mission like this one.”

“Three actually,” Swift corrected, “Prisilla is coming. Donovan spotted her following our carriage a while back.”

“Seriously? Ugh that girl I swear.” Rafine shook her head and sighed, a melancholy expression on her face.

“Hey Rafine,” Swift began, trying to mediate, “If you’re still feeling guilty about what happened, you’ve more than-”

However, Rafine cut him off, “Swift. I needn’t you to explain my own emotions to me. I do this of my own will.”

“Oooh you’re a naughty man Swift. Bringing up a girl’s past like that.” Sabine’s teasing comment earned herself a glare from both members of the Dragon’s Teardrop.

“Sabine’s antics aside, what will the route look like? I’m guessing Donovan has it all planned out?” Rafine expertly swapped the topic.

“He always does. If everything goes smoothly we’ll meet right outside Avenstron.” Swift replied, going with the flow.

“I suppose I should consider myself lucky you were near Talisbane at the time. Saves me the trouble of hiring my own scout.” Rafine said dryly.

“I suppose so.”

...

There was a moment of silence before Rafine coughed and clarified: “That was a joke by the way.”

“I.. see..” Swift couldn’t even force himself to laugh at that one considering how serious Rafine sounded, while Sabine just smiled sadly, shaking her head. Embarrassed at how flatly her joke fell, Rafine turned her red-faced glower upon Sabine, who was sitting cross legged on the floor, hiding her face with her hair.

“Sabine, you told me I had gotten better at those!”

“You have, it's just... it takes a lot of work okay?”

“You’re fibbing, I can see it in your eyes.” Rafine huffed.

“Ah ha... well the content was fine unlike usual. Though delivery needed more work.” Sabine looked away, withering under Rafine’s accusing gaze. “Say, Swift. What are your plans after you’re done with this job? I don't suppose you’re looking for a girlfriend?”

“I can’t say I am.” Unable to steer the direction of the conversation away from the hands of these two eccentrics, Swift resolved himself to simply answer the questions given to him, “I’ve promised to assist Donovan at Hearthholm, and the political climate is no place for raising a family.”

“A trivial circumstance like that stands no chance against love.” Sabine gave him a wink.

“Perhaps not. But I wouldn’t want the one I love to be burdened by the consequences of what I’ll have to do.” Swift scratched his head at the hurdles ahead. Donovan had undertaken this job because he needed what Sylvestra was offering him, and Swift owed a massive debt to Donovan. Rafine was coming along to respect a whimsical promise she made long ago and Prisilla was tagging with them because she was worried about the lot of them. It was a tangled web of sorts where no one really had much of a choice, each a slave to their own circumstances or emotions. He wondered what he would really do if he was truly a free man, but such thoughts weren’t even worth considering.

“Oh my goodness!” Sabine put a hand over her mouth and batted her eyelashes in a seductive manner, “He’s a gentleman as well. Perhaps I really should come along after all if all adventurers are as high caliber as he is.”

“Haha, you’re too kind.” Swift, ever a master of adapting to his circumstances, laughed and played along with Sabine’s flirtatious comment.

“Say. Out of the members in the Teardrop, who would you consider the strongest?” Sabine leaned forth with a sparkling glint in her eye causing Swift to take a step back.

“Um. Uhh. Why the question?” He asked back.

“Oh dear me I just find it so mysterious. A multi-nation sanctioned adventuring group surely must have a hierarchy of some sorts?”

“Well I don’t know of the sanctioned part, it's usually just that most nations trust the adventurers guild.”

“Except the Tristani Empire.” Rafine chimed in, conjuring some water in her glass, “They do their own thing in the far west.”

“Oh yeah, the really big one right? Takes up nearly a quarter of the continent.”

“That is the one. Their eyes always set on conquest if only they could get past the Avenstron knights and their own internal turmoil. They say a revolt is a daily occurrence with a territory that large, but with so much expansion it's honestly a miracle they’ve kept the country from shattering entirely.”

“You know, I sometimes forget you were a professor, Rafine.” Swift, thoroughly impressed by Rafine’s worldly knowledge, nodded in approval.

“I still am. Tenure isn’t something removed so easily.”

“Well if you would be so kind...” Sabine puffed out her cheeks, angry that she was being ignored, “I believe I asked a question no?”

“And I believe I’ve taught you that not all questions deserve an answer.” Rafine shot back, prompting Sabine to look even more grouchy, though her features somehow looked impeccable with any expression. Swift wondered if it was a feature of those that practiced sorcery, though it wasn’t a question he really wanted to ask.

“If you’re talking about the strongest in a head to head fight, it's probably either Yarrel or Prisilla. Beastmen have a physique that humans can’t match without having a special skill like Yarrel’s. Though if you gave Rafine enough time to cast she’d obviously incinerate anyone down to their ashes.” Swift decided to humor the sorceress and gave a thoughtful response. It was a fair question he wondered about quite a bit after all.  “Though if you’re talking about pure rank then Blair is the only one of us who has actually reached the Special rank before, though I wouldn’t call her strong.”

“Ahem, firstly you'd be remiss to not mention Prisilla's hard work and exceptional talent even as a beastwoman. What a nightmare it would be if every beastman we fought had the same prowess as Prisilla. Secondly, I’d appreciate it if you remember I’m registered as a water mage, I’d prefer not to use flames if at all possible.” Rafine complained, “And lastly, who is this Yarrel? I’ve never seen him before.”

“Ah, he was one of the earlier ones. Left way before you joined.”

“I see.” Rafine turned towards her former student before standing up, “I assume that answers your question Sabine. I very much cherished your hospitality this past week but I believe it's time I got going.”

Rafine and Swift exchanged a nod between them, each understanding the next step of their journey.

“Aw, but I was having so much fun with you. Oh well. I’m heading to Darinford Republic so come visit me after you’ve dropped off your lovely companion in Darisport okay?” Sabine got up from the floor and dusted off her dress before winking at her former mentor.

“I shall endeavor to do so.” Rafine promised. “Ours was a blessed crossing.”

As they marched out of the reading room Sabine watched them go with a complicated feeling in her chest. An uncharacteristic sadness lingered in her eyes, as she spoke softly back to Rafine, unsure of whether she heard her.

“May the Worldweaver guide your path."

3