Prologue
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had been trapped in my workshop since last night. Even though I was hungry and tired, that was besides the point. I must have been so exhausted that I saw those mechanical limbs move on their own. My goddamn cell phone was out of charge, and I figured someone would realize I was gone. The window was too small to break out of. 

I began to give up and I wondered if anyone would remember me if I died. 

I couldn’t tell what time it was even after looking out the little window. I opened it so that fresh air would enter. The sky was already gray. I punched the wall and yelled for help. I had tried yelling in the nighttime too, but no one heard me. 

I heard the sound of a dog. I continued to yell out the window. The dog’s barks grew fainter. I had difficulty breathing. 

By the time some people broke the lock to the metal door, I was left gasping for air. I didn’t know if there was a lack of circulation, or if I was claustrophobic now.

People came closer to help, but it made me feel worse.

I was able to make it to my nearby apartment and I collapsed on my bed. When I woke up, my body was giving up on me so I had to get some food.

I found some carrots, eggs and bread. No jam, but there was hard butter. I was just too hungry. I had some bread by itself and water to wash it down. I continued like this for a while.

I had a massive headache as I put my phone to charge. I turned on my laptop and checked my social media. There was one message but I didn’t recognize the name.

Lilac: Are you alright?

Me: Umm yes. Sorry, who is this?
Lilac: Oh right, you don’t know me yet.

They deleted the messages. So, I blocked them. I shouldn’t tolerate this kind of behaviour. I wondered why my parents haven't contacted me since the last two weeks. I sent them texts but there was no reply. They didn’t pick up my calls either.

I admit that my mind has been foggy ever since I started working there. I went to the bathroom to wash my face. I just can’t think straight. I remember my past but it feels like that wasn’t my life but someone else's.

Someone knocked at my door as if they were trying to destroy it. I looked through the keyhole. It was my boss.

I opened the door and was about to greet him.

“How dare you do this to my workshop? Didn’t I tell you that everything must be kept confidential?”

“Yes, but…”

“I almost got caught! You’re fired.”

It dawned upon me that I may have been carrying out illegal activities without even knowing. I slammed the door shut and sunk into my chair. I covered my face with my hands and wondered how I’ll pay rent. I ran my fingers through my chestnut hair. Nothing made sense.

I went back to bed like a lazy runt. I almost fell asleep until I heard a feminine robotic voice.

“Project Lilac has been connected. What would you like to do today?”

I gasped and rose, looking around to see where it came from. I searched the room once more.

The day went by and all I did was stare at the television without noticing the aired series.

It was nighttime, and I was eating some mashed potatoes. 

“What would you like to do today?”
I dropped the fork on the ground.

“I’d love some peace and quiet,” I mumbled to myself.

“Error. Peace does not exist. Please enter another keyword.”

The entire night passed by the software asking me to present another keyword. Every time I heard that voice, I shuddered.
I had fallen asleep at last. I didn’t notice when I said something in my sleep. I just remembered saying something but didn’t know the content.

I felt a massive blow to my head, and couldn’t wake up. There was pain at first. I thought it was all over. I felt liquid trickling down my face. I almost smelled rust. It hurt so much. Soon, every sensation was gone. I couldn’t breathe, move, or feel. Even my emotions went numb. But my memories remained. I didn’t know if it was dark or bright.

All of a sudden, I sensed bright light. But I couldn’t open my eyes. I really wanted to see the source. But after I was able to see, the light was gone. The sky was pitch dark, except for one distant and flickering star. I felt the grass underneath my body. I could breathe, but in a shallow way. I felt like I’d be at peace if I could breathe as a normal human should. My limbs wouldn’t cooperate with me when I tried to feel my forehead.

I heard some music, and a voice saying religious sermons.

I fell asleep and woke up when the light shone through my eyelids.

“Something went wrong with his death,” said someone.

“Yes, it seems like he’s not dead yet.”

“So what should we do with him?”

“Maybe we should try to save him.”

It was so cold that my muscles were tired of shivering. After it warmed up, I got up and staggered through the garden. My throat was itchy, my limbs were not moving right, but I went on. 

It was a sunny morning. The pain in my body was mostly gone. I found a dog lying on the ground, and it was covered in blood. I backstepped and covered my mouth. A white sheet fell out and covered it. The sheet levitated but there was nothing underneath it anymore. It didn’t have the form of a dog. It became transparent, and so did I. I assumed we were both ghosts now.

“Come on, boy. Let’s get out of here,” I said.

The ghost pulled out a knife and charged towards me. Just when I thought I had a fresh start, I would have to leave it behind.

“I’m sorry. Did you die because you saved me?” I mumbled.

The ghost dropped the knife and floated off elsewhere. 

“Come back! You’re all I have now,” I said.

He came back and charged at me, but without a knife. 

I fell to the ground as I patted him.

“Can you speak?” I said.

There was no sound.

“Alright then. I’ll call you Hope.”

We walked for miles with Hope leading the way. He went too ahead of me, and I was lost. I sat at the base of a tree and closed my eyes as I levitated. I opened my eyes and Hope was hovering above me, hanging off of the tree branch. The road in front of me was unclear, but my inner gut told me to keep going.

The two of us walked and then flew towards the city lights. We came across a beautiful house with white and red blossoms. 

I saw a girl in the window, watering some house plants. She came to the balcony, and blinked quite a few times. She then shook her head and went inside. I thought nothing about it. If I saw a ghost, I’d have a far worse reaction.

Hope was frolicking among the grass. 

It began raining, and I was cold and soaked. Hope was shivering next to me. I smiled and placed my hand on his head. My touch was semi-numb, but it was like wet fabric.

I thought to myself if I ever felt this alive in my actual life.

0