Chapter 3: Breakthrough
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had boarded onto the first cable car that had arrived at the Academy station, it was empty. Boarding onto the cable car, I could feel the heat erupt in my chest, sweat trickled down the side of my reddened face. My abdomen began to swell as if someone was pumping air to fill a balloon, a hot air balloon, my glasses fogging up, and my breathing staggering. Placing my hands on my knees, I shut my eyes tightly, calming my nerves, and focus on controlling the Ether seeping into my body at an alarming rate. My bones began to crack like a crab's shell and my mind shook as if someone hit with a bat. Nah, whiplash. I gripped onto my knees even tighter, feeling the sweat from my palms being absorbed by my uniform pants.  Taking in deep breaths, I manage to circulate the Ether vortex in my body which was growing at an astonishing speed. It wasn't over yet. The vortex spun faster and faster, the pain was immeasurable to the point where I began rolling on the cable car's floor, curled up into a ball while shaking the cable car. Thank Irdea there was no one in there. The vortex continued to spin for what seemed like an eternity until I heard something pop. It wasn't the kind of pop you would head when you are making popcorn nor the kind you hear when a party popper is popped rather, it was the kind that you hear from an air gun. Loud but brief. 

Suddenly, the pain subsided, slowly but I could now open my eyes. I was laying on the floor, no longer rolling, by back touching the steel floor which was slippery thanks to my sweat. My glasses were lopsided and drenched heavily in my sweat droplets as well as my clothing. My bag had fallen onto the cable car floor due to all my rolling around. It was finally over. Laying on the ground for a few more moments, I zip open my bag, grabbing my Tabloid to check the time. Only ten minutes had passed since I got on to the cable car and I was two stops away from my station. Propping myself back onto the seat, I felt my senses have grown sharper. That could only mean one thing...I had succeeded. I had broken into Rank 3! 

Channeling Ether through my body, I could hear the conversation coming from a car behind me, which was around fifty meters away. I could feel the breeze from outside even though my window wasn't open and the subtle movements, which I couldn't feel at first, of the cable car as it moved down the line. With that, I had confirmed that I had successfully broken through.  

I was ecstatic. I was stuck at Rank 2 for almost a year but now I have succeeded and earlier than I predicted. I immediately knew why. Just by comprehending simple concepts from Earth, which were seemingly complex here, I was able to strengthen my Arcana which somehow contributed to my breakthrough from that bottleneck. If I utilize my knowledge from Earth and transfer it here, I believe I could breakthrough into Rank 4 in at least a year. It wouldn't be as fast as those geniuses but it was fast enough for me. Any amount of time that could reduce how long I stayed at a Rank was beneficial. Now that I had broken into Rank 3, I could begin practicing Rank 3 Spells which could increase my chances of becoming a Wyvern Knight, well like that was going to happen. I would have to be some super genius like Tim to even have a chance.

>>>

The Wyvern Knight Exam was a one-day exam which tests all people around the world 16 to 25 years of age every year to see if there is anyone qualified to become a Wyvern Knight. The exam was optional but as long as anyone fell into the age bracket, they were qualified to take the exam however, only 25 people pass every year. The names of the people who pass are never released due to confidentiality but everyone that passes comes from some powerful background. In short, this test was rigged to weed out the elite of the elite. An ordinary person like myself would have the best chance of becoming an Operator for a Wyvern Knight but even those chances were very slim. The exam was simple, defeat a full-fledge Wyvern Knight using anything and everything. It didn't specify how it was up to the examinee. Either way, my chances were close to none. 

>>> 

Being happy with my success, I dialed my parents on my Tabloid telling them the good news with the largest smile on my face. 

"You broke through!" My mom gasped in shock and happiness. 

"That's great son!" My father responded with joy.

I could hear my mother clap her hands over the phone. 

"We're going to close up early, this deserves a celebration!" 

"Everybody out! We're closing!" My father instructed in the background.

"We'll see you at home." She hastily said before hanging up. 

Just in time, the cable car had arrived at my stop. Disembarking, I exit the station, running full speed back home. It seems like my physical capabilities have also enhanced greatly. The stop which was five minutes away was only one minute away if I ran. Upon my arrival, I notice my parents directing their last customer out the door. It was a girl slightly older than me wearing a white dress with a black petticoat over the top with an insignia of a golden sword, with dragon wings decorating its hilt, on her sleeve. Her jet black shoulder-length hair swayed in the wind revealing her earpiece which was glowing a blue hue. I recognized her immediately.

"Mari!" I called out trying to get her attention. 

Hearing my voice, she quickly turned her head in my direction and a large smile crawls onto her face. 

"Alexis! Good to see you!" She greets as I approach her. "How have you been?" 

Marianna Davis, Mari for short. She is two years my senior, a former student at Regalia, and a regular at the bakery. Additionally, she is currently a Field Operator for the Wyvern Knights but I wasn't sure if she was promoted to a Personal Operator. 

>>>

The Operator profession is quite vague but there are three kinds of Operators. The first are General Operators. General Operators mainly do logistic work such as trading, manufacturing, importing and exporting supplies, or regular office work. They're the kind of people who have a stable 9 to 5 job as they just sit in a desk and do nothing. Okay, that's an exaggeration. General Operators are usually people who have the ability to utilize Ether but are not proficient at it enough to cast Spells, mostly people who are Rank 1 or Rank 2.

The next is Field Operators which consist of individuals who are Rank 3 to 4. These Operators deal with strategizing, research, and fieldwork. Most Field Operators serve as soldiers or strategist for the military while others work as researchers for large private companies such as LTech. Lastly, there are Personal Operators.

The easiest way to think of the is like Batman and Robin. If Wyvern Knights are Batmans then these guys are Robins. Similarly to Wyvern Knights, Personal Operators are handpicked from the best of the best. Usually one needs to have many years of experience to be qualified as one but there were always exceptions. The exceptions are Operators from the Wyvern Knights Exam. These Operators are people who were close to becoming a Wyvern Knight but didn't quite make the cut and are currently serving as personal secretaries or combat assistants for the Wyvern Knights but similar to many others, Personal Operators don't know the true identities of their Wyvern Knight. However, Personal Operators weren't just exclusive to Wyvern Knights. Most influential figures such as politicians and royals had at least one or two by their sides as personal protection. 

>>>

"Great," I replied catching my breath from running earlier. 

She nods then folds her arms inspecting me head to toe. 

"So I've heard you've broken into Rank 3."

"I did," I acknowledged, "just a few minutes ago."  

"That's amazing! You were stuck at Rank 2 for quite a while how did you breakthrough?" 

"I believe I had comprehended something related to the fuel source of a flame which somehow increased my Arcana." 

Mari tilts her head. 

"Really?" She said, her interest peaking a little. "I didn't even manage to comprehend that until I graduated from Regalia! Man, I'm jealous." 

"It doesn't matter," I laughed. "I've only broken through to Rank 3 today and I might be stuck here for some time. You're almost Rank 5." 

"Yeah, but I'm stuck at a huge bottleneck right now. I don't think I'll be able to break through for another half year. It's as they say, the higher you go, the harder it is." 

"I guess so. Well, speaking about going higher, have you become a Personal Operator yet?" 

"No," She shakes her head with a crestfallen expression. "All the current Wyvern Knights are taken so I have to wait till this year's Exam is over and I might just get a rookie to manage. Let's leave that up to fate. Oh, that's right! You're taking the Wyvern Knight Exam next week." 

"I don't have any confidence in passing though. Everyone who passes is ridiculously strong. I mean, when has there ever been a person selected at Rank 3 to become a Wyvern Knight. You have to be Rank 4 at a minimum." 

She chuckles. "Don't be so harsh on yourself. Hey, even if you don't pass, I could probably get you into the Wyvern Knights as a Field Operator. Being a Rank 3 Operator, you have a wide range of career options once you graduate from Regalia so don't sweat it." 

Now thinking about it, I did have a lot of options once I graduate. Becoming a Wyvern Knight, even though my chances were zero, isn't the only path. 

"Well, I won't bother you any further. You should celebrate your success tonight with your family. They were so eager to kicking everyone out once they heard the good news." 

"Very typical of them.” I chuckle adjusting the strap on my bag. “I’ll get to that then. You have a good day.” 

Mari turns her back towards me and begins to walk away from the bakery, waving a hand at me indicating that she was leaving. 

“Thanks. I’ll see you soon. Good luck on the Exam!”

“See you.” 

With that she was gone, running off into the distance with her hands full of freshly baked bread. As she disappeared, I opened the door to the bakery, the little bell hanging from the door chiming to welcome my entrance. I shut the door behind myself to be greeted by the smiling faces of my parents with their arms open ready to embrace me. They haven't even taken off their work aprons yet. I awkwardly smile back at them.

"I'm home."

"Welcome back." They chimed together. 

"So we heard the good news." My mom says placing her hands on her hips. "Our little Alex has broken through to Rank 3." 

My dad lets out a jolly laugh.

"That's better than you Katlyn." 

"Shut up, Jack!" My mother retorts elbowing my father in the gut.

My mother and father formerly served in the military before they opened this bakery. My mother was a General Operator for the 32nd Generation of Wyvern Knights while my father was a patrol guard for the Adessa Wall, the barrier that protects Adessa from the Wastelands. They meet each other by pure coincidence when my mother lost her wallet in a shopping mall and the rest after that is history. Both of them fell in love, had me, then retired from the military to open this humble bakery along the main road of Adessa on the outskirts of District 5. 

>>>  

Adessa is divided into forty Districts, sections with each District protected by two Wyvern Knights who commands a force of soldiers, which serve as the police force in this world, and detectives. I live in District 5 which is one of the twenty-five residential districts in Adessa right across from District 8, another residential District. District 5 is known for inexpensive food and shopping in Adessa but no one would know about it unless they're a resident. Mari also lives in District 5, two blocks away from the bakery while Tim lives in District 8 right across the street from the bakery and a two-minute walk to the lift station. 

You would think that the son of a rich tycoon like Tim would be living in some sort of mansion or penthouse up in District 1, the Civic Center, flaunting off his wealth but truth to be told, Tim's parents are frugal as heck. Tim's family lives in a four-bedroom apartment complex with his parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and grandparents! The whole family of twelve is literally packed into there, Tim doesn't even have his own room! The only thing that differentiated Tim as a rich kid is his allowance. Tim literally has an allowance of 1,000,000 Riyal a month which is around the equivalent of 100,000 Singaporean Dollars back on Earth! He could buy a Lexus LX 2019! But what does he do instead? He only takes 100 Riyal every month and spends it in District 5 for cheap food and counterfeit clothing while the rest either goes to charity or to savings. However, I do have to brag. District 5 does have cheap food and it's good. You could buy a whole meal for under 5 Riyal with a nice drink and a dessert. It reminds me of the good old Singapore. Ah, I want chicken and rice may be some soursop juice too.  

Dammit, I went on another tangent. 

>>> 

Recovering from the impact of my mother's elbow, my father takes a look at me, wrapping his arm around my neck, before clearing his throat. 

"Since our Al has broken through to Rank 3, I figured we could hit the street food market a few blocks away and go on a food adventure to celebrate."

"Oh, that sounds great!" My mother said excitedly drool visibly falling down the side of her mouth. 

"Sure," I shrugged not really caring too much. I've known for a long time that they wanted to do this. They're using my breakthrough celebration as an excuse but I don't care, at least they are paying for the food. "When do we leave?" 

"Why now?" My mother replies. "Leave your things upstairs. Tonight, we shall feast!" 

"Fine by me." 

I'm dead. I'm sorry, I'm obsessed with incorporating food into all my works. If the story seems a bit fast-paced, don't worry it's going to slow down substantially and we won't be seeing the Wyvern Knights Exam for another seven to eight chapters. These first few chapters are mainly to provide context for what's to come and there is a lot of detail I want to get into. If you have any questions, please comment below but I can guarantee that most of the questions will be answered in future chapters. The cover for the novel will be finished next week so be patient.

 

1