Chapter 32 The Birth of No Man’s Land.
2.8k 20 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

August 25th, 1913

10 days after the Great War has Started.

Somewhere in Lublin, German Occupied Territory. 

Currently Advancing towards towards the borders of Russian owned Ukraine.

10:40 AM

[3rd Person POV]

"It seems the Russians have deadlocked us outside of the City of Chelm. This is quite a dilemma." Erich Ludendorff Said, as he was smoking his new cigar that was brought from Africa.

"Why don't we take the Baltic states? It seems easier to push there than to go to Ukrainian lands." Paul Von Hindenburg suggested as he was looking at the battle map.

"The issue is our supply lines. The Russians have been harassing it since day one and continue to harass it, which delays our push towards the city of Chelm. And even if we push towards the Baltic states, assuming the Intel we got is right that the Russians are weak, it will stretch our logistics lines. The Russian lands aren't exactly developed other than the railway tracks that they've built that we can requisition. The only issue I see is the precious time we spent on repairing and keeping the people on not revolting."

Max Hoffman out out his thoughts, which it was mostly agreed on since most of them want to end the war with the Russians as soon as possible since the war in the western fronts from reports, say that it's turning into a hellhole with both sides neither letting down on body count, and charging toward enemy lines.

"It is indeed a problem…but we are advancing somewhat thanks to Major Erika von Königsburg." Max Hoffman admitted bluntly.

"Oh? Is she the reason why we advanced about 143 km to the outskirts of the city of Lublin and we are in the process of occupying the city bit by bit." Erich Ludendorff replied with surprise.

"Yes, although she is as stuck as every officer in the Frontlines as the partisans along with Russians partisans are still active." Max lighted a match to his pipe as he continued to narrate what Major Erika did.

"But what Major Erika proposed was ingenious if I say so myself. She used the polish and the Ukrainians to form a small resistance to counter the Russian partisans that are living on their lands in exchange that we free their nations and grant them independence, which we can hopefully grant in the treaty that we have drafted when we defeat the Russian empire."

"The issue right now is the western front. Paul, I heard you're going there to take the overall command along with other senior officers. Can you enter Paris in under a year?" Max said, looking at Paul Hindenburg with an optimistic look as he himself also realized that the French won't give up so easily as Paul replied with a scoff.

"I doubt it, but our losses are minimal. But the issue is that the British are joining in, as well as the Americans are considering entering the war as well thanks to the British promised them land in Africa. Last I heard, they gave America an empty promise I presume, to  give western part of congo to the Americans as compensation along with some parts of Canada."

"Are the British high?" Erich said in a nutshell as the terms were tempting, but for the British to offer them, is straight up ridiculous and bullshit. And if it were true, the British would have lost Canada's trust.

"How can they guarantee that Canada won't just break away from them?" Erich said, still surprised as the artillery echoed in the distance as they were only 25 km to the front line of Lublin.

"No idea, our spies are also confused as well on the decision of the Prime Minister along with King George."

"And any update on the ottomans?" Erich inquired, to which Rudersdorf answered as he exhaled the smoke of his cigarette.

"So far, they're keeping their end of the bargain. But the British are enticing the Italians into backstabbing us, which is working somewhat since the Austrians aren't giving up Tyrol."

The others groaned at the problem at hand since if the Italian do join the entente, it would open up a new front that would pose more problems.

"Can we pressure the Austrians?" Max said, as he too, was frustrated as the artillery bombardment became more frequent now as the German artillery near the Frontline released a barrage to soften up the Russian army before the German soldiers charged in.

"I doubt the damn Austrians will bend the knee, since it's their land after all. And they'll defend it until they don't have to." Rudersdorf scoffly replied.

"I'm off to the western front now. Wish me luck and you'll see the news that we'll have crushed the French by pushing past Alsace-Lorraine, and into their capital like the old days."

"""Goodluck General."""

They all stood up and saluted Paul Von Hindenburg, who saluted in return as he departed with Erich and headed towards the western front to personally command it.

Meanwhile in the Frontlines near the City of Lublin

August 25th, 1913 12:21 PM.

[Erika's POV]

Hearing the loud thud of artillery never ceases to amaze me that I'm right here, sitting on a newly made trench line that isn't like ww1 style I saw from the internet and museums yet, but it'll get there since this war, even with my interference, will stagnate a bit since it's gonna be winter soon which poses a big problem for us.

Fortunately, most of my men and women under my command have winter clothing as well being well equipped, which in hindsight might've been my mistake since some of the officers now are asking where I got my equipment from and I'm forced to give them the same equipment we had, albeit half as good as ours.

"Major, are you sure we can't bombard Lublin to the ground?" One of my subordinates who is also a member of the society asked.

I replied "it goes against international laws, and even if we did it, history will condemn our actions and our future generations."

I rubbed my nose a bit as I continued.

"Plus, it would be fucking annoying if we face the tribunal, or worse a harsher treaty because of this. Is my order to treat anyone not Russian with treatment?"

"Yes, Major. Most of the Polish, Ukrainian, and some Lithuanians and Estonians have been gathered up and separated and sent home to their respective families."

"Good, it may cost some good manpower, but I can't afford a fucking rebellion right now in polish land, since we need to end the war with the Russians within a year if possible…but I fear we can't do that since winter is coming."

"I can agree on that, major."

"Hence we must advance towards the border of Ukraine before winter, and consolidate our gains, and bunker down as we slowly advance to minimize our losses."

"But…major, most of the noble officers won't follow that kind of order…"

My eyes twitched at my fellow nobles who were officers that seek glory and honor in the battlefield. I understand not all of them were incompetent or lacked the knowledge of warfare and military ingenuity. But the types of officers who think that human lives, our soldiers lives aren't being used in a proper way and just wasted in the battlefield just brings a sour taste in my mouth.

"Send to all the noble officers, especially the military officers that are loyal to the society to follow my orders. This only affects the eastern front, not the western front."

"Your orders are received, Major.  We will follow it to the letter."

I nodded, as I stared down at the tactical map I made myself and frowned at the north-eastern part of the Frontline having a hard time advancing thanks to the rivers acting as a natural barrier and booby trapping most of the towns, as well as partisans which I can presume it gave a massive headache to the ones in command there.

So far, we have only lost about 2,300 against Russia's 27,819 deaths which made me somewhat relieved but still vigilant since anything can go wrong.

Hearing the constant artillery exchange made me think that life is short, but it's a choice given the circumstances.

"Order the battalion and the rest of the officers to now advance and take Lublin as quickly as possible."

"Yes, major." With that, my subordinate whom is disguised as a society member exited the office I established near the Frontline as we converted a whole hotel into a large HQ base of operations which is convenient at times since it is a hotel after all.

Now let's take Lublin and move towards the border of Ukraine and force the Russians to commit more troops on this side. And hopefully Kaiser Wilhelm won't send Lenin to fix his problems. But knowing him, he would send him anyway to accelerate the defeat of Russia further.

I just hope my agents from Tsar Nicholas's side will help his family escape from a tragic fate. Although for Lenin, I doubt an assassination will succeed since I have already changed history so much that it won't be the same as my history when I reincarnated. So I need to be careful and thread carefully

I mounted my horse to head to the newly established trenchline facing the Russians and take command while thinking of how to end this damnable war.

Metz, France 

August 29th, 1913 2:18 PM

Trench warfare is slowly taking hold.

[A Young Soldier's POV named Paul]

Hearing the constant artillery all night long kept me awake and I haven't slept a lot since our commanding officer said that the french or the frogs as we call them will charge anytime, but thank god someone suggested we do overwatch in shifts, which saved most of us the time to sleep at least for even a few hours.

It's been almost 3 weeks since this war has started. I'm starting to miss my family, my home, and in all honesty, I start to wonder why I even join in as I saw my brothers and sisters being killed left and right as we only advanced about 5 km and we're outside of Metz, or whatever the hell this place is. All I know is that it's french land and we are here to occupy it.

"You okay there Paul?"

"Yeah Fred. It's just…I'm not used to this, I thought it would be an adventure, a thrill ride even, like one of our late father's who had medals and honor and they fought for their own respective country. But now I have realized that they didn't gain any honor nor medals just for nothing. We are already 3 weeks in, and we have already suffered a lot of casualties. And high command expects us to charge and do our duty for the fatherland."

"Indeed. But orders are orders. If we disobey, we might get court martialled. Or worse, executed by firing squad for either defecting or quitting the army . And we wouldn't want our families to suffer won't we?" Fred said, reasoning and finding logic to all things.

"I guess so. But those damn french are resilient aren't they?" They're like frogs that just won't die."

"Hahaha a good pun I must say, I just hope that the war will end by Christmas or this year. If not, then we are really in trouble."

I was about to reply when our Kommanding officer shouted.

"ALL OF YOU! POSITIONED YOURSELVES! WE ARE ABOUT TO CHARGE THE BLASTED FRENCH AND SHOW THEM THE MIGHT OF OUR GERMAN SPIRIT AND THE WILL OF OUR KAISER!"

I sighed as me and Fred head towards the ladders that we need to climb to exit the trenchline and charge towards the enemy.

I can't say I'm thrilled that I'm doing this because it's suicide and we all know it. But for us, we want to kill the french and end the war as quickly as possible and I think it is the same for the french as well and I wouldn't even blame them.

For me, there is no honor in the battlefield. Only war and bloodshed. God help me.

I stood next to the ladder as the man in front of me was awaiting the order to ascend and charge head on.

I nervously looked at the kommandant as he shouted.

"Denkt nicht an Hunger und Erschöpfung. Denkt nur an das großartige Deutsche Reich! Das preußische Volk erwartet einen unvergleichlichen Sieg! Für den Kaiser!"

("Don't think about hunger and exhaustion. Only think about the great German Empire! The Prussian people expect a peerless victory! For the emperor!")

After his pre battle speech, he grabbed his whistle on the front pocket of his and blowed the whistle, signaling the charge 

As I was ready to climb the ladder, the man in front of me fell down as he was headshotted by the incoming barrage of bullets that the french were giving us.

The kommandant snapped me out of it as he kept screaming

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? CHARGE! CHARGE FOR YOUR FATHERLAND AND FOR THE EMPEROR!"

I climbed the ladder and in front of me was a sea of dead bodies, foxholes, some made by artillery and some made by hand.

Barbwires, and many other things that made me sick to my stomach as I mentally tried to calmed down as my body automatically charged towards the enemy as I fired my rifle towards them as we kept charging and all that I kept thinking of was my soon to be wife, my family and friends, and the future of my homeland as it was my last thought as I was shot in the shoulder and the waist as I fell down in pain.

My fellow comrades ran past me, ignoring the fallen soldiers as my hearing was being blasted by oncoming artillery and constant machine gun fire and the last thing I felt was my body was being dragged by someone and all I could mutter was

"I'm hungry…"

Meanwhile on the French Side.

3 minutes before the Germans charged towards them.

August, 29th, 1913

[A Young spirited soldier's POV named Denis]

Looking at the battlefield in front of me, my face was a bit pale as this was my first ever war as I was conscripted and only been trained for a few months and stopped because of the war and we were shoved into the Frontlines and our task was to delay the Germans in overtaking metz completely which gave our commander strict orders to not abandon Metz.

"Are you scared?" 

I stared at the man on my left, who was named Antonin and we met during training in the camp. We have something in common and share some different tastes in music and literature but we became close after that and joked around occasionally here as I replied.

"A bit. But we are defending our homeland against the German menace after all."

Referring to the propaganda being blared throughout France as multiple sources confirmed that the Germans were oppressors and we're even gonna rob us, which is why I signed up for conscription and prepared to defend and even die for my country as Antonin grimaced a bit.

"Don't trust the propaganda machine Denis. Focus on what's in front of you right now."

"But they're conquering us like the government said and keen on wiping out our culture and our rights as French people! We have a longer history and culture than those fucking Krauts!x

Antonin just sighed as he couldn't argue with Denis over this as Denis was exposed to propaganda at a young age, and his father was a devout patriot and that changed his good friend. And all he could do was just be there for Denis and keep him alive and not do evil.

"Denis, trust me, not all Germans are bad. They're just as stuck as we are. Politicians doing their bidding and all. Be optimistic for once."

"Easy for you to say…since when you're a realist?"

"Since 7 years ago. Now keep your eyes in front."

I nodded as the constant exchange of artillery was still happening with the occasional machine gun fire as the commander shouted new orders.

"MOVE TO THE LADDERS! MOVE YOU ARE OUR DEFENDERS OF FRANCE! FIGHT FOR HER AND YOU WILL RETURN HOME AS HEROES!"

"NOW MOVE!"

As we got ushered onto the ladders, all I could think about is our home, our land, and especially our pride as Frenchmen as the man in front of me was on the foot of the ladder, ready to charge in at the whistle.

My heart was pounding as the artillery intensified for both sides as the commander shouted once more.

"Le général Pétain à foi en vous soldats, il est comme nous; un simple Français, animé par l'amour de la patrie! Battez-vous pour lui, et pour la France!"

"General Pétain has faith in you, soldiers. He is like us; a simple Frenchman, animated by the love for his country! Fight for him, and for France!" 

With the pre battle speech done, the commander grabbed the whistle and blew it, which signaled our charge as we all moved up the ladder and charged towards the German lines.

I saw my fellow french men and women dying left and right as I fueled my hatred to kill any Germans I come across as I spotted a German who was charging and shot him twice and goes down, as echo of gunfire and shouts of men and women filled my ears as if he'll descended upon this earth and all I could think of is revenge and family as I was shot 4 times somewhere in my body and fell down.

Antonin saw it, and quickly abandoned his charge to rescue me. I tried to scream that he should abandon me, but he wasn't having it as he dragged my body back to our side as he gave cover fire.

"Fucking Krauts…" the last thing I mutter before passing out from my wounds as astonin screamed for me to wake up amidst the surrounding gunfire and the echoing of artillery.

Meanwhile, while both sides were clashing.

Just 10 Km west of Metz.

A Requisitioned makeshift Headquarters of the French High Command.

[General Pétain's POV]

"How many died as of today Colonel?"

I said, with nerves shot, as I didn't have proper sleep as we were being pushed back town by town which frustrates me greatly as I waited for the colonel's answer.

Colonel Simon hesitated for a moment before saying the figures.

"We lost around 37,000 as of today."

"And pray tell why are we losing so much?"

Colonel Simon was silent on the matter as he knew why and just stared at me in silence as I looked at the map laid out on the table.

These past few weeks, we have few victories but we are still being pushed back due to the lack of fortifications and our troops were distracted since Belgium was being invaded and we had to send troops to help them as the British were also caught off guard and had to ask for help from us while they're amassing their forces.

Which led to our predicament as of now.

Good news is that the British will be sending around 700,000 in the next coming weeks, which will greatly help us since dealing with the force of around 5 million soldiers against ours isn't exactly ideal.

"Prepare to retreat, but destroy any military assets that we left behind. We cannot hold Metz for long. Let's hope Verdun can aid us in stopping this onslaught and stop the Germans from further advancing."

"Yes, General. But what about the Italians? Do you think they'll take the bait?"

I held a laugh as I replied with amusement. "With the Italians being greedy for more land? They'll bite it. Once they bite, make sure they commit to it. We don't have Italy backstabbing us after they did their deed."

"Of course, General."

"How is the conscription going?" I inquired from Colonel Simon.

"So far, it's going strong since our propaganda has ignited our nationalistic spirit and they all believe that their fighting the evil German menace along with the Austrian devil's."

"Good. Demonize our enemies as much as possible. Well worry about the repercussions when this is all over."

With that said, I ordered a full on organized withdrawal as we the officers quickly gathered everything valuable and burned the rest along with destroying some of the heavy equipment we can't carry as the Germans right now are pushing Metz hard along with the north facing a similar fate.

The Belgians are certainly holding, but I wouldn't trust them for now since they're colonies will be a bargaining chip in the future. It's a pity, but Belgium will be sacrificed for our victory soon enough.

With that, I completely left Metz in order to set up defenses surrounding Verdun and prepared to burn the forest if necessary to delay the German advance.

September 4, 1913 9:21 AM.

Metz Fell after almost a week. With the German forces celebrating their victory along with the Austrians, the Entente alliance are preparing for another defense as they're preparing another dirty trick to give them more time with pulling Norway and Sweden into this damnable war by doing false flag attacks.

The Germans however in the east, encountered more problems as the Russians kept attacking them relentlessly which stalled the German advance which gave Russians a breathing room while the Japanese were also equally frustrated at Vladivostok still not being taken after being shells for multiple weeks.

Tsar Nicholas has also issued a full on conscription, which puts Russia in a more desperate state than it already is.

Meanwhile, America is having arguments in Congress on either or not to join the war that's raging in Europe in the name of freedom and democracy, and even grab colonies in the Pacific and in Africa depending on how much the entente is willing to pay in order for them to join.

More and more countries in Europe are nervously looking at the war, worrying that they, too will be affected.

Total amount of Countries that have joined this war: 35

Total Casualties: 371,912 Dead.

The Frontlines as of now are shown Below:

The red lines is how far the Germans and Austrians have advanced for now. I'll try to put in more detail in future chapters but as of now it's hard finding a interactable map based on ww1 (wish I had one but I'm fucking poor haha) so apologies if it's a shit look.

Hello! hello! You're friendly author here with a another slow update which sad to say is my fault as I'm trying to find time making these chapters and being motivated at the same time.

But here it is! The war is kicking off nice and steady. I'll show off some fillers like some soldier sending letters to their families and love ones and showing how much suffering and he'll it is for each front. And I'll spice things up a bit by having more countries join in. As for how, I'm trying to figure that out.

Hence why I'm open to suggestions, recommendations and advices in the comment!

And once again I apologies for the slow update, but I'm gonna update soon that shows the entire German arsenal. If you want to know how much arsenal and soldiers have for the rest of the countries, do comment below if you want more of it.

Until then, this is Erika now signing off!

56