An Unstable Paradise
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


"We went into space hoping to defend ourselves from imperialist aliens. Yet we forgot to be unlike them." - Governor General Paul Santos, last ONUE Governor General of Esuvia.

United Nations Occupied Esuvia

Town of Tria - Southern Alterian Region

September 29, 2081

Anderson coughed inside his helmet as he stood ramrod straight in front of the electric fences in the perimeter of the Local UNPC Base he was currently stationed in.

It was already hours of guard duty for him, and it was utterly boring. For hours he stood there with his friend and squadmate on the other side of the base's checkpoint. The base was also placed in the Town Center, and so for hours, all he really did was watch civilians, mainly children, play around the streets.

Occasionally, UN trucks and convoys would pass the checkpoint and enter the base. Then they would leave. It was utterly boring. But there's a silver lining to all of it.

He checked the time on his HUD. It is currently 4:33 PM. He sighed. Ten more minutes to go.

"Helmet, can you play me some music?" He spoke boredly and immediately received a reply from the Helmet's simple AI.

"Playing Chill Playlist." He smiled in satisfaction as he listened to the music, slightly bopping his head. He watched a couple of Teratan schoolchildren walk in the road, who looked at him. Such curious beings they are, he often wondered how they felt like when they saw blue-helmeted armored men stand guard in some fancy building. Really, both his people and the natives are still unused to each other. Better give them a friendly image; that's what the higher-ups always said, so he waved at them.

He sighed as he watched the calm Town go on with their daily life. Soon, another native car drove by the road, carrying trade goods. He looked at it for a while. Watching old-school magical cars pass by never really gets old, especially in the monotony of his current job.

He looked back at his friend, who was currently silently standing on the other side of the checkpoint. Even with Blake covered in power armor, it was painfully obvious how bored he is, same as him.

He hummed and looked back at the peaceful town. For the six months he spent here, stationed in this area, it has been quiet, nay, it has been calm for the most part. He thought getting stationed in Esuvia, especially in former Grand Alliance territory, would mean violence; it seems that was a bit untrue. Not that he would complain.

And to be fair, Southern Alteria is primarily devoid of insurgents anyway.

"I wish it won't change." He smiled as he watched a group of dragon Teratan children playing tag in the streets. It was so peaceful. Yet he is currently in a wartorn alien world. Back then, when he was new, it was eerie, but now, he felt more comfortable.

"What was that, Anderson?" Blake's voice came through the comms. He immediately replies.

"The peacefulness, this world is beautiful, magical, and just good. War ruined many parts of it, still...I hope it won't spread here and destroy this beauty."

Blake chuckled.

"I see your photographer self is speaking." Anderson smiled at his remark. "Yeah, that's precisely why we're here, remember that? To protect and serve the people here. It's our job to prevent those who would harm them and serve them when they need it. We won't allow Southern Alteria to end up like the northern Alterian Provinces."

"Yeah, we are already making progress in the hearts and minds campaign here. We can't fuck it up."

"And we are not fucking it up, Anderson. There have been barely any insurgent attacks here. I tell you, it won't change. We are already beating those Grand Alliance remnants. They can't touch this place."

"Yeah, we can't let them touch this place." He stopped as an HM-LATV (High Mobility-Light All Terrain Vehicle) or the Hemlat drove toward the two from the base. The armored vehicle was painted white, with the letters "UN" painted on the driver's door.

The vehicle was almost similar to the old JLTVs the United States used back in the early 21st Century, the same vehicle they would always see charging toward alien forces, the Nagyar, in historical videos of the 2032 Nagyar Invasion of Earth. Like the old JLTVs, the Hemlat is just as iconic to modern UN forces.

Because just like her ancestor that defended Earth, the Hemlat is one of the Earthling vehicles leading the charge against hostile Aliens, except this time, it's them on the offensive.

Immediately, their squad Sergeant, Reynolds, stepped out of the Hemlat.

"Alright, you two, we're going on a routine patrol."

"But we're still on guard duty," Blake replied.

Two UNPC troopers walked towards them before stopping at the checkpoint.

"Yeah, about that seems like we're rotating out of schedule. You guys go to the patrol." One of the troopers replied to Blake.

Anderson didn't mind it, and he wanted to see the town and the countryside anyways and do a little bit of humanitarian stuff, so he went inside the vehicle. In moments, they were already driving through the eerily Victorian-Era-like town. Blake operated the machine gun atop the Hemlat while Anderson looked at the side windows as they passed the streets, people barely giving them much attention.

There are only four in the squad, Sergeant Reynolds, Anderson, Blake, and Jeremy.

Anderson bobbed his head as Jeremy played music. The inside of the Hemlat is exceptionally ergonomic and, honestly, comfortable, or at least as comfortable as a military vehicle could be.

As they drove through the town, he noticed a slight increase in UNPC troops. So far, they passed four squads of patrolling peacekeepers, and two other Hemlats also passed on the other side of the road.

He felt a bit uncomfortable at the thought.

"Sudden routine patrols, and increase of security, something smells fishy."

"Sarge, what's our task anyways? Aside from the routine patrols, I notice something seems...different today." Jeremy asked from the passenger seat as he checked the vehicle's computers and comm systems.

Reynolds continued looking at the road as he drove and replied.

"Something about a lost trading convoy near those dense forests up north. We're being sent to investigate."

That was strange, so Anderson asked a question.

"Investigate? Isn't that the UNDFs job?"

"Well, son, that's true, but we peacekeepers will be used for expanded security roles from now on. Manpower issues probably, it's hard to secure this entire world with nothing but the expeditionary UNDF, so the UNPC now needs to take more roles other than giving security and humanitarian assistance."

Jeremy frowned as he stared at the windshield while his eyes scanned the houses, stores, and people they were passing.

"I wonder when this thing will end, it's been three years since we arrived on this planet. We beat their governments to submission, yet this war seems far from over."

Blake then nodded in agreement.

"It's far from over. Before Earth unified, wars like this rarely ended after the main phase. Hell, this could take more than a decade. I bet that's why they are trying to contain the insurgency in the northern parts of the former Grand Alliance territory. They can't afford a planetary scale insurgency."

No, they really can't, Anderson concluded. Based on previous censuses and records, Esuvia is populated by 720 million people. The world is the size of Earth, with one supercontinent and other smaller ones. This means that to ensure that Esuvia is well secured and stabilized, they would need to station millions of Earthling troops. Especially since the last three years of their stay involved utterly massacring any organized opposition, turning the great armies of Esuvia into nothing but ragtag rebels stuck in hiding with either the Esuvian rough but beautiful geography or amongst Esuvian civilians.

Worse was the fact that due to the massive supercontinent, much of Esuvia is connected by land, and as a result, containing and isolating rebellions and insurgencies has been a bit of a struggle.

Since Esuvia is basically a fantasy world by Earthling standards, the utter collapse of any organized native states and armies has led to disaster. The first two years were marked with the UNDF and the UNPC trying their best to secure the civilian population as orcish and goblin hordes ravaged the countryside. Then they had to deal with an increasingly brutal insurgency.

"We still haven't even counted the bodies yet."

For all intents and purposes, Esuvia is currently a floating ball of a humanitarian crisis. It was only through sheer luck that Anderson found himself in a "stable" region.

"So, Sarge, what do you think happened to that convoy? Do we even have intel?" Jeremy asked.

"Aside from the fact that we found signs of fighting through satellite images, we also found two survivors reaching Tria two hours ago. Apparently, bandits attacked them."

"And we are the only ones being sent? Geez." Anderson groaned. This situation is currently getting more and more uncomfortable.

"Well, it's not like Tria is well-staffed. Currently, much of Centaur Company will have to stay and tighten security here. Plus, we are only going to investigate the area. Just get extra careful. Bandits are still bandits." Reynolds replied. The Hemlat turned in the streets of Tria, and just as it turned, a fruit slapped itself in the armored car's windshield, prompting Blake to turn the machine gun turret to one angry Teratan man on the streets.

Anderson immediately exited the vehicle, along with Jeremy. He heard Blake and Jeremy shouting and the angry man shouting at them too. People around the area began moving away, fearing an eventual fight.

He aimed his gun at the Teratan as he enabled his Helmet's translation software. Immediately, the man's angry ramblings sounded English. Anderson understood basic Alterian, the language of the Teratan people, but he trusted the translation software more.

Jeremy began shouting at the man in Teratan as he aimed his gun at the angry man, who, upon closer inspection, was holding a glowing knife.

"Fingers on the trigger, but don't go too far. We need to de-escalate."

"Sir put the knife down," Jeremy growled in a low voice, his gun trained straight at the man's face. Anderson personally aimed his weapon at the man's arms, ready to fire to disarm him.

"DON'T YOU DARE ORDER ME, YOU IMPERIALIST SCUMS!" The man shouted in anger. His horns were backward, letting Anderson know that he was a part of the draconic subrace of the Teratan race. Plus, he had the draconic subrace's telltale tail.

That meant this man was likely much stronger physically than the four of them combined. Not that it mattered, all it would take was one clean shot to dispose him.

But Anderson knew shooting angry civilians would only lead to more angry civilians. They are already walking through a thin string in their hearts and minds campaign, and they didn't need another reason to make them more unpopular to the people.

"Sarge, what the hell do we do?" Anderson asks over the comms as Reynold exits the vehicle. Moving towards the man, Reynolds didn't even take his rifle and instead opted to leave the car, then chamber a round to his pistol.

"Citizen, what is your name?" Reynolds asked the man neutrally. His helmet amplified his voice, and since his body was fully covered in powered armor, with his cold grey visor staring at the draconic man, it was understandable that the man flinched a bit.

"Yelsh Forteau! Remember that name, you imperialist scum!" The man snapped at them, but the UNPC Peacekeepers didn't even show a reaction. To the civilians watching, the scene formed an image that would make the ONUE propagandists cringe at the sight.

A white armored vehicle, three fully armed UNPC troopers clad in white power armor, a blue helmet that covered their entire face, and a massive machine gun trained at nothing but an angry young Teratan man carrying nothing but a knife.

It created an image of a cold, faceless, uncaring oppressor and a poor oppressed man. Not exactly the kind of image the United Nations wants to project to the native populace.

Not that they have much of a choice.

"Yelsh Forteau, I suggest you bring such complaints to the town administrator. Let us not create a scene that may lead to unintended consequences..." Reynolds replied in a neutral voice.

Anderson noticed that nothing was de-escalating, not that he didn't expect it. His squad and his Platoon, in general, are really more focused on providing security than actually talking and helping civilians.

Oh sure, they could help deliver aid packages, rescue civilians, provide some medical aid, etc., etc., but negotiate with angry civilians? That's the job of other units.

He sometimes wonders if they would be better off being in the UNDF instead of the UNPC.

The man's knife began burning. It seems that he is pissed and is channeling fire magic to his knife. At least, that's what Anderson deduced.

In response, his finger itched on the trigger.

"I have already talked to the Mayor of this town four times, but you imperialist scums are still here! That obviously doesn't work!"

"Shit, are we gonna have to fire at him?" Blake's voice sounded in the comms.

"Hopefully not," Anderson replied as he watched Sergeant Reynolds and the angry dragon man converse in a hostile manner.

A minute passed as the man lobbed insults and outrageous demands at Reynolds, but Reynolds continued instructing the man to simply put his knife down and complain at the Mayor instead.

Reynolds was already almost about to order a shoot-to-wound order since the man was clearly armed and capable of magic when a loud female voice shouted from the crowd.

"YELSH! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" A young blonde Teratan woman, probably in her 18s based on Earthling age, pushed her way through the crowd and shouted at the Yelsh.

"Leiah? Fighting back these imperialists scums, of course?"

"You dumbass, can't you see that they would shoot you to death? Are you drunk? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Leiah! You have to understand this is for our future! We can't allow these filthy otherworlders to taint our world!"

"What nonsense! You know you can't challenge them. Get back home and go do your chores, you stupid caveman!"

The girl was absolutely furious. To Anderson, it looked almost like two siblings or a couple fighting. He always wondered how the people in this world were so like them yet unlike them simultaneously. It also served as a reminder to him...no matter how different they are, they are still people.

In that brief moments, it seemed that the furious girl slapped sense to the man as he conceded. His knife lost its glow, and the man walked away while being shouted at by the girl.

Anderson released a breath he didn't realize he was holding and sighed afterward. At the very least, things worked out in the end. People began dispersing away, chattering amongst themselves.

He overheard most of them commenting that the man was right but stupid for challenging them.

"Seems like the only reason these people aren't fighting back is that they are scared of us. That's not exactly great." Jeremy said as he returned to the vehicle with Anderson and Reynolds.

"Can't say I blame them. We've invaded their lands, after all." Blake commented, which earned a groan from Reynold.

"Blake, can you avoid using that darned word in my presence again? I demand you all use the word "liberated" from now on. IS THAT CLEAR?"

"Crystal clear, sarge," Blake responded. Jeremy and Anderson said differing variations of it, but the trio agreed. No use in fighting because of semantics, after all.

The trio entered the Hemlat as Reynolds reported back to command.

"Centaur, this is Baseplate One-Two, incident concluded. Permission to proceed to the original objective, over."

"Copy that, Baseplate One-Two, good job out there. It would have been painful if it had escalated. Permission granted, out."

Reynold breathed out a sigh of relief.

"That could have gone better."

"Yeah, Sarge, I think you should improve your negotiation skills." An annoying voice chimed in the comms.

"Shut the fuck up, Blake."

...

Driving through the Esuvian countryside is one hell of an experience. That's all Anderson could think as they went through the unpaved road toward the forests. The afternoon light, those orangish clouds, the massive yellow fields of flowers, those distant mountains and waterfalls creating a medium-sized river in the plains.

It was almost like a painting.

They soon crossed the river with a concrete bridge. The Hemlat, while light by Earthling standards, is still pretty heavy for a civilization seemingly in the Victorian Era. Yet, the bridge surprisingly held their vehicle well, and to the four, it was apparent how, as the bridge lets off a faint yellow glow.

"Heh, it's magic again."

Their vehicle quickly crossed the bridge, and they sped through the other side. The four stayed utterly silent, alertly watching their surroundings and watching the gorgeous Esuvian countryside.

Until Blake broke the silence.

"Would you look at that, a wyvern flock?" He commented as he pointed at the skies. Anderson and Jeremy looked at it, and there in the far distance were hundreds of Wyverns flying in a massive group.

Anderson didn't waste time and pulled out his camera and took three pictures of them. It was surprisingly well taken considering the speed they were going, but as a photographer, it was no problem for him.

Once it was over, he returned to staring at the countryside as they passed through it. He felt a bit thirsty for a moment, so he took his canteen and drank from it.

The monotony of it all was broken as two UNAF F-12 fighters zoomed above them, going straight in the direction of Northern Alteria.

After that, they passed a lone sign in the road as the sun slowly set down. The message was a simple UN warning sign.

"Wotri Forest Ahead.

Medium Risk Area.

We advise you avoid this place.

- ONUE Astar Province Administration"

The sign, however, was defaced by a massive red "Fuck off baby killers!" graffiti. The four noted it but continued on and didn't really pay much attention to it.

As the sun went down, Reynolds finally ordered them to prepare for possible combat.

Anderson stared at his Blue Mark 2 Helmet. Its grey visor reflects his face. With a young 22 years old face, brown eyes, and black hair, he looked practically like every average man. He still remembers those days when he was but a simple photographer before he joined the UNPC to see other worlds in order to capture new moments, sceneries, and stories.

And the helmet reminded him of his new identity. He's now a peacekeeper, a member of the United Nations Peacekeeper Corps. Deployed far away from Earth, on an unstable, wartorn, fantastical, and magical world filled with creatures literally out of storybooks and filled with aliens...no, people that are currently stuck in misery and suffering.
Their job is to change that. To bring peace and stability to these people. To ensure that the beauty he has seen, captured, and enjoyed with his own eyes will prevail in this world.

He places his Helmet on his head as his HUD opens up. And now, he is back at his job.

The Hemlat sped through the already darkening forest, its path lit by the Hemlat's powerful headlights. The white color of the vehicle made it stand out sorely in the forest greens.

"Baseplate One-Two, be advised, possible survivors in the Convoy. And possible hostiles nearby. Proceed with the utmost caution, over."

"Copy that Centaur, out," Reynolds replied as the Hemlat sped further. Blake turned the main gun left and right, as they finally noticed fire coming from the convoy's direction.

Immediately, scattered rifle fire slammed into the Hemlat. It didn't scratch their armor, but it placed them on engage mode.

"CONTACT! Centaur, this is Baseplate One-Two we are engaged!" Reynolds said as Blake turned the machine gun toward the rifle fire. Immediately hot .50 BMG gunfire spewed toward the hostile forces hiding in the dense forest.

The Hemlat sped toward the three damaged cars on the road. One was already on fire, but Reynolds saw what was hiding in the first one.

There, two people took cover, while on the roads, corpses of Esuvian riflemen, possibly security, were seen. The Hemlat slammed its brakes in front of the duo as Blake laid down cover fire.

Immediately, Anderson and Jeremy exited the car, and what greeted him was two young Theikan women, one of them seemed to be in her 16s, and the older one around his age. The younger one stared at him as if he was some sort of a hero about to save her while the second one aimed her ornately designed pistol at him.

He didn't aim his gun back at her in response, no point in antagonizing victims, worse yet, civilians, so he opted to introduce himself instead.

"Specialist Harold Anderson, United Nations Peacekeeper Corps, we found out you guys were in trouble."

The woman frowned in response, her golden halo slightly lowering its brightness.

"You all took too long." She replied as she put down her pistol and stared at him blankly. "Katelyn Montalet."

"You should take cover." She continued, which Anderson took as a cue to go towards the cover of their car. Checking the vehicle a bit, he doubted that it was armored enough to block bullets, but each time a rifle fire hits it, a violet shield is activated around the area.

Anderson raised his eyebrows inside his helmet, which she somehow understood.

"My magic." She explained bluntly.

Anderson was about to ask further but was stopped by a hand pulling him from the other side.

"Mister Human." The other girl gave him a pleading look. "Can you please get us out of here? I doubt Kate's magic can last much longer...and I can't cast shields yet..."

"Well, we didn't expect survivors..." A growl of annoyance came from the other girl. "But we certainly will. Anyways, what the hell are you guys doing in this forest anyways? You know this is a dangerous route. And what the hell is a bunch of Lethians doing in Alterian Land?"

"It's surprising that you even refer to this place as "Alterian Land" human, but the reason we are here is none of your business." The woman named Katelyn replied.

"For now, it's not our business yet, lady." Reynold's voice boomed as he took shots in the gunfire's direction. "But soon it will be, and you two will be questioned intensively on Tria."

"Tsk, can you lot just get us out of here now?" Katelyn replied.

Jeremy fired another burst at the enemy before shouting at them from the Hemlat.

"Sarge, I think we still have some space in the Hemlat. We can allow them in and bugger off from here quickly. It seems that there are more of them coming."

"Girls, go inside our vehicle. Let's get the fuck out of here." Reynolds ordered, and she nodded. The three of them stood up as the younger woman practically bolted straight to the backseat while Reynolds and Jeremy rushed towards the Hemlat.

Blake continued firing while Anderson fired multiple bursts at the signatures seen in his HUD as they slowly retreated toward the Hemlat until someone stopped him.

"Mister, can you please point in the direction of those bastards?" Looking back, it was Katelyn. He looked at his HUD and saw seven or so bunched up in the distance.

He pointed his finger toward it, and immediately Katelyn aimed her pistol in the same direction. The gun immediately glowed pink, almost as if it was charging, and then, it fired.

An explosion engulfs the seven bandits or insurgents or whatever those guys were as their signatures practically disappear. As for Anderson, he almost felt a chill in his spine. That display of power reminded him that they were dealing with magical and powerful people, no matter how technologically inferior they were.

"That was for killing my guards." She spat coldly at their direction before turning to him. "Thanks, Anderson."

"My pleasure, miss." He replied as she finally entered the Hemlat. Anderson followed her and slammed the doors shut. Immediately Reynolds slammed his feet on the accelerator.

Immediately the Hemlat surged forward before turning. Blake turned back his machine gun towards the enemy and fired more bursts. Multiple shots also hit the Hemlat, some of which slammed into the Hemlat's turret, causing Blake to duck down a bit.

In moments, they were already speeding away from the scene, and Anderson breathed out in relief as the gunfire died down. That was actually the first firefight he found himself in. In fact, he's a bit surprised he didn't panic when he was shot at and saw multiple dead bodies.

"So, Miss Katelyn, mind explaining what the hell you are all doing over there?" Reynolds asked in a neutral voice. Jeremy, Anderson, and Blake opted to stay silent instead.

"I do not need to explain myself to a mere commoner footsoldier." She replied back in posh English. Well, at least, English for Earth. Apparently, in Esuvia, it's called Lethish.

Reynolds sighed in response. It seems they found themselves in the presence of two Lethian Aristocrats.

And, as far as the average UN soldier experience showed in their last three years in Esuvia, if you're not at least a commissioned officer, like, say, a Captain, the nobility will usually treat you as dirt.

"Miss, when I ask a question, you will answer it. We just saved both of your skins."

Anderson thought he saw a vein pop in the irritated lady's head, but that's probably false.

"Tsk, fine, we were headed towards the Estate of the Astar Count. Count Lithelm von Drakard. Unfortunately, we were ambushed."

"Count Drakard has long since lost his power to the local Astar Council and the ONUE Astar Administration. And I wonder what a Lethian noble wants from an Alterian noble."

"Why do I have to explain everything to a bunch of commoners?"

"Because Esuvia is currently under martial law, that means my words, and any words of any UN military personnel, is law."

"Ugh...fine, we wanted to negotiate a deal with Count Drakard regarding a special artifact, which he needs. We are currently carrying it. And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is for. I already have papers that approved me to carry it anyways." She pulled out a document signed by the ONUE Military Governor of the Montalet Province, Lethia.

Reynolds hummed until he realized something.

"Montalet, huh? You two are high in the Lethian Aristocracy?" Reynolds asked.

"Dad's a duke." She replied, tired from the conversation.

"I see." The Hemlat grew silent as they drove out of the forest. Anderson didn't speak, nor did Blake, and Jeremy didn't play music. Instead, they looked at the countryside. Anderson, in particular, eyed any movement. If they don't want to discuss what happened, which he understands, he'll just make himself useful.

Until a soft voice interrupts the silence.

"I-I'm sorry my big sis is a bit cold. We just lost many friends over there...I'm Sherry Trishia Montalet by the way. Thanks for saving us."

Well, at the very least, someone is grateful for what they did, Anderson thought.

"What a hell of a patrol."

Abbreviations Meaning/Word Context

ONUE: Opérations des Nations Unies en Esuvia - The interim military government established by the United Nations in Esuvia.

UNDF: United Nations Defense Forces - The armed forces of the United Nations of Earth. They operate under the United Nations Security Council.

UNPC: United Nations Peacekeeper Corps - A separate but de facto branch of the UNDF. They are officially meant to only provide humanitarian assistance and security to civilians and broker peace in wartorn regions, especially after the Nagyar Invasion of Earth back in 2032. Their roles have since changed and expanded as the UN colonized space.

UNAF: United Nations Air Force - Under the UNDF, they are the air force of the UN.

Teratan - The race that comprises the majority of the nation of Alteria. There are multiple subraces, the main ones being the Demons and the Draconic subrace.

 
Theikan - The race that comprises the majority of the nation of Lethia and the majority race in Esuvia. They are a magical human-like race, with the main difference being their golden halo and their powerful magic. They are considered to be the leaders of the "Holy Races".

Grand Alliance - A native alliance between the "unholy" races, which the Teratans/Alterians led. They were at war with the Holy Empire of Lethia and their allies before the United Nations entered Esuvia and crushed both factions. Currently, Grand Alliance remnants continue to fight on with a brutal insurgency in their former territories, notably in the Northern Alterian region.

2032 Nagyar Invasion of Earth - An invasion of what was later identified as lost pirates of the Nagyar Horde, it was more of a raid by desperate lost pirates instead of an invasion. Due to the turmoil of the 2020 decade, Earthling nations militarized space, with US and China leading the charge. When the Nagyar Pirates arrived, the Space Forces of Earth fought back hard, and with sufficient use of nukes and other experimental weaponry, destroyed and captured some of the already badly battered Nagyar Pirate fleet. Still, 244 Million people died in the 3 months war, and with the amount of tech recovered from the fleet, and with Earth discovering FTL and that aliens are out there, the event has largely shaped what humanity is in the modern era.

From the rapid expansion and militarization of space, unification, and breakneck technological advancements, to the intervention in Esuvia and its eventual occupation, it was all fueled by the paranoia and xenophobia against aliens (especially the Nagyar) experienced by humanity post-invasion.

Centaur - Callsign of Centaur Company

Baseplate One-Two - Callsign of Sergeant Reynold's squad.

2