Chapter 82: The Gathering
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saya wasn’t the same from when she left Al-Shinkyou to coming back from the Dineh Kazaàd. After the ordeal she returned to Azutami, where her parents searched for her whereabouts for months. They chastised her, because Saya never told her parents about entering the tournament in the first place. But at the same time, they were only glad that their only daughter made it back safely. Saya was of age, and was permitted to make her own decisions.

The overthrowing of the Dineh Kazaàd changed the course of history. The Tasdahan throne was left vacant, as the previous sultan Miyuydahaj already fled the minute the Rebellion sprawled out of control. Tensions between Azutami and As-Z̆onghu̐a did subside for bit, but only did they rise again when the Azu emperor learned of the Crown Prince’s meddling in the affairs of Tasdaha, a territory of Azutami. A few months would pass before Saya got an invitation from Zhen.

The fourth day in the month of Najm. After months of rehabilitation, Saya was able to make the trip from Rümqî to Lāoyuàng 'Aimag, bringing only herself and a sack. Upon setting her eyes upon the peninsular city, she was immediately captivated by the similarities between her home and As-Z̆onghu̐a. The gabled buildings and stone paths, along with the luxurious Jade Palace. It was her first time being in the country. As they escorted her into the hall of the Guizu, she was greeted by familiar faces. Ayai Toya, Tvuj Hosyi, and her grandmother.

“Saya…” Kyukko prostrated herself before her, “I’m so sorry for what you’ve been through. I shouldn’t have put you through this…”

Saya got down on her knees, lowering herself. Her face was stern, and her silver hair now reached down to waist’s length. She said nothing, but comforted her Obaa.

“Saya,” Tvuj gave a deep bow, “Your Obaa-san have taken very good care of me. But please tell me one thing… did the others?...”

Saya stood up slowly, and simply hugged her. Tvuj got the message, as she tried to keep her own face calm.

“So is Suruj?”

Silence passed. Saya saw how many emotions Tvuj hid in her eyes.

“I don’t know.”

Back in the arena, Suruj broke the barrier so Zhen could enter from above in the next round. Suruj disappeared soon after. On Toya’s account, she used a spell to teleport him somewhere. It was a last ditch effort, so Suruj could have been teleported in the middle of a town, or in the middle of the desert, or even in God’s Basin. Saya relayed her knowledge to Tvuj.

Zhen appeared from the entrance and brought them into the main office of the Laoyuang House. From there, a man sat staring into space from his desk. It was full of clutter, with scrolls and other paraphernalia strewn across the floor. He was the Guizu of the House, Laoyuang Shång. They all bowed to his presence.

“The reason you were brought here today was so that thou wouldst all be compensated,” Zhen spoke clearly. Shång got up from his desk.

“It is of great honor to meet thee in the tranquil sun of day,” He wiped his forehead, his eyebags visible, “I’m sure my youngest son has had some issues, yet I loved him so dearly…”

“I apologize, but your son has taken care of us more than he ever could,” Tvuj answered him, speaking confidently. Saya remained quiet.

“I see… When he decided his career as a translator, it was opposed by all of the Laoyuang House. However I made sure I sheltered him from criticism, and ensured his Sìyì education. Zhen.”

“Yes father,” The Crown Prince fixed his hanfu, while pulling out a recognizable letter, “My little brot- Kwazhak was the one that taught us Khoit. Hence why we are able to converse with you today. On his final days, he sent to the Jade Palace his will,” he opened it, to which the condition of the parchment was pristine, “To summarize his will, I shall say three points. One, every person associated with him shall be granted asylum into As-Z̆onghu̐a. Two, Izdaha Saya, in addition to any other muqatil, shall be rescued from Tasdaha by any person of any House. And last, a portion of his wealth shall be distributed to any associated persons, to compensate for the repercussions of his actions.”

Saya didn’t say a word. The stillness in her reaction made everyone turn their heads. Toya asked if she was okay, but still she shook her head.

“We shall do any in our power to fulfill Kwazhak’s wishes. At this time, why don’t thee enjoy our nation and visit our monuments?” Zhen suggested, acting as a guide.

“Is there a place that Kwazhak visited a lot?” Saya said her second set of words since arriving. The Crown Prince thought about it.

“There is one place. He and Kiyomiya Lojuno used to frequent there when Officer Kiyomiya spent his vacation days in the city,” Zhen went to the shelves and found a map. He set it on the desk across and marked the location with his finger. “Pingjing Shoal. Although the tide has already risen in the past month. I believe the beach there is-”

“We will go,” Tvuj grabbed Saya’s hand, and did a courtesy. “Obaa-san, are you coming as well?”

“This fragile body is still recovering from a sahar spell I used in the Azu capital. Go on.”

“If you would please excuse me, but I will accompany Tvuj and Saya,” Toya bowed very low, while the two already walked out the double doors.

“That’s a seventy-degree bow, Ms. Toya. No need for such formalities, or perhaps thee still needs to adjust to normal life in this world,” Zhen bantered for a quick moment. She shifted her glance away.

“Tch- Please excuse me.”

“Wait,” He gestured, walking towards her. “There’s one last addendum to Kwazhak’s will. On behalf of both the Laoyuang and Al-Qarakh Houses, we shall officially apologize about the atrocities committed by our ancestors. We hope that thou shalt be compensated for the complete loss, and ask thee in helping us rebuild what we destroyed.”

Zhen bowed down in front of her, on his knees. Saya and Tvuj waited behind the door. They didn’t hear her response.

A Laoyuang chauffeur drove the three down to the shoal. It seemed as if the country was nothing but beautiful scenery. By the time they approached the low elevations, Pingjing Shoal was nothing but open sea. The sandbar was submerged, but the three of them could still walk without the water reaching their waistline. The chauffeur briefly pardoned himself, while he waited in the buggy.

Saya, Toya, and Tvuj stood at the edge where the ridge sloped down into the seabed in front of them. The cold breeze blew their hair. Saya held the sack in her hands. The sky was blue.

“So there’s a chance Suruj is alive, right?” Tvuj turned her head, “And the tournament is gone. But Thiệu…”

Most Kazaàd corporations dissolved soon after the Dineh Kazaàd did. The KWKK, Yan-Kyou, Zhü, Ksung-Pa, they all closed down. But for Al-Wa, it fragmented into several pieces. That man, Thiệu Addja, was still alive. Somewhere in this world.

“We’re free now, Saya. We can go and track him down,” Tvuj figured. Toya crossed her arms.

“Since I have nowhere to go, I will assist you in finding this ‘Thiệu’,” The former champion vowed, but Saya was still silent. She opened the sack. Suruj’s gray Al-Wa uniform, Mouka’s fleece sweater, Mashuu’s clock, Kwazhak’s sword, Jun’s shackles, Jose’s gauntlets, among others. The funeral parlor from Tasdaha gave her the artifacts a few days after she returned to Azutami.

She offered them up, while Toya and Tvuj took a portion of the artifacts and did the same. The chronicle of the 1978 Dineh Kazaàd was coming to a close.

These are the small tales of Yahmajô̗ Alą̧̄utl.

What does this world mean to you?

0