ch16 Widen your perspective!
8 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... So that son-in-law of mine, which you recall is a martial arts instructor, he took my poor precious granddaughter to learn martial arts at his dojo!"

"Mhm."

I nod in affirmation.

"My granddaughter is fragile. She doesn't have the same strength I had when I was her age, you know!"

After bringing some shopping to Mrs Grace, we talked for a bit, then I helped her clean. Why do I need to help her clean? Well, she really likes having a deep clean now and then, but that requires moving all the furniture around a bit to clean under and behind them. So I thought I'd offer to stick around and help out, since I usually help out with stuff anyway.

During this time, Mrs Grace recounted a bunch of stories from when she was younger, and is currently telling me all about this "wretched son in law" of hers.

"He doesn't even take it seriously. It's all just an excuse to play violently."

I'm not sure how true any of this is. She hasn't said a single good thing about him yet so it sounds more like she just wants to vent some frustration out. Shortly after we finished cleaning, Mrs Grace finishes telling her story...

Errm, rant... about her son-in-law and his daughter.

"'I'm a martial arts expert!' He says, while he limps around with a black eye from sparring a student of his! 'It was just a small sparring accident.' He says, while he refuses to sit down in his chair because his sore backside!"

Β I laugh as Mrs Grace attempts to act out the scene.

"...If my granddaughter gets even a single bruise due to one of his 'sparring accidents', I'll skin him alive!"

Mrs Grace stops talking to take a sip of some coffee she made for herself. As an aside, she had also poured me a cup of water, knowing that I don't drink coffee. After placing her coffee back on the saucer, she started tapping the saucer as she habitually did after she finished speaking.

Now I think about it,Β  Isn't Mrs Grace quite knowledgable about subsystems?

I know from her stories that she used to work as a hero, back when she was younger. I also know from her stories that she's had multiple subsystems in the past, so maybe she knows about how to deal with one?

I decide it's worth asking her about.

"Mrs Grace, can I ask you about subsystems?"

"It's 'May', not 'can', dear."

"May I ask you about subsystems?"

"Of course!"

I try and explain my situation, without going into too much detail.

"So Recently I got a task from a subsystem. I managed to do one task from it already, and it gave me a second task, but it..." I struggle to find the right way to put this. "...Doesn't really seem to align with my intentions. I don't think it's appropriate for me."

The sound of tapping fills the room as Mrs Grace processes what I just said.

"I'm not entirely sure I understand, dear. Why would a subsystem align with our intentions?"

"I mean, I- I want to be a hero, but I feel like following this subsystem will push me further away from that goal. So I was thinking that I should ignore it, and it would go away. It's doesn't seem to be going away, though, and I'm worried about it. I think that if it sticks with me, I won't be able to become a hero."

I inelegantly blurt out my worries to her, but I feel better after saying it. After hearing her response, I feel like I made the right decision to tell her.

"I understand."

"Really?"

But I only felt that small elation for a moment.

"Of course! You're afraid to try something new!"

Huh? I am?

"But my dear, everyone is scared to try something new!"

Wait, no I'm not! This and that are completely different!

"When I was around your age, I was also scared to try new things. I was scared I would find myself in an uncomfortable position, that I would lack the talent required to complete those lofty goals."

"I-"

"But then I realised, if I never tried new things, I could never improve myself! I would become stagnant, never learning, never discovering, and never trying. But you know? One day I decided to face the world head on. I never regretted it since."

Mrs Grace pointed out of the window, trying to inspire me.

"So go and do it! Do whatever the subsystem wants you to try and do!"

This subsystem wants me to shoplift!

"Try new things, and get a new perspective of the world!"

Like go to prison and get a perspective of the world from there?

Well, it might be interesting to see how the inside of a prison fuctions, but I would pass on going there as an inmate. I take a brief moment to ponder prison life, but soon snap back into reality.

"Who knows? You might find that you and this subsystem have more in common than you think."

Noooo!

I don't want to have things in common with it!

Mrs Grace pauses for a moment, then raises her hands to her face in shock.

"Oh dear. Maybe that was too excessive of me?"

Yes. Yes it was.

I curb my thoughts and try to respond politely.

"Maybe a bit."

"Oh. Well in that case, how about this: if you really aren't sure what to do, draw a line. Decide on something you know you really don't want to do. And if the subsystem gives you a task that crosses that line, don't do it. However, if it doesn't cross that line, try it out! There's no point in not using the system to your advantage, after all!"

Β I bring my hand to my forehead while I think about what she says. After a short pause, I reply.

"That makes sense."

"If a subsystem really doesn't fit well with you, it will choose to go to someone else. So try and get along with it while you still have it with you. It might not be as bad as you think."

"Okay."

I nod, satisfied with the answer. However, Mrs Grace seems to have an idea about something, so she continues speaking.

"Ah, and if you're worried about it affecting your career as a hero, why not get some extra credit for it?"

"Extra credit? I'm not aware SIT offers any extra credit."

"No, I mean with the police!"

Mrs Grace starts tapping the saucer again as she leans forward. She then speaks in a quieter voice than usual, as if about to tell me a great secret she had been keeping.

"Over the holidays, which ever one suits you best, volunteer for patrol duty over in East Trigon."

East Trigon referred to the region of Trigon that had been taken over by criminal organisations. Twenty years ago, a villian by the nickname "Destructrolo"- self given, I should add- went across the region in a rampage destroying as much property as he could. After about a week of battle against entire squadrons of heroes, Grey Knight finally caught him.

However, in that one week of battle, East Trigon had turned into a wreck. Rather than rebuild it, the government left it as it was and just built more estates elsewhere. Because of that, Trigon city's gangs and criminals started using locations in East Trigon as hideouts and bases of operation. In other words; it's now a lawless zone.

"You should be able to volunteer for it through SIT. It's mainly meant for second years wanting to tip their toes into practical work, but nothing says a first year can't join as well. You just have to tell people to stay away from the fence, and report any suspicious loiterers."

Mrs Grace fills me in on some of the how's and why's of patrol duty.

After she explains, I am about to give my thanks and leave, but Mrs grace starts telling another story.

"So anyway, let me tell you about this wretched son-in-law of mine."

I raise my eyebrow.

"I can tell that you're interested. He isn't anyone noteworthy. He's just some punk who managed to trick my daughter into marrying him. He's a real shallow character. No hint of a gentleman's attitude at all."

This sounds familiar. Oh no.

My eyes widen slightly as I realise what's going on. Mrs Grace seems to take that as a sign to continue, clearly proud of her storytelling skills.

"Yes! He happens to be a martial arts instructor. Not a very good one, mind you. He just likes shouting in a loud voice and having people listen to himself. His actual skill is subpar. Anyway, so a while ago, I found out that..."

I smile politely at Mrs Grace, who continues to retell the exact same story she had just told.

Mrs Grace, I really love listening to your stories. And I think of you like my own Aunt, but this is too much!

Occasionally, Mrs Grace would forget which stories she had already told, and repeat herself. It wasn't like she did it on purpose- you could tell from her genuine excitement that she thought she was telling me something new. This happens to be one of those times.

"...So we all went to the dining room next door, and he started shifting around, as if uncomfortable about something. And Melinda- that's my daughter- started snickering at him. Well, I didn't understand what was so funny, so I just decided to sit down. Then my grandaughter sat right next to me, in front of the clock..."

Completely unaware of this fact, Mrs Grace continues telling her story. Again.

1