Chapter 174 – Girls Versus Boys
96 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I take it you had slept well, Mister Narias,” Professor Zeanlor asked after Narias joined him. The teacher probably woke up some time ago and was having a drink while waiting for the students to wake up.

“Ah, yeah…” Narias rubbed the back of his head, feeling embarrassed. Narias could never say he had a bad sleep when he had three beautiful maidens curl around him, making his sleep not only comfortable, but also very soft. Blankets could offer only so much in terms of softness after all.

“If I may be so direct, Mister Narias, your party seems to work very well together.” The teacher felt like complimenting him.

“Thank you, Professor Zeanlor. We train together and… we’re friends too…” Narias tried to sound casual about it.

“Yes, I could see that,” Karineus Zeanlor took another sip from his cup. “It was quite an ingenuous way to navigate the dungeon, if I may say so. Your ability to keep track of your surroundings is extraordinary. Not many students can boast of such skills. I would be curious to ask where have you learn it?”

“Oh, aah… I just… came up with it, I mean, I wanted to test it the first time I tried it and it brought us to the boss monster’s lair eventually. I didn’t know whether it will work or not. The main reason I came up with this navigation method, because I didn’t want us to get lost,” Narias didn’t know how to explain it.

“Of course, I understand. If we are on the topic, have you considered of becoming a Guide, Mister Talrone?” The stoic teacher asked in a calm, serious voice.

“A Guide?” Narias knew who, or what, the Guide was. Just like Professor Zeanlor now, the person would join a group to accompany them into the dungeon. It was a very responsible job, however. First, you’d have to be strong enough to protect the group if something was to go wrong and you’d have to be able to find your way around to lead everyone out of the dungeon. “But… I’m not sure if I am good enough to become a Guide.”

“That is true. You’d have to be strong enough to at least defeat the boss monster on the second floor on your own and you need to be able to find your way around the dungeon. The first requirement is easily achieved by anyone who is willing to put in some training to become stronger, the second requirement is not so easily achieved, unfortunately. You may be the strongest spellcaster out there, but if you cannot find your way out of the dungeon, you will never see the daylight again.” It was a very delicate way of Karineus Zeanlor saying you’d end up dead.

“Right… I’ll have to think about it,” Narias understood the validity of the professor’s words.

“Also, the pay for escorting a group into the dungeon is quite respectful too. I believe it might benefit you well, Mister Narias,” Professor Zeanlor added a very lucrative motive for Narias to consider it seriously.

“Really?” Narias turned his head to face the teacher directly.

“Of course. The Guide is always risking his or her life and it is a very responsible job too. It is only natural for them to be rewarded accordingly,” Karineus Zeanlor sounded like he was pushing Narias to become a Guide which made Narias curious. As if reading his mind, the professor added. “As for the reason why I am telling you this, the academy is short of capable Guides right now. People with great navigation skills are rarer than you might think and I would hate to see your talent go to waste.”

“I see. Thank you for sharing it with me, Professor Zeanlor. I love exploring the dungeon and if becoming a Guide will help me go into the dungeon more often, I’ll work hard to become one.” Narias was glad the teacher was so generous to share such vital information with him.

“That is no trouble at all,” and Narias had a rare opportunity to witness a soft smile creep on the teacher’s mouth.

Growly was the next one to wake up. Or maybe he wasn’t really sleeping, because Growly rolled out of his ‘bed’ as soon as Narias took out some food from his backpack. A short ‘hi’ later and Narias’s teammate was munching on his own goodies himself. Ileena, Flavia and Emilia slept a while longer, but when one of them woke up, the other two followed right after. It was either a girly instinct or maybe because of how close the three of them were laying to one another. A few yawns and stretches followed to help remove whatever sleepiness still lingered in them. Food came next and when everyone had their bellies filled up, the party descended to the second floor of the Magic Dungeon.

“Yes, we’re finally here again,” Flavia cheered, feeling excited.

“I’ll be sure to watch my surroundings better this time,” Ileena stated confidently.

“I will not let any Rhabitooths get away from me,” Emilia was equally determined to do her part as well.

“Smash monsters before they get away,” Growly was feeling pumped himself.

“I’m sure all of us will do well,” was all Narias could say.

“So, which way, partner?” Flavia wanted to move out right away.

“Let’s take the same path we took the last time,” Narias suggested with no one having any objections to it.

Before they reached the first cave room however, they had monsters block their way. Or rather, monsters were spotted in the distance. Fortunately, the monsters haven’t spotted the students just yet. There were two Shadeleaf Boars up ahead, peacefully sniffing the ground near the plants, looking for food probably.

“Hey, hey, do you want me and Growly take down one and the rest of you get the other one, partner?” Flavia was itching to fight the monsters.

“Actually, I would like to work together with Growly this time. We will take the right one and you three can take the left one?” Narias suggested, but didn’t explain the reasoning behind it.

“Aah… ok. Whatever you say, partner,” Flavia wasn’t about to start questioning him.

“I can freeze the ground to make the monster slip,” Emilia was quick to suggest.

“I can cast my spells to have the monster run to where Emilia freezes the ground,” Ileena added.

“And I’ll smack it so hard, it will die in one hit,” Flavia really meant it.

“I want to try it out just like we practiced, Growly,” was all Narias said to him.

“Ok,” was all Growly said back.

Once everyone was ready, the students unleashed themselves on the monsters, or so they would’ve done if they were close enough. Due to how far away, about forty yards, the group was from the monsters, they had to get within range first. The two Shadeleaf Boars were spooked and quickly ran into hiding under the big leaves of the real plants that were growing around, but the students already expected for the monsters to do that. A few spells shot at the spots where the Shadeleaf Boars ran to hide forced them to leave their hiding places and fight for their lives. Thanks to having enough space between themselves and the attackers, the Shadeleaf Boars charged the students, gaining speed with each step.

“Icicle Shot,” Emilia was quick to cover the ground with the ice before the monster reached them.

“Lighting Strike,” Ileena cast a spell, more so to keep the monster on track to where the ice was.

As fast as the Shadeleaf Boar’s charge was, it couldn’t help but slip and fall on its side when it finally reached the ice-covered area. The monster was kicking with its short legs, desperately trying to get up as it slid forward, but Flavia didn’t wait for that to happen.

“Haah!” She kicked the Shadeleaf Boar like a football so hard, it flew up and smashed itself into the wall. Unfortunately for Flavia, it didn’t die yet. “Dang it, I didn’t kick it hard enough.”

Flavia probably put enough force into her kick, however, her aim wasn’t perfect due to the monster sliding and spinning on the ice and that’s why the monster didn’t sustain enough damage.

“Leave it to us, Flavia. Lightning Bolt,” Ileena cast her spell for real this time.

“Frost Bolt,” Emilia assisted her too.

“Fireball,” unexpectedly, one more spell was shot at the same monster from further away.

Three spells hit the trying to lift itself up monster simultaneously. The Shadeleaf Boar squeaked one last time before stopping moving and vanishing into nothing.

“Eeh! What about your Shadeleaf Boar, partner?” Flavia became worried, but couldn’t see the monster anywhere.

“Ah, we took care of it quick, so I decided to help you finish the other one off,” Narias said.

“What? You took care of it faster than we did?!” Flavia couldn’t believe it, feeling disappointed the boys beat the girls to it.

“That’s impressive,” Emilia gasped.

“But how did you take down your Shadeleaf Boar so fast?” Ileena wanted to know. Since all three girls were focused on their own target, they didn’t see how Narias and Growly did it.

“Well, Growly took it down with one hit,” Narias said.

“Huuuh? With one hit?” That just set fire under Flavia’s butt.

“Boys power,” Growly grinned, extending his hand fist forward to Narias.

“Hah, yeah,” Narias bumped his fist at Growly’s. Seeing the boys bump fists, both Ileena and Emilia were set on fire as well. If anything, it was taken as a taunt.

“Flavia, Emilia,” Ileena wasn’t exactly addressing them but her words carried a lot of meaning in them.

“Let’s do this,” Flavia extended her fist forward.

“Agreed,” Emilia sounded like a real badass, her squinted eyebrows catching an extra frost glow.

“No more being nice girls,” Ileena’s eyes sparkled with purple lightning.

What’s going on here? Narias became totally confused. His three girlfriends looked like they were about to wreck the place.

“Huh?” Growly tilted his head to the side, feeling equally puzzled.

“Maybe… we should keep moving?” Narias finally suggested.

“For sure,” Flavia acknowledged, throwing her backpack on.

“Ready,” Emilia stated in a serious tone.

“Lead the way,” Ileena adjusted her glasses.

“R… right…” Narias decided not to ask what’s gotten into his girlfriends.

The party soon reached the cave room. The same room they’ve been to before when they came here together with Nicky and Vivia. This time however, they’ve noticed a Rhabitooth sitting near a plant out in the open, together with two more Shadeleaf Boars not too far from where it was as well.

“There could be more monsters hiding under the plants,” Narias said when the group huddled together.

“Not a problem,” Ileena stated confidently.

“Yeah, we’ll be ready for them,” Flavia punched her left fist into her right hand’s palm.

“Please, trust us, Narias,” Emilia added.

Narias and Growly gave each other a look, with Growly nodding to him.

“Ok, there are a few ways we could go about it. Me and Growly could take both of those Shadeleaf boars while you take care of the Rhabitooth,” Narias suggested.

“Both Shadeleaf Boars just the two of you?” Flavia exclaimed, but kept it quiet.

“Yes, but I doubt both of them will charge us at once. Usually, the Shadeleaf Boars run into hiding after being alerted. I think we could take them down one by one,” Narias explained.

“I see. That makes sense. Then we take down the Rhabitooth. Right, girls?” Ileena’s eyes sparkled with purple lightning again.

“Definitely,” Emilia sounded confident as well.

“Leave it to us, partner,” Flavia flexed her arm.

“Just remember, there might be more… or probably are more monsters hiding under the plants inside the cave. Be ready for it,” Narias added.

“Will do, partner,” Flavia acknowledged it.

“Ok, let’s go,” Narias said.

As Narias predicted, the Shadeleaf Boars ran into hiding from the moment they noticed the intruders show themselves. The Rhabitooth on the other hand, leaped forward and towards the running into the cave group. Ileena and Emilia used the spells to lead the jumping fluffy monster towards them and away from Narias and Growly. The students stayed near the entrance of the cave however, making sure no monsters would jump at them from behind.

“Wait for it to come closer, Flavia,” Ileena instructed.

“Yes, I know,” Flavia wasn’t as reckless as she used to be.

Ileena and Emilia worked together to try and hit the closing in Rhabitooth with their spells. The monster was really quick on its feet, jumping and leaping to the sides to avoid being hit by the spells. But the girls worked well together and even if the Rhabitooth was avoiding the spells, it was still one against three.

- ‘Smack!’ – Flavia timed her own jump and hit the monster from above as soon as it jumped up to avoid Emilia’s Frost Bolt spell.

“Lightning Bolt,” Ileena followed up with her spell to hit the rabbit resembling creature after it hit the ground, finishing it on the spot. As fast as the creature was, it wasn’t that tough when it came to taking hits.

“Another one on our left!” Emilia was quick to inform when one more Rhabitooth jumped out of its hiding spot.

Narias and Growly had their hands full as well. They took down one of the Shadeleaf Boars just a moment ago and were about to go after the other one when a Rhabitooth jumped out of its hiding spot not far from where the boys were. Instead of trying to hit it from afar, Narias allowed the creature to get closer to them and after timing his Wind Bullet spell well, he hit the monster on the side right when it jumped again, making it stumble and fall down awkwardly on the ground. Narias’s Wind Bullet spell might’ve not done much damage to it, but it didn’t matter. The goal was to make the monster stumble or lose balance. That’s where Growly came in. He was waiting for it. The poor, fluffy creature had no chance to survive Growly’s paw smack. It vanished in an instant, leaving a sparkling crystal behind.

“Take that!” Flavia finished off her target at about the same time as well. “Any more?”

“I don’t see any,” Ileena informed after looking around.

“None on my side,” Emilia added.

“What about Narias and Growly? Oh…” Flavia was about to rush to help the boys, but they were done already. “They were faster than us again and it’s three of us. Humph…”

“We need to work on our teamwork more,” Ileena commented, her eyes showing that’s exactly what they will do once they are back.

“Yes, I think that’s a good idea,” Emilia agreed with her.

“Right, let’s see if the monsters dropped anything,” Flavia would never forget to check for treasure.

“Wait, there’s still one monster left,” Narias stopped her.

“What? Where?” Flavia started looking around. Ileena and Emilia became alert as well, but couldn’t see any either.

“One of the Shadeleaf Boars ran into hiding when we alerted the monsters. The two of us will take care of it,” Narias nodded to Growly, who nodded back to him.

“Hey, let us-“ Flavia was about to say something, but Ileena stopped her by placing her hand on Flavia’s shoulder.

“Let’s see how they take it down,” Emilia understood why Ileena stopped Flavia.

Narias knew which plant the Shadeleaf Boar ran to hide under. He used his Fireball spell to smoke it out and it worked. The Shadeleaf Boar was quick to run away from becoming barbequed and charged directly at Narias.

“Hey, Narias will be knocked out. Why isn’t he doing anything?” Flavia panicked, seeing her boyfriend was about to get ran through.

“Wait,” Ileena stopped her, but she couldn’t hide the fact she became worried as well.

“Wind Shield!” The Shadeleaf Boar was less than thirty feet away from him when Narias cast his spell.

The creature was running almost at full speed when a half transparent green shield appeared in front of it. The monster smashed itself into it so hard, its feet were lifted from the ground. No later than the Shadeleaf Boar hit the Wind Shield that Narias cast, Growly jumped out of his rolling ball and flattened the creature with both of his paws. Not even a squeak was heard before it died. The timing of Growly’s attack was perfect. It was like he knew in advance when to jump and where to land to hit the monster. All girls had their jaws drop at the sight of how easily the boys took the monster down.

“Good timing,” Growly smirked at Narias after he stood up straight.

“Awesome job, Growly,” Narias showed his friend a thumbs up gesture.

“Wow, did you see that?” The girls didn’t need to answer Flavia’s question.

“That was a well synchronized attack,” Ileena commented, her mouth dressed with a proud smile.

“This must’ve been what they were training for the last two days,” Emilia added, feeling impressed at how effortlessly the boys executed their combo. “We definitely need to put in more effort ourselves.”

“For sure,” Flavia declared, grinning wide.

But first things first, they were still inside the Magic Dungeon and the exploration wasn’t yet over. After the students scoured the cave room for possible treasure, banking two Magic Crystals and one chunk of Soft Steel Ore, they pushed forward into deeper parts of the dungeon.

 

★━━━━━━━━━★

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment and favorite the chapter if you enjoyed it. Apologies in advance if you find a weird sounding phrase or a grammar error. These are draft chapters after all.

Read 10+ extra chapters on my Patreon (including the artwork not available anywhere else) – Extra Chapters on Patreon

★━━━━━━━━━★

Extra thanks to nonomo4 and Lynderyn for extra support and help.

4