Ch.46: A Polite Mutiny
82 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, girlfriend! I really appreciate the enthusiasm. But, it’s not that kind of protest.”

The Starlight University’s Cheer team couldn’t get Lana off the team. So they were sitting out every game until the coach stopped bowing to Lana’s whim. A peaceful protest. 

Instead of sitting on the sidelines where fans could throw drinks at them, they got drinks. Those who were old enough anyway. 

The Moondance bar hosted the team Friday evening. Friends of the members helped fill a section of the bar. However, Marilyn’s support stood out. 

“What do you mean?” Jiji asked.

Jiji entered the bar with a 24-pack of water bottles. Blue and yellow stripes on her cheeks. And two big picket signs reading: ‘Down with this sort of thing’ and ‘careful now’.

Tatiana took her long-awaited picture. 

“And, worth it~!” Tatiana sang. 

“Goddamn it, Auntie!”

“Hey Tea,” Marilyn greeted.

“Hey Marilyn! Give me a call if your girl starts puking rainbows! Have fun!” 

Jiji & Tatiana’s goodbye were friendly middle fingers. Jiji set her signs in a corner by the booth. Then, Jinn spotted gin. 

Marilyn roped Jiji back before she could repeat her first night of intoxication. 

“Everyone, this is my girlfriend, Jiji.”

The team all said hi. A rather lukewarm response to Marilyn’s greeting. Still polite. Just not as vibrant as Marilyn expected. 

Then, it hit her, “Oh right! Like, my actual girlfriend. We’re dating.”

“Ohhhh!” The team all flocked to introduce themselves. 

Jiji got hugged by almost a dozen women. Each was stronger than the last. Each seemed to have half a dozen questions for her. Right after the other. 

“How long have you two been a thing?”

“You’re a freshman right?”

“What’re you studying?”

“Your hair’s so fluffy! What products do you use?”

“Never mind the hair. What do you use for that skin, girl?”

“Aren’t you that chick who embarrassed Nick?”

Jiji, surrounded by women, picked a light on the wall to look at. Only then could she answer. 

Jiji listed, “September. I’m not enrolled. I’m not enrolled. Natural. I drink lots of water. And I’d do it again.”

Marilyn reached into the group and fished out her pint-sized girlfriend. She lifted Jiji like one would lift their cat. Partially showing off that she could lift someone with 1 arm. 

“Alright, let’s not crowd my girl.”

“Thank you, dear,” Jiji said now that she had elbow room. 

“Of course! Can I see your hand, babe?”

One cheerleader joked, “A little soon for a proposal.”

Jiji offered Marilyn her hand. Fingers extended. She dreamed of a fancy diamond ring. Or a ruby bracelet!

She got a big ‘x’ in black marker. Like all of the girls under 21.

“You know this can’t stop me,” Jiji bragged.

Marilyn had an answer for that. 

“Oh, Artemis~! My little cutie isn’t 21~!” 

The bartender scanned Jiji. The ‘x’ on her hand. Her ‘little cute’ face.

“Noted,” Artemis noted.

“Noooooooooo!” Jiji whined. “Whyyyyyy?!”

Marilyn patted her little brat’s head, “Because I love you.”

The door opened. All the life in the bar seemed to fly out with it. Just the patron’s entrance seemed to chill most of the spines inside. 

The team members facing away from the door felt like animals. An instinct commanded them to stay put. Not to face the snake that had slithered in.

“So, what’re we drinking?” Lana asked. 

Most of the team said nothing. They acted as if Lana wasn’t there. Others groaned or sighed. 

Her faux positive voice wasn’t exactly hard to see through. Not that Lana gave a damn. She made sure to trespass the personal space of everyone she walked by.

“Come on! I’m your captain! I gotta make sure my extras make it to my show. Right? So, let’s go! Team! We missed warm up but can make it before the game starts.”

Marilyn did see that Lana had gotten a little bigger. More muscle definition. Just a touch of color in her normally pale skin. 

She was still a twig compared to Marilyn. Jiji thought a bug was more accurate. 

Kamkin stood firm, “We told you before: We’re not going until you resign.”

“I told you before: ‘I don’t answer to side hoes’.”

Jiji stepped in. Physically putting herself between Marilyn & Lana. Getting in Lana’s bubble.

Genuinely, “Hi Lana! I’m Jiji. I don’t think we’ve ever spoken before. Love those shoes by the way.”

Condescendingly, “Of course you do. They’re more expensive than anything you've got on.”

“What does…anyway, you need to leave, please. You’re being rude and I especially don’t appreciate how you’ve acted or talked to my girlfriends. Or my girlfriends’ friends. And I’m not going to tolerate it.”

Megan had the widest smile out of all the girls. All the girls were happy to hear Lana silent for once. To see Lana red.

“Shut the hell up!” Lana spat, “They’re my bitches! And I will talk to them anyway I want!” 

The team revolted at being called ‘bitches’. Giving Lana what she desired. A reaction. 

Marilyn acted as crowd control. Once again, holding Megan back. Lana, once again, egged them on from a distance.

Jiji on the other hand, put her hand on Lana’s shoulder, “Ok, let’s go.”

Lana swiped away, “Go back to the zoo you escaped from?”

“Outside,” Jiji clarified, “I’m beating your ass.”

Lana scoffed, “You and the other queers wish you could have my ass.”

Jiji unzipped her hoodie. Lana zipped her mouth. Marilyn zipped between them. 

“Last chance to leave, Lana.” Marilyn alerted her. 

Despite Jiji’s physique. Marilyn’s verbal instructions. Or the bartender’s complacency. Lana allowed her mouth to run instead of her legs. As if being as disrespectful as possible was an instinct. 

“Or what? Cuck?” Lana jeered.

Marilyn let her actions do the talking. She grabbed Lana. Carried her out of the bar. Didn’t slow when Lana kicked at her. 

Then she let Lana go. In the bike lane. The dirty, wet, bike lane. With puddles everywhere. 

Lana’s skirt and top would be fine after a wash. They weren’t the pair she was freaking out over.

“My Jays!” Lana wept. 

$400 down the pothole. 

Kamkin didn’t care if they were $1000. No one cared that Lana was in tears. Why would anyone?

“Leave. Now.” Marilyn commanded.

Jiji popped up behind Marilyn, “If you hurry, you’ll make it back before the game starts!”

Lana knew she couldn’t take Alice in a fight. What chance did she have with Marilyn? Or against the bouncer who only now made himself known? Let alone a genie.

“You’re gonna regret this!” Lana cursed. 

Jiji thought of Lana as an angry duck. Too small to do any damage to them. Not intimidating in the slightest. And the squishy sound her ruined sneakers made as she stomped off towards the sunset.

“Why can’t I just beat her up again?” Jiji asked. 

Marilyn kissed Jiji’s cheek, “Because she’d use it as a crutch to be a bigger brat.” 

“What if I make sure she needs to use crutches?” 

Marilyn led Jiji back in. She needed a drink. Jiji needed a laugh. Artemis gave them both.

Lana stayed close by. Like a viper waiting for the dark. Plotting to shadow whoever left the pack.

END

0