Chapter 41 – Broken
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

Before there was flame, there is wood emerging and spiraling behind Siola, it carried with it decayed leaves and thorns as the tip condensed into the sharpest spear made of wood. But after the flame appears as embers scattered in Siola’s palm, the largest whirling combustion she ever made was blown but it was blocked by a wall. A robed skeleton body that is Ludwig. He grabbed her wrist as he halted the wood spear that was about to pierce Siola’s body and twists it, stopping its growth.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

It took but a moment after the smoke clears up for Siola to snap back to reality. Ludwig’s dot of an eye flares as he gazes her deep in the eye as she looks at Replica in confusion, it was but for a moment as she quickly changes her expression to that of a maniac. She didn’t even glance at the one who holds her wrist before screaming, “DID YOU SEE THAT?!”

“See how much I’m capable of? That’s right, NOTHING!”

She suddenly steps forward but then realized that her movement is restricted.

“Let me go!”

Struggling to remove Ludwig’s skeleton hand holding her wrist.

“Hnngh.”

What Ludwig sees is not that of fear nor is it hopelessness, but rather, desperation. Or is it? Because for a moment, her expression changes to that of sadness.

“My lord,” Ludtleth steps forward.

Glancing at him and the flowered spear behind Siola, “Return to your quarters. Both of you.”

Siola lifts her head, confused. Before she can process anything, Ludwig lifts his arm and summon a black portal where the other end is visible. A bedroom where sorrowing flowers were decorated neatly in the dark. The portal swallows them both, but Siola caught the image of Replica’s face before that happens. No longer remorse, but regret. At that point, Siola kept asking herself, “Why?”

Dropping on her shins, images of fond memories of her real-life family flashes before her eyes and once again, she asked herself, “Why?”

[Why did I come back here?]

Coming back to the past that she is experiencing now. No matter how much she tries to suppress her thoughts from thinking about it, it comes back to her time and time again. Why did she come back not at the point in time where she regrets the most?

The night is cold, but shivers from it she's not.

But then a symphony of melancholic melody rang in her head as light from the outside shines through a balcony window. She sees the skeleton, Ludwig, letting more of the cold air in before her he turns to the bed. Right on the dirty white blanket is a straw doll. Gently, he picks it up and caresses it before walking to Siola and handing it to her.

Hesitating, but comfort lies in the gesture, so she took it. The doll's appearance, its build, amateurishly made, she thought. But somehow, it gives her warmth.

! {Item Received}

~ {Straw Doll / Crafted / Put-together toy weaved with fun and love}

Despite the terrifying figure that is Ludwig, she looks at him with an unshakable gaze. She says, “I’m not a spy nor do I want any of this to happen.”

“I know.”

Her eyes peeled at the lord’s response. Seated by the bed, he says, “Replica has never been… the brightest child, but her intention and action… have always been for the betterment of the rest of us.”

“But she…”

Ludwig pays extra attention to her words, but she didn’t let out more.

“Traveler, Wanderer, whatever the case may be. You have an intention of serving Purgatory, are you not?”

“I…” hesitating once again. Frowning her brows as she took a deep breath, she let it out slowly before saying, “I just want to be a part of something.”

“Are you looking for a purpose?”

“I don’t know,” looking at the straw doll, rotating it up and down, “Distraction, maybe. I just want more time to think about the new life I received.”

“New life? Here, as a Traveler? A Wanderer?”

She glances at him, asking, “Are you not going to kill me?”

“The book that you have obtained…”

Eyes peeled. Sitting cross-leg, she lay the Straw Doll on her thigh as she holds the [Book of the Unknown] as if she presented it to him, but he's not taking it.

“That is the remnant of the Black Old King. Once a dominant ruler of the old world, now lost in the realm of the unknown. Will you hand it to me and receive a tremendous reward for your contribution to the Purgatory Realm, or will you take it for yourself?”

At that moment, several thoughts flares in Siola’s mind. Connecting pieces of Ludwig’s words with other beings in the castle. Replica’s question of Siola’s intention in serving the ruler of Purgatory, Ludtleth’s options for her to join or suffer, and the first word that greets her upon coming into this world, {Prison Realm}. Her eyes peeled.

“If possible, I’d like to take it.”

Ludwig’s dot of an eye flamed in silver.

“If that is what you wish.”

In the palm of his skeleton’s hand appear black embers that slowly shine as it forms into a blade darker than a shadow. It floats toward Siola.

“Stab your heart, and you shall be free.”

Nervously confused, “I don’t want to leave.”

“That is a decision for me to make at another time.”

Hesitant to even hold the dagger. But she clenches her spirit to grab it and just as quickly, stabs her chest. The sensation of her flesh pierced so smoothly by the blade made her disgusted and afraid. Not long after her heart beats, the black blade is absorbed into her heart. Rendering the already dark heart even darker than it ever was. Ludwig can see it, but Siola couldn't.

! {Blessing of the Purgatory has been removed}

! {The Unending Contract of the Abyss has been removed}

~ {Blessing of the Abyss has been adjusted}

~ {Experience gain reduction has been changed from 95% to 80%}

~ {Innate Ability: Immortality – has advanced to Rank 3 / Defy death upon reaching 0% Health. Negate any fatal wound and significantly increase Pain Resistance. Revival will occur every hour if death persists}

~ {Skill: Abyssal Touch – has advanced to Tier 2 – Intermediate / Weaken the target, reducing their Endurance by 20%. Slightly drain all of their Primary Attributes until they are fully depleted / Cooldown: None / Costs: None}

! {You have been --/E-r/-- from Purgatory Realm}

1