Happenings happen
596 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The more time I spend at the King's Council meetings the more I realize what a waste of time they are.

Most of the time nothing of note is reported, so instead everyone shares gossip or just talks about nothing.

Today was a day like this and I grew bored, it was good that the King quickly dismissed the Council.

Just as I was about to stand up and exit the meeting room I was stopped by Louis François de Monteynard Secretary of State for War.

Louis François was an old man with a round belly, double chin, and a nose that pointed down and reminded that of a wich and even the white wig couldn't hide his boldness.

"Your Royal Highness, would you like to accompany me to see the newly formed Princes Regiments returning from their stay at École Militaire?"

I stopped.

Did he say Princes' Regiments? 

"Did you say Princes Regiments?"

Well, I'm the Prince, so those regiments are mine regiments? Are they similar to the Old and Young Guards of Napoleon?

"Um, Yes I did say Princes Regiments"

The old Secretary of State for War replied.

"Yes, I would like to accompany you."

"Excellent, then please follow me, Your Royal Highness. They should arrive in an hour."

We waited in one of the largest yards at Versailles and soon on the horizon, I saw a collum with a couple of banners raised, first there was cavalry and then infantry followed by more cavalry. Seeing the number I was quite awed, I thought I will get a maximum of 1000men, but here marches definitely more than that.

"Sir, de Monteynard, how many men are in the Princes Regiments?"

I asked the man curiously as we still watched the marching men.

"Currently we have one whole regiment of infantry consisting of 4 battalions, so that's 4000men, next we have 1 heavy cavalry regiment that's 600men and 1regiment of Dragons so that's another 600men, which brings up a total of 5200men, Your Royal Highness."

That was quite a lot of men, well I wasn't from a military background so these numbers were quite big for me.

"Hmm...So one infantry battalion is 1000 men while 600 cavalrymen make up a whole regiment, why is that?"

"Well, Your Royal Highness, it all comes down to money. To prepare an infantryman all you need is to hand him a gun, and uniform and train him to use that gun thus one can raise them quickly and in large numbers, while to raise a cavalryman you need to raise a horse, train the horse, train a horseman, equip them and lastly train them together to make a cavalryman."

Replied the aged Secretary of State for War.

I guessed as much as cavalry was akin to the modern tanks, while a tank could cost around 5 million to build, while to equip an infantryman it would cost around 20thousand, thus making an infantryman 250 times cheaper than a tank.

"I see. Just out of curiosity, they are Kings Regiments, yes?"

"Indeed, Kings Regiments or you could say bodyguards existed since the ancient times, even tribal leaders had their own retinue of men, Your Royal Highness. I think you have seen them, instead of wearing all red like the Swiss Guard, they have blue coats on."

Ahh yes, I have seen them making.

"How does Prince Regiments compare to the Kings?"

I was genuinely interested, I know that Princes' Regiments wouldn't be like the Kings, but still, they had to have this over-the-top bravado that would make them stand out from the regular soldiers after all they are representing the next King.

"The Kings' Regiments are more numerous, while equipment wise they are identical, but the current King's regiments are veterans of Seven Years War that fought side by side, while your Princes' Regiments have some veterans taken from other regiments while others are graduates from Ecole Militaire (Military education institution at that time)."

So basically the Kings' Regiment has better synergy, while mine are a mix of veterans from different regiments and fresh graduates from military school.

Soon I heard a high-pitched sound of the fife which was soon followed by the sounds of drums as the soldiers began entering the giant courtyard.

(A/N: Youtube Marche Royale de France)

First came the cavalry which I assumed to be the dragoons, they wore a helmet of golden color with a white plume, blue coat, with a white waistcoat underneath, paired with golden facings and white breeches, and finished with black knee-high boots.

Then came the infantry with black tricorns, a white coat, a blue waistcoat underneath, and blue facings, blue breeches paired with tall black gaiters.

Lastly came the heavy cavalry wearing a black bicorn hat a blue coat, with a white waistcoat underneath with red facings, paired with white breeches and tall black boots.

Once all the soldiers were in the courtyard the music stopped.

Then a soldier wearing a bicorn with golden edges and the ends were flattened, while he wore a blue coat, with blue waistcoat, white breaches, and black high-knee boots came to the front a top of his white steed and then dismounted along with other cavalrymen. 

"Colonel Quentin Nompar along with 5200 strong pledge their loyalty to you your Royal Highness."

He said as he kneeled and took off his hat bringing it close to his heart.

"We pledge our royalty to Royal Highness!"

Soon other soldiers followed and at this moment I felt so...powerful 5200 men are here pledging themselves for me, truly exhilarating.

"Ahem"

Louis François de Monteynard diverted my attention I then realized that the officer is still kneeling and looking at me.

"I accept, rise Regiments of the Prince."

"YES, YOUR ROYAL HIGHNESS!"

They replied and I nodded with satisfaction, I should grow closer to these people after all they will be Kings' Regiments in the future. Royal bodyguards would be really beneficial, especially for me.

"I will take it from here, your Royal Highness"

"Of course, then I will excuse myself."

"Farewell, your Royal Highness."

With that, I went away, wondering what should I do for the remaining day.

...

Jean-Frédéric Phélypeaux, Count of Maurepas POV

What a rainy start to June.

I mussed to myself as I looked through the window in my carriage as it rode along the paved roads of Limoges, this was my second day traveling from Paris and all day today it did nothing but rain.

While I was offered a place as a guest at the Rochechouart de Mortemart family, I declined their offer, I will be spending only a day here in Limoges before returning to Jouars-Pontchartrain.

Soon my carriage stopped in front of a hotel.

"Your Grace, we are here."

My Coachman opened the door and helped me out, I bid him farewell and enter the establishment.

The establishment was adequate not on a level where high nobles would go, but for traveling lower nobles, I suppose this was good enough, the decor was simple wood finishings, the seats were padded, and cutlery was made of silver, though I have to say the food smelt pleasing.

A waiter came soon after I took a seat, I order an onion soup and then wildfowl with potatoes and then some red wine.

Just as I finished the soup and was about to dig into my main dish a man took a seat in front of me, a middle-aged man, with brown short hair and brown eyes in a Prussian blue suit to be precise, and the man that I came her in the first place Anne Robert Jacques Turgot.

"Sorry, I'm late, Your Grace, had to take care of a couple of things."

He spoke.

"No problem, Jacques. No need to be so formal with me. "

I said with a smile to Anne Robert and with the pleasantries out of the way, he order some wine.

"Tell how the is the job of intendant (tax collector) treating you?"

"It was good at first, I managed to adjust the land tax and managed to a large reduction in the contribution of the province as this region is quite poor and overtaxed, but this year is quite hard."

His words pleased me after all I had him in my eyesight since he was young, I came to know of Anne Robert Jacques Turgot because of his father Michel-Étienne Turgot who was mayor of Paris while I was Secretary of State of the Navy. Especially I followed his works after I was exiled from Versailles and politics as he will be one of my crucial pieces in the future, that's it if the Prince accepts me back. 

"This year is hard you say? How so?"

I asked him genially curious, while I know that France is living in not the best of times right now and we have a lot of internal troubles, especially money problems, those wars were definitely not favorable to France.

"Have you noticed, the bread prices or anything associated with grain?"

He said seriously, and I have begun to think.

Hmm, I did notice that even in this hotel plain bread was almost double the price as it should be...

"Ah, the grain trade restrictions of the current Controller-General of Finances."

I said and Turgot nodded.

"The restrictions increased the price of grain and in return whole, domino began to fall. The people began saving to buy food, and by that other industries began falling because people stopped buying other things, for example like the new Limoges porcelain industry that I heavily invested in started showing a decrease in profits, and some people even left looking for better-paying jobs creating a further decline and now some people can't pay the full taxes, making it even a huger hole in the finances of the kingdom, as I see nobody wins here."

Well, I get what is Turgot talking about, but what I heard from Duc de La Vauguyon the current Controller-General is doing quite good with the current situation as he managed to pay a lot of national debt, though those were done by taking up draconic measures and brutal taxation, like levying forced loans, income tax, and head tax, that left him making enemies with nobles, merchants and peasants.

"I see your point. And with the Controller-General focusing mainly on taxation it will become a problem if people are unable to pay."

"Exactly, I think it would be better to free the grain market, this way landowners, farmers, and peasants would win."

Turgot replied enthusiastically, and that was why I was interested in him his view on the economy was different from everyone else. He always advocated for the development of agriculture and free competition. And me being a former Minister to the Crown I know that France heavily relies on its agriculture.

"Well, we don't know why such restrictions are imposed, we can only speculate at this point."

I said with a smile as I put a potato in my mouth.

"But couldn't you get the information?"

He asked me surprised and I stared at him.

"1749, I was removed by a coup led by Duke of Richelieu, then I was exiled from Versailles and Paris."

I replied to him.

"Oh yes, I forgot about that. But still, connections are there no?"

While his thinking was valid, unfortunately, my friends couldn't help with information like this they can only share what they heard in court or meetings, but getting documents from Terray is impossible.

"Connections are there, but they are weak in regards to things like that, honestly if they had access to information like this I would use it to get back into the court."

And I wouldn't be talking to you even if I'm interested in your theories.

"Hmm, do you want to go back to the court?"

At this, I put down my fork and knife, sipped some wine, and looked at the side.

I was born at Versailles and from as early as I can remember I was trained to be secretary of state to the king of France, at the age of 17 I took the position of Secretary of State of the Maison du Roi under the guardianship of my cousin and five years later I have begun my duties as Secretary of State of the Navy, then in 1738 I was promoted to the council of state, and in time aided the king, alongside several other ministers in making significant political decisions, it was a peak of my career and then Armand Richelieu came and now here I am since that day I was plotting to get back...Why? I don't know, I could enjoy my old life in peace and happiness, yet something within me was calling me back there, craving for the power I once had.

"Yes, I do"

I answered him simply.

"How?"

"His Royal Highness."

"The Prince?... I hate to be rude, but you are older than His Majesty, Louis XV, and both of you are..."

"Old?"

"Y-yes."

"That may be true, I'm older than His Majesty by 9 years, well we just have to live and see"

I saw how Turgot grimaced a bit, but I paid it no mind, even if it's for one year or another I just want to stand there again at the top of the world.

"You have a lot of hope in His Royal Highness, are you even sure that he will accept you, he can be persuaded or find other candidates to form his council?"

A valid question from him and even I do wonder if my all work will let me see results as firstly his Royal Highness need to become a King first, but still, I have faith that I will be chosen, my work in the government can't be overlooked that easily.

"I think he will...Now let's better talk about your Minette."

I said with a coy smile as Turgot choked on his wine.

Ah, those are the joys of youth.

...

Louis Stanislas Xavier

I was running around the gardens of Versailles and next to me was my younger brother Charles. Both of us were finished with our studies so we and the other noble kids were flying our kites.

Seeing my white kite go up I stopped and tried controlling it with my wire.

Soon it flew high in the air, like a bird in the sky.

It was a relaxing time engaging in some small talk with others while flying kites.

And soon we noticed my elder brother Louis as he walked alongside his wife Marie. He really started spending a lot of time lately, almost all evenings were reserved for her.

"You know I'm jealous."

I said to my brother Carles.

"Of what?"

He asked.

"Of Louis, Marie is soo beautiful and really friendly!"

I replied. It was true Marie was very friendly and a good person she even helped me with some assignments that my theology teacher gave me.

"But you will be married next year, no?"

Thank you for reminding me, brother...

"Yes... But I wonder if I get a wife like Marie..."

"You still don't know who you will marry?"

"No."

"Hmm, well you have to do your part as a member of France royalty."

Sometimes I hate Charles.

"Thank you for your word of encouragement."

"You're welcome."

After this, I don't know what to reply to that blockheaded brother of mine.

"I worry too."

Charles said and I stopped and looked at him.

"About what?"

"Marriage."

And then I laughed.

"I don't see what you see funny."

"Weren't you the one who just told me that you have to do your part as a member of France royalty?"

I replied to him, but it was good to know that he was scared, well we both saw how our older brother was anxious before marriage and now that our time is coming we began to feel the same.

"Well yes, I will still do the part that is expected of me no matter what my wife is. But still, if I can I wish to get a good wife."

"Agreed, a good wife would be good."

Well if what my grandfather said is true I will get a painting of my wife in two weeks' time, hopefully, I'm will not be disappointed much or else I will curse my brother!

Oh, my kite is going down.

"By the way, are going hunting today?"

I asked my brother as I picked my kite.

"Probably not."

"Why not?"

"Look behind you"

I looked and saw dark clouds in the sky steadily approaching us.

"Well, then wanna play chess later?"

I asked him because this evening will be spent in the palace.

"No, I have some studying to do, while your studies are nearing their end mine are not."

"Well, then I will invite others then, you can join us later."

I replied to him and he nodded. 

I wish he would loosen up a little, he is not an heir or a spare, yet he acts so seriously all the time, well our older brother was quite a shut-in and now after the marriage look at him.

Hmm, will I change too? 

Wait! If my introverted brother started talking and going out more, will I become a shut-in instead?

No! I don't want that! Wife, you better be good!

A/N:

"1749, I was removed by a coup led by Duke of Richelieu, then I was exiled from Versailles and Paris."

I replied to him.

"Sorry I forgor"

I really wanted to leave this part like this just for the memes but in the end, the cringe side of me won out.

On the other hand, the chapter is finished and I think I will do like 2-3 chapters of just timeskip while summarizing what is happening and then we will get into a bit of action that James Bond fans would like, I plan to do around 10-15chapter more until our Louis will be crowned.

Lastly, join DC, because I will be only for 2h after I upload this, so if you have some questions feel free to ask.

DC: https://discord.gg/SUeu6Ddejz

13