Chapter 28
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ignis,” Draya cried out to the demon connected to her dress.  “Ignis, leave your volcano alone for a minute and give me some help!  You owe me.”

Ignis Ardeat had indeed been playing with his volcano.  It was all he had done since Draya had linked him to it.  Now, he reached out to his new favorite servant and recoiled quickly.  The Frosthold again, he said.  Just seal it up as before and leave me alone.

“I can’t,” she screamed, feeling ice encroaching on her hair.  She activated her little used Dragon Breath spell and tossed her head about, pushing the ice back momentarily.  “I’m underwater.”

Oh my, he replied.  That is unfortunate.  He paused.  Well, thank you for the volcano.  I love it.  I wish you luck respawning.

“What?”  Draya said.  “That’s it?”

I have mage fire at my disposal.  It also doesn’t work underwater.  Your dragon fire is three times more powerful.  If it does not work, I can not help you.  Don’t worry.  Characters in your realm respawn.  It is not so everywhere, but you will be fine.  Freezing to death is not fun, but it is unavoidable.

Draya rolled her eyes at the unsympathetic demon.  Despite what she told Psycho, she wasn’t sure she would respawn because she had no confidence the Frosthold would kill her.  Though it wasn’t alive, she could feel a distinct malevolence within the vortex.  It could freeze her into a coma.  Her pulsing dress would keep her filled with mana and alive.  Then the Frosthold could suck heat from her for all eternity.  Draya shuddered at the thought and shuddered again as ice nipped at her legs.  She released another torrent of dragon fire.  While flames never escaped her fingers into the water, she still produced tremendous heat, and the ice retreated.

“You have to be able to do something!” Draya said desperately.  “What other power do you have?”

  1. Have.  Fire.  That is all I have.  Come, look for yourself.

Traveling down the curse to connect with the demon usually took all of her concentration, something Draya was currently devoting elsewhere, but Ignis opened the path wide for her, and she found she could split her attention for a moment.

Hell was an unpleasant place, filled with rocks, salt, and iron.  Nothing lived there, and the air was choked with sulfur.  However, it wasn't too bad compared to the freezing water she now found herself in.  After a round of inspection, she confirmed Ignis was right; he only had access to simple mage fire in his immediate dwelling.  Draya didn’t even try to siphon any of that into her realm.  The dress gave her 100 damage worth every round, and she wasn’t short on mage fire.

Instead, she focused on the sulfur in the air.  That didn’t come from Ignis or his fire.  Something else in his vicinity must be producing it.  Her magical aura left his secluded cavern and wandered the hellish landscape.

Where are you going?  You can’t go out there.  It isn’t safe.  You might not respawn.

Draya, out of options, ignored him.  She followed the essence of sulfur to a steep drop-off and a bubbling pool of lava far below.  No, she thought, that wouldn’t help.  Lava was weaker than dragon fire.  Then she stopped.  It wasn’t a pool of lava.  It was . . .

Demon Fire.

No, Ignis cried.  Don’t do it!

Draya didn’t listen.  Her aura leaped off the cliff and plunged into the pool below.  Instantly, she cried out in pain – not just her body, but her soul.  The dragon within her retreated, and hissing, scorching, incinerating fire burned through her veins and out of her hands as her attention returned to the physical realm.  Demon fire didn’t care about water, and dark red flames enveloped the Frosthold, having no problem navigating the fourth dimension to shut off all access to the surrounding water.

The arctic artifact was not alive, yet something inside it whimpered and shrank back at the demonic power inflicted upon it.  Draya poured the fire into the tesseract even as it burned her from the inside out, dropping her health precipitously without hope of recovery.  The chaotic nature of the fire prevented her from navigating the intricate pathways surrounding the Frosthold, and after a few seconds of frustration, she no longer tried.  Instead, she only dumped the power straight down the center of the vortex.

The mage’s health dropped below 50 after only a few rounds, and something inside her knew she had to stop, but she couldn’t.  The power raged through her more intensely than any amount of dragon fire she had thrown.  It attempted to enslave her even as it ruptured her veins and ripped apart her skin.  Yet, it did even more damage to the Frosthold.  She wrenched the artifact in her clenched hands, veins popping in her face and neck like a thousand-year-old witch wrestling with a stubborn pickle jar.

A moment before it was too late, Ignis violated the curse and severed the connection.

The fire stopped suddenly, and Draya lost consciousness, dropping the Frosthold with her health at seven.  She floated aimlessly in the water, covered in scars and burns, black lines tracing every vein in her body like a deranged tattoo artist had attacked her.

The life-giving mana core in the center of the room had finally consumed all the wealth Shelah had supplied, and it reached out to the young woman.  Her injuries were beyond its ability to heal, blocked by whatever demon had violated her.  Yet, it understood she had endured this torture to save the kingdom.  While it knew a frozen destiny was still in its future, it could work to save this woman from the same fate.  It couldn’t heal her, but it could restore her consciousness while she remained within the mana core’s influence.

Draya’s eyes fluttered open, and she winced at the pain she felt in every fiber of her being.  Burns covered her inside and out, and each bend of a joint or stretching of skin sent a fresh wave of agony through her.  She wanted in that moment more than anything to die, but a sixth sense urged her to survive and that she was still in imminent danger.  She turned about in the room, her floating body alerting her to something unusual.  Eventually, her head angled down, and she saw the Frosthold lying on the floor.  It was beaten down but not defeated.

The water was unbearably hot, and her fire immunity kept her from taking additional damage.  Even though demon fire had produced the nearly boiling water, the flames were gone, and the resulting heat was treated typically.  Draya focused on the Frosthold and sensed the vortex coming back to life.  The demon fire had only drilled it far down into the tesseract, unable to lock it in permanently.  Already, the cooling water felt good against her painful skin, and she wanted to stay, but deep inside, she knew better.

Draya fled the room, leaving the dangerous artifact on the floor.  She experimented with shooting fire out of her hands to accelerate her through the water and found her dragon core unavailable.  It still cowered deep inside her, fenced in by the vicious demon fire that had coursed through her.  Regardless, she still had a full mana pool and tried using mage fire instead.  It worked, but the hallways leading away from the central room were narrow. She repeatedly crashed into the walls, slowing her down more than the fire helped her.  Draya was still at seven health, and hitting the walls too hard might kill her.   She saved it until she was out in the open.

Before leaving the building, she heard an ominous crackling from behind, and tremors shook the coral structure as the growing ice in the center shattered the inner rooms of the capital.  She met no one during her escape, as Shelah had spread the warning, and the merfolk could swim much faster than she could.  She finally exited the building and looked around for Psycho, Gromphy, and Ellanay.  They weren’t immediately visible, and she stopped looking as, behind her, the building cracked and exploded from the ice expanding within it.

Draya didn’t remember where the entrance to the outer dome was and hoped it didn’t matter.  If she were in charge, the dome would allow anyone to leave and only restrict entrance.  With that hope firmly implanted in her mind, she looked straight up, held her hands close to her side, and propelled herself away from the growing ice with jets of fire from both hands.  The water quenched the flames instantly, but the steam shot her up like an arrow.

Her mana dwindled quickly, and she noticed her dress wasn’t working either.  Checking her distance to the shimmering dome above her, she didn’t think it would matter.  She had just enough fire left to exit the city.  The thought of how she was supposed to breathe in the open ocean passed through her mind briefly.  Before she could worry about it, she passed through the barrier and lost consciousness.

 


 

Ellanay had to drag Psycho almost every inch of their escape as the loyal elf hated leaving Draya behind.  Still, despite their labored travel, they caught up to Gromphy as the tiny goblin swam as fast as a turtle.  Instead of passing him, Psycho grabbed the crafter with one arm and moved with renewed purpose.  Once they left the building, they saw the results of Shelah’s evacuation warnings as all the merfolk exited their homes and swam for the upper dome.  Psycho had good directional sense and had started swimming through the buildings in the direction they had come, but noticed that none of the merfolk seemed to care in which direction they swam and only headed for the closest border from their home.  The elf saw several pass through the protective shield in multiple locations and understood they wouldn’t need to find the tiny entrance in the expansive arch above them.

Gromphy noticed it too and changed tactics.  He ejected his chest, opened it, and jumped inside.  Once it was closed, the goblin must have had a way to remove the water because it floated up like a cork.  Psycho and Ellanay grabbed on at once, but their added weight was too much, halting the object's rise.  Reluctantly, they let go and swam after the trunk as fast as possible.

When they were halfway to the dome, they heard the crackling and explosive sounds of ice freezing everything behind them.  “Draya!” Psycho cried, stopping their ascent momentarily and looking back at the horrific sight.  A living glacier had consumed the capital building and expanded into the surrounding structures.  “No!” the elf cried.

“Nal,” Ellanay tugged at his arm, “look!”  She pointed directly above the city’s center, and they saw a woman streaking up toward the top of the dome, a stream of steam and bubbles in her wake.  “It has to be her, right?  Please, we need to go.”

Psycho nodded and swam after the rising chest again.  It was picking up speed, and they had no chance to catch it.  The ice below them was growing, but with each gain it made in diameter, it grew exponentially in volume and wasn’t accelerating.  Still, it would catch them if the two elves didn’t swim for everything they were worth.

Above them, Gromphy’s chest was just about to pass through the protective dome.  Before it did, the lid cracked open, and a small object floated out.  Psycho couldn’t tell what it was but knew the crafter had left it for him.  He and Ellanay kicked even harder and made it to the inner perimeter of the kingdom with only a few rounds to spare before the growing ice ball below filled the whole dome.

Gromphy had left them a single vial filled with sky-blue liquid, obviously meaning for them to drink it, but there was only one.  “It’s for you,” Ellanay said.  “He would have made it for you.”

“Yes, but . . .” Psycho looked at the inky blackness of the ocean beyond the border where neither of them would be able to breathe and then down at the hungry glacier below them.  They couldn’t stay there.  He had to decide.  There was only one decision to make.  He drank the vial.  It was an odd feeling since his lungs were already filled with the breathable water all around him.  His body figured it out, sending this new fluid down the correct passage into his stomach.

The effects were instantaneous.  Psycho was as powerful as a frost giant, his arms and legs more than up to the challenge for the rest of the swim.  Beyond that, his lungs felt ten times their standard size, and he knew he could hold his breath for far longer than usual.  He smiled at Ellanay.  “Take a deep breath and hold on,” he said, drawing a tremendous volume of oxygenated water into his lungs and propelling the couple up through the barrier just as the ice closed behind them.

Ellanay felt like she was holding on to a dolphin as Psycho carried her upward.  She could add nothing to his powerful swimming and instead looked down, wondering if it would be fast enough to escape the ice below.  She saw at once that they were safe from that danger as the expanding glacier hit the dome of the kingdom, shuddered, and stopped.  As powerful as the Frosthold was, it couldn’t freeze the entire ocean.  The kingdom’s mana core was still active and controlling the barrier.  It was designed to keep enemies out and friends in.  Now, it was doing the opposite, allowing all the characters to leave and keeping the evil ice locked inside.

With that danger avoided, she turned her eyes upward as the burning in her lungs alerted her to their next problem.  Though, as she looked into Psycho’s eyes, she saw no strain.  If his lungs were craving oxygen, it didn’t show.  She needed air now and fought desperately against the urge to open her mouth and inhale.  Her body had grown used to “breathing” water for the past few minutes, but she knew it would be a terrible mistake outside the merfolk kingdom.  Instead, the paladin searched for the moonlight above to give her strength but found only the inky blackness of the ocean, which gave no indication of how close they were to the surface or how much longer she would need to hold on.

Psycho was initially oblivious to his partner's plight, feeling as if he had only been swimming for a few seconds, even though it was now over a minute.  Ellanay’s body convulsed in his arms as the game mechanics applied damage to the elf to simulate her drowning state.  Psycho swam faster, his eyes searching for any light to show where the surface might be.  Could she hold on that long?  Would she die?  The ranger didn’t care about the respawn rules.  She couldn’t die in his arms, not like this.  He was still so full of oxygen that he couldn’t imagine what she must be feeling.

Then it hit him.  Psycho stopped swimming momentarily and lifted Ellanay’s dying form before him.  Her eyes were almost closed, her life moments from expiring.  The elf’s lips were blue, and Psycho pressed his mouth against them fervently.  Her mouth opened at his touch, and he filled her with oxygen.  Ellanay’s body jolted again, but in a good way, as she woke from near death and gripped Psycho tightly.  Their kiss lasted longer than necessary to save her life, and neither of them cared.

Eventually, Psycho pulled away and resumed swimming.  They broke through the water's surface a minute later, gasping in the night air and spewing lungsful of the magical water that had sustained them.  Gromphy’s chest floated close by, and they swam over to it.  The trunk supported their weight, and they caught their breath, taking large gasps of the liquid-free air.  It didn’t take long to spot Serenity, only a few dozen yards away.  Ellanay cast a light spell, and the reaction on the ship’s deck was instantaneous.  They watched as the vessel’s prow turned toward them.

Before Renald’s ship arrived, Shelah swam up to the pair, startling them both.  The merman said nothing at first, presenting only a grave expression.  Psycho assumed it was due to the state of his kingdom, which might have played a role, but he also pulled Draya’s limp form behind him.  In the moonlight, Psycho could see scars on her face, and her magical dress was almost in tatters, barely holding on to her body.

“What happened?” the elf asked.

“I don’t know,” the merman replied.  “The residue of a demonic presence permeates her.  I do not know how she is still alive.  I’m happy to see that you are.  I could sense the goblin’s magic within you, and I hoped you could make it on your own.  Draya could not.”

Beside them, the chest popped open, and Gromphy stood.  He looked like a tiny captain of his own miniature ship.  Despite the situation, Ellanay smothered a chuckle.  The crafter looked down at the group, noticing Draya’s condition.  “Thou hast survived, though barely.”

“You could have given us two potions,” Psycho said.

“I hadn’t the ingredients,” the goblin replied.  “I assumed thou would . . . discern a solution.”

Psycho frowned at the crafter, thinking this was hardly the time to play matchmaker.  Ellanay managed another chuckle.

Serenity’s crew hauled them on board a few minutes later, and after passing towels around, Gromphy could better evaluate Draya’s condition.  Shelah was a priest, but the profound demonic odor emanating from the woman drove him away.  Gromphy fed her a healing and restoration potion.  Her mana replenished, but her health stayed at seven, and she remained unconscious.  Snowy sniffed at her still form tentatively and wined.

“What is wrong with her?” Psycho asked.  Besides the charred lines that covered her body, her typically fiery red hair now had a thick black streak.

“Demon fire,” Gromphy replied.  “I know not from whence it came nor for how long, but this damage is beyond my ability to heal.  Her dress no longer sustains her.  She cannot engage in combat.”

“We saw her escaping in dramatic fashion,” Psycho said.  “She was powerful then.  Did the demonic fire attack her after she left the kingdom?”

Shelah stepped forward.  “The city’s mana core sustained her.  I could feel the magic inside her.  It was the only thing that kept her conscious.  Once she was outside the dome . . .” he trailed off for a moment.  “I was only just in time to save her.”

Psycho stood from the woman and spun around, cursing into the night air.  “I shouldn’t have left her!”

“Don’t say that,” Ellanay responded, clinging to his arm.  She hadn’t left his side since their ascent through the ocean.  “Then you would be burnt with demon fire too, or be frozen back in the city.  Is that what you want?”

“What if we killed her?” Renald asked, drawing the instant ire of the fuming ranger.  Psycho had enough control not to lash out, understanding the true intent behind the careless words.  Renald explained anyway.  “She will wake up in your stronghold as good as new.”

“I doubt it,” Shelah said, still keeping his distance from the woman.  “When we die, we return to the one who has a claim on our soul.  If we are in another’s stronghold, we are theirs.  If our lives were sacrificed to a higher or lower being, we belong to them.  Only if no other power can lay claim to us do we return to our leader’s stronghold.  Right now, I would say a powerful demon has left its mark on your mage.  It might not own her soul but has surely laid claim to her body.  If Draya were to die in this condition, she might wake up in hell, and the denizens of that awful place would fight over her.  A live human is a thing beyond value in the underworld.  One with a dragon core inside would result in a conflict that could destroy our world.  I know not the strength of your master, but he would have to be a god among men to make such a rescue.”

That speech left everyone in silence for several rounds.  Psycho was the first to speak.  “Well, the fighting is over.  We can give her time to rest until we figure something out.”

“Nay,” Gromphy replied, standing to look at the ranger.  “Gracie has not ceased screaming at me since we left the kingdom below.  While inside, she could not contact us.  Now it seems Jace requires our assistance immediately.”

Psycho was torn.  Gromphy wasn’t telling him what to do, yielding to his authority on this mission.  He only laid out the facts as he knew them.  If Jace were in trouble, he would expect Draya to come hurling dragon fire.  That wasn’t possible.

“We will care for her,” Ellanay said, leaning into Psycho, still clutching at his arm.  

“Yes,” Renald said.  “It is the least we can do.  I will take her to Safe Haven.  They will have priests there who can attend to her.  You still have an alliance with me.  I will be able to travel with her even if she is unconscious.”

That sounded good to Psycho, and he turned to Shelah.  “I am truly sorry about your kingdom.”  He looked at Gromphy briefly before returning to the merman.  “We did not intend to destroy it.”

Shelah swallowed a lump of anger and nodded.  “I know.  What your crafter did was foolish, but perhaps it was for the best.  Even as I was saving their lives, nearly everyone in the city treated me with contempt.  I fear my kingdom is lost, whether encased in ice or not.”  He turned to look at Onan, still tied to the mainmast.  “He is the one who destroyed my home.”

“It is our mission to bring you to your father,” Psycho said.  “To bring you to Tamar.  Will you come with us?”

“Gladly,” Shelah replied.  “And he is coming with me.”  He pointed at his brother.

Psycho hesitated.  That wasn’t part of the plan.  Shelah didn’t give him a chance to argue vocally.  “He comes, or I don’t,” the priest offered his ultimatum.  “Onan will face my father's justice.  I can’t start a new life with Tamar until that is resolved.”

Psycho knew enough about the game to know he had no choice.  If they wanted to solve Tamar’s quest correctly, they needed Shelah.  Well, now Shelah had a quest to fulfill.  He needed justice for his treacherous brother.

“Very well.”  He turned to Gromphy.  “I assume you have something to restrain Onan while we travel.”

“Aye,” Gromphy said.  “Snowy.”

Psycho was momentarily confused but saw the wolf accompany Shelah and several of Renald’s crew to untie Onan.  Snowy growled and bared her teeth at the fighter.  Onan still had his hands tied behind him and was almost too scared to breathe.  “I guess that will work.”  He turned to Renald.  “We can use the travel node on this ship?”

The captain nodded.  “Do you know where you are going?”

Psycho did not.  Gromphy did.  “Gracie hath marked it on my map.”

“Then this is farewell,” the captain shook his hand.  “It was a pleasure sailing with you.”

Psycho turned with an extended arm toward Ellanay.  She batted it aside and hugged him instead, kissing him on the cheek.  “Don’t worry,” she whispered.  “We’ll take care of your friend.”

“I will return for her,” Psycho said.

“I look forward to it,” Ellanay replied.

Without further delay, the departing group gathered and retreated to the travel node below deck.

 


Author's Note:

As usual, that section was much longer than I anticipated and is only half of this quest.  Also, what happened to Draya was not in my outline.  However, once I thought of it, I couldn’t let it go.  I think it will work out better than what I had planned.  At least, I hope so.

If you are enjoying the story, please leave a comment or rate the story if you haven’t already.

0