7. Borgk
225 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zero woke up coughing as he choked on water that was being forcibly poured down his throat. He looked around him to see Harry standing over him with a container of water.

"(S-sorry- oh, you can't even understand me,)" Harry said before handing Zero the water container so he could drink for himself.

[One unread message.]

[Spell acquired: {Major Heal}]

A system message popped up in front of Zero before he realized that although his body felt extremely sore, most of his major injuries were healed. He gave Harry a thumbs up and a grin as Harry awkwardly gave a thumbs up back.

Zero took the water container Harry was offering and quenched his thirst as he watched Harry raise his hands with a yellow glow emanating from them.

"({Purify}!)" Harry shouted as the yellow glow from his hands covered Zero.

[Spell acquired: {Purify}]

Zero watched in wonder as all the dirt, grime, and caked blood over his body and clothes were washed away by the gentle yellow light.

"(So you're pretty useful at times, huh?)" Anun chuckled as he walked over to Harry and Zero. "(Kai's on lookout right now, he'll be back later.)"

Then, Anun squatted down and looked Zero in the eyes and said, "(And you. I don't know how you managed to cast my magic, but I'll be keeping an eye on you)," before he laughed, and patted Zero on the shoulder.

He stood up and walked over to where a backpack was on the ground.

[Host, you have unlocked the System Shop.]

The system suddenly spoke in Zero's mind. He walked a short distance away from the duo so that they would not be able to see what he was doing. Zero could faintly feel Anun's eyes boring a hole in his back as he walked away.

"Shop," Zero said under his breath after adding his available attribute into STR.

A system window popped up, with only one category labeled [Language] and one item under it.

[Human Language: Esloren | Price: Free]

"How considerate of you to make it free, System," Zero muttered.

[Do not worry, host. The first language is free. Other languages in the future will cost you a certain amount depending on their complexity and rate of understanding.]

"And why is there only one category?"

[More categories will be unlocked in the future as you level up, host.]

"Alright. What currency am I supposed to use to purchase items in the future?"

[You have not yet unlocked the Coins feature, host.]

"So the store is useless right now, huh?"

[You can now communicate with the humans around you.]

"Yeah, thanks," replied Zero as he clicked on the shop item.

[Confirm purchase? Y | N ]

As Zero clicked the Y button, he waited for something to happen.

"System, why isn't it working?"

[Try speaking to that blond-haired human over there, host.]

Zero walked over to Harry, sat down on the ground, and said, "Hello, my name is Zero. How are you?"

Harry, who was wiping his staff, dropped it in shock as he asked, "You could speak this whole time???"

Zero laughed awkwardly and didn't explain.

"Well, my name's Harry, and I'm not having that great of a day," Harry answered. "I should've just stayed home..."

"What are your two friends' names?" Zero asked.

"Oh, we're not friends, we just met by chance in this dungeon after I was separated from my party," Harry said. "And by the way, have you seen a group of people in the dungeon?"

Zero replied, "Does that party include a boy with chestnut-brown hair wearing armor?"

"Oh yes!" Harry exclaimed. "That's Adam! Did you meet him?"

"Oh," Zero said as he nodded his head. "They're all dead."

"..."

Harry was speechless for a second before he responded, "...I guess that's to be expected. Adam was a very, uh, stubborn and rash person."

"But to answer your question; the one walking toward us right now is Anun, and Kai is currently on the lookout," said Harry.

"What are you two chatting about so merrily when you guys can't even communicate?" Anun asked as he walked over with an assortment of things in his hands.

"About tha-" Henry began before Zero cut him off.

"Nice to meet you Anun, my name is Zero," Zero said as he stood up facing Anun.

"You could speak Esloren?" Anun asked with a raised eyebrow.

Anun looked over at Harry and Harry only gave a helpless shrug in response.

"Y'know, communicating would've been a hell of a lot easier," Anun sighed. "If you didn't pretend to not know how to speak."

"Yeah, sorry."

Anun just sighed again and said, "Whatever, I know you're starving so I brought you two some food,"

Anun handed Harry and Zero both squares wrapped up in paper.

As Zero tore off the paper, he asked, "Are these... bricks?"

"...they're nutrient bars," Anun replied.

"Yeah, they're the most efficient way of placating your hunger and restoring energy when you're in a dungeon, even though they don't exactly taste the best," Harry chimed in from the side.

As Zero tried biting into one, he had to struggle before biting off a piece.

"Are you sure they're not bricks?" Zero asked.

"If you have to, just dip it in the water; that'll soften them up," Anun answered before walking away.

As Zero ate the nutrient bar, he noted that although the texture was a bit grainy, it didn't taste that bad. It was enough to placate his hunger and soon enough, he finished his nutrient bar.

Zero stood up and stretched. "What are we doing now?"

"I want to know that too," remarked Harry from where he was sitting.

Then, Harry poked Zero in the leg and said, "Hey, Kai's back."

Zero looked over and saw Kai running toward Anun with a serious expression on his face.

"Looks like something's going on," Zero said as he began walking toward the two. "I'm going to go check it out."

As Zero walked within earshot range of the two, he could hear Kai saying, "...another Hobgoblin. That can't be right. There can't be two Mini-Bosses inside a Mini-Boss Room. Unless the Hobgoblins aren't the Mini-Boss."

"Then we've got some real trouble on our hands, huh?" Anun replied as he smiled ruefully.

Kai, noticing Zero walking over, asked Anun, "Oh, he's awake? Did you get him something to eat yet?"

"Ask him yourself," Anun replied.

"What? Did you forget he doesn't know how to speak Esloren?" responded Kai.

"Hey, nice to meet you. I'm Zero," Zero suddenly said as he grinned at Kai.

Kai stared at him speechlessly for a second, before saying, "Communicating would've been a hell of a lot easier if you didn't pretend to not know how to speak."

"Hey, that's what I said!" Anun exclaimed from the side.

Kai ignored him and then said, "We don't have time for this, we have to leave now. The goblins are coming toward us."

"Goblins?" Zero asked as he raised an eyebrow. "How many?"

"Around thirty," Kai replied.

"Would that be an issue?" Zero asked.

"No, those regular goblins aren't the problem. They have a commander and a Hobgoblin leading them. We're going to have to take heavy casualties if we face them head-on," Kai said gravely. "And that's something I want to avoid. We're all getting out of this dungeon alive."

"Anun, how long will it take you to set up a large-scale spell?" Kai then asked.

"Give me ten minutes," replied Anun as he ran off.

"You're pretty good with that bow. We have some extra arrows with us if you're running low," Kai said as he looked at Zero. "So here's what I'm going to need you to do..."


"Sir Borgk, we are almost at the location that Toruk the Wise has provided us with," the Goblin General said tremblingly.

"Mmm." Borgk nodded in response before he suddenly knelt to inspect the ground. "Blood."

He reached out and rubbed his finger against the soil before bringing it back to his mouth to taste it.

"Not goblin blood," Borgk continued. "Keep going."

The Goblin General roared out an order at the army before continuing to march forward. They soon arrived at a clearing devoid of anything except the corpse of a Hobgoblin.

"Ooruk," Borgk said as he narrowed his eyes.

"Get his body," Borgk ordered the general. "Prepare to bring it home."

As Borgk inspected the clearing, he noticed another patch of blood on the ground. He walked over, knelt, and tasted the blood.

"It's fresh," Borgk muttered. "Those humans were here recently."

"Sir Borgk!" The Goblin General suddenly shouted as he ran over. "The head of Sir Ooruk is missing. It looks as if it has been hacked off."

"Despicable bastards." Borgk snarled. "They have no respect for the dead."

"Sir Bor-" The Goblin General's words were suddenly cut off when an arrow glowing green pierced through its skull causing warm blood to splash over Borgk's face.

The arrow then continued its flight before smashing into the ground and exploding into splinters. Borgk widened his eyes as he reached behind him for his greatsword as he watched the body of the Goblin General collapse to the ground.

As Borgk opened his mouth to shout out a warning, strange symbols engraved on the trees surrounding Borgk and the goblins lit up before a sudden wind enveloped the entire clearing, along with tiny snowflakes that flew around. The heavy wind hindered the goblin's movements and the small snowflakes pierced through many of the goblin's bodies resulting in them screaming in pain.

Another arrow shimmering with green light appeared shot toward Borgk's head, but he deflected it with his greatsword before roaring a command to the goblins.

 


 

[You have slain a Goblin General. +50 Experience Points]

The system message rang out in front of Zero as he pulled another arrow out of his quiver and notched it to his bow.

"{Piercing Shot}," Zero whispered as he released the arrow.

[Skill leveled up to 2: {Piercing Shot}]

Zero watched from his hiding spot in the tree as the Hobgoblin blocked his arrow with its weapon before roaring. Zero then diverted his attention to the other goblins in complete disarray as he pulled out another arrow.

Kai was right. Zero thought. Killing that goblin with the helmet caused the rest of the goblins to fall into chaos.

"Thanks for the free experience," Zero said as he let another arrow fly, this time through the skull of a goblin.

[You have slain a Spear Goblin. +15 Experience Points]

 


 

Borgk watched as the goblin army slowly fell apart as they were getting picked off by arrows and thin icicles that were shot from nowhere.

"RETREAT!" roared Borgk as he slowly began to back away toward the line of trees that could shield him from any unseen threats.

His order was mostly unheard, as most of the goblins were still scrambling around in chaos. Borgk cursed as he began to make his way alone toward safety before he was stopped by a figure rushing at him from the side.

"Petty tricks!" Borgk yelled as he swung his greatsword in a sideways arc at the figure.

Kai ducked the swing of the sword before raising his blade and slashing at the goblin's side. Borgk sneered and kicked out, causing Kai to change his course of action and dodge to the left.

As Borgk raised his greatsword to slash down, an arrow suddenly shot toward his head, forcing him to shift the weapon to deflect the arrow. This, however, allowed Kai to dive in and slash at Borgk's thigh before quickly retreating.

"RATS!" Borgk roared before rushing forward and swinging his greatsword at Kai.

However, he was suddenly interrupted when an icicle blasted against his unguarded back.

"Argh!" Borgk groaned before shouting, "{Iron Skin}!"

His skin suddenly shifted into a deep grey color, giving off a metallic luster. Borgk then sneered as it rushed at Kai before an arrow shimmering green flew toward its head. He ignored the arrow as it struck him in the head and splintered into pieces.

"Shit," Kai cursed as he quickly backed up from the Hobgoblin storming toward him.

Kai kicked a confused goblin in the way of the raging Borgk as he continued to make distance between them. Borgk raised a hand and smashed the goblin away, turning half of its body into minced meat, as he continued to charge at Kai.

Borgk then raised his greatsword and swung it at Kai causing him to dodge again, but this time Borgk was ready. He kicked out with his leg and caught Kai in the stomach, causing Kai to fly back.

"You're dead!" Borgk shouted as he ran toward Kai, ready to end his life.

As he raised his greatsword to deliver the killing blow, an arrow glowing green and a giant arrow made of ice blasted against his sword causing it to fly out of his hands.

"No matter. My entire body has become a weapon now," Borgk said as he raised a fist.

Then, an object came flying at Borgk causing him to reflexively punch at the object, resulting in it exploding; splattering blood and brain matter over Borgk's face. As Borgk looked at his hands, he soon realized what that object was.

"How dare you!" Borgk roared. "Unwilling to let a dead warrior rest in peace!"

Zero wasted no time talking after he threw the head of Ooruk at Borgk and instead raised his bow as he chanted, "{Enhance Sharpness}, {Piercing Shot}," and released an arrow at Borgk.

Borgk slapped it aside and shouted, "I'll kill you first!"

As Borgk rushed toward him, Zero didn't retreat, but instead also charged at Borgk.

"Do you think you can beat me in a contest of strength?" Borgk sneered. "How laughable."

Borgk then punched at Zero, but Zero ducked the punch and touched Borgk's arm before quickly backing away.

[Skill acquired: {Iron Skin}]

"{Iron Skin}!" Zero shouted as his body, like Borgk's, transformed into a metallic grey.

"What? How do you have my skill?" Borgk asked incredulously.

[Host, with the MP consumption of this skill, your MP will be depleted in roughly 3 minutes and 56 seconds.]

"Alright, I'll just have to kill him before then," Zero said as he sprinted at Borgk.

Borgk then raised a fist, preparing to punch at Zero again, before an ice arrow blasted against his back, causing him to stumble forward.

Let's see if this will work. Zero thought before casting {Enhance Sharpness} and {Piercing Thrust} on his arm.

As a light green and red energy started shimmering on Zero's hand, Zero blasted his fist into Borgk's abdomen as Borgk tried to regain his balance. The punch caused a thin crack to snake along Borgk's stomach area as he roared in pain.

[Host, your time remaining in this current state has been reduced to 2 minutes and 41 seconds.]

Shit, it looks like I need to punch where it counts. Zero thought as he cast {Piercing Thrust} on his fist again.

As Zero threw another punch, Borgk was prepared this time as he raised his arms in front of him to mitigate the damage. However, Zero had expected this and had instead thrown a feint before he lowered himself down and delivered the punch straight at Borgk's crotch.

Borgk howled in pain as he dropped down to his knees and tremblingly said, "Have you no shame? You have no honor as a warrior!"

Kai also came forward with his blade shimmering a light red and cut off one of the hobgoblin's arms. As Borgk tried to stand, icicles blasted against his legs, causing him to kneel again. Zero shoved his thumbs into the hobgoblin's eyes, leaving it blinded and in pain.

Borgk struggled to stand up and wildly swung his fists around as Zero backed up before rushing forward and delivering another blow to Borgk's crotch.

Borgk screamed in pain and collapsed onto his knees as he shouted, "Just kill me! Let me keep what little pride I have left!"

"Gladly," Zero replied as he took an arrow out of his quiver.

"I have failed, my queen. I am sorry..." Borgk muttered before Zero rammed the arrow through his eyesocket and into his brain.

Borgk instantly collapsed backward, motionless, as a system message appeared in front of Zero.

[You have slain a Hobgoblin. +100 Experience Points]

Zero then deactivated the {Iron Skin} skill before saying, "Now it's time to clean up the rest."


Harry watched as Zero fought against the Hobgoblin from his hiding spot, amazed and horrified at Zero's brutality.

I'm glad he's on our side... Harry thought before he heard some rustling from behind him.

He spun around and spotted a goblin holding a shortsword emerging from the bushes behind him. Both Harry and the goblin stared at each other for a moment before Harry took the initiative to run away.

The goblin cackled at its fleeing prey before chasing after Harry with abnormal speed for something of its stature. Harry then dove behind a tree as the goblin caught up to him, searching for him.

The goblin cackled again before it ran toward the tree, and swung its sword behind the tree, only to hit nothing. The goblin, confused, stared blankly at where Harry should've been before a force suddenly crashed down on its head; causing it to collapse to the ground.

Harry, standing behind it with his staff in his hands, screamed wildly as he swung his staff at the collapsed goblin's head. He then smashed his bloody staff into the head of the goblin repeatedly before he finally dropped it, his hands trembling.

He staggeringly gasped for breath as he fell to the ground staring at the goblin’s corpse. After a few more moments, he grabbed his staff and stood up before running back to rejoin the group.


”Has Borgk returned with their heads?” The queen questioned as she watched Toruk walk into the hut.

”My queen,” Toruk rasped before shaking his head. “Borgk is dead.”

”WHAT?” The queen roared as she gripped the armrest of her throne so tightly that it shattered into pieces. “And the ones that followed him?”

”None have returned,” Toruk said as he bowed his head.

The queen went silent for a moment before commanding, “Prepare the rest of the tribe. We’re going to war.”

”As you wish, my queen,” Toruk responded before exiting the hut.

“I will crush every single one of those maggots,” The queen growled to herself before standing up from her throne and walking over to where she kept her weapon on display.

”It looks like you’re needed again,” The queen said as she ran a finger across the sharp edge of the battle-worn scimitar.

14