15. The Amalgamation
133 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher Fetus. +2 EXP]

The notification rang out once again as Zero crushed the last egg under his shoe. By now, he was covered from head to toe in the black blood from the almost-born monsters. Zero had already gotten used to the pungent smell of the blood, not even caring enough to wipe it off anymore.

Status.

120/2000 EXP
Name: Zero
Title:
Race: Human
Class:
Level: 8
HP: 420/420
MP: 42/48
STR: 8
END: 8
INT: 8
AGI: 7

Zero stared at his status, thinking about how he had come such a long way from when he was first trapped in that dungeon. He was almost helpless against a single goblin.

I guess I'll return to that dungeon someday to clear it.

Zero returned to the four paths again, with only one way left. It was the moment of truth. If this didn't lead to the Amalgamation, he'll have to find a new lead. Zero began walking, noticing that the odd smell of decaying flesh was becoming stronger. It looks like whatever was emitting that smell was in this direction.

Zero soon arrived at his destination. It was an extremely large open area in the cave, the same brown sludge again covering every corner. However, this time there was what can only be described as an enormous mound of flesh in the middle of the space. Every portion of the monstrosity was wriggling, tendrils of its flesh snaking along the floor and walls. The thing pulsed every few seconds, reminiscent of a beating heart.

Zero confirmed with {Inspect} that it was indeed the Amalgamation mentioned by the system. Several Skin Snatchers also surrounded the Amalgamation, digging out eggs from it as well as ensuring that nothing was able to get close.

However, that wasn't the thing that interested Zero. There was a blue portal near the Amalgamation similar to the one that he had recently escaped from when he was first dumped into this world. it was a portal to a dungeon.

System, why is that here?

[The Amalgamation was likely attracted by the energy output of the portal, which is also the reason why it was able to grow to that immense size.]

Why aren't the Skin Snatchers entering the dungeon?

[The Gods have forbidden any monsters, creatures, or animals to enter dungeons. Only races that they deem "worthy" are allowed to enter.]

Why?

[Their egos. They do not wish for lowly races to dirty the prisons that they have built.]

Prisons?

With that, the system stopped answering. Zero sighed and began to plan out his ambush. He snuck up behind the Skin Snatchers waiting for the opportune moment. Once they grouped up, all harvesting eggs from one area, Zero attacked.

Zero cast {Spirit Scream}, the loud noise echoing throughout the enclosed space. The stunned Skin Snatchers dropped to the ground as their skins began to intensely vibrate. A dense {Dark Fireball} then came crashing onto the Skin Snatchers, burning them all to a crisp. When any of them tried to resist, they caught an arrow in the head from Zero.

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher. +20 EXP]

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher. +20 EXP]

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher. +20 EXP]

"Well, that was easy," remarked Zero.

He then turned his massive mound of squirming flesh. Before Zero could take action, a loud, booming voice reverberated throughout the area.

"Stop."

The noise seemed to come from the Amalgamation, its flesh still quivering.

"You... can speak?" Zero asked, surprised.

"Yes, I possess the necessary intelligence required to communicate."

"How?"

The Amalgamation paused before answering.

"Whenever one of my children gains control over someone's skin, they receive parts of their memories. Learning to speak in the human tongue was not so difficult."

"Why are you doing this?" Zero questioned. "What is your goal?"

"This is simply how my species survive and reproduce," came the answer. "It is not a crime to live, is it?"

"Yeah, you're right. It's not. Too bad I'm going to have to kill you anyway."

"Wait."

"What now?" Zero asked. "You're not planning on asking me to spare your life, are you?"

"I have a proposition."

Zero raised an eyebrow.

"I am able to modify your flesh so that you can attain power beyond your wildest dreams. Your body will be harder than that of steel; you will be unstoppable. Moreover, if you do kill me, my children will simply return the favor to you. You will not be able to escape with your life."

The Amalgamation sounded calm, as if everything was within its control and Zero would definitely agree.

"You have an interesting point there. I'm going to have to refuse, though."

Zero then began casting {Dark Fireball}, unwilling to waste any more time.

"You will die! Die! Do you understand?" the Amalgamation bellowed, completely ridding itself of its peaceful facade.

Zero bombarded the Amalgamation with fire, causing it to screech in pain.

"We will perish together!" the Amalgamation shrieked. "You will not leave this cavern alive! My children will rip you to shreds!"

Zero ignored the Amalgamation and focused on decorating every part of the fleshy monster with purple flames. A strange scent of burning flesh rose from the Amalgamation, its tendrils covering the surroundings also beginning to shrivel up. With a final scream, the Amalgamation finally perished, its fleshy body ceasing to move.

[You have slain an Amalgamation. +1000 EXP]

[Quest Completed. You have received +1000 EXP, {Deceiver of Truths}]

[You have leveled up.]

Sweet. This quest is really making it worth the trip here. Status.

260/3000 EXP
Name: Zero
Title:
Race: Human
Class:
Level: 9
HP: 420/470
MP: 39/53
STR: 8+
END: 8+
INT: 8+
AGI: 7+

Zero decided to place one point into AGI, STR, and END. He then took a look at the newly acquired {Deceiver of Truths} title.

[{Deceiver of Truths} (Title)

Additional Information: +10 INT, +2 STR, +2 END, +2 AGI]

Zero equipped the title and marveled at his new stats.

260/3000 EXP
Name: Zero
Title: Deceiver of Truths
Race: Human
Class:
Level: 9
HP: 430/500
MP: 41/73
STR: 11
END: 11
INT: 18
AGI: 10

He then remembered he had more to do.

Aw, fuckThe people that I needed to save. I have to get to them before the Skin Snatchers.

Zero activated {Camouflage}, turned around, and began running back. He saw the two Skin Snatchers in the distance running toward him. They were guarding the cave entrance earlier, assuming that they were now running in the direction of the Amalgamation to catch the intruder. Seeing no reason to leave them alive anymore, Zero took out two arrows, also camouflaged, and stabbed both of the Skin Snatchers as they passed by.

They quickly collapsed to the ground, the tendrils of flesh attempting to escape. Zero also quickly dispatched them, earning two notifications for his hard work.

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher. +20 EXP]

[You have slain a Skin Snatcher. +20 EXP]

Zero continued running, knowing that the other Skin Snatchers would be arriving soon. Shortly after, he arrived in the area where the trapped humans were being held. They looked alarmed, as the noise Zero and the Amalgamation made earlier had also reached them.

Zero disabled his {Camouflage}, causing one of the chained persons to scream in horror. Zero looked down at himself, remembering that he was covered in black blood entirely. They probably thought that he was one of the Skin Snatchers, here to kill them all.

"Don't worry, I'm not one of them," Zero reassured as he stepped closer.

The people inched back, still not trusting him. Zero simply walked around and snapped one of their chains.

The man having been freed, quickly crawled back, asking, "How do we know we can believe you?"

Zero rolled his eyes.

"Would I have freed you if I was one of them?"

The man, stunned by the rebuttal, answered, "That's fair."

Zero then took ripped apart the rest of their chains, freeing them all. They all thanked Zero profusely before backing away, seemingly still unable to trust him.

Zero didn't blame them either. They had already been deceived enough by the Skin Snatchers.

"We have to leave. Now," Zero told the group. "There's a lot of them coming here right now."

Everyone's face paled, having barely been able to taste freedom.

"What do we do?" someone asked desperately.

"Just follow me, I'll protect you," Zero answered. "Hurry up, don't fall behind."

Zero led the group down the path, with them stumbling behind. They were trying their best to keep up, but they had been starved for far too long and could only barely walk.

Shit. At this rate, we'll never be able to escape in time.

Zero's fears came true when he saw a group of Skin Snatchers rapidly sprinting toward them. The others screamed in terror as they scrambled back. Zero knew that fighting them would delay time and would instead allow even more Skin Snatchers to get to their location. He would have to either escape by himself or stay with the group.

He looked back and saw everyone looking at him with desperate hope in their eyes. After all, he was the only one who could rescue them from this dark hell. Zero sighed, before taking several arrows out of his quiver.

He cast {Piercing Shot} and the arrows were then launched into the ceiling, exploding and raining down rocks alongside parts of the ceiling. The ceiling collapsed, providing cover between the Skin Snatchers and Zero's group. However, they were now also trapped inside the cave with no way out.

"We'll have to find another way out," Zero announced.

And fast. After all, there's only so much oxygen that's in this area of the cave before we all die from suffocation.

14