Chapter 1 – The payment
51 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking up in the morning really sucks, especially if you drank the night before it. Though, Last night was a blast...

Not really, it was more like a sad excuse of a self-pity party.

"What a mess" i said as i tread my eyes across my messy bedroom.

I did buy some beer from the nearby convenience store, why? Well it's to 'celebrate' my pathetic life.

Now, as a person who knows myself quite well, i wouldn't go so far just to ridicule myself like this, this is way too much for little ol' me!

But yesterday was a real bummer, not only did i fail to contact that stupid editor who "apparently", agreed to help me finalize my manuscript, but i also lost my girlfriend. Now how did this happen?

So yesterday, I finished uploading the last chapter of my novel into the non-profit webnovel websites that usually post into. And due to  my novel skyrocketing in fame, one 'editor' reached out to me and told me that they were going to help me finalize, revise and publish my novel to a real company to help me make money.

"What?! Is this re-real?!" I yelled looking at my computer in surprise.

Right after receiving this news i did a break dance inside my apartment with my girlfriend.

Though I don't need money right now 'cause i already have a decent job at a pretty big company. But since i have already made the novel, and the editor personally reached out to me, the money was basically asking to come to my wallet, so why not let the opportunity in?

And maybe i could publish new novels in the future and earn more money from it and possibly earn more than my current income. And  maybe after that, i could quit being a corporate slave as early as 28 even before i reach 30, so i went for it.

I opened my phone to look at the comments on the last chapter of my novel. Many people liked and disliked it some saying:

[This is very generic]

[It is the same as those old ass fantasy stories, though it is still refreshing]

[You have spent time on creating this boring ass story]

[Meh not my genre]

I don't really mind all the negative comments 'cause i am already used to them, my novel has more than 500 chapters so it would make sense if i am already immune from the words of my bashers.

I wouldn't have been able to come this far if i could be easily hurt by words from people i barely care about. But looking at the last comment made me a little irritated.

"Then why would you even read up until this chapter if this wasn't your genre?! could you please make sense?" I told the screen out of irritation, but i didn't reply what i just said because i want to preserve my 'don't care' image.

"Though some of them aren't wrong...." i told myself with a little droop in my mood.

"But that's the point! I want people's minds to be refreshed back to the 'OG' fantasy plot so i made this, and despite their criticisms, my novel is still ranked at the top" i told myself with an ugly smug face.

My novel is a fantasy style hero vs monsters typa thing, like the one where the protag swears that he won't spare a single man-eating giant in the whole entire world as he sees his mom getting eaten while he runs away.

There are many similarities in comparison to 'our' timeline but at the same time there are still many differences, especially in dates such as the Roman Empire ending in 500 ad, instead of '476 ad' in our timeline. Many events such as monsters from the 'other' world invading the world. Another event where 'Aether', an otherwordly force invading the world, giving many living organisms seemingly magical and reality-bending abilities. Buttetfly-effect triggered events like the abundance of the 'Aether' force that results in the mutation of many animals, turning them into monsters while some even gaining sentience and such.

The MC, Samuel, was born in a remote village near the border between the Holy Roman Empire, the largest 'human' empire, and fantasia, the land where other races and powerful monsters reside. Like other Fantasy novels, the novel takes place in the medieval ages, 1000 ad, in a more specific time frame.

One fateful day,  a 'monster wave' unexpectedly happened at the border where, unfortunately, his village was near at. The village got inevitably caught up in the wave of powerful monsters, as the village was in the monsters' way.  These wretched beings wreaked havoc in the village, killing the townspeople, including his parents.

Incoincidentally, at the time of his family's and all the other village people's death, he was preparing to be sent to the capital of the Holy Roman Empire, Lutecia. He was to be sent there to study at a prestigious academy named "Academia". (I really set him up there huh).

He came back from the forest after training and gathering food, and what he came back to was a mess. Right after seeing him come back, his parents hid him and his sister to a hiding space underneath their house.

Well, Unfortunately, at the time, even with his training, he was way too weak to fight with his parents. He could barely beat a low-level ranked monster such as a goblin, and plus, these monsters were not 'normal' monsters, as there were even powerful adventurers in the village, like his parents, who tried to fight back and protect the village, but they all died horribly, again, like his parents. So what could he do? Sadly, the only thing that he and his sister could do at that terrible moment was listen to his parents' and friends' screams as they get mutilated by the monsters.

Luckily for them, they were saved by the knights sent by the capital to extinguish the monsters after knowing what had transpired in the region. Before the knight squad could get to the village though, they had to kill off so many of the monsters that did the deed to the village, but Unfortunately for them, they were too late.

Once they arrived, the village was already utterly destroyed, while pieces of corpses of the place's inhabitants were everywhere. And after thoroughly searching the village, they found no one alive, except for the two children they miraculously spotted after seeing a piece of the floor of a certain place collapse from a fire, which seemed to be the house they once called 'home' before the disaster. The knights decided to take the two children to a camping tent to be brought with them back to the capital.

In a carriage on the way to the capital, he vowed to protect his sister and kill every monster on earth, down to the last one of them, to avenge the townspeople and especially, his parents. That is basically the synopsis of the story.

"Well there is no denying that it is Generic, but they still read it up until the ending" i reconfirm to myself.

The ending of the novel was a twist, which quite shocked the readers as most of them never expected that the protagonist's bestest of friend was the main villain all along. But some of them still claimed that they predicted it, saying that my novel was so predictable, i don't care honestly, 'cause in the end they read it, hehe.

My creepy smile immediately shut down as i went back to the main menu of my phone, where i could see the pic of me and that woman when we were in an amusement park as my wallpaper, this pic really brings back both terrible and good memories.

Now onto the topic of my girlfriend leaving me.

We had a pretty big fight yesterday, and after an hour of fighting she stormed off my apartment leaving me behind. I didn't stop her because i was still very angry back then. But thinking back on  how stupid that fight was, is making my mood sour again as i become more angrier and angrier  at her by the second.

Like girl, why would you, of all people, decide to leave me right now?! especially right after things went south!

"Uuughh" I groaned in anger just thinking about the fight yesterday.

She saw me for the past 6 to 7 days getting so frustrated to the point that tears has started to well up on my eyes trying to contact that editor, and she suddenly brings up the fact that we were failing fincancially and that she was getting sick of all of this.

And one fact is that we were not failing financially, she didnt even bother looking at our joint bank account because she was just too caught up by her overreaction.

We have a couple of grands in our bank account and the due for the bills wasn't even gonna be brought up even after a month or two from now!

*Sigh* i sighed as i try to think about that woman.

I got out of the bed and fixed it till it became decent looking and headed to where my computer is. I open my desktop and checked the status of the bank account, and lo and behold! she cut off ties from our joint bank account, as she did to me 15 to 20 hours prior from right now.

I entered fakebook and looked at her story.

As of now she is currently on a beach with another guy.

"Dang.... that was real fast" shocked, i commented to myself and as i also did digitally on her post.

"So that was why" I commented to myself in realization.

Yes..... i finally realize why she suddenly started a nonsensical fight with me yesterday!

It was for that guy! Though i guess i would too, because that guy looks attractive.... and rich.....

Wait no no no, that is not the point right now!

I shook my head as i realized what i have just said.

Looking back at my comment, I immediately saw replies on it saying stuff like:

[Man get over her already] by Martin Looker

[It has only been 17 hours since that post of her saying you two broke up, i guess you'd be shocked too] by Sarah Geralds

[I couldn't agree more @Sarah Geralds, she went to grab another one too fast! Poor the prev guy...] by some random guy that i don't know

*Sigh* as i was looking at the replies i couldn't help but let out another sigh.

That woman has always tried to become an influencer, she always bragged to me how she has a couple of hundreds of followers on both Toktik and Instaglam and that she wants to pursue a job in the entertainment industry.

That's basically the reason why i am not even shocked that she actually publicized the status of our relationship 5 minutes right after our breakup.

I mean she is pretty so i guess they would accept her if she work hard enough, but, now that i look back on our relationship, she has always been so dependent on me for absolutely everything and have always been toxic especially to me, because i was always the only one with her 24/7. I just hope that she gets accepted so that she can officially get out of my life.

*Pak* i slapped my face.

"Stop! just don't think about her anymore" i told myself with conviction as i really want to move on already, i loved her and that's why i was pained enough to drink hard and degrade myself like earlier. But man, there is no point in getting too caught up in the past. You gotta move on at some point.

After that i decided to think about other things to atleast distract myself from that woman. Then i suddenly remembered something-

I hurriedly and nervously looked at my watch-

*Gasp* i gasped when i saw that i only have 30 minutes left or else i'll be late for work.

I quickly gone off to shower, dried myself, wore my work clothes, grabbed some bread from the fridge, took my bag and immediately stormed off from my apartment. I ran as fast as i could and quickly descended the apartment staircase to the ground floor, luckily, the train station was just 50 foot steps away from my apartment, as i could even see the skyway of the train from my bedroom window.

I ran past a couple of people, i went up the stairs leading to the station, bought the tickets, i even needed to skip the line a little bit, and immediately boarded the train to work.

-------------------------------

It's night time already as i got off work, i bid everyone goodbye before i exited the office building. Luckily, earlier in the day i got to work 5 mins before the start of my shift.

"Dang..." i told myself as i thought about the close call earlier in the day. I could've been scolded and even worse.... salary deduction!

"Heughh" I shivered just thinking about the near salary deduction that i could've gained.

Gosh, i shouldn't have thought about that wench too much i almost got that salary deduction, even after our breakup she's still causing me some damage. But i guess i shouldn't blame this on that b*tch, it's still my fault at the end of the day.

After getting the train i got off at my block. Though something was off-

*Whhhoooooooshhh* the wind sounded.

The place didn't even produce a single sound except for the wind and the waving of the leaves of trees nearby.

"Maybe it's just too late already, lemme check the time" I told myself in hopes of getting rid of the anxiety  that was already starting to well up inside me.

I looked at my watch and saw that it is indeed past midnight. I just nodded to myself and proceeded to head towards my apartment building.

As i walk the silent street on the way to my apartment, i couldn't shake off this eerie feeling that somebody must be watching me from somewhere around that way-

*Ssshhhpsshhp* The bushes behind me sounded as it shook.

Without looking back, I immediately ran towards my apartment building as the anxiety inside me became fear. While i proceeded to run, i could hear the bushes sounds behind getting louder and louder and i started hearing a couple of footsteps behind me as i darted across the street....

They were heavy, i concluded that these people must be strong.

I arrived at the apartment building, it's one of those japanese small 2-story motel-like apartments from many animes that i have watched, also the reason why i immediately agreed to the landlady the moment i saw the image.

Anyway, right now is not the time to think about that as I went up the staircase up to the 2nd floor. I hurriedly grabbed my keys from my pocket with sweats on the palm of my hands, and immediately inserted the key and successfully opened the door.

*Thud* i slammed my door shut, creating a loud thud, i backed my self on my door and sighed in relief. Fortunately, i didn't become one of those horror movie characters that had their keys slipping from their hands, because either they died or had to run away to find another way.

Thinking about what had happened earlier, my heart was still beating so fast from the anxiety and adrenaline rush.

I feel my knees go weak from the amount of stress i put on my average lower body, and found that it was enough evidence that i have actually ran like that speedy superhero from the movies but this time in the body of a toddler, despite the short distance that i ran on.

I reached out for the light switch just as i opened the hallway lights leading to my living room.

*Pik*

I focus my eyes tired from looking at a computer all day. i treaded my eyes on the end of the hallway where my living room was at.

There, I could see a man clad in black holding an object that i assume is a knife.

*Gasp-

I couldn't even finish my gasp because he immediately ran towards me at near-inhumane speeds and plunged the knife into my forehead.

The force was enough for the knife to pierce through my skull like a knife cutting through butter and immediately invaded my cranial cavity where my brain is.

*Ughkkkk*

I felt an immediate sharp pain inside my head as i groaned, and as immediate as the pain, my vision blacked out.

When the murderer pulled out the knife, that was the last thing I felt before "wetness" flowed out of the hole on my skull and I felt like my head had hit the floor of my very own home.

*Thud*

0