Chapter 2: Premonition of Battle
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Tap* *Tack* *Smack*

“Owww… You’re really good at this Marko.” Dane remarked as he fell, being smacked by the wooden sword.

“Well thanks for the compliment.” He replied somewhat dismissively, thinking about the performance.

The two have been training in swordplay since the day both of them decided to grow up, leave the village, and become adventurers. While many were impressed with the tales of the Brave Spear Granje, few actually decided to leave this small community and try marching out into the larger world.

“Well you two sure are lively.” The old lady approached them with her granddaughter still clinging to her. A few years passed and both wondered when her crippling shyness would get better.

“Of course! Can’t just slack off if we’re going to fight monsters!” Dane said, fist pumping and all.

“Indeed, though you all need to know some basic conduct as well, I'm sure good kids like yourselves know that already.” She replied with a gentle smile.

“So what are you here for?” Marko asked. Usually he doesn’t see the two come around often.

“Well I think Cece is a tad lonely training by herself you see. I think she should try practicing against kids her age.” The old lady explained herself while pushing her granddaughter towards them and handed her the wooden spear.

(Isn’t she like two  years younger than us?)” Marko thought feeling slightly puzzled.

“Wha-? Oh right, she’s your grandkid so she probably is strong too!” Dane quickly came to such a conclusion before he could properly express his initial confusion.

“Well she is quite talented. I’d say if she keeps going maybe trying to hunt down a dragon won’t be that far off.” The granny said with a chuckle.

“(Isn’t that hoping a bit too much? None of us are even adults…)” Marko thought to himself, exasperated at the lofty ambition. “(Still, I’m sure a day will come where something spectacular happens.)

“Grandma, stop embarrassing me!” Cece said as her face turned red, still holding the spear.

“Well would one of you boys step up to the challenge?” Her granny asked, looking at the two boys.

“How about it Marko? I just got my butt kicked, I wanna take a break.” Dane asked as he turned to look at Marko, dusting himself off.

“Well fine.” That was his reply as he readied himself. Seeing this reaction Cece also immediately went on guard if still with a nervous look on her face.

“(Should I go easy on her? Even if she’s as talented as said I don’t think her attitude really help much.)” Marko considered his action seeing the nervous girl.

“Don’t even think about underestimating her alright?” The granny said with a slightly devious smile this time around which caught his attention. “Let’s get started!”
*Dash*
“Fast!” Before he could even realize that the fight started, Cece already dashed towards him with a precise aim towards his torso. He barely moved out of the way as the spear nearly connected. He wasn’t quite ready to fight, let alone someone who he can tell is stronger than he is.

*Parry*

“(Is she really younger than me here!?)” Marko panicked internally, trying to parry a multitude of attacks coming his way from an actual prodigy with superior power and speed.

He was forced to go on the defensive as his opponent continued her relentless assault, blocking and parrying the incoming attack, so relentless he found himself losing his composure.

*Strike*
“Gaah!” He screamed out as he got hit and hit the ground hard. Seeing her opponent fall down Cece immediately panicked.

“I-I’m sorry did that hurt!?” Cece said out loud in concern, her initial ferocity disappeared.

“I-I’m… fine…” Marko said, struggling to stand back up. It was barely even a fight all things considered. “(Well I guess the protagonist doesn’t always win these early fights…)”

“She’s a special kid, what can I say? You did good too kid, able to react that quickly, so don’t bring yourself down.” The granny said, patting Marko’s head.

Before long the pair of grandmother and child left the duo alone, leaving both to reflect on what happened.

“Well I guess we just have to try harder!” Dane said to cheer his friend who now shared the dream of leaving the village behind to try to make it big in spectacular battles.

“I guess so, and I’m not planning to lose again.” Marko said with a small smile. He just has to try harder, surely no more embarrassing defeat like that again.

“...You know, you seem a lot different from the first time we met. Why is that?” Dane asked in a curious tone, not knowing even the slightest bit of the change in the young boy, only able to appreciate having someone having the same dream.

“Uhhh… I just find the whole thing exciting is all, I have never heard of adventuring before.” Marko said rather nervously.

“Oh I see. I get that.” Dane replied without giving a second thought.

“(I really need to step up my explanations, he’s just a kid so he’s easy to fool.)” Marko began thinking of such things. He wouldn’t want anyone to know of him being a reincarnator, feeling like things could get complicated if the words go out. “(Could there be more out there as well? I don’t want to think about that either, what would that mean about me if there’s more reincarnators?)”

Not wanting to think about what he feels is an existential question, he bids Dane farewell and walks back home.

“Hey there son, how was sparring?” His father greeted him as soon as he came back.

“I won again, but that spear lady’s grandkid showed up.” He replied, grumbling a bit.

“Ohhh… That blue-haired girl yeah? She looks weak but I guess not if she beats you up.” His father commented on it with a rather dismissive tone.

“Don’t you feel disappointed?” Marko asked, wanting a clear answer.

“Huh? Where did that come from? Look kid, in a small village like this there’s barely anything to expect. It’s why I’m fine with you going out there when you’re old enough, one less hand around the house doesn't really mean much, I’m fine with you wanting to go out there and experience the outside. I don’t really care who you win or lose to if you’re still kicking alright?” His father approached him and gave him a tap on the back. “Of course, you're gonna come back to visit us at some point alright?”

“I… I’ll think about it, promise.” He wasn’t sure what to make of that speech, but he can tell his father is genuine in supporting his dream of leaving. He was a bit scared to see how everyone would react, but in the end everyone was fine with it to the point he wasn’t sure what to make of it. “(Honestly it almost feels like they just don’t care enough to stop me, but maybe they’re really that supportive? I don’t really know anyone who would be that considerate.)”

He may not know which answer was the right one, but he does know that he has the freedom to leave regardless, so why shouldn’t he?

Time once more flies by as he grows up, training and sparring each day, occasionally helping around the house, becoming a new routine for him. It was certainly more stimulating than whatever he does back in his old life, but the waiting has been long and excruciating. Not only was the wait frustrating, but there was one more thing as well.

*Smack*

“Damn it…” He lay on the ground defeated. The opponent who defeated him was the same every time. The girl with blue hair.

“She doesn’t even go all out… Then again it could prove quite the trouble.” Her grandma commented. It was a comment that just rubbed salt in the wound.

“(Why!? I wasn’t slacking off yet she’s still beating me!)” His frustration certainly grows every time they come into conflict. “(And she really just said she wasn’t even taking me seriously…)”
“Calm down Marko, you’ll beat her one of these days.” Dane said, seeing the expression on his friend’s face.

“That petty anger of yours won’t solve anything boy, relax and think things through.” The old lady said, noticing his reaction as well, while also gesturing to Cece to keep silent. “If you don’t you will never go anywhere, let alone on my level in my prime, or that of someone I heard is becoming real notorious nowadays.”

“I’m not angry…” He said, trying to quell his embarrassment, not even wanting to listen to what she has to say. “(Just one of these days… I’ll win and never look back.)”

“...Oh right! Miss Granje! What about magic?” Dane asked as he remembered something that was on his mind for weeks now. Sparring and getting stronger is one thing, but with magic it’s not something that can come naturally to everyone. Marko tried to do it without any help but came up short.

“That thing huh? It’s not exactly something everyone has natural aptitude for. I myself didn’t use much of it during my adventuring years. I suppose I could at least try showing you a few of my own and see if any one of you can pick up on it.” She proposed as she started cycling through the elements. Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, Earth. She’s not an expert in magecraft but can cast basic spells of the more common elements well enough as examples.

It doesn’t give the boys too much to work with, but they try to get the feel of magic and what makes it tick.

“(Ugh… I’m having a headache just trying to understand what’s going on…)” Marko thought to himself, holding his head as he put all of this attention into observing the spells. Dane was doing the same but clearly struggled to keep up in comparison.

“Haaah… I must say it is quite exhausting to keep cycling through each spell for a long while. I hope that can give you something to work with. I’ll go take a nap, come along Cece.” The old lady eventually stopped and went back home along with her granddaughter. Now the two boys are left alone for the day and ponder to themselves how they can practice and learn to use magic for real.

Eventually they both go home to get a nice rest. A slight change to their current monotonous life as now they have magic more on their mind than ever.

Days continue on as they train, try to figure out magic, rinse and repeat until one day…

“[Wind]!” Marko shouted out with Dane alongside him. They can feel a strong wind being shot out of his hand. They aren’t sure if it’s really magic or not, but it does feel like they’re stepping in the right direction.

“Cool! That was fast, Marko!” Dane sang his friend praise while he was still processing what happened.

“Wow…” It was a simple spell but it still leaves him in awe. It’s an actual magic that he witnessed and created himself.

“That’s what I’m talking about! I will do it one of these days too!” Dane shouted out full of hope, a kid with a dream and determination to reach it.

“(I managed to use very basic wind magic, but what other kind of magic can I use? So far this is the only element I successfully use.)” Marko meanwhile began thinking to himself of his potential with magic. “(Maybe I’ll get some unique magic?)”

“Marko?” Dane said to his spaced-out friend.

“Ah, sorry. I’m just thinking.” He replied awkwardly, a bit taken aback.

After that point on he began to practice magic as well as swordsmanship, sometimes trying flashy moves from video games and movies to no avail, they were all too impractical for him to try at this level.

Another year passed with both of them becoming quite a skilled fighter with some magical ability. Of course neither of them has ever had a real fight before, something a certain old lady knows is an issue.

“I know you two will leave immediately once this year is up, no doubt very excited to leave this boring old place, but we should get you all to get some real combat first shouldn’t we.” She suggested, approaching them with her granddaughter by her side.

“Would that be fine? I mean we aren’t really allowed to leave without an adult until next year right?” Marko said, puzzled at the sudden topic.

“Well who to say only you two would go? Cece and I will also be tagging along.” The granny said with a confident smile.

“Wha!? That’s great!” Dane said, brimming with enthusiasm. For him the opportunity to have a legend overlook his training could not be ignored.

“That’ll be reassuring. When will we do that then?” Marko meanwhile merely asked for the time of such a special occasion.

“Any day would work I’d say… Hmm… Cece deary what day would you like?” She opted for her granddaughter to answer that question for her instead.

“Uhhh… Tomorrow?” Cece answered somewhat unsure of herself.

“Then that’s that. I can easily prepare equipment for everyone involved so don’t worry about those alright?” The granny said while everyone nodded in response.

“Huh… Well I guess we should train and get ready for tomorrow.” Marko casually remarked as the pair left the two alone with their thoughts once more.

They didn’t think any further before going back to their training, calling it a day, and anticipating tomorrow.

“Honestly if she didn’t say she’d come along I would’ve been real worried.” Marko’s father said hearing the news.

“I know she’s a veteran and all but isn’t she really old right now? I think that would be a bit worrisome.” Confused by his confidence Marko asked, feeling curious about his father’s thinking.

“Must’ve not seen her fight then. She’s old but can still kick our asses flying into the capital if she wants to. Honestly it’s terrifying to think about what she used to be like.” His father answered. He was a slight bit surprised that she apparently can fight that well and somewhat active, even though she appeared to be in her seventies.

“What was she doing?” He asked, not really knowing what she did around here.

“Mostly just escorting us lumberjacks. Monsters tend to stay in forests and lakes so we need some assistance.” His father answered. It was pretty easy to figure out all things considered, but Marko did find himself a bit surprised he hadn't heard of this before.

“You actually have quite a bit of muscle on you dad, do you really need an old lady’s help?” Marko asked, still feeling slightly skeptical, looking at his father who is actually quite muscular and large compared to the average man.

“Well I am pretty strong, but extra hands to deal with dangers are always good to have. I think she just wants to move around a bit more.” His father replied, flexing his muscles a little bit.

“I see.” Marko replied simply before going on his way, taking a break with an afternoon meal and a good night's rest, relaxing and readying himself for tomorrow, the first real fight he’ll have in this fantastical world.

They all quickly gathered at the playground, with the boys seeing the surprising amount of items the granny was carrying along.

“Choose your weapons dear.” She sweetly said while clad in red armor. It was a jarring look but they went along with it. Marko and Dane picked a sword, while Cece and Granje picked a spear. The kids also wear some armor as well to keep themselves protected. Soon they marched out of the village walls and into the wilderness, which the aspiring youths have never witnessed before.

“(Damn, I’d never imagine going outside to feel this way, maybe because it’s been so long.)” Marko thought to himself. Such childish wonders should be below him but he cannot help but let it take over for even just a second.

“So where are we going from here?” Dane enthusiastically asked.

“Just follow me, you’ll get your actions soon enough.” The granny confidently said as the teens followed her.

Soon they were in a lush area full of greenery. It was a place one would expect monsters to hang out in the shade of the woods.

“Stay vigilant, monsters can come out at any time.” Granje told the teens as they walked around the woods. They were all nervous as she said this and looked rather stiff.

Despite the serenity of the environment the words of the veteran with decades of experience keep them on edge. No doubt she can sense the surroundings better than they can and they need to trust their caretaker. They need to keep silent in order to detect any unnatural noises.

It was deadly silent for a moment, making the young warriors all the more tense…

And then-!

“There!” The old lady said with authority and power, pointing her spear at a bush that a second was shaking, then jumped out a monster.

It was a few small green creatures, bipedal with long noses and ears as well as ugly faces.

“(Goblins…)” Marko thought with a disgusted sneer. He has obviously seen them in drawings and such, but seeing them up close and in real life, their ugliness has become all the more apparent much to his chagrin.

*Strike*

“These are small fries but don’t underestimate them.” As the group was looking at monsters for the first time they were not going to stand there idly, and rushed in to attack the group only for the old lady to strike and skewer one of them in seconds, leaving the monsters to pause momentarily to process what had happened. She dismissively swung her spear around to throw the corpse off her weapon as everyone watched.

“(How the hell is she doing that at over seventy!? This really is a fantasy world.)” Marko monologue to himself seeing the absurdity of an old wrinkly woman stabbing and killing a green midget in mere seconds, leaving everyone flabbergasted.

“Haaah-!” Cece however took the opportunity to sprint towards one of the goblins and strike it, emulating her grandmother’s technique.

*Strike*

It connected and fatally stabbed through the small green monster. What the teens didn’t quite prepare for was the gorey nature of battle. A spear piercing through the small creatures left it bleeding with its internal organs crushed into a mess and appeared at the other end of the spear, as well as blood dripping out of the corpses.

Cece quickly retreated, feeling a bit squeamish and looked away while shaking the corpse off her own spear.

“(Ugh… I need to get used to this… Otherwise I’m never gonna get a good night's sleep ever again…)” Marko thought with a disgusted expression, while Granje looked indifferent and the other two looked away in horror. Marko might now have seen much in terms of actual real life carnage, but as someone who has seen some rather bloody media and has experienced death, it was easier for him to withstand.

“Keeek!” The rest of the goblins screamed out and rushed towards the group, with Granje standing by and seeing how the teens reacted.

Marko immediately puts on a defensive stance while Cece does the same after registering that the goblins are coming after them. Dane however was still in a daze.

*Slash* *Stab* *Slam*

Marko and Cece evaded and countered the goblins with a precise hit to their vital areas, while Dane needed to be bailed out by Granje who grabbed the goblin that was after him and slammed it into the ground and crushed its organs.

“Get a grip boy, otherwise you’re not gonna become an adventurer.” She said to the scared boy. At this point and time the rest of the goblins fled the scene seeing the carnage and strength of their opponents.

“I… I will…” He said with less energy than usual.

“(Well he is a normal kid so I can’t really blame him, meanwhile Cece is clearly unusual, but not as much as me...)” Marko thought as he witnessed his companion’s reaction.

“It’s an expected reaction I suppose. He has never seen or even considered what a real battle would look like… I’m sure he can overcome it, just need a little push.” Granje said before walking ahead, with the rest following right after.

The sounds one would expect to hear from an insect can be heard with the group stopping their walk as they heard it.

“A buman…” Granje muttered as a large bipedal bug presented itself. Its head is that of a battling beetle with two pairs of arms and a pair of legs all covered in exoskeleton.

“A what now!? (What the hell is this thing!? I expected to see something like this in a horror movie not a fantasy story!)” Marko was left confused and panicked due to its disgusting and unnerving appearance. While the concept of a bug man wasn’t unheard of to him, it’s also not something that was commonplace in this kind of setting as well, surprising him in the process.

“Just what it sounds like, a bug-human hybrid that’s just a mindless monster in the end.” Granje explained as she took a defensive stance. “It’s a strong monster in its own right, so don’t expect to defeat it in one blow like with those goblins.”

“(I think the problem is that it’s so gross I don’t want to go near it!)” Marko snarks to himself. While he would admit to not being the most hygienic person out there, no one sane would not be repulsed by what he’s seeing. As he looked around he saw a disgusted Cece grabbing her bow. “(Wait when did she get a bow-)”

*Shoot* *Shoot* *Shoot*

Suddenly a barrage of arrows appeared to strike down the giant bipedal bug, many of which got swatted away while only a few pierced its durable exoskeleton, which only slowed it down.

“Seems she’s pulling out her trump card already, I guess she really can’t stand this thing.” Granje casually commented seeing her granddaughter shooting nonstop at the giant bug which is tanking her arrow and moving ever closer.

“(Where the hell did those arrows come from? Or the bow for the matter…)” Marko was too distracted by the mystery of Cece’s bow and arrow to actually assist her against this grotesque monster.

“Care to help out, boy?” Granje looked at Dane as asked. The buman was slowed down heavily and but clearly still alive.

“Dane!” Marko shouted his name out, all the while Cece took a few steps back, still shooting arrows at the bug monster to the point where it looks like a pincushion. It looks as ridiculous as it is horrifying.

“Wha-!?” Dane was snapped out of a trance and looked around, seeing the bug monster getting closer.

“Swing your sword at it!” Marko shouted at him as he himself ran in to attack.

“O-Okay!” Going with the flow he does so as well. Both running at the monster from different directions.

**Slash**

There almost seems to be a momentary pause before the buman collapses, falling down to the ground with its innards spilled out, from the sword slashes and its body hitting the floor with multiple arrows digging further into its body.

“This is horrific…” Dane commented, seeing the corpse. Suddenly the arrows seem to dematerialize, leaving the corpse full of holes where the arrows once occupied. “What the… The heck was that?”

“Good to see you snapped out of it so quickly.” Granje commented on Dane’s performance in that battle. Of course both he and Marko are more occupied with thinking about the bow and arrow.

“What was that?” Dane asked the old lady, pointing and Cece with her bow.

“A unique power of hers. Don’t think too much about it.” She explained plainly and left it at that.

“Unique… power?” Marko repeated, sounding somewhat puzzled. “(What about my own?)”

“Indeed. They are very rare but do exist, powers that are completely outside even the extraordinary.” Granje explained. “Well it’s not something we should ponder on too much, we should continue this little trip of ours.”

As much as the two wanted to asked further, seeing how uncomfortable Cece is and the insistence of the one holding the authority makes them relents, and continue their training in the woods until near sunset where everyone went home, with promise of this kind of training again, and soon enough the two boys will be of age to leave this small settlement and reach new heights.

“(Powers huh… Maybe one day I can get a special power of my own…)”

1