Chapter 7: Funny Footsteps
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Bet this place is gonna be awesome!” Dane said excitedly, much to Marko’s chagrin, not that it’s something he hasn’t anticipated.

“Yes I know it’s gonna be. The nearby town already made you excited so this is going to be even more so.” Marko said flatly. “(About what I expected. Not having much hope for it myself.)”

They exchange banter as they walk towards their destination, one they have anticipated for months, only to then stop at the lines at the entrance into the capital, as there are many more people who also wish to enter.

“Oh come on!” Dane complained immediately, to no one’s surprise, making exaggerated pose to Marko’s slight amusement.

“It’s the damn capital, course’ there’s tons of people.” Marko snarked back as he stayed patient seeing the situation. It wasn’t that long of a line anyway.

While Marko stays still for the most part, Dane starts walking in place, spinning, tapping his foot, whatever to stimulate the wait a bit. While some took notice of the impatient young man, they decided to not comment on it much to Marko’s relief.

A wait that Dane feels is too long and one Marko doesn’t care for soon comes to an end as they are at the entrance, where inspection occurred.

“You two! Present your identification card!” A guard stationed at the entrance said, to which the two gave them their adventurer card, one of the easier ways to procure identification if one is a reliable fighter. The guard examined the cards while the others took a quick glance at the two to make sure they’re not hiding anything. “Hmm… Two Bronze-ranked adventurers. You may pass.”

With that the two make their way into the capital, though it is still quite a long road ahead for one reason.

“Say, Marko. Isn’t this capital kinda super big?” Dane asked, seeing that the border almost seemed endless as they traveled closer and closer.

“It does seem more like an entire country than just a city.” Marko replied.

“What’s a country?” Dane innocently asked.

“Ah… Nevermind.” Marko noticed his slip up and just hastily asked his friend to forget what he said. “(Now that I think about it, are there any other nations or kingdoms outside of this one? There should be, but I never heard anyone really talking about it…)”

As they continued their walk they already noticed a few things different from the outside.

First is the well-kept road that leads further into the inner city, unlike the crude paths that are everywhere outside. It seems to keep everything interconnected.

Then there’s how the structure of the capital seems to change the further they go in. At first it’s almost like the rurals towns and villages with houses that are placed and constructed almost randomly, filled with farmlands, and lacking in services like inns and shops. Dane remarked on this internally. “(Remind me of home. Just houses and people, doing things to get by, and that’s about it.)”

However as they walked closer to the center of the capital, it’s almost like a completely different place. Marko saw this and thought. “(It’s like night and day. It’s also about what I expect, buildings are more organized, a lot of exotic shops… It’s certainly a weird capital…)”

“Hey Marko. Know what that is?” Dane asked as he pointed at an area at the side of the road with a long bench with a roof overhead, a few people waiting at it. There’s also a large sign showing a symbol of a carriage as well as one showing a map.

“(Weird… It kinda look like a bus stop almost…)” Marko thought before thinking of what to say to his partner. “Ahem. It looks like a place to wait to hitch a ride on a carriage, but that’s just a guess.”

“Huh. So that’s what the carriages with tons of rows were… Wait, so we could’ve just hitch it instead of walking this whole time!? My legs were getting numb!” Dane replied before panicking. They were walking for over an hour at this point without bothering to take note of anything peculiar, just what they could tell at a glance.

“To be fair… Neither of us really know about this… Probably should’ve asked a guide or something.” Marko responded with slight regret over this blunder. It’s been months and they have been so focused on requests and training that they didn’t inquire anything about the capital. “Well what’s done is done, let’s just go find the guild building or something…”

“Haaah… Sure. Let’s go ask about that later too, would be real nice to not have to walk all the time for once.” Dane replied, resigning to the mistake they made and moving on.

They moved further into the capital as they saw more exotic shops that reminded Marko of his past, making him feel a bit uneasy. “(Some of these shit are more modern stuff isn’t it?)”

“I wanna try new foods… And see all the weird new stuff, can we do that now?” Dane muttered seeing the food stalls on the side of the road, along with shops that he had never seen before. Talking like an overexcited kid at a themepark.

“We can do that later… Let’s find a place to lounge first at least.” Marko responded, shaking his head as he tried to ignore any similarities to the modern world in the fantasy land.

“Sure? Guess we could do that.” Dane replied, puzzled at his friend’s strange reaction but goes along with it anyway as he looks rather distressed.

Soon enough they came across a familiar logo of a guild building, noticeably larger than those of the nearby town.

“What the heck is this, a hotel?” Marko noted. Compared to the humble establishment in the town surrounding the capital, this one almost seems a bit fancy for a place no doubt filled with working classes. There are clearly multiple floors to this building, while guild on the countryside have three floors at most.

“Looks like it can house like… Umm… A bunch of people.” Dane said really and very eloquently.

“Beautiful words Dane. Let’s just go inside.” Marko sarcastically said. Walking inside certainly gave a familiar feel to that of the other guild establishment, something more familiar to his impressions of a world of fantasy. “Now then… What to do…”

“Hey mister staff! This is the first time we’re here, how different is this place to out there!” Dane suddenly called out to a guild staff before Marko could even think of a plan. Feeling slightly embarrassed at his friend’s bold approach.

“Oh? May I assume you two are both adventurers then?” The man politely responded despite the suddenness, which is followed by Dane showing his and Marko’s cards, yoinking it out of his pocket before he could even say anything. “Two Bronze, and in just a few months. Impressive, but you’re not here to fish for compliments. Ahem. The guild here works just like the guild outside of the capital itself, but there is one key difference that you can see over there.”

He then pointed at a counter that has a special designation on it. “That’s where you can rent a room. Adventurers don’t always live in one place so the capital’s guild took account of that.”

“So it is a hotel…” Marko muttered, while Dane looked quite happy at the information.

“Awesome! Guess this is where we’ll be staying for a long while.” Dane said with a smile. “Cause’ we’ll be doing lots of crazy stuff here. Right, Marko?”

“Sure we will. By the way, can we ask a few more questions?” Marko replied then began inquiring more about the capital, it will take a while.

 

With all those inquiries taken care of, they go back to dealing with requests, along with touring the capital city along the way. With Dane going around and asking about stuff while Marko have to either reign him in or clarify something for him.

 

“What is this… brick chicken…” Dane said, confused at the food item Marko gave them.

“It’s fried chicken you dolt. Just try it would you?” Marko said as he bit into it. It doesn’t feel quite like back in his old life, but definitely close and still tasty. “(How the fuck did they discover and make this like, at least a thousand years earlier.)”

“Itspteryrgoud!” Dane said despite having his mouth full.

 

“Coffee house?” Dane reads the shop’s name and sounds confused, with a logo of a maiden holding a cap.

“(Starfucks making their way even out here?)” Marko incredulously thought.

 

“T-These carriages… Are so freaking shaky!” Dane complained, getting on the public transport for the first time.

“Beats walking all day long I’d say.” Marko said, disinterested.

 

“Jewelry? Why do people get these? What’s a ring gonna do to help?” Dane asked, seeing a dedicated jewelry shop at the center of town, looking out of place compared to more practical stores like the smithy and general shops.

“Just ignore it…” Marko replied, dismissive of his friend’s question.

 

“Ice scream? Sounds scary.” Dane muttered.

“Ice cream. Dane. It’s a dessert.” Marko corrected his friend as he ordered them a scoop each. Paying for the two and getting his curious friend the cold treat.

“Why does a word about a food that’s usually cold sound like something that’s hot anyway?” Dane asked, not exactly expecting a clear answer.

“Desert can be cold, Dane.” Marko answered.

“WHAT!?”

 

“I wonder if Pira would come here.” Dane said randomly as they walked through the street.

“Huh? Why wouldn’t she? And why her in particular?” Marko asked, confused at his friend’s question.

“What? I feel like we got to a good start to our friendship, would be sad to let it go to waste.” Dane replied.

“Always about friendships and bonds with you huh…” Marko snarked back, taking a sip of coffee. “(Is the power of friendship even an actual tangible thing? I doubt it.)”

“Also she’s pretty.” Dane bluntly stated, his face showing just how mesmerized he is by her.

“PFFFFF!!!”

 

“Ohhh~

The Hero of the Red Sun~

Radiance shines bright~

Leaving few left to run~

The unequal who brings fright~

Nothing but fields of blood~

Corpses all left in the mud~

Against the army most mighty yet~

Only she see the sunset~”

“(I thought this was about a hero not a genocidal maniac…)” Marko thought to himself with an uneasy smile hearing a bard’s poem.

“You sure this isn’t supposed to be a villain poem?” Dane asked bluntly.

“Well. A hero in the loosest sense is what I’d call her. If she’s a big bad villain this kingdom will be up in flames that I can guarantee…” The multi-colored hair bard replied, saying all that with a straight face to the two who listened to his work.

“(I don’t even know who he’s talking about…)” Marko remarked to himself.

“(Well if she’s really a villain we’d be dead months ago… And not give me a cool sword!)” Dane said to himself internally.

 

“Haaah…” Marko takes a long sigh as he takes his time in the hot bath. It is even larger and more clean than those from the other town. (Now that I think about it, how do these places work? It’s not a hot spring I’m pretty sure, and I don’t think medieval era had any heating device… thing.)”

“So glad this thing exists in towns…” Dane muttered, not thinking about anything as the worries washed away.

 

“Huh?” Marko let out a stupefied voice as he saw another thing that looked out of place.

“Camera?” Dane reads out the word of the product. They had entered a fancy looking shop not too far from the guild building. “10 gold coins!? The heck does this thing do to cost this much!?”

 

“These bandits again…” Marko complained as he saw Dane and himself between multiple bandits, and he can tell from the insignia on them that these are from the same group that attacked them the first time. “How did these bastards even sneak into the capital?”

“Hahaha! That’s all you care about!?” One of them boastfully replied.

“Heh. Like we’re in any real danger. Dane!” Marko snarked back before signaling to his friend. “Make sure they don’t-“

“Right!” Dane replied before Marko even finished his sentence to his exasperation.

*Dash*

They ran in seeing the bandits’ hubris. Catching them off-guard and immediately attacking them.

*Clang* *Slash*

Both started off by disarming those they ran into first, slashing their arms and swiping their weapons from their grip. Those who retaliated seeing their comrades in crime being disarmed as effectively sucker punches were met with quick counters by the two, dodging or parrying the incoming attacks with superior strength and speed. Compared to their first bout with these miscreants, they are stronger and much more willing to endure the blood and gore that might occur.

“Fuuu… Wait, that one is going to-!” They dealt with the bandits that came after them in quick fashion, but some slipped from their sight and set their sight on their intended victim.

*Parry* *Slash*

“Hah! Like I’m some stupid damsel!” She boastfully said as she knocked down the two remaining bandits. Taking them off-guard as they didn’t expect her to be even half-decent at fighting. “Ah… Ahem… I must express my gratitude to you two, thank you for coming to my aid.”

“I-It’s nothing.” Marko replied, sounding somewhat flustered.

A long and well-kept platinum blond hair, fancy armor, dress, and jewelry, as well as a childish expression. Looking about the same age as the duo yet sticking out like a sore thumb when comparing their gear, Dane’s sword notwithstanding the duo’s gears were much more modest and practical in appearance.

“I see… Ah! If you’re so kind, can you bring me to a guild building?” Before she commented on his humble response she wanted to ask them something first.

“We can bring you there if you want… We’re not exactly busy, right Dane?” Marko responded first.

“Yeah, just having a stroll at most today.” Dane replied casually.

“Perfect! Then please bring me there if you so please. It’s been forever trying to find it!” She said, making demands that the two just go along with it.

“(Then why did she come so far out? I know the guild building is close to the outer city area but this is way too far out.)” Marko thought to himself but not actually thinking to criticize her. “Will do.”

The three then have to head back into the inner city, backtracking to the girl’s confusion, not actually realizing that she went past the guild building a while ago and ended up in a less secure area.

“So why are you going there?” Dane asks as he and Marko lead her to the guild.

“Hm? To be an adventurer of course.” She answered like it’s the most obvious thing. While neither would doubt her ability to defend herself, she seems a tad too absent-minded for a potentially dangerous job.

“...Alright then. I do hope you know how dangerous it can be.” Marko noted, concerned for the girl’s safety.

“Well I suppose something like that could happen. Why don’t you come to my aid then?” She responded, sounding rather nonchalant.

“Huh!? I mean I don’t have others to keep occupied but…” Marko replied, sounding rather confused before turning to look at Dane.

“More the merrier ain’t it? Besides, we can't always be together all the time. Just ask me beforehand and it’ll be fine.” Dane said, able to understand Marko’s issue.

“Great! I was hoping someone would be so kind as to show me the ropes!” She said, flashing a smile. Which while doesn’t phase Dane does make Marko feel a bit uneasy.

“(Hope she’s not a demanding mistress.)” Marko thought to himself.

“(Never seen Marko so eager to help someone before… Good for him.)” Dane thinks to himself looking at his friend’s somewhat nervous face. “(Seems like he’s nervous to not screw it up.)”

“(Feels like I accidentally agree to something without meaning to…)” Marko thought as he felt a bit more uneasy with the two staring at him.

After a bit of a long walk they finally reached a capital guild building, going inside and seeing the girl approaching the receptionist and began applying.

“Hmm…” Marko felt a bit uneasy seeing her fumbling about talking to the receptionist who seemed puzzled at her intention to become an adventurer, with many adventurers in the building also looking at her with confusion.

“I think she’ll be fine with you around.” Dane said, trying to encourage his friend’s worries.

“I hope so… But this first part is all her pretty much.” Marko remarked, seeing that neither of them can help this girl out on this entrance exam. “If they’re lenient it’d just be a picking up herbs request or something.”
“Isn’t that just a hoax or something?” Dane commented.

“How the hell should I know? Hopefully whoever is testing her is nowhere near as brutal as her…” Marko responded, looking back on how one-sided their own examination was even though it’s two-on-one.

“Well she’s a bit special so I doubt someone like her is gonna stroll up.” Dane said, trying to ease Marko’s fear. Even if he doesn’t share the worry, he still tries to ease his friend’s.

“Don’t you think you’re jinxing it!?” Marko responded rather aggressively, making Dane a bit taken aback.

“C'mon relax!” Dane said, trying to diffuse his friend’s rather odd mood.

“How barbarish of you two.” The girl who started the whole bickering said as she approached the two.

“Ahem… Sorry.” That was all Marko could muster.

“No matter. I’ll keep you company before my examination finally begins.” She said, dismissing the quarrel between the two and waited patiently.

“(That was embarrassing…)” Marko thought to himself, leaving only silence between the three.

“Excuse me young lady. Your examiner has arrived.” A staff member approached and said to the girl, with a random adventurer by his side as well. “Please follow us to the exam area.”
“Alright then, see you two later.” The girl said before walking off.

“Well now what? Wanna go see how she’s doing?” Dane asked his friend who seems slightly on edge today.

“Ah Dane, it’s nice to see you again.” A familiar voice rings out from the guild’s entrance.

“Pira!” Dane yelled out as he ran to her with a smile on him.

“(He’s like a lovestruck puppy now that I think about it, or just puppy in general.)” Marko thought seeing his friend’s reaction, not really keen on talking to her.

“What’s up with him?” Pira asked, able to tell that Marko isn’t his usual self.

“Oh he’s worried about someone who wanna join here. You’re gonna go see her right?” Dane answered before asking Marko.

“Yeah. So don’t mind me while you two have your reunion.” He said, dismissing the two as he gave them space.

Seeing that the two were in their own world as they continue to converse and leave him alone per his answer, he walked to the examination ground where the girl will partake, so he’s not clouded by the worry of not knowing.

0