Takashi
53 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky was clear with a few clouds strewn about and the sun shone brightly through them. Nevertheless, the weather was not too harsh and the streets were grey, neat, and looked compact and clean as Daiki, Botan, and Asa walked along them. The rows of beech that guarded the back of every house swayed gently in the summer breeze. Kids ran about, buying summer candy from small shops and teenagers hung out near vending machines. 

Passing by a group of teens huddled around a particular vending machine, Daiki noticed it beep loudly before shutting down, indicating a power outage. The three walked up to a traditional-looking house around fifteen blocks from Daiki’s place. 

“Dammit, we were winning! Yamazaki was just about to strike!”

“Yes yes, very sad. Never mind that my manju buns were still in the steamer when the power went out”

“Are manju buns more important than the J League??”

The sounds of a man and woman arguing greeted them at the entrance. Daiki knocked. A pale young guy wearing glasses and a stone face opened the door. Daiki raised his hand in an awkward wave and the door slammed in their faces, immediately. 

“Whoa… what was that all about?” Botan turned to Daiki.

That is who we will be borrowing all the tools from” 

“Yes, we knew that, but why did he just slam the door in our faces?”

Daiki scratched his head, “Hmmm actually I don’t know. Why don’t we ask him?”

He walked up to the door and knocked for a second time, then a third, then a fourth. Before he could knock again, the door opened and the young guy stood in the doorway.

“Jeez what’s your problem Daiki??”

“That’s what I wanna know from you. You got a problem with me, Takashi??”

Takashi sighed and leaned against the door, “Look. If you’re trying to get me to help you with something, I’m unfortunately gonna have to say no”

“Ohhh haha” Daiki laughed nervously “No no. We’re not here to ask for any help”

“We’re not??” Asa and Botan exchanged looks. 

“Nope. I told you guys. We’re here to see Takashi Ito! My childhood best friend”, Daiki turned to Takashi and spread his arms, “Bring it in dude!”

“Ugh back off man”, Takashi pushed the embrace away and sighed, “Fiiine… come on in”

The four of them walked past Takashi’s living room and entered the kitchen where his mother stood staring at the steamer in frustration. 

“Mom?”

Startled, Mrs. Ito turned towards the group, “Oh! Takashi, you didn’t tell me you’d be bringing friends over!! There’s no power!!”

“Oh I didn’t invite them, they just… invited themselves”

“THANK YOU FOR HAVING US, ITO-SAN!” Botan brought his torso down so fast in a perfect 90 degree bow and almost lost his balance. 

Takashi raised his eyebrows and turned to his mother, “We’ll be in my room”

They went through a narrow hallway that was separated from the kitchen by a giant wine rack. Takashi’s parents were rich. When they were kids, Daiki and Takashi had been best friends. But soon Takashi’s father had to move to the USA for work, so they’d spent their entire high school years in two different countries. When Takashi’s family returned last year, the two had quickly realized that they were no longer compatible. Takashi was intelligent and ambitious and Daiki was, well, simple.

The group entered Takashi’s bedroom which was right next to the staircase on the second floor. 

“Whoaa”, Daiki yelled looking around with awe, “Dude your room's just like it used to be back then! All these Call of Duty posters and stuff”

“Yeah duh, I haven’t been here for like 6 years”

“6 years??”, Asa and Botan asked in unison.

“I was abroad”

Daiki put a hand on Takashi’s shoulder “Yeahh I’ve missed you, man”

“I haven't,” Takashi said coldly.

“Ah, just like old times. Hey, remember how we used to have fun all the time back then?”

“Nope”

“We used to play around the neighborhood and play pranks on everyone”

“Nope. Not me.”

“Remember when we tried to sneak up on your crush that one time…?”

“Urgh just stop, Daiki! What do you want?”

“Oh uhh I didn’t really want anything, but uhh, since you asked… Maybe you can help us with something?”, Daiki grinned.

Takashi sighed and shook his head, “I knew it. I told you that I don’t intend on helping you.”

“But why not?”

“Because! Every time you dragged me along for one of your pranks or games, I was the one who ended up in trouble!”

“What do you mean?? The neighbors all yelled at us both equally.”

“Not the neighbors, Daiki! My parents! Your parents were so chill about the way you were but my parents were so strict and I’d always end up getting scolded or punished!”

Daiki, Asa, and Botan stood frozen as Takashi’s voice got louder. 

“So you see? That’s an extra session of reprimanding than you always got!”

“An extra repri-what now?”

“Reprimanding! Getting scolded. Ugh. What did you want anyway?”

“U-uhhh… some of your dad’s camping gear?” Daiki muttered.

Takashi scoffed loudly and the three jumped. 

“Do you know how expensive that shit is?? The last time we stole some of dad’s stuff for a prank, we broke it and poor old Nagato-san broke her back!”

Asa and Botan looked in disbelief at a very guilty Daiki.

“Hey we didn’t know she was that weak! Also this time, it’s not for a prank”

Takashi narrowed his eyes, “Oh then is it to spy on some innocent unsuspecting victim?”

“No” Daiki sighed and sat down on a nearby chair, “It is to spy on someone, but it’s not what you think”

“Oh? Well what is it then?”

Daiki sighed heavily, “You know the thing with the mountains, with the people going missing?”

“Yeahhh?”

“Well, we were just gonna go up there and figure out who’s doing it”

Takashi's eyes grew wide “What??? You mean- to go up to the mountains?? To- you mean- wait- up there???”

“Yes yes, up to the mountains”

“And you want me to be involved in this???”

“We just want your dad’s camping gear. You’ve told me how he always gets the best stuff for camping”

“OH HELL NO! You’ve gotta be kidding me. Going up there?? During this time?? With my dad’s gear?? Oh, you’ve hit a new level of ridiculousness” Takashi walked over to Daiki and pulled him off the chair “Now get out!”

“Oh dude, come on!!”

“Umm Ito-kun if I may” Botan ran to his best friend’s aid.

“No you may not”

“Wait, just listen”

The two broke off.

“Ito-kun, I get why you’re upset at Daiki. Really, he’s SO selfish and stupid sometimes”

“HEY”, Daiki snapped.

“He just blindly goes into something that feels like fun and most of the time he asks me and Asa to do all the hard work like… coming up with a plan, for instance”, he glared at Daiki, “And most of the time we hate it and most of the time he doesn’t care, BUT…”

Takashi rolled his eyes but Botan continued, “But this particular thing. Going to the mountains and spying on whoever is causing trouble up there, I think that could end up helping everyone, even the police, to figure out how to get rid of this threat. And I promise you that we will bring your gear safely back to you”

“How??”

“Well, uhh, I was a boy scout. I’m kinda used to camping.”

Takashi pushed Botan away and backed off, “Well ‘kinda’ is not good enough. All that stuff is really expensive and I’ve made up my mind about not wanting anything to do with Daiki”

He looked at his old friend who stared back, visibly upset. Botan and Asa exchanged looks of disappointment. 

“I’m sorry” Takashi shrugged, “But I can’t help you, man. You’re gonna have to get your gear somewhere else.”

3