Prologue – Life
247 7 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waaaah! Wahhh!

The cries of a 2 month year old baby barely heard over the heavy downpour that night. The squeak of the old wooden door startles the newborn as it starts to cry louder, panicking the origin of the sound.

”Sh Sh Sh, don’t worry, everything’s okay.” She whispers in a attempt to calm the cries as she picks up the baby and rocks him side to side.

Looking around the building for any relatives of the child but failing to notice due to the lack thereof or from the dark of the night with sound muffled by the pelting of the rain against the old worn out building.

Placing the child back into the box full of blankets and carrying it inside she notices a small piece of paper written and placed on the inside of the six between the blankets and the edges of the box.

“Newt huh? That your name little guy?” She gently poked the tired baby’s cheek, which it was too tired and weak to stop.

Wah!

Trying and failing to escape the pokes of the women who seemed to find great joy out of poking his cheeks.

***

A figure walks through the office-space of a prominent software development company, arriving at a small eating area for employees. Scanning through the people he sees his target.

“Newton can you come with me I need to talk to you.”

The man says, knowing it’s not a question he can decline, Newt follows the man to his personal office.

“Newton, I’ve been getting complaints from your coworkers, who wish to remain anonymous, who have said that you have been working on something unrelated to work on company time.

Not to mention others also feeling uncomfortable around you, especially after what happened a couple weeks ago.”

Newt, knowing where this was going tries to stop the inevitable.

“I understand, I’ll try to interact and be more friendly with the others, they already know the circumstances behind why I got angry.” Newt said with as a sad smile bloomed as he watched his boss.

A sigh echoed throughout the room.

“Newton, I’m letting you go. Please pack you belongings and leave within 2 weeks.”

Newt got up, nodded and left.

He was disappointed, he really tried to make up with the employees he had erupted onto.

After years of constantly rectifying mistakes made by others and telling them how to improve, nothing changed, anger grew day by day but he kept it buried deep down.

Until a certain day, stubbed his toe on the apartment door, got robbed, and then later that day his cohorts decided to massively fuck up on a big project, and who do they come to help, HIM, and who’s fault is it if the project didn’t ready on time or fails, HIM.

Thus what followed was a lot of yelling, crying, and a multi week suspension, until it was suddenly cancelled halfway through as the efficiency of work plummeted and projects started crashing left and right.

While they did get a whole lot more employees, or more accurately, reliable employees, Newt still didn’t think that if he was fired, that they could keep the same or more of the current efficiency rating.

Though why should he care? It’s not his problem anymore.

Walking out of the building with the few belongings he had, Newt decided to walk back to his apartment rather than take the bus.

Checking the time on his phone, he sees it’s 3:45 pm, before he surprisingly gets a call from someone he considers close family, Eris.

“Hey Newt Newton-Pffftt” she breaks into loud laughing, Newt counters.

“Hey Granny Generic as fuck Smith.”

Newt being annoyed as she hadn’t stopped finding it funny for the 5 years he had chosen it.

Newt and Eris grew up in a orphanage, Newt being 23 with Eris was 7 years older than him at 30.

As they reached adulthood the government offers a variety of names they could choose as surnames, Newt, not finding any of them to his liking, chose the one that sounded the most ridiculous, Newt Newton, though he regrets it and prefers being called just Newt.

On the other hand is Eris, who picked the most generic name surname unintentionally, this wasn’t found out until later when Eris and Newt got more familiar with the internet and pop culture in general.

“Someone’s feisty~”

“We’ll if someone didn’t keep calling me a certain name for 5 years straight then maybe I wouldn’t be mad.”

”Pfft, yeah right, let’s be real, did you get fired?”

Newt flinched.

”U-Uh no.”

“Pay up mother fucker.”

Newt internally cried as he transferred $150.

“I’m never going to make bets with you again!”

“You say that like you have a choice?”

Bickering as sibling do, something catches Newt’s attention, a fast moving truck barrels down the high traffic street.

Someone’s getting a ticket today, Newt mutters as the truck drastically passes the speed limit.

Turning around to move away in case of an accident, he hears a loud crash behind him.

He sees the truck has crashed into one of the cars, launching the car towards a side walk, with children crossing it.

Oh fuck, Newts brain kicking into overdrive thinks through every action.

With the car travelling around 50 km/h the children will without a doubt die if hit, an adult may live however.

“FUCK IT!!!” He screams as he runs full speed towards the nearby children, dropping his phone and the confused Eris.

Shoving the children off the highway, as far away as possi-!!!

The car collided with the side of his body, shock kicks in, however still conscious, he notes still alive huh?

Looking over he sees the children safe with no injuries and an adult with matching school uniforms calling, he hoped, was the ambulance.

Drip Drip Drip

Gas Fumes that were escaping the shattered gas container enter Newt's Lungs who promptly erupted into a fit of coughs, sadly this was the least of his concerns as the fuel tank that had blasted open threw out a sea of Gasoline, covering him entirely before a chunk of the hood of the car landed onto him

Including, to Newt himself.

Newt however, had fallen into a semi conscious state, not quite aware of what was happening or the passage of time. All he knew was that he could see blurred flashing blue and red lights coming towards him. Ah they're nearly here.

Unbeknownst to Newt, the closest hospital was a nearly 90 minute drive, he his awareness of time was faltering.

Vision blurring, Newt's eyes were straining to stay open, to register what was happening.

The pain from the crash and chemical burns were bad but were enough for Newt to grab a hold of to stay conscious.

The pain he had experienced from the car hit was bad, but once the initial collision was over, just the intense injuries were left, which still caused excruciating pain but was still barely bearable, the chemical burns from the gasoline entering his wounds were also bad but once again tolerable. 

The weight of the hood pressed down on him was gradually lifting and finally, removed.

"Hey are you okay kid?" A kind middle aged man came over, Newt seeing this tries to move his head down to nod but grimaces as a pain in his neck erupts and he decides against it.

Removing the Car's hood from off of Newt, he dropped the hood just next to Newt... And right next to where the Fuel tank had been.

Sparks flew, and the recently evaporated gasoline, now Gasoline Fumes, light up.

Newt;s body getting set on fire, admittedly a decent amount of the Gasoline Fumes hadn't lingered, but Newt's body and clothes that had been drenched in Liquid Gasoline, and the only recently evaporated fumes caused a deadly combination.

Not only was he bleeding with major internal organs, minor whiplash, cuts and more, but the fumes that had been stuck in his lungs reacted to the sudden increase in temperature and embers of fire from his body.

His lungs fill get set on fire and smoke bursts out his lungs, becoming filled with flames and smog.

Newt felt the fire spread all over his body, evaporating the blood that spilt from his wounds and suffocating from lack of oxygen, his badly wounded body that was barely holding on was pushed past its limit.

His screaming stopping as his vocal cords had been to a crisp and the air required to do so was used as fuel for the flames inside his lungs.

Everyone watching horrified at the scene of a hero who had saved children from certain death, was getting punished for his just deeds.

Luckily Newt was no longer conscious, his mental endurance, pain tolerance and most importantly lack of oxygen burning out long before fully blacking out.

For the last time in his life.

 

 

0