Ch.1
366 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sisters Ruby & Yang Xiao Long sat next to one another in the library. The younger, Ruby, played with her red hoodie string between reading the same paragraph again and again.

Yang wasn't too much better. Her left hand twiddled with a lock of her golden hair, waiting for the person across the table to speak up.

Across from them were a patient Pyrrha Nikos and a determined Jaune Arc with his nose in their trigonometry textbook. He read the paragraph again, not focusing on anything else. After having hyper-fixated on this one single paragraph for a solid ten minutes, he told his friends what he had to contribute to the study group.

"I don't understand a darn thing."

"Come on Jaune." Pyrrha said, "The test is Friday. You've got to have absorbed something."

"It's not clicking," he groaned. He held his head back over the back of the chair in frustration, "I suck at studying."

Yang, who was missing her favorite show, "Yeah, you really do."

"Yang." Ruby called, "Don't be rude." The other inhabitants of the library shushed the girl. "Sorry."

"Trust me Jaune. Just, think about how you're analyzing the information." Pyrrha scooted next to the man. She took one half of the book and asked, "When you look at this formula, what do you think of?"

"Nothing really comes to mind," Jaune admitted. "It's like I read it but it won't sink in as I'm looking at it."

"I think you're the type who needs to put into practice what you're studying," Pyrrha said. "Here, let's apply this one."

Yang tugged on Ruby's hoodie and motioned her head toward the door. Ruby only raised a brow unsure as to why they would need to leave. Ruby understood the work, but their friend still needed a little help. Another glance showed Nikos shoulder-to-shoulder with Arc. She was smiling and he was focused.

The two didn't even notice the sisters leaving.

 

-A Few Minutes Later-

 

"So, what do ya wanna do?" Yang asked.

The two started walking toward the dorms. Or at least the pathway that would later branch off to their separate buildings. Yang with her one arm swaying and her bionic hand in her bomber jacket pocket. Ruby with both of her hands in her hoodie pouch.

"Well, I was just going to study," Ruby answered, faking disappointment. "But now I guess I'll go to my dorm and hang out with my girlfriend."

"You're boring." she joked.

Ruby nudged her sister. Not by much given the size difference.

"Go home! You're boring!"

Yang pushed up invisible glasses and spoke with a pretentious tone.

"Well actually, the proper term is 'go home, you're drunk'."

"I'm too young for that!" Ruby laughed. Playfully pushing her sister once again. Again, Yang barely moved.

"Dork," Yang nudged back. Ruby had to twirl her arms to keep her balance.

"I'm not about to get arrested for drinking."

"You are such a freshman! I'm sure Blake or I could get you some good stuff. At least you start you out."

Ruby eyed Yang for a moment. She had moved a strand of hair out of her face first, but she gave an uncertain look.

"You do know Blake doesn't drink."

"So I'll get you something." Yang tested.

Ruby stammered, "I-I don't wanna drink either."

Happily, "Fine then. More for me!" Yang was surprisingly proud of her little sister's answer. She proceeded to pat the freshman's head like a puppy. It was only when the red dyed streaks reflected in Yang's metal hand did she realize it'd be safer to do so with her other hand.

"Quit being weird." Ruby pulled her hood up as a blockade. "I'm going to watch some anime. Later Yang." She began to walk toward her building when her sister called.

"You gonna 'Netflix and chill' with Blake?" Ruby blushed at Yang's toothy grin following the accusation.

Ruby offered, "At least I have someone to 'Netflix and chill' with!" She then stuck her tongue out and stormed off.

Yang could only chuckle heading to her dorm.

 

-Girl’s Dorm-

 

Third floor, the sixth door on the right. That was always what Yang told anyone who asked where her dorm was. This was relevant to the current situation as well. Why? Well, sitting on her bed watching something on a tablet as if it was no big deal was the university's resident 'princess'.

"Yo Weiss!" Yang called.

The sophomore took an earbud out, "Evening. I made some tea if you want some." The plugin stove-eye sitting on the TV tray kept the kettle warm.

"Thanks," Yang said getting a cup. "You look pretty comfortable on my bed there."

Weiss' platinum blonde hair was tied up in a bun. She was in jeans and a white blouse, sitting upright and against the wall. It was as if she wanted to take up as little space on the bed as possible. Easy, since she was only a few inches taller than Ruby.

"Blake's at my dorm eagerly waiting for Ruby. So I came here."

Yang's eyes widened a little but tried to hide it.

"Oh? Did she say what for?"

Weiss was clearly annoyed, "No. But they've been hanging out a lot. And every time I'm around, they treat me like some third wheel!" The earbud went back in. "It's so rude!"

Yang nonchalantly sipped her tea.

"Yeah, I can see where you're coming from." she plopped onto the unused bed, "Whatcha watching?"

"An anime," Weiss answered.

"Ohh~! What anime?" Yang pestered.

Weiss sighed, "It's called 'Full Metal Alchemist'."

"I've heard of that one." Yang continued, "What's it about?"

Weiss began, "Two brothers use alchemy to fight artificial humans and try to get their bodies back after one loses his body and the other loses an arm and leg." The girl tensed up realizing who she just explained this to. Her eyes inadvertently focused on Yang's artificial arm. "Uh."

"Sounds cool." Yang replied, "Are the boys cute?"

"One's a short blonde with a temper."

"Sounds familiar." Yang started moving to her side. Her palm acted as a rest for her head.

"And the other is a walking suit of armor." Weiss finished.

Yang looked at her blankly, "...Explain."

 

-2 hours later-

 

The girls lay next to one another with two cups of tea close at hand. They're a season in on an anime they're watching on a tablet propped against the bedframe.

It was late at night but neither were tired. Weiss was watching the series for the third time. Yang was biting her lip awaiting the conclusion of the fight scene.

"Do you mind if I spend the night?" Weiss asked.

It'd be too dangerous to walk home at midnight. Also, Blake hadn't returned yet. Meaning that Weiss' bed was occupied. Which it was. But not for the reason Weiss most likely thought.

Yang's response was a little rushed due to her worry of 'Ed Elric's survival fighting the 'Ultimate Shield'.

"Yeah sure. You can move in. Don't use my toothbrush. Now hush!"

Weiss's first instinct was to correct her. Or at least confirm that she knew what had just been said. But it was washed away by Xiao-Long's reaction to the fight scene's climax.

"AHHH! YES! Whoo-Hoo!"

"Ow! That's my ear!"

"Sorry!"

END

7