Foul Means, Part 1
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Holding up with a gryphon was a lot more arduous than anticipated. I sucked in deep breaths, the heat of the sun searing my lungs as my heart rate escalated beyond its regular measure. The sweat drenched my hair and bloodied clothes, plastering them to my back. My overstrained muscles were in excruciating pain. I wished everything would end, that I could close my eyes and never wake up. That would be far more convenient. Stop. Give up. Run as far away as possible. The logical answer appeared to be so simple.

I blinked, and the message flashed on my retina. Those acrid words reinvigorated me enough to push further past my boundaries. Shaking my head, Melody's silhouette descended right through the frame of a window on the topmost floor of a construction site.

My surroundings altered, dried blood left on fissured verdant buildings after all these years. No seasoned mercenary or adept scavenger dared to come here—a death zone. I've arrived in the Central Plaza of the 4th District.

Not having a clue about how I was supposed to get in and rescue them from a mercenary clad in sleek mana-filled augments and an actual hunter, I opted for a reckless alternative. Distraction. Mayhem. With a grunt, I busted a car's window. I poured everything I had, all my wrath and disastrous memories, into that hit. The deafening alarm didn't even register in my ears, nor did the cracking glass as I watched them stroll out of the gray forgotten structure, tracing the sounds with utter anxiety and observing me back. The entire world came to a halt for a split second. I glared at him with silent resentment. Ryan, a hunter, the shithead who knew what'll happen if we proceeded further.

One of us must die. It's either him, or me. Nothing in between.

Their uncertainty spurred my delirious smile. "You never expected me to survive," I scoffed and bashed another vehicle. Looking back, Aaron, the augmented mercenary, was closing in with quick moves that even elite athletes couldn't equal.

"Are you insane?!" he exclaimed, his voice carrying all the way here. Something in his tone, possibly panic, appealed to me. Hell, I loved the suspense in his timbre. "All of those fucking monsters will rush here now!"

That is the plan.

"Yes," I spat out, a smirk that couldn't reach the eyes flourishing on my flimsy face like nature through the cement jungle around us. "The more, the merrier!"

Hurry up, you filthy creatures. I'll stall till hordes of goblins infest Central Plaza. Those hyena-like bastards will pursue you until you reach the Gates and beyond! Let's see how you'll survive that!

"Aaron," Ryan called. "Come back!"

"Not until I kill this prick!"

"How about you go fuck yourself first?" I extended my middle finger.

"You—" Aaron hissed.

Adrenaline coursed through my veins as metallic pounds shattered the street, leaving small craters in their wake. I went through the narrow gap between vehicles as fast as humanely possible, but the mercenary was beyond that. An arm wrapped in black steel reached out toward me, azure tubes protruding beneath his cloak. I whirled around and took a reckless swipe with Mara's saber. Sparks flew everywhere. The blade remained trapped as liquified mana poured from the conduit and down his tar gauntlet.

"Piece of shit"—Aaron gnashed his teeth, lifting the other functioning limb to his bicep as he yanked the weapon—"I'll reap you apart."

I twisted my torso to the side, squeezing between two trucks. The other fist came rushing at me with enough force to blow my head off my shoulders, bending the container as it collided. I kept advancing, unable to take my sight away from the devastating strike. "Stop running, fucking rat," he yelled.

Thuds boomed on the cargo as I slipped from danger like a vicious snake. A shadow towered over me, devouring my whole being. Fear ran down my spine as my eyes shook. Death was coming. I thrust my body forward, rolling on the ground as dust particles radiated from the spot where his fist landed. I tumbled, attempting to gain some distance.

Aaron savored the moment, a wicked smirk forming across the corner of his mouth. "You're done."

"I doubt that," I retorted. "Behind."

"As if I'd ever fall for something like that—"

Announcing its grand presence, a surrealistic roar vibrated throughout the entire district. No, through the whole world. Its greenish jugular rattled with the raw ferocity of its might. My nemesis trailed after me, as I hoped it would. If it's this monster, I knew it in my bones, I'll be able to butcher these ravenous fuckers.

Diggins its sharp claws into the container, it propelled itself towards him. Aaron's eyelids sprang open as he struggled to elevate his blade, his face pallid as a ghost's. The anomaly slammed into him, pushing him down and grabbing him by the shoulders. Panic swept through him. A part of me liked seeing him wriggle.

"Shit," sobbed the mercenary. "L-let go of me!"

The immense monster leaned closer to its prey, revealing a pair of shark-like fangs, drool dripping on top of Aaron's cheek. As the nerves between the augmentations and his beefy torso were torn apart in its unyielding grip, the mercenary let out a shriek of misery. He looked at me with, the one he wanted to kill a couple of seconds ago, and implored. "P-please"—the beast dragged on his demise—"help," Aaron tried to say.

After hearing the mortifying splash, I involuntarily clenched my eyes tight. I was back in the building where Mara resided when the daylight almost reached us. She returned my gaze and spoke something. I couldn't make out the words. When I opened my eyes, blood poured everywhere like a stream. Aaron's corpse jolted, his features no longer recognizable. The colossal goblin rose on its slender ankles, a crimson grin smeared on its face.

The following prey on his list was none other than me.

2