I Am Not a Good Person (2)
816 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rosemary had heard the same speech several times. Logic should have told her that a blacksmith like her grandfather shouldn't know the first thing about contracting Spirit Beasts, but her mind had long since been clouded with trust. She had been doing everything her grandfather told her to since she was a little girl, why would she change things now?

"Scurry on out of here, little girl. I can tell you're antsy to get to something."

"Ah! Yes!" Rosemary blushed again, turning to dart away.

"Also don't neglect to train your body like I told you. The Quota Check is coming up, if you want a chance to see the world, this will be it."

Even as her grandfather's voice became fainter, Rosemary, who had already heard these exact words before, somehow felt that there was a hidden meaning behind it this time. When she connected the dots, she couldn't help but blush again.

When she rushed out of the shop, though, she found what felt like a different world. Ryker standing over Sofia, the latter's face flushed and her breathing labored. They weren't even touching, and there shouldn't have been anything suggestive about their current position, but Rosemary felt her heart sink for some inexplicable reason as though it should be her and not Sofia standing beneath his shadow.

Ryker looked over and smile when he noticed her, not even a tinge of awkwardness in his movements. Sofia, however, took a subconscious step back, guilt written all over her face.

"… Were you two fighting again?" Rosemary squeezed out a smile. "You shouldn't do that so much, you know. I'm sure you could grow to like each other."

"Fighting?" Ryker chuckled. "No, I was just telling Sofia about my fiancée. She was surprised that I had one because I frequent gentlemen's establishments, so I told her she could replace them if she hated me doing so, so much."

"You… You…" Sofia pointed a finger at Ryker's nose.

Didn't this man understand tact? That less was more? Or at least have some sympathy for a poor girl's heart?

Ryker seemed to have no concept of what he had done. Even while Rosemary, her lip trembling somewhat and her forced smile twisting into something that shouldn't have been on a young woman's face.

Feeling as though her nose was being assaulted by harsh spices and like her heart would beat out of her chest, Rosemary didn't consider her actions before she dashed away, her speed beyond what her small body should have been capable of.

"Rosey! Dammit! You—! I'll deal with you later!"

Sofia ran after Rosemary, leaving the harshest words she could for Ryker who simply let her speak her peace.

Ryker watched the two disappear into the crowd of people, ignoring the speculative and judging looks he was receiving.

"I guess that means so meal for today. Being too handsome is really a problem."

Ryker slicked his hair back, running his fingers through its smoothness. There was a faint touch of sweat, but it didn't mar the subtle and refreshing scent it gave off.

Ryker's expression lost its small, a detached cold pervading it.

"Take a step inside, kid."

The voice cut through the bustle of the street without much difficulty. It made one feel as though it was right nearby from the very beginning. Ryker has always felt that the old man had never really left. So, he picked up his large wooden box and obliged.

"You couldn't have picked a more delicate approach?"

Ryker yawned. "It's too hot in here, old man. It can't be good for your health. Ever thought of retirement?"

"Don't get cheeky with me," the old man said with a snort.

Ryker swept a casual gaze around at the shop. It was clear that Bowan didn't work on as many projects as he likely used to, but he was still active. Ryker could also tell he liked to take his time. The current sword he was working on had to have been being worked for at least two months.

"I'm not a good person, gramps."

Ryker spoke after a long moment of silence, balancing the unfinished sword in his palm. Even in its current state, the sword was quite exquisite. It had a layering of steel and copper damascus, and a balance that felt heavenly. It was the kind of craftmanship that made Ryker question why the old man was still working on it.

"Usually, people who say that are the exact opposite."

Ryker spun the sword in his hand, catching it on its incomplete hilt once again before pointing it toward Bowan.

"Maybe that's true, but there's an exception to every rule. If it benefited me, I wouldn't mind killing you right now."

Bowan's eyes narrowed. Though he didn't move, his body relaxed instead of tensed. It was the kind of movement one would only expect from a man with almost too much experience in such things. And yet, Ryker remained unmoved.

"If you meant that, wouldn't your best choice be to use my granddaughter to get closer to me? Then take what you need? Wouldn't that be easier than targeting someone clearly more powerful than you are?"

"Ah, you misunderstand," Ryker chuckled, "I'm not a good person. But, I also hate to lie. My mother taught me well, after all.

"You see, I tell my fiancée all the time that I only have one goal in life, and that's to stand on top of this world. What kind of ruler of all have you ever seen to have just one woman?"

The sword tip trembled before gliding in an elegant arc. It had yet to be sharpened, but it still left a satisfying sound in the air. One could almost see the heavy moisture that hung about separating and coming back together.

"She's a nice girl too. Nicer than your granddaughter, though I'm a bit biased. I've known her since I was a child and we grew up together, in fact I've been betrothed to her since I was born."

"Why are you telling me all this, brat?"

"I'm just trying to paint a picture," Ryker shrugged, "I thought you had patience after seeing your sword, old man. But it seems that you're quite eager when you want to be, hm?"

Despite his words, Ryker didn't seem to mind the interruption much. His smile had returned, though he had forgotten to carry it forward to his eyes. The darkness of the furnace room and the flickering shadows danced across his face, turning his handsome features into a sinister painting most had never seen before.

"Her name is Jaana, if you were interested. Pretty… No, gorgeous. Probably nothing like you've seen before. She's a bit prickly, but I think that's mostly my fault. She has to be like that to deal with a smart mouth like mine. Oh, and her cooking is immaculate. Her baking? Even better.

"Most would say I don't deserve her. Even I say that a lot of the time. You would probably say that too. But the reasons you would have would probably be because I'm an asshole, that I'm insensitive, that I'm a shit stain, blight on humanity."

Ryker's smile faded, his lips pressing into a gentle thin line.

20