Only the Beginning (2)
688 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Spirit creatures one contracts are very important. Humans are unable to cultivate by themselves, their bodies are too weak. Luckily, their Ancestors learned that while humans might have weak bodies, they had strong souls and minds. Using Spirit Beasts and Mystical Treasures as proxies, one was able to expand their pool of Spirit Energy and reach greater heights.

There was a limiting factor to all of this, though. The amount of Spirit Energy one could consume was decided by your contracted beasts and treasures.

By now, the problem Ryker had faced was clear. He had all this talent, but it was bottlenecked by his own contracted Mystery Treasure. Where as by now he should be very well along his Enlightenment Stages, he had been stuck at the 1st Enlightenment Realm for 18 whole years.

One would think that this matter would be simple to fix. Just terminate the contract and everything would be fine.

For years, Ryker's family had been trying to convince him to do the same thing. The trouble was the price that would need to be paid.

With 9th Circle Talent, one had the most perfect and pure soul. An 8th Circle Talent from a prestigious family might be able to get away with terminating a contract, especially if it was caught early. However, Ryker had been far too young to endure the impact back then. And, once he was old enough to, he refused for one simple reason: He would lose his pure soul and thus his 9th Circle Talent.

This was the price he had paid for perfection. He had labored for 18 years, pulling himself closer and closer to the 2nd Enlightenment Realm all so that he could finally contract his second Spirit Partner and raise his cultivation speed to something more befitting of his talent.

All along the way, he met roadblock after roadblock, all of which was thrown at him by this damned mirror he used to love so much as a kid.

Ryker's grin faded into a satisfied sigh.

'Now I've accumulated enough Spirit Energy and have entered the 2nd Enlightenment Stage. I also finally manage to form the mirror's Spirit and gave it life. I've finally done it. Just wait, I'll find my way back soon.'

Ryker finally had the strength to push himself up. He beckoned the small mirror to him, having it land in his hands. Though it looked no different, he couldn't help but smile despite the fact he was looking at his own dark reflection.

There was a subtle and faint glow the mirror was giving off. Ryker could tell that this was a sign of Spirituality. The small mirror had finally birthed its own consciousness and could formulate its own simple thoughts.

This was important for more than just connection between it and Ryker. If Ryker wanted to achieve his goal, every one of his Spirit Contracts had to be to a powerful existence. However, there was nothing powerful about a mirror.

There was hope, though. Compared to Spirit Beasts, it was easier to improve Mystical Treasures. Ryker had to take his time to strengthen the small mirror and raise it up to be an existence on par with his goals and aspirations. In order to do this, it was mandatory that the small mirror birth its own Spirit, only in this way would it be able to learn, grow and train just like a human or Spirit Beast would.

Toward this end, Ryker had done everything he could, even spending years studying the Mystery Craftsmen profession so that he could carve out a unique path for himself. All his work with sculptures and watches would build him toward the future he wanted.

Ryker held the small mirror in a palm, digging through the large wooden box. Despite the darkness, he didn't need to fumble around. He knew this box like the back of his hand because it held everything he had in this world.

Soon, he produced several small stones. It was impossible to make them out in the dark, but Ryker could see their appearances vividly in his mind. How many hours had he spent looking at these stones, wondering when he would finally get to use them?

With gentle movements, he placed the stones onto the surface of the mirror.

"Take your time and absorb these."

The small mirror vibrated, seemingly understanding. Ryker knew, though, that what it understood wasn't the language he used, but rather the intention he gave off through their Spirit Connection.

Having done this, Ryker knew that he was fatigued and that he should sleep. The process would take at least a few hours to complete. But, he was far too excited, his heart still pounding out of his chest. If he tried to sleep like this, not only might he fail, but it was possible that he would trigger a second episode.

Knowing himself well, Ryker rummaged through the large wooden box once more. But, this time, he took out a small black container.

The container was longer than it was wide and had the thickness of half a palm. Overall, it wasn't an issue for Ryker to hold it in either one or two hands, yet it had a heft of at least 20 pounds despite its small size.

It was smooth and cool to the touch, having an immaculate finish. No matter how long Ryker held it, it didn't warm up as though it insisted on remaining a temperature just below the surface of his skin.

This container was a special Mystery Treasure designed to hold the eggs of unhatched Spirit Beasts. It kept the eggs in a state of unbirth until a suitable partner could be chosen for it.

When his parents were trying to convince him that perfection wasn't necessary, Ryker had lost count of the number of times they tried to push this Spirit Beast onto him. They said it was powerful, mystical… His poor, stoic father even tried to describe how 'cool' it was at one point.

Ryker ran his hand over the surface of the container. He had never opened it before, so staunch in his opposition, he didn't even want the temptation. Now that he could open it, though, it felt surreal.

Had he really done it?

No.

Ryker shook his head.

This was only the beginning.

With steady fingers, he opened the lid.

23