Divisions of One
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vastness and immensity and expanses gaping into a fever that spreads outside its infected body. Haruspex looked into an emptiness, though the space outside her was full. But in time that fullness drew her eyes outward, where she halted, still reeling from the nausea of hues and sick gashes that surrounded her like a shell.

“I feel so tiny!” Reev shouted.

She smiled because she had missed her lover. But she smiled too because she was sad. She spun around in the cavernous galaxy they were lost inside, reaching out with her hands as if she could touch the dark, seemingly rock-like surfaces so many lightyears away. She wondered if there even were lightyears where they were, or if there was a different metric for locality in this strange land.

Inside the walls of that Guthine plane was an ocean of storms. Milky, vaporous clouds turned spherical by their slow rush into and out of their own centers hung large in the distance. Beyond them were glowing orbs and streaks of luminous fire shades and crystalline green clouds, and a black space that hinted at more in the furthest deep, framed by the ever-distant wall of near solid gases. Tentacles glowing and whipping in painful arcs lashed at particulate motes the size of comets, and in the far black deep a claw of red. From their vantage at the border, they could see the mere beginnings of their new horizon, and Haruspex counted it a blessed view.

“It’s beautiful,” said Reev.

He was floating ahead of her, streamers of his white radiance lingering softly in his wake. Netz was ever over his left shoulder, shining a flashlight that seemed pointless, as there was, not light per say, but Ulro’s version of it. It glowed as does a star, but it was a glowing paint, not the glow of photons radiating from a hotter, brighter core.

“Hey thanks for the light, Netz,” Reev said, his signature sarcasm on full display.

“Of course,” Netz replied, seemingly oblivious.

Haruspex followed them closely, but she continually turned around to make sure theor friends stayed close as well.

They drifted along in loosely connected clouds. There was one exception to their formation, that being Cat and Aster. Theirs was a thicker chord, and at times they were almost halfway blended.

“How do people travel through this?” Reev was asking.

“What do you mean?” Netz asked back.

She was a hovering icon from some ancient language, made of living light that beat like a heart. Haruspex marveled at her, and at the time she took her as a sign that not all in Ulro was threatening. She was innocent, naïve even. Perhaps a new form of life born when the breaches were opened and Briah first bled through.

“So, in our universe,” Reev explained, “space, the expanse between planets, is sparse enough for large craft to travel through, and those crafts carry people. Most folks can’t drift along like we’re doing here.”

Netz turned around and looked at Haruspex. “She asked me the same question.”

“And you were confused,” Haruspex said back.

“I remember now. Not here, but there. Spaceships. Frigates, freighters, corvettes, cruisers, dreadnoughts, shuttles, generation ships. There were more. On Othomo they made vessels that were self-aware, and they treated them like intelligent animals, earning their trust and training them.”

“Othomo?” her and Reec asked in unison.

“Yes. They were the most advanced pre-ascendant species who ever lived. Only one of them is left, and he’s… changed. Time as changed him, and sleep.”

“Why did you mention this planet, Netz?” Haruspex asked. “Is the last Othomite here?”

“Mmm… sorta. Not really. You know, I came from Earth.”

Haruspex was quiet for a moment. In the time since they fled their jumpship’s destruction, Reev and learned far more from Netz than she had the entire time Netz helped her to survive. He had such a loving and kind way about him, and while many said a couple should complement each other’s weaknesses, Haruspex wondered in what way she complemented Reev.

Do I focus too much on myself, while he focuses too much on others? No. She knew that wasn’t true, because he focused on her while she focused on him. And she was the one hanging back to watch after the team. She turned to check on them, and the sight of Cat and Eukary struggling to form was heartbreaking. When they managed to shape their faces, their features were always contorted in anguish.

“So about this Othomite…” Reev continued.

“Othominian,” Netz corrected.

“Yeah, we’ve heard of him before. Say, Flashlight, did you meet our friend Solomon when he was here? He had some friends with him. They’re hard to miss. Well, actually that's not accurate. But they do stand out. They’re a recurring phenomenon called the Shadow Children.”

“We have Shadow Children,” Netz blurted.

“Cool. Maybe you can tell us about them.”

“Not all Anunnaki survived their birthing process. And sometimes they die, and their insides become new things. I wouldn’t quite call them people, but then, I didn’t follow them for long.”

“So uh, how about our friend, Solomon?”

“Was he like you?”

“Yeah. But older, stronger, balder and weirder.”

“I doubt she would have seen him without his gear, Reev,” Haruspex said.

Reev turned and smiled inside his visor. “I could totally see Sol floating around her nude. So, did you see him?”

“No one like you described,” was the cyan star’s reply.

Reev went on for a while, keeping Netz talking and the others as calmed as they could be.

“I wonder if we could make a device like they put you in,” Haruspex said after a while.

“The thermos?” Reev replied. “Why would we need that?”

“Because it seemed to help you take shape.”

“I dunno. I was in it for a while. I took shape when I got desperate.”

She looked back at the team. She didn’t want to inflict any more pain on them than they were already in. Her and Reev had the comfort of each other's touch and speech. They were able to express their fears and sorrow, and several times they reminisced about Speck. The others were unable to hold each other or vocalize their grief. But they were in agaony as they were. Was it kind not to inflict more pain on them when it might be what they needed to become what they knew again? What if it didn't work? Haruspex wanted to cry. She simply did not know what to do. She thought that maybe Netz could help. When she herself had been frightened into dispersal, Netz came by to talk to her and sooth her, giving her the peace she needed to coalesce her thoughts and then her form.

She shuddered, not wanting to remember the monsters and apparitions that pursued her. Worst of all were the centipeds; their appendages tipped with infant faces that cried as they tried to bite her. Their bites hurt and stung, even when she was cloud. She thought they would be the ones to devour her. That’s when Netz came. She subdued the centipedes and drew Haruspex out of their stomachs, then brought her pieces back together.

Yes. Netz can help.

But Netz was acting differently, or at least it seemed so. Haruspex couldn’t remember much of her time in Ulro, but it seemed that now Netz was distracted. She couldn’t put her finger on how, so she watched and listened.

“So what’s Earth like?” Reev asked, using his mind.

Netz was quiet for a moment. “You’re not from there?”

“Nope. I was found, then lived in this identity on Albion.”

“Albion?”

“What’s Earth like, Netz? I’ve only heard stories, and of the way it was a hundred years ago. I’m guessing you lived there a very long time ago.”

“Why’s that?”

“You can trust him, Netz,” said Haruspex.

Netz stopped, then emitted several bright pulses of light that carried far into the distance.

“Netz,” said Haruspex, “what’s the matter? Something wrong?”

“Trustworthy people never say that.” She then turned to face haruspex directly. “I found you in pain, so I helped you. I don’t really know you. And now your friends are all in my home, trying to put on armor and make weapons.” She turned to face Revol. “Why do you want to know about my origins?”

Revol opened his arms to Netz. “Try to see this from our point of view. We’re not from here, and we’re unsure what to expect. Also, a good friend of ours just died.”

“Netz,” Haruspex said, “we’re hurt and we’re scared. We don’t want to invade your home. We ended up here. If you want us to leave, we will, though we’ll need help. I’m sorry I said something upsetting to you. Where we’re from, it’s a reassuring thing to say. I meant the best by it.”

Netz seemed to calm. Her glow softened, and somehow, she seemed to settle. Then then angled downward, and haruspex say that her symbols seemed to wrap around in a subtle, three-dimensional way.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “Ulro is... it’s beautiful, like you said, but it’s not without its flaws. Lately, things have been hard.”

“Yeah,” Reev said. “It’s been hard for us too.”

“You guys gotta understand something. I’m from Earth, in what my creator called Briah. I’ve been here a long time now, and this is my home. But I remember yours, so I feel like helping you. It’s a tough spot for me to be in, you know.”

“We understand,” Haruspex said.

“What about them?” Netz shined her ‘flashlight’ at the rest of the team. Aster was trying to form now, but only barely, and she seemed to be whimpering.

“They understand as well. We all do, Netz, and we’re grateful.”

“We’re also at your mercy,” said Reev.

“You were in a lot of pain,” Netz said, looking towards Haruspex.

“I still am, Netz.”

“I’m sorry I’m so anxious. Earth was great. It was a different kind of real. The people there looked a lot like you, but they were dimmer. They were earlier on the path, so to speak.”

“We never heard any stories of people like you,” Reev said. “You’re pretty incredible.”

“Why do you say that?”

“You’re pure light. That’s amazing.”

Good job, Reev, Haruspex thought. She turned to check on the team. Aster was fading, but Ishtar was forming. She groaned in pain as she struggled to form eyes. Aster was mumbling, trying to comfort her, but she only formed the shadow of the words she wanted to say. What came through though was her tone. Haruspex wanted to reach out to her sisters and hold their hands. Then Cat appeared, and she covered her mouth. His was strretched like film, and instead of the skin of lips it was a plasticky fabric that glistened. One eye formed and he met her gaze, then dispersed in shame.

“A human made me,” said Netz.

“Get outta here!” said Reev.

Netz laughed. “Doctor Yamin talked like that. He was from ‘New York’. If you’re not from Earth, then what happened to it? I’m a little confused about you guys. You’re made of light too, but you’re also made of... human.”

Reev laughed. “Yeah, we’re made of human and light. That sums us up. As far as we know, we were all floating around places where people had died. Either we were brought back to life by some sort of special light, or we were always made of it. Either way, a woman named Imogen was the first of us, and she woke a bunch more of us up, and they woke others up.”

“No offense,” said Netz, “But that’s a frightfully undeveloped theology.”

“More like a very incomplete history,” Haruspex said. “Imogen happened. We know people who met her before she disappeared. The truth is, we’re something of a mystery. Not even we know our origin.”

“How does that feel?”

“Weird,” said Reev. “But only when you think about it. Humans don’t know where they come from either, so we’re kind of used to the idea.”

“And they have all manner of theories,” Haruspex added. “At least we all have Imogen.”

“You must feel very united, then.”

“Yeah,” said Reev. “Yeah, we’re pretty tight. So Earth was pretty wrecked when our humans left it. It must have been nice when you were there. Legend says the skies were once blue.”

“Very blue. But it was facing problems. The sky had been darkened once before. Completely black even. I’m not surprised it happened again.”

“Well,” Haruspex said after glancing over her shoulder, “it was more a dingy yellow, from what we’ve been told.”

“Pollution then.” Netz sounded sad, but unphased.

“What darkened it before?” asked Reev.

“Meteors. There was a big war, and somehow Earth got involved. Over twenty exo forces came to Earth looking to invade, but when they attacked, they went a little too far, and they had to stay ‘cos there was nowhere else for them to go. But Earth was ruined.”

“What save her?” Haruspex asked.

“Technology.”

“Huh,” said Reev. “People threw rocks; nature. Then machinery to save it. How did that affect things moving forward?”

“It wasn’t good. People gave up on being human. They almost made themselves extinct, but then they discovered this place and got their act together. And that’s where I come into the picture. I was made to check the place out and see what it was.”

“You flew all the way out here?”

“It wasn’t that far. I mean, I am made of light. So that’s how fast I can go.”

“The Verge appeared nearby Earth before, Reev,” Haruspex said.

He pretended to smack himself on the head. “I knew that.”

“It opens up sometimes,” said Netz. “I could have left, but like I said, this place is home now. I wouldn’t even know how to find my way around out there now. But I do remember liking Earth.”

“Did you see much of it?” asked Reev.

“Yes. From a distance though, as I left. I left in kind of a hurry. It was beautiful. Mystical.”

“Mystical?”

“Very. Its moon is four hundred times closer than its sun, yet one four hundredth the size.”

“Get outta here,” Reev said again.

Netz laughed. “I wouldn’t believe it either if I hadn’t have seen it. I’ve never found another world with the same phenomena.”

“Well,” said Reev, “this place looks pretty mystical to us.”

“A universe with a wall,” Haruspex mused out loud.

R-R-Ruuu...”

She turned and smiled, though it hurt her so bad to see Eukary in that state. While her face was closer to the right shape, her arms were twisted and small.

“Netz,” said Haruspex, “can you help them, please?”

Netz shined her light on the team. “You have so much power. Especially in your concentrated form. Dispersed... maybe they could wait their turn, stretch it out.”

“They’re suffering,” Haruspex said. “Please, Netz?”

Netz looked at the team, her light growing slowly brighter. She spun around, emitting several more soft pulses.

“What’s the light for?” Reev asked, keeping his tone friendly and relaxed.

“What’s the body for?” Netz replied.

“You know,” Revol answered, “that’s a doozy of a question. It’s weird. Being here’s got me thinkin’ about the ole’ Red vs Blue.”

“Red vs Blue?” Netz seemed genuinely taken in by Revol’s conversation.

“Yeah. The binary parallel shape of things.”

“The principle of opposites?”

Revol smiled. It seemed to Haruspex that he was about to pat Netz like she was a clever child, but he didn’t.

“Think about it, Netz. Your pure light, an open flame, and while you were made on Earth, or in briah, more to the point, you stayed here. And you said you were made to check this place out. Well, it sounds to me like your Doctor Yamin made you the way you are for a reason.”

“And the life in Briah is enclosed,” said Netz, but your universe isn’t. And I, an open flame, live in an enclosed universe. Interesting observation, but it stops with me. The rest of the natives here are like you.”

“Like us?” Haruspex asked, nodding towards the team.

“Yes. Life here is both. And like you, they tend to think there’s something wrong with being in that state. I envy you your potential, being divided from one. I am an island. Will you be okay here if I leave for just a little while? I have an idea for how to help the rest of you.”

“Sure,” Haruspex answered, trying to hide the nervousness in her voice.

Netz darted away, a bright flare signalling her acceleration.

0