The Ice King of Highschool is Thankful for the Autumn Season
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue

 

This is Mizutumari Ame. An acquaintance of Haruhi Yuuta, and our schoolmate.

From what I’ve observed, he likes Yuuta, however, he’s been an asshole lately, berating her to no end.

Yuuta isn’t in school today. From what I’ve heard from her, she got a fever from being caught by a recent drizzle of rain.

She’s often frail in that aspect of falling ill.

I’ve also heard that Mizutumari caught a short cold too, from being completely soaked in rainwater when he attended school one day… however, it doesn’t seem to be as serious as a fever, considering how he recovered almost immediately after taking a two-hour nap in the school’s clinic.

Come to think of it, Mizutumari’s often a loud one. I think I’ve heard of him yelling and bragging about the strength of his immune system once.

Without Yuuta around, he just seems like a normal highschool student who means well.

He just happened to pass by me and…. Well… I needed advice on a particular subject.

I tapped on his shoulder and leaned forward after getting his attention.

“Hm…?

“Mizutumari, what do you think is the best way into a man’s heart?” I asked.

It’s food right…? I thought. But I don’t really know what’s Aozameru’s favorite food.

“Eh…? The best way into a man’s heart…?” He repeated, looking at me with this concerned expression on his face.

Mizutumari reached his right hand towards the back of his head, scratching, as he gave me an answer.

“Well, first of all, don’t you need to cut the man open first…? Y’know, grasping and pulling out his bloody heart before getting into it.”

“Ah…” I exhaled, squinting my eyes in response to his absurd, literal response. “Yuuta was right. I shouldn’t have asked for your advice after all.” I muttered, turning my back on him and walking away.

Just then, I felt a hand grasp gently on my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks. I turned to glance above my shoulder and…

“Wait, I’m kidding.” Mizutumari said. “Of course, I was kidding” He repeated. “The best way into a man’s heart, huh…? Isn’t it the humor?”

“Eh? The humor…? But I could hardly imagine what could possibly make Aozameru laugh.” I thought out loud.

“Humor doesn’t necessarily mean you have to crack a joke to make him laugh. It can mean to generally means to entertain or please. Y’know, playing with him… or something like that.”

“Playing… and pleasuring… with him—

“—Oi, don’t twist my words and get the wrong idea.” He said, sighing. “Happiness is a feeling, and you don’t necessarily find it in someone’s expression. If you can humor that person and enjoy yourself, isn’t that just the ideal way into anyone’s heart?”

“I…” I felt a little speechless. “That was surprisingly profound coming from you.” I complimented.

“No problem… I guess.” He mentioned, looking a little flustered, covering his face with his hand before concealing his emotion with a different expression. He cleared his throat, puffed out his chest, put his right arm on his hip and his left arm holding out his hand, forming a thumbs up with this cocky grin on his face, winking his left eye. “Just give me a good word with Haruhi, alright?” He loudly requested.

“I’ll tell Yuuta to cut you open and pull your bloody heart out.” I said. “But it won’t guarantee that she’ll do it.”

“Sounds hot. I’ll take it.” He replied, walking away, with his right hand in his pocket and his right hand, waving back at me.

 

“Natsumi.” I heard a loud and deep, demeaning voice of a man call out to me in the distance of a hallway.

 

I turned to where I heard my name, and I found the Ice King of our highschool, Aozameru, steaming with some sort of cold fury. I then glanced back in front of me and… Mizutumari’s nowhere to be found.

“Who’s the weird lad you were talking to?” He asked, looking down at me with this colder than usual glare of his.

“Lad…? Who says that in this day and age? Are you an old man or something?” I thought out loud. “I was just talking to Mizutumari about Yuuta. He probably likes her after all.” I paltered.

“Oh…… that guy.”

“Hm…? Sounds like you’ve been acquainted with fond memories.” I mentioned.

“No, not really. I don’t necessarily know him.” Aozameru denied.

You don’t… necessarily…? I thought to myself, as he almost sounded like Mizutumari for a moment.

“So, what’s gotten you to into a bad mood this time?” I asked him.

“It’s nothing you need to know.”

“I… you’re wrong. It IS something I need to know.”

How could I possibly humor him…? The cold, ruthless student whom is entitled as the Ice King of our highschool. How could I humor someone who’s weak against the cold……?

“Ah…! Aozameru, would you like to join me in the hot springs over the next break?” I boldly asked.

“Hm…? You’re going with your family?”

“Well, no. I plan to go alone. With you.”

“Will your parents allow you to?”

“I… well… no… Fair enough.

“Then no.” He bluntly answered.

How cold!!

“Or rather… Thanks for the offer.” He added. “But I’m gonna have to decline. Instead, would you like to join me and my mother this weekend for thanksgiving?” He negotiated.

“You celebrate thanksgiving…?”

“My father’s born and raised from the U.S, though, he isn’t here right now since he’s working abroad.” He explained. “Celebrating thanksgiving seems to be special between my mother and father. It’s special to the point where my mother would like to celebrate it even if my father’s not around.”

“I see… I would love to join you for thanksgiving.”

“Thanks. We’ll be lucky to have you.”

“Oh. Is that so…?” I said, averting my gaze, feeling a little flattered.

“Yeah. As you know. I’m not the social type. So, it gets lonesome for my mother when we just celebrate between the two of us. It’d be great if you can humor her for me.”

Humor…?

“Is… something wrong with that?” He asked with a hint of concern.

“What? No. Not at all…!”

“Well, then. You better get home quick before it gets dark.”

“Huh? Oh, right.”

I almost forgot it’s dismissal time.

“I can walk you home if you’d like.”

“……….”

“……….”

“I would be… much obliged.”

 

 

Chapter 1: Aozameru crashes on a rainy day.

 

October 31st fell by before I even knew it. It’s supposed to be Halloween. In other parts of the world, children would go trick or treating, going door to door of the Halloween adorned lawns and as far as I’ve observed, we don’t do that around the area where I live.  And well… even if we did, it’d practically be impossible……

...due to this strong occurring storm.

I was still in school, Yuuta is still at the hospital, and Shin has club activities inside of the school. I found myself waiting under the roof of the school’s entrance. Even though it seemed impossible, I decided to wait out for the storm to pass. I didn’t bring an umbrella with me, and my home’s just walking distance. So, the next chance I find that the storm softens and weakens into a mere drizzle, I can lift my bag over my head and make a dash for it.

At the meantime, I’ve decided to watch videos of Halloween costume parties on my phone.

A cold breeze blew by and… I couldn’t help but worry about Aozameru at this time.

I’m very well aware that he’ll just freeze up if the temperature drops at least one measly degree.

“Hm…?”

Speak of the devil.

I found him emerging from the front doors of the entrance of the school, and we locked eye contact.

Neither of us spoke a word, but I’m guessing he’s wondering why I haven’t headed home, and well, looking at the harsh shower beyond the school’s rooftop, the reason is apparent.

Everyone else seemed to have gone home, so no one made a fuzz about the Ice-King’s appearance.

However, his time his appearance is well…

“Scary costume you’ve got there for Halloween.”

“I’m not wearing any.”

“Is that so…?

I thought he was cosplaying as the Ice King of our Highschool. He’s wearing layers and layers of clothing, jackets and sweaters underneath his raincoat.

Aozameru set his bag down, unzipped it open and before he zipped his bag close, he pulled out what looked like a really short baton.

“Oh-ho…?”

A clicking sound was heard, and Aozameru swung the baton, extending it. Shortly after, it then popped out to what I then realized was an umbrella.

We then locked eyes again, not saying a word.

“………”

“Take this.”

He tossed me the umbrella.

“Eh? No, I’m fine. Take it back. I insist.” I insisted.

Ironically, the Ice King of our Highschool won’t last a second in the cold.

“No, I insist. I’ll be fine.” He insisted.

“No, you won’t. I’ll be the one who’ll be fine. Thank you very much.” I persisted. “And besides, why are you trying to act so cool in front of me again.”

“………”

He glared at me and just walked away, leaving the umbrella in my hands.

He got out from under the roof of the school’s entrance, and I watched the tall, handsome figure have his raincoat getting soaked in rain water.

I then raised my right hand up to the height of my chin and I looked at it as I observed Aozameru walking further.

By around a foot of distance from the school’s roof, I noticed that he started shivering slightly. By around two feet I noticed that his shivering started becoming apparent. By the fourth feet I noticed that his movement became sluggish. And by the sixth feet, a cold breeze blew by and he just stopped walking and moving all together entirely.

“One minute and forty-six seconds.” I muttered out loud, time checking how long Aozameru’s lasted in the rain with the measurement of my watch.

Another cold breeze blew by, blowing the hood off of his raincoat, exposing the ashen white hair on his head, of which used to be pitch black.

It’s something that happens to Aozameru. He’s entitled the Ice King of Highschool, but once his skin starts to feel the temperature dropping, he’ll freeze up like a wax statue, and the black hair on his head would turn white.

Guess that’s my cue.

I walked towards the helpless Ice King, using the umbrella he lent me. I then lifted the umbrella above his head, and watched him until he turns back to normal…and after a while I got impatient. He’s already wearing layers and layers of jackets underneath the raincoat, and I’m lifting an umbrella over his head, and yet, it doesn’t seem to be enough.

“Hmm…”

I wrapped my arms around his soaked rain coat.

“What the hell are you doing?” He asked me.

“Eh? Well, if you have enough energy to ask questions, then you probably have enough energy to walk.”

“That doesn’t answer my question. What the hell were you doing?” He persisted in asking. “Your shoulder is getting wet, shift the umbrella over to your side.”

“Eh?” Here we go again. “No way. We’ll travel faster if you just don’t freeze up from the cold…!”

“Urk— I don’t need your pity.”

“I’m not pitying you!!”

“Hmph. Very well then. I might just have a better idea.”

“Huh?”

He stripped off his rubber rain coat and slung it around. He held my arm, and shot it through a sleeve, then the other. But because of his height, the length of this raincoat… when I wear it, it looks like a rubber dress.

But even so, that wasn’t enough for him apparently. He held the umbrella right above the handle from where I was holding it, and he forced it a little to be pushed over to my side.

“Stop trying to act cool, dumbass.”

“Who the hell are you calling a dumbass?” He talked back, provoked. “I’m not. and I’ll be fine.”

“……….”

That’s what all the dumbasses say.

I didn’t believe him, but I noticed that his white hair hasn’t changed back to black and yet he’s still moving, walking and talking like he usually is.

That’s something I don’t see often. When his black hair transitions to white, it usually expresses that he’s in what I’d coin as his ‘freeze mode’, where he doesn’t move a single muscle because he’s feeling cold. But he seems to have gotten a little stronger. A little.

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

“Where the hell did you bring me?”

“Look, do your questions always have to include ‘the hell’ every time you ask?”

“………”

He glared at me, and I closed my eyes, sighing.

We were standing in front of a house’s gate. Obviously, it wasn’t Aozameru’s house considering how we didn’t take a train station and that he doesn’t even recognize where we are. So, where else is this supposed to be?

I opened the gate of the house.

“Get in, we’ll wait out till the storm passes by.”

“I’m not going if I don’t know what the hell this place is.”

“Don’t be so stubborn and ignorant and take a goddamn hint. It’s my home, and you’re going to have to greet my parents.”

“Why the hell do I have to? If this is YOUR home, then get in and give me back the umbrella. I’ll be walking myself home, thank you very much.” He snapped back.

To be fair, his reasoning gave a pretty good point… however…

“Alright. You do you. See ya later, Aozameru.”

“Classes will probably be cancelled tomorrow. We’ll probably be acquainted again next week.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that…”

When I said I’ll see him later, I meant it.

I gave him his umbrella and raincoat back as well of which he immediately equipped and utilized. I entered my home and stood under the roof of the entrance, and I watched Aozameru walked further from my home.

I then raised my watch up to chin’s length and observed both the time and Aozameru walking away.

He’s wearing all layers, and he lifted the umbrella above his head this time. he should probably be mobile a few seconds longer than he was when he lent me his umbrella.

And I was right!

He broke a new record.

He froze up around nine feet away from my home, surviving for about two minutes and four seconds.

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

“Hm…? Huh…?”

I woke up in the living room couch with my head on my mother’s lap.

Was that all a dream…? I remember a heavy storm, raining heavily… I remember bringing Aozameru to my home and him freezing up all the time from the rain despite wearing layers and layers of clothing.

After Aozameru froze up in front of my house, I dragged him back into my house. He was unreasonably heavy… or maybe I’m just weak. But regardless, after that I could’ve sworn I let him sleep on my bed with the heater on while I crashed on the living room couch.

I don’t think he greeted my parents considering how he was still frozen when I dragged him in, and that no one noticed me walking to my room until I crashed on the couch.

Was none of that real?

“Oh, Mayoi, you’re awake.” My mother noticed.

I looked out the window and the weather is clear and sunny. It’s surreal!

“Your schoolmate left earlier once the storm completely stopped all of the sudden… I believe his name was Koroji.”

“Oh… is that so…?”

 

 

Guess he was right. I had nothing to worry about.

 

 

Chapter 2: Aozameru’s Alternate color.

 

I noticed that the green leaves of summer started saturating into a redder color. The warm colors are contradicting the low temperature.

As a strong cold breeze passed by, I held my hair with left hand to prevent it from swaying the wrong direction. That was when I also realized that the wind started carrying the pile of fallen leaves.

And as the wind made the trees sway, we were momentarily swarmed by orange leaves.

Before the next Winter, the Autumn season arrived first.

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

“Hm…? what’s going on?”

“Is that Aozameru again?”

A huge crowd accumulated in the hallway again. But this time, it seemed a little too quiet. Less chatter and less Aozameru yelling to disperse the crowd.

Out of the student body. Mizutumari popped out, walking towards us and seemingly avoiding the scene.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

And for a brief moment, he glanced at me to respond.

“Aozameru’s alternate color showed up to school today.”

Alternate color…? Ah, Mizutumari disappeared again.

I wonder how and when will this crowd disperse this time…? Is Aozameru in some sort of trouble…?

All of the sudden, the crowd started moving. Our schoolmates started making way for the hallway. It’s not like they’re going to be late for class, and it’s not like they’re being considerate for the people who want to pass through… but it seemed as though they were making way for a certain person. And frankly, it reminds me of cars in a traffic, making way for an ambulance or something to that effect.

That certain person they were making way for…… didn’t seem to be Aozameru at first glance.

This student seemed to be as tall as him, though was slouching a little. He looked paler than Aozameru, and his distinct features were his glaces and his snow-white hair. Though, I can’t help but feel as though I’ve recognized him somewhere…

“Hm…?”

He was wearing his long sleeves winter uniform, but for a short moment, I could’ve sworn I saw gauze pads and bandages under it.

I suppose another thing that distinguishes this person from Aozameru… would be his eyes. The Ice-King of our Highschool usually has this narrow glare in his eyes, furrowing his eyebrows somewhat tightly. This new student however, his eyes were far from a glare, and seemed definitely wider than Aozameru’s. Perhaps his glasses are making his eyes look bigger…?

“Ah, he’s coming this way.” Shin noticed.

“Eh?”

For some reason he looked as though he was approaching me specifically. He stood tall before me, blanketing me with his shadow. This definitely feels familiar.

“Good morning.” He quietly greeted.

His voice sounds familiar too…!!

I wonder what Mizutumari meant about Alternate colors…

Was he referring to alternate colors in… fighting games…? I mean, in fighting games, if two or more players choose the same fighter, then that fighter would have to switch to an alternate color or skin so that the players would be able to tell which fighter they’re controlling.

For Aozameru’s case…

“Do I know you?” I bluntly asked the tall white-haired student.

Of which he responded with a glare of his own, however, it looked to be more of a cute pout than a glare as fearful as Aozameru’s.

“How cold.” He replied. “Don’t I usually have some sort of ridiculous title in this school?”

“What title…?”

“Ice-Ki—”

“—Aozameru…?”

“…………”

“I didn’t know you needed glasses.”

“It’s not necessary for me to wear them. I may be a little near sighted, though I wouldn’t say my eye sight is that bad.”

“So, what made you want to wear them today?”

“………”

“………”

“I just figured that I wanted to see your face clearer than my bare eyes could see.”

“Hm…? Is that so…?” I said, staring at Aozameru’s arm.

“You seem oddly nonchalant about his flattering comment.” Shin thought out loud.

“Well… I suppose I’m just concerned about something else…”

I got ahold of Aozameru’s arm.

“Eh? What are you doing?” He asked, flinching a little.

“Isn’t it painful?” I asked, squeezing his arm.

“I… uh… well……”

He’s stalling…!!

“Y’know, from this up close, I can see all the details of your face.” Aozameru added, staring directly into my eyes and face. “All your imperfections as well, like your pores—”

“THEN TAKE THOSE OFF RIGHT THIS INSTANT—!!!”

“Eh? No! Stop…!!”

I took of his glasses and…

“I told you that I’m near-sighted didn’t I…? There’s no point in removing my glasses. As long as you stand this close to me.”

“Ah. The scary Aozameru is back.”

“And what is that exactly supposed to mean?!”

“I suppose these glasses DO just make your eyes bigger.”

“I.. Is that so…?”

And not just that…

“Your ice-cold glare is back as well.” I added.

I wonder if he glared and furrowed his eyebrows all the time because of his poor eyesight.

“Don’t get the wrong idea. My eyesight REALLY isn’t that bad.”

“You’re in denial.”

Shin tugged my sleeve.

“Save the chatter for later. We’ll be late for class.”

“Eh? It’s that time already…? Well, see ya Aozameru.”

“You’re still visiting for thanks giving right?”

“Yeah, of course…!”

Thanksgiving…?” Shin muttered. “I didn’t know you celebrated thanksgiving.”

“I don’t. Though, apparently, Aozameru does and he’s inviting me to celebrate it with his mother this weekend.”

“Hmmm…?”

“Don’t think too much about it.”

“I’m not. It’s just that, it’s kind of quick that you’re meeting his parents already.”

“I’m not meeting the both of his parents. His father is overseas. I’m only meeting his mother. And besides, why make a big deal about it…? Childhood friends meet each other’s parents all the time.”

“But you and Aozameru aren’t childhood friends.”

“……..Fair enough.

“Although…… Aren’t you two going out?” She asked.

“………”

“………”

“If we were, then I’m completely unaware of it.”

“Hm…? Is that so?

 

At the end of the day, we were able to attend class on time.

 

 

Chapter 3: The Ice Delinquents

 

Yuuta is hospitalized and Shin has club activities.

I found myself walking home alone again. Maybe I should’ve invited Aozameru to accompany again. However, I couldn’t find him after school.

“Hm…? Isn’t that Mizutumari?”

Why do I feel like I’ve been seeing him a lot these days? Though, I suppose he isn’t exactly a mysterious person… However, I guess I’ve heard Yuuta say that he’s shady.

The last time I asked for his advice, I sensed some jealousy from Aozameru. But it seems like they are… or were close friends. So, I might as well try to press some information from him.

I approached Mizutumari.

“Yo, Mizutumari!!”

“Hm…?”

He oddly flinched when I called his name, but he doesn’t seem to mean any harm or ill will as he stopped in his tracks to turn around and respond to me.

“Yo….”

I looked up at his head.

“Ah, a red leaf landed on your head.” I said, reaching my hand over his head.

“Oh.”

He’s taller than me, but isn’t as tall as Aozameru, so I didn’t really have any difficulty picking up the leaf off of his head.

“You’re heading home?” I asked.

Though, upon hearing my question, he jumped a little. He suspiciously smirked and averted his eye contact.

“Yeah, I guess you could say that.”

“Hm…”

“How are you?” He shifted the conversation topic.

“I’m… alright I guess.”

“Did you get to utilize the advice I gave you the other day?”

“Ah! Yeah. Well. Not really, not yet. But I will soon.”

“I see, I see!’

“I’ll visit Aozameru to celebrate thanksgiving with his mother this weekend.” I explained. “He asked me to entertain his mother, and in that case, I’ll be able to humor him too.”

“Good for you.” He kindly responded.

“What about you?” I asked in return. “By the looks of it, Yuuta hasn’t killed and cut you open.”

“Yeah, well… I’d prefer it if she gets better first.” He replied. “It’s distasteful for me to be killed by a person who’s feeling ill.”

“So, you DO want to be killed? What a weirdo you are.

“Well… I don’t support suicide, let alone a double one. And I’d rather that no one else has to get hurt. So, killing me is the only option, I guess. That way, I’d be the only victim and no one else has to die unless of old age.”

“That’s… oddly elaborate and perceptive of you. Doesn’t change the fact that wanting to be killed is weird.”

“I can accept that. But don’t get the wrong idea, I’m not a masochist or anything. It’s definitely different from wanting to be killed.”

“A masochist… huh?”

When was the last time I heard about masochists again…?

“No, no, no. NOT a masochist.” He declared.

“Right. By the way, is this really the way to your house?”

“Huh. Oh. No, I’m just taking a detour that just happens to pass by the hospital. Nothing suspicious. I swear.”

“Oh… I see how it is. Well, I’ll leave you to it then. My house is over a different direction. See ya…!”

“Talk to ya later” He nodded. “Oh, by the way. Have your guard up and becareful if you’re passing by the convenient store near the train station.”

“Hm…? alright…? Did something come up?”

“I’ve heard rumors of delinquents harassing people with a plastic bag of projectiles that disappear from the scene.”

“Is that so…? Sounds scary. I’ll keep an eye out for it from now on.”

“Alright, take care now.”

After going our separate ways, I decided to go to the convenience store near the train station to see what Mizutumari was talking about.

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

The wind seems to be starting to really pick up from here. I suppose it’s the fall season after all. The trees start balding from its orange leaves because of the cold from the upcoming winter season.

I’ve arrived only a good distance from the convenient store. I’d be lying if I said that Mizutumari’s new advice didn’t scare me a single bit.

‘Delinquents who harass people with a bag of disappearing projectiles’…… It sounds ridiculous. I wonder if those projectiles could hurt or injure. And to remove evidence, could those delinquents really pick up every single projectile they threw at the person they harass…?

“Huh? Aozameru…?”

I spot a tall young man wearing our school’s uniform, facing a group of other students wearing a different uniform from him. I recognized the lone student to be Aozameru from his face, and well… I’m sure to have his distinctive features fresh to my memory since he’s wearing glasses, and he’s the only one I know who can have snow-white hair at such a young and handsome age.

Usually, he’s the type to torment people, but for some reason I have a feeling that he’s the one being tormented in this situation.

The group of students before him was carrying a what seemed to be a white plastic bag. And they were talking to him… but I couldn’t quite make out what they’re saying from this distance.

They had this really annoying smug look, furrowing their eyebrows at Aozameru as though they were filled with malicious intent.

Aozameru on the other hand…… well, I couldn’t quite see what his expressions are. His mouth frowned a little bit, and his eyebrows look furrowed, but I couldn’t quite see his eyes as the glint of his glasses obstructed the view.

“Wait, stop!!!” I shouted, but they didn’t notice me.

I realized what was happening. Those were the delinquents harassing people with disappearing projectiles. From the plastic bag, they picked up what looked like translucent snowballs and they started throwing it at Aozameru.

They look like snowballs but they’re more solid...! It smacks right across his arms and body, and it breaks like glass when it crashes into the ground.

It was a painful sight to watch, and I couldn’t help but find myself running towards him.

That idiot! Why isn’t he running away?? I know he’s the type to intimidate people, but surely he isn’t THAT stupid.

“………”

….eh?

I slowed down my pace as I observed the scene in front of the convenient store.

The group of delinquents stopped throwing projectiles all of the sudden. Did they run out of ammo or something…? They flipped the entire plastic bag upside down and nothing came out of it but what seemed to be water.

Aozameru then approached them normally as though he was never injured and…… before I knew it he kicked the shin of one delinquent, then he bluntly smacked another in the head with his bare fist. Then he lifted the remaining one by the collar of his uniform.

The empty bag of supposed projectiles fluttered and flew away as the wind carried it.

Aozameru threw the delinquent he lifted into the ground, letting them get away, leaving them limping, rubbing their head, and running away.

Shortly after, Aozameru just sort of crashed into a bench near the convenience store’s entrance.

 I then took my time to approach him, and by the time I reached the street right in front of the convenience store, I noticed a fragment of what seemed to be the projectiles that the delinquents were throwing. I noticed that the projectiles they threw shattered when it crashes into the ground. It’s not exactly disappearing as I’ve heard from Mizutumari.

I picked up the fragment of the projectile and… It’s cold!! I almost dropped it immediately upon picking it up, but I realized that it was just ice.

“Hmm… Ice huh…?”

So THIS is the disappearing projectile I’ve so heard about. It seems to be a fragment from a round ball of ice, iconically used for liquor drinks in a glass.

I then glanced over the supposedly injured Ice King.

“…………”

I have an idea.

I approached Aozameru then I stripped his arm off of the sleeve of his winter uniform. He flinched and glared a little, but seemed to be too tired to complain. He seemed to relax a little when he realized that it was just me. Someone he recognizes.

“What the hell are you doing?” He asked with this pained and irritated look on his face.

His arm had a few bandages, but it was mostly filled with protruding bruises. I then applied the fragment of ice I picked up onto his injuries and…

“Ngrhhh…!” He exhaled a little, gritting his teeth and growling a little in pain.

I then watched his straight black hair gradually revert into a soft, thin and fluffy snow-white.

“Oh, grow a pair will ya?” I ranted out loud. “Don’t you think you should get over your vulnerability of the cold…? It really diminishes your title as ICE king in our highschool. And besides, don’t you think it’s an inconvenience, y’know, being absurdly weak against the cold and all—”

“No, not at all.” He briefly responded. “I inherited my white hair from my mother, and I’m tired of people saying I resemble my father more when he’s rarely around.”

“Hmm…? Is that so…?”

That almost sounded like a pathetic and pitiful excuse.

“Now stay still.” I added. “You’re not bleeding anywhere are you?” I asked, preparing to buy some bandages from the convenience store.

“What do you think— OW…!!!”

“Ah, sorry.”

I squeezed his bruised arm tightly. Of course, I felt bad and apologized but… for some reason that kind of felt fun. And for some reason, seeing Aozameru’s pained expression felt like a new experience to me.

“I’m not, I’m not bleeding anywhere. Now get your hands off of me and get that look of unhinged curiosity out of your eyes.”

“Oh. Did I really look like that? I’m sorry again. I just wanted to see what different expressions you would make, Aozameru—”

“………”

I squeezed his arm tightly again, but no reaction came out of it. It looked as though he’s had enough and that he bit his lip enduring the pain while glaring at me to stop.

“Okay, I’ll stop.” I declared, removing my hand from his arm. “Just try not to get hurt again next time, okay? I know you’ve got a reputation of being an Ice king in our highschool, but it’s better to be safe than for me to feel sorry for you.”

“Hmph.”

“Y’know, you could’ve easily avoided all these injuries if you just ran the opposite direction and avoided them. Why didn’t you? Why did you just stand there?”

“I wasn’t just standing there” He replied. “I was waiting for them to run out of ammunition.”

“Okay, then couldn’t you have at least tried to defend yourself or dodged?”

“Dodging like that only happens in manga. From our distance, it’s impossible to dodge a single thing they were throwing at me.”

Your hair turning white when you feel cold is something that only happens in manga…!!

“But why stick around. Why care about dealing with those delinquents when you could’ve easily avoided them.”

“Knowing that idiots like them exist in my vicinity makes life a little more intolerable to live. So, someone’s gotta dispose of them.”

“More of them exist in the entire world. You might as well kill yourself.”

“Don’t say that.” He stated, glaring into my eyes meaningfully. “I don’t support suicide. I don’t support the idea of suicide nor do I support promoting people to commit suicide.”

“Me neither, I was just kidding—”

“—Even if you’re just joking.”

“………”

“………”

“…I’m sorry.”

I felt really guilty all of the sudden taking a serious matter so lightly. Perhaps dark humor isn’t the way to go. I looked stared into Aozameru’s eyes full of resentment towards my jest, and I reflected on the horrible things I just said.

Looking at him during that time felt like a momentarily curse of which made me hold my breath while it lasted. Though, as soon as he averted his gaze from mine, I grasped onto my chest and took a deep breath.

“Oh, and promise me that you’ll get to show more of your different expressions to me next time okay…? Ah, the ice melted. I’ll go buy more in the convenience store, then I’ll walk you home.”

“No need.”

“Which part? The ice pack or me walking you home?”

“Both.”

“Oh. Don’t be like that. I’ll treat your injuries, and at the same time, you get to feel safer walking home.”

“Bold of you to assume I felt danger in the first place. And besides, how could you possibly protect me from them.”

“What was that…?” I asked, grasping his arm again, tighter.

He let out a little groan in pain as a response.

I closed my eyes, then opened them and looked at Aozameru dead in the eye with a blank smile on my face hanging open.

“You know Kuroji, you’re not the only person who can express pain.”

“…Kuroji…?”

“Ah, sorry a slip off my tongue. But seriously. I’m sure you’ll feel safer when I’m around. I mean, if ever they show up again, you won’t let them hurt a hair on my head, right?”

“…………”

“And besides, if things really do go south……” I pulled out a cardboard cutter from my right pocket and extracted it open, then I pulled out a lighter from my left pocket and ignited it. “I’ll stick this in their eye and make them drink lighter fluid.” I reassured him. “Just kidding……… half-kidding.

I’m most likely to wound them and spray rubbing alcohol on their bloody injury.

“Seems like I don’t have to protect you after all.” He admitted. “I’ll be protecting the delinquents FROM you.”

“O-oi….”

I know he’s joking, but coming from the Ice King of our highschool, that kind of sounds scary.

At the end of the day, the both of us walked each other home safely, and no such stabbing or poisoning incidents happened.

 

Though, before I knew it, the day I’ll be spending Thanksgiving with Aozameru and his mother is sooner than I thought.

 

 

Chapter 4: Thanksgiving with the Aozamerus.

 

I’m so excited and motivated right now, but I’m trying to deny it. There’s no reason to be this amped up. I’ll just be visiting Aozameru for thanksgiving. That’s all. And I’ll just be treating his mother as if she were my own or my aunt or…any of my older relatives really.

But well… I guess that’s really not the issue here.

The bare truth is that I’m nervous and it’s a habit of mine to turn that nervousness into excitement. However, this is Aozameru we’re talking about here. The Ice King of our highschool who barely smiles and is all glares. I haven’t met his mother yet, though, I’m getting the impression that she’ll resemble him in some sort of way as well…

Now that I think about it, he DID mention that he inherited his snow-white hair from his mother. But I wonder if there were other things in particular, he inherited as well.

…Like his irascibility.

If that was the case then I’d have to be even more dejected than to resort to expressing my excitement. I’d hate to be the only comedian in front of a tough crowd.

“And at the same time, I’m supposed to humor them…” I muttered quietly to myself.

I looked at the mirror and found myself fixing this… contradicting expression. My eyes and eyebrows fixing a concerned expression while my cheeks and lips stretched into a wild smile, expressing happiness, and vast excitement.

I immediately felt disgusted at my own expression, so I grasped my chest, I shook my head and took a deep breath.

There’s no way I’m going unhinged over of this.

I picked up my bag and slung it around my shoulder before greeting my parents and exiting through the front door.

“Oh, you’re going to Haruhi house, right?” my mother asked.

Ah, that’s right. I told my parents that I was heading to Yuuta’s house. I don’t think they’d let me if I told them that I was going to Aozameru’s house, whom was known as a dangerous person.

“Yep!” I lied.

I should’ve used a better excuse too. I’m pretty sure Yuuta’s still at the hospital recovering from her… fever.

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

I found Aozameru waiting for me at the first train station. And oddly enough, this may be the first time I’ve ever seen him in his casual clothes considering that I’ve only seen him in his school uniform or a yukata.

“You’re ready to go?” He asked.

“I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t sure.” I replied.

“Fair enough.” He responded, turning his back on me and heading first into the train.

The train was scheduled to leave immediately as we boarded, and there, I pressed on Aozameru for more details about his mother.

“So, what’s your mother like?” I asked, sitting down beside him.

“You’ll know what she’s like when you get there and meet her.”

“Well, that’s pretty obvious, but it would be ideal to know what kind of person she is so that I could humor her with a little bit more ease.”

I felt the presence of Aozameru momentarily glancing at my face.

“I’m sure you’ll get along with her just fine.”

Eh? What is that supposed to mean…?

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

We finally arrived in front of his house and this seems to be the second time I’ve ever seen it. The last time was over summer season, and I’ve only ever seen it from outside of the gate.

White walls, black gate, front yard, green garden, terrace, garage, balcony, black-tainted windows, heavy front door behind a black screen door…

“Hm…?”

I noticed a carved pumpkin by the front door way. Aozameru told me that his father’s from overseas and that his mother and him would celebrate thanksgiving without him, but I didn’t think they’d also adorn their house with at least a single Halloween décor.

The carved pumpkin looked cute, it made me wonder who carved it.

“What are you stalling for? There aren’t any traps if you step on the wrong tile or anything.”

I stepped on the land of the home of the Aozameru family for the first time. I removed my shoes then I followed him to the front door.

“Excuse me…!” I greeted.

“Kuroji you’re home…! Eh? Who’s this pretty lady you brought with you? Is she your girlfriend?” His mother asked.

His mother is a beautiful woman with white, back-length hair whom was just an inch or two taller than I was. And I don’t mean to be rude, but I suppose she’s coming of age as well.

“Hm? I don’t know. She just likes to follow me around for some reason.”

“OI! YOU’RE the one who invited me over.” I said, a little pissed off by his response. “I’m Natsumi Mayoi, and technically… Aozam…. Your son is my upperclassman. It’s nice to meet you, Ms. Aozameru.”

I introduced myself, almost forgetting that the two people I’m talking to are both Aozamerus.

“It’s nice to meet you too.” His mother stated. “You can call me Yuki.”

“Great, now that the both of you have been acquainted. I’ll just be in my room, pretending that I don’t exist.” Aozameru stated, going upstairs. “Call me when its dinner time.”

“Eh, Kuroji, but didn’t you invite Natsumi over? You should entertain your guests—” Aozameru’s mother told him. Then she shifted her gaze over to me. “Don’t mind him, that’s just his way of being considerate.”

“So, what’s Aoza… What was your son like as a child?” I asked his mother first. “I would like to know more about him.”

“Likewise, I want to know more about him too. What was he like in school?” Yuki asked in return. “Oh, and why don’t you call him Kuroji for a change?”

“Hm…? is it really okay for me to call him by his first name?”

“Why not? you’re the first girl he’s invited over, isn’t it safe to assume that you’re that close of a friend to him already?”

“Okay then…… what was Kuroji like as a child?” I asked.

“That sounds much better.” Yuki encouraged. “And to answer your question… well……”

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

Yuki and I exchanged stories about her son. She’d tell me stories about Aozameru Kuroji in his childhood while I would tell her stories about the Ice king of our Highschool.

And it turns out that he hadn’t always been the Ice King of Highschool I knew today.

“I guess you could say that he’s become of something he never thought he’ll become when he was a child. He had always been a cheerful child even though he’s shy towards our relatives. He’d tell me stories about his childhood friend…. Mizutumari… was it?”

Mizutumari…? Kuroji’s childhood friend…?

“He’d always hate the idea of depression, edgy adolescents, and committing suicide. He was more outgoing, and other than school, he’d prefer to be outside more.”

I already knew about him hating how people joke about suicide. Though, I guess he did become what looked like the image of a depressed and edgy adolescent.

He’s clamming up in his room right now until his mother calls him for dinner, but I suppose I can see him still preferring to be outside and outgoing more. I mean, he likes watching the cherry blossoms bloom, and he likes to watch the fireworks at the summer festival.

“The Ice King of Highschool, my son, huh?” His mother muttered, before giggling to herself a little bit. “That’s a funny title.” She commented. “Though, just know this.” She followed up with advice. “Being happy and cheerful and all that is something he’s put past of from his childhood. That goes to say that he isn’t usually cheerful nowadays even though he may seem or come off as happy. And honestly, that’s perfectly fine. If he usually has this serious look on his face, then he’s probably doing fine. However, if he’s unusually expressing cheerfulness, then something may have happened to him or that he’s just putting up a front. If something does happen to him, it should be easy to tell. You can read him like an open book, or at least I can as his mother, him grow up as I’ve raised him.”

“Hm… is that so…?”

It sounds complicated even if she explains it.

“You can also tell when he’s not in the mood since he would look down more than usual.

“I guess I see that.”

“And I suppose one last thing would be…. that if he starts to get sarcastic or if he answers faster than you could finish your sentence, then you’re telling or asking him something he already knows. And he hates being told or asked to do what he already knows.”

“Oh, is that so…? Sounds like helpful info. I’ll keep it in mind from now on, the next time he pulls a fast quip talking back on me.”

Her advice so far definitely sounds like something a mother would experience with an edgy son like Kuroji Aozameru.

While I’m at it…

“Can you also tell me what his favorite foods are?”

“Favorite foods…? Hmm… well… He’s not a picky eater. Honestly, he’s been a good child who’d eat any vegetable on his plate even the most bitter ones.” Yuki explained. “But as for his favorite… It might just be carbonara.”

“Carbonara…?”

“Yeah, pasta noodles with sauce of cheese and egg and chunks of bacon. However, he doesn’t like the instant sauce that can be bought at the store…” She added. “Come to the kitchen, I’ve taught Aozameru how to cook various of dishes before, and I can teach you too while we’re preparing for the thanksgiving dinner.”

 

🍁                 🍁               🍁

 

Yuki called Aozameru for dinner, and I watched him as he took the steps down the stairs. He was wearing a more comfortable home clothes than the casual he was wearing when he brought me here, and it’s kind of my first time seeing his snow-white hair form into some sort of bedhead.

We all sat down by the dinner table with this feast of food in front of us. Can three people really finish all this…? A whole baked chicken, mashed potatoes, Bolognese pasta, carbonara, garlic bread, pizza, Caesar salad, a fruit salad, and all sorts of soft drinks.  

“Mayoi, I hope you’ll continue to take care of my son.” Aozameru’s mother stated.

“Oh. Well, I don’t think I’ve done anything to take care of him so far. He doesn’t need me. He’s taken care of himself before I met him, and he’s been taking care of himself pretty well these days as well, it seems.”

“That’s not true.” Aozameru interjected. “Over the winter season, you warmed me up when I was cold. During the spring and summer season, you accompanied me to see the cherry blossoms bloom, and to see the fireworks from the summer festival. At the end of October, you gave me a place to stay while the storm raged.  And just the other day, you treated my bruises with an ice pack.” He explained.

Eh, what’s this…? Why is he appreciating me all of the sudden?

“You’re right about the fact that I probably didn’t need you. I probably don’t deserve you either. But don’t get the wrong idea, I’m really thankful for all the times I’ve spent with you, and I’m always looking forward to the next.”

“I…”

I don’t know what to say. I suppose I’m thankful for him too…

“That was beautiful, Kuroji.” His mother complimented.

“Oh right. And I’m thankful for you giving birth to me and taking care of me after all of these years mother.” He added, thanking his mother.

HE’S MORE THANKFUL FOR ME THAN HIS OWN MOTHER!!! I thought in shock.

“And I’m thankful to have a reliable son like you.” His mother replied back with a warm smile on her face.

“I suppose I’m thankful to have met Aozameru (Kuroji and Yuki) as well. I wouldn’t have experienced many things I’ve enjoyed from the past four seasons of this year, and nor would I be here enjoying my first thanks giving dinner.”

 Honestly…

 

 

 

I am thankful for the Ice King of Highschool during the Autumn Season.

And for the three seasons before it.

After thanksgiving dinner, Aozameru walked me to the station and rode a train with me, walking me home afterwards.

And right before he dropped me off and parted ways. This was what he said to me.

“All of what I said back there at dinner. I meant it. All of it. For you to aid me when I thought that I didn’t need it……

 

I am much obliged.”

0